View Poll Results: Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

178 74.17%
  • no

62 25.83%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Janet's career

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

I can understand you saying Janet isn't a Mariah or whitney but lma of T Boz , chilli or left eye who are not vocalist themselves or saying Janet isn't even Aaliyah is just wrong when Janet was the clearly the blueprint for Aaliyah and she was not not know for being a vocalist herself and sorry but I don't see her pulling off songs like he doesn't know I am alive of love will never do with you or even again

and I am by no means a Madonna fan but she can sing especially if you listen to her earlier work .

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,949 Times in 9,321 Posts

Default Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry45220 View Post

and I am by no means a Madonna fan but she can sing especially if you listen to her earlier work .
    I rather take Aaliyah as a vocalist... Madonna is famous for many things but her vocals were never her strength - and especially not on her early albums.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Janet's career

I used to like Janet in the late 80s and early 90s. I developed an interest because she's Michael's sister and because he always spoke fondly of her (e.g. in his book Moonwalk), just like I wanted to know more about his other family members. Had she not been Michael's sister, I would have probably ignored her or at least I wouldn't have paid much attention.

Now, did Janet's last name help her career? Yes! Is she talented? She is. Is that enough to be successful? It's not. You need more than talent to have success. You need to be smart about it, surround yourself with the right ppl! You have a super famous brother, look what he does and try it for yourself. There is nothing wrong with asking for help (which I'm sure she did, look at all her copied moves from Michael, he clearly didn't mind and encouraged her). Didn't Madonna want MJ's manager back in the 80s in order to become just as successful? The other Jacksons tried to stand on their own but MJ's brothers just aren't business savvy. They know nothing of marketing, finance and management. In short, they just aren't professional. Look at all the stuff they have come up with, it's an embarrassment!

In most interviews Janet always got asked about her brother Michael, and I don't think it ever hurt her career. At least here in Europe she has always been Michael Jackson's sister, albeit MJ's famous little sister. So she could never quite get rid of Michael's shadow. I was very happy for her success, I even went to one of her concerts from the Janet tour because my oldest cousin is an avid concert goer and has probably seen every famous artist in concert on this planet lol. It was a good show.

The press of course has always tried to downplay Michael's success and talent, and they used Janet against him. They claimed he needed Janet for his comeback album HIStory. Then they claimed Janet had sold more albums than him, that she had a bigger record deal... bla bla... All of these things weren't true. It annoyed me to no end. I wonder how Janet got away with her nosejob, yet Michael never heard the end of it. The media just ate Janet's explanation of "I didn't like it". Having said all that, I don't blame her for the press' constant negativity towards Michael.

Janet has had a successful career. I applaud her for that. She has shown she is talented. She can sing, dance and perform. However, in my opinion, she has thrown Michael under the bus numerous times, hence why I actually don't give a damn about what her career is like now. I have never been a fan, I just used to support her because of Michael. I think MJ fans trash her and her career now because of all the sh*t she has come out with (the constant addict talk, the granny napping, to name a few), and I don't blame them. But I think it's unfair to say her success was insignificant or that she can't sing. She's nowhere near as talented as Michael and she hasn't sold as many records as him. But that isn't the point of this thread. At the end of the day, I don't give a rat's arse about Janet.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow White 1937 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Janet would still be successful even if she wasn't Michael's sister. The girl is talented. I know that's tough for many MJ fans to swallow who love to hate on Janet but the reality is the girl is super talented and talent can't be suppressed. If being MJ's sister was the only reason for her success, then all of MJ's brothers would be successful solo artists too.
    Last edited by Blue Criