Dirty Diana Wembley

jduddy264

Proud Member
As everyone knows Dirty Diana was taken out of the set out of respect for Princess Diana at one of the 1988 Wembley gigs. Michael later found it was Diana's favourite song, but says it was too late to have it put back in. Why couldn't it be? The second leg pf the tour had been going for a while, the band had been playing for months by then. Couldn't Michael have just said "Hey guys Dirty Diana's back in the set, just as usual."? Also, because Dirty Diana was taken out of the set, was anything put in to replace it, or was that particular gig one song shorter than the rest?

He probably could have, but he must have had his reasons to why not!

Good question, I wondered that as well. I am not in the industry so I don't know how difficult it is to make changes to the song set.

As everyone knows Dirty Diana was taken out of the set out of respect for Princess Diana at one of the 1988 Wembley gigs. Michael later found it was Diana's favourite song, but says it was too late to have it put back in. Why couldn't it be? The second leg pf the tour had been going for a while, the band had been playing for months by then. Couldn't Michael have just said "Hey guys Dirty Diana's back in the set, just as usual."? Also, because Dirty Diana was taken out of the set, was anything put in to replace it, or was that particular gig one song shorter than the rest?

I think that he just didn't want to offend the royal family, or England. Also, I belive he had the hots for her (he still does, just look at that grin on his face when he talks about her) and didn't want to disrespect her when she was sitting in the audience. I completely unsterstand. I would've taken it out, too.

Last edited:
It takes a hell of a lot more than just saying "Put that song back in the set guys", have to think of timing, staging, lighting and sound issues/set ups. Those shows are not as simple as they appear.

Yeah you are right about that, I didn't even think about that!

ALSO, the press would NO doubt had turned it into a negative thing. I was in the BAD era the media turned against him wasn't it? They would say he had no respect for Diana singing that song in her presence!

That concert which Prince Charles and Princess Diana attended was the first ever concert and Michael Jackson concert I ever attended. The media rumor that Michael wasn't going to perform Dirty Diana, and to my surprise he did perform Dirty Diana. The removal of Dirty on 16/07/1988 when Prince Charles and Princess Diana attended is nothing more than an urban myth as created by fans out of nothing. The only song Michael didn't perform when Princess Diana attended the Bad Tour at Wembley was The Way You Make Me Feel.

Michael performed Dirty Diana at all of his UK concerts, fans would have been offended if he had left the song out of the UK tour, as it was a big hit in the UK just before the Bad Tour started in the UK. In the late 1980's their was a huge backlash against the Royal Family in the UK, that lasted until Diana's death in 1997, so Michael wouldn't have offended us in England at the time. And he didn't offended both the public or the Royal Family by performing Dirty Diana. Princess Diana also insisted Michael perform the song as it was a favorite of her's. Also at the time of the release of the Bad album in 1997 many in the media thought Dirty Diana was about Diana Ross not Princess Diana, as their were rumors he'd fallen out with her because of her marriage in 1986 to a Norwegin Business man.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana were booed light hearted (though it's still not respectful in my opinion) way when they took their seats in the Royal Box, a long way from the stage because everyone was their for Michael Jackson. The expression on Prince Charles and Princess Diana's face saw that they found the booing quite funny and they looked very relaxed.

There was no controversy about Michael performing Dirty Diana the day after the peformance with Princess Diana in the audience. Michael had the most amazing press in 1988, the media where saying Michael was the Greatest Live Performer of all time and even in the eyes of the media Michael could do no wrong in 1988. The whole dark negativity didn't get out of hand until the release of Dangerous because Michael had been too successful for too long. If Michael had performed Dirty Diana in front of Princess Diana on the Dangerous Tour in 1992 (which Prince Charles attended alone without Diana) then it would have been made in to a controversy.

I have no doubt some of you will disagree with me, as I had some fans on a now defunct MJ web site get abusive towards me, asking me to prove I was at the concert etc (well I still have my concert ticket). Being a 16yr old in 1988 was different to now, nothing to record video or sound with as you can do on your mobiles now. You didn't really think of having things like cameras etc. But I was at that concert and I can say 100% accuracy that Michael did perform Dirty Diana.

Last edited:
That concert which Prince Charles and Princess Diana attended was the first ever concert and Michael Jackson concert I ever attended. The media rumor that Michael wasn't going to perform Dirty Diana, and to my surprise he did perform Dirty Diana. The removal of Dirty on 16/07/1988 when Prince Charles and Princess Diana attended is nothing more than an urban myth as created by fans out of nothing. The only song Michael didn't perform when Princess Diana attended the Bad Tour at Wembley was The Way You Make Me Feel.

Michael performed Dirty Diana at all of his UK concerts, fans would have been offended if he had left the song out of the UK tour, as it was a big hit in the UK just before the Bad Tour started in the UK. In the late 1980's their was a huge backlash against the Royal Family in the UK, that lasted until Diana's death in 1997, so Michael wouldn't have offended us in England at the time. And he didn't offended both the public or the Royal Family by performing Dirty Diana. Princess Diana also insisted Michael perform the song as it was a favorite of her's. Also at the time of the release of the Bad album in 1997 many in the media thought Dirty Diana was about Diana Ross not Princess Diana, as their were rumors he'd fallen out with her because of her marriage in 1986 to a Norwegin Business man.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana were booed light hearted (though it's still not respectful in my opinion) way when they took their seats in the Royal Box, a long way from the stage because everyone was their for Michael Jackson. The expression on Prince Charles and Princess Diana's face saw that they found the booing quite funny and they looked very relaxed.

There was no controversy about Michael performing Dirty Diana the day after the peformance with Princess Diana in the audience. Michael had the most amazing press in 1988, the media where saying Michael was the Greatest Live Performer of all time and even in the eyes of the media Michael could do no wrong in 1988. The whole dark negativity didn't get out of hand until the release of Dangerous because Michael had been too successful for too long. If Michael had performed Dirty Diana in front of Princess Diana on the Dangerous Tour in 1992 (which Prince Charles attended alone without Diana) then it would have been made in to a controversy.

I have no doubt some of you will disagree with me, as I had some fans on a now defunct MJ web site get abusive towards me, asking me to prove I was at the concert etc (well I still have my concert ticket). Being a 16yr old in 1988 was different to now, nothing to record video or sound with as you can do on your mobiles now. You didn't really think of having things like cameras etc. But I was at that concert and I can say 100% accuracy that Michael did perform Dirty Diana.

Michael said himself in private home movies he took out Dirty Diana out of respect for her, ur talking crap!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csATILWkwg8

I think that he just didn't want to offend the royal family, or England.

Exactly. Could you imagine the amount of heat he probably would have received in England had he done that song? Even if Diana would have said afterwords "oh I love that song I was all for it" he would have gotten a lot of crap over there.

The only way he could have done it is if he came out and said "I know this is your favorite Diana, so this ones for you" and then proceeded to sing it. Then it would have been fine.

But I still think he did the right thing as far as protecting himself from attacks from London.

Michael said himself in private home movies he took out Dirty Diana out of respect for her, ur talking crap!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csATILWkwg8

I'm not talking crap (your tone is argumentive, read the MJJC rules about respecting members), Michael did sing Dirty Diana when Princess Diana attended his Bad Tour at Wembley. You weren't at that concert in 1988, I was and I know for a fact Michael did sing Dirty Diana !

Michael saying he didn't sing Dirty Diana on his Home Movies documentary is contradictary and inaccurate, because in an interview in 1997 he confirmed that he did sing Dirty Diana because Princess Diana insisted he should as seen in this clip from 1997.

Anyone who has seen and heard a lot of Michael's interviews know can be quite forgetful and is not always accurate about things in his own career, and Michael sometimes exaggerates things. Michael discribed Rod Temperton as a guy from Germany in his Ebony interview in 2007, when it's a well known fact his English, from Hull and has a very Northern English accent and obviously isn't German. I can find many quotes from Michael that aren't accurate. And Michael did sing Dirty Diana on 16/08/1988 !!!

Here is an audio clip of Michael saying the English Rod Temperton is a guy from Germany, which shows how Michael isn't aways accurate about facts of his own career.

Exactly. Could you imagine the amount of heat he probably would have received in England had he done that song? Even if Diana would have said afterwords "oh I love that song I was all for it" he would have gotten a lot of crap over there.

The only way he could have done it is if he came out and said "I know this is your favorite Diana, so this ones for you" and then proceeded to sing it. Then it would have been fine.

But I still think he did the right thing as far as protecting himself from attacks from London.

There is no "Exactly" about it, Michael did sing Dirty Diana in 1988 in front of Princess Diana and the media didn't make any thing of it. Considering you think Michael would have taken a lot of heat in England, shows you have no experience of Michael during the Bad era or the English peoples view of the royal family in the 1980's. I attended that concert, and I know how my own country viewed the royal family and Michael Jackson at the time.

Thanks Benscarr, really nice bit of information :)

Thanks, I wasn't going to add to this thread because I know fans who weren't born or were infant and babies would attack me, but they are not in a position to do so and I'm one of the few fans in this site who did attended the Bad Tour. I wouldn't lie to you fans, I don't think it's right fans believe and are given misinformation about Michael not performing Dirty Diana at when Princess Diana attended the concert.

Last edited:
I've always heard he didn't perform Dirty Diana, but then again I wasn't to the concert and I know Mike often says things that aren't true. I think it was in private homevideos he said he performed in front of a sea of people like 200.000, the actual audionce was 45.000. And many other stuff he has said, but I always thought he didn't perform DD in front of Diana.

But then again I wasn't there so I wouldn't know!

I'm not talking crap (your tone is argumentive, read the MJJC rules about respecting members), Michael did sing Dirty Diana when Princess Diana attended his Bad Tour at Wembley. You weren't at that concert in 1988, I was and I know for a fact Michael did sing Dirty Diana !

Michael saying he didn't sing Dirty Diana on his Home Movies documentary is contradictary and inaccurate, because in an interview in 1997 he confirmed that he did sing Dirty Diana because Princess Diana insisted he should as seen in this clip from 1997.

Anyone who has seen and heard a lot of Michael's interviews know can be quite forgetful and is not always accurate about things in his own career, and Michael sometimes exaggerates things. Michael discribed Rod Temperton as a guy from Germany in his Ebony interview in 2007, when it's a well known fact his English, from Hull and has a very Northern English accent and obviously isn't German. I can find many quotes from Michael that aren't accurate. And Michael did sing Dirty Diana on 16/08/1988 !!!

Not saying I dont belive you, but that clip you showed from 1997 doesnt prove what your saying. He just ends it saying that she wanted him to do it, he didnt say whether he took it out or left it in.

Just thought I would point that out :)

I would more towards thinking he didnt do it though, I know he gets mixed up sometimes but I would rather believe the guy who was actually involved in the situation and whose concert it was than some random fan.

Sorry but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:

ANd even then, he woud've had to leave out his "dance" with the microphone.:rofl: People would've thought that the mike represented what he'd like to do with her:hysterical:

I've always heard he didn't perform Dirty Diana, but then again I wasn't to the concert and I know Mike often says things that aren't true. I think it was in private homevideos he said he performed in front of a sea of people like 200.000, the actual audionce was 45.000. And many other stuff he has said, but I always thought he didn't perform DD in front of Diana.

But then again I wasn't there so I wouldn't know!

This is the type of view that I can accept " But then again I wasn't there so I wouldn't know!". And Michael say's a number of things on the Home Movies that are inaccurate or exaggerated. A lot of the footage on the Home Movies are highly inccurate with the mix up of footage and dates. But I think Fox News was responisble for the inaccuracy of some of the footage and dates.

Not saying I dont belive you, but that clip you showed from 1997 doesnt prove what your saying. He just ends it saying that she wanted him to do it, he didnt say whether he took it out or left it in.

Just thought I would point that out :)

I would more towards thinking he didnt do it though, I know he gets mixed up sometimes but I would rather believe the guy who was actually involved in the situation and whose concert it was than some random fan.

Sorry but thats just my opinion.

Your welcome to your opinion, but I'm stating a fact and that Michael did perform Dirty Diana and regardless of you believe me of not I was at that concert and many fans who disagree with me were not which is a fact not an opinion.

That interview actually cuts off before Michael's even finished talking about performing Dirty Diana. I suppose if Michael say's Rod Temperton is some little white guy from Germany he must be telling the truth, when it's Michael exaggerating things.

If there is video footage filmed by a fan of the whole concert on 16/07/1988, I'm 100% sure I will be proven right that Michael did perform Dirty Diana that night, and that me as a random fan will be fully justified against fans who never attended any of Michael's UK Bad concerts, or even have any experience of living in England in 1988 when the UK media were full of scandolus royal family stories as they were no longer held in high regard.

I'm content with the fact I know the truth, and experienced that concert and can say Michael did perform Dirty Diana on 16/07/1988 in front of Princess Diana. No one can take that way from me and opinions of fans who weren't at that concert are pretty baseless in that regard considering some of talk like you were acutally there.

Last edited:
I too was at that particular concert, and I also actually remember Michael singing Dirty Diana. There had been a rumour building up for days that he WOULDN'T be singing it, but he actually did. And, yes, come to think of it, I vaguely remember TWYMMF not being there. I could be getting shows muddled in my head (I've been to dozens and dozens on each tour), but I do recall feeling very pleased that he kept Dirty Diana in the set that night and didn't pay attention to the media garbage.

Then why would he say he took it out in honor for her when he really didn't? That dosen't make sence.

Then why would he say he took it out in honor for her when he really didn't? That dosen't make sence.
Could it be possible that he took it out and was persuaded to put it back in as it was Diana's favourite?
I sometimes wonder how MJ remebers so many things as his schedule has been so hectic. i believe that he gets confused about details sometimes, not really intending to do so, and yes, he is prone to exaggerstion too, maybe to do with his job.

This thread back on MJNO created exactly the same reaction as it does on MJJC. Amazing!

well, we all know the saying 'if you hear something often enough, you begin to believe it'...

I guess I had also accepted the accuracy of the story that DD wasn't performed, even though MY OWN EXPERIENCE was that it HAD been performed. Everyone talks about it being left out of the show, and I never stopped to analyse that story (because it's hardly important), but this thread has made me think about it, and yes, I remember it being in the show, and I remember feeling pleased about it and pleased that I didn't believe what the media were saying in the days leading up to the show.

By the way, the crowd of 200,000 was in Liverpool, and it's the biggest dang crowd you'd ever see in your life!!! It was scary, because it wasn't even within any kind of stadium. Wembley stadium also was filled beyond it's 'normal' capacity because of the huge huge crowd filling the soccer pitch area. Michael had to keep on adding new dates because of the demand.

appreciate you breaking things down and I believe you. It must be memorable that the first concert ever you attended was Michael's tour. I wish I'd been born earlier:( I was only 5 then.

appreciate you breaking things down and I believe you. It must be memorable that the first concert ever you attended was Michael's tour. I wish I'd been born earlier:( I was only 5 then.

I understand how you feel... I was born too late... ARGH!!! WHY AM I BORN IN A TIME WHEN MICHAEL DOES NOT DO MUCH LIVE STUFF ANYMORE?!?!!? T___T

Why god? T_T Why does Michael have to suffer so much when he is such a good soul... so helpful... he has a good heart and he gets accused... Poor Michael! Don't worry, our faith in you will never waver Michael!

Back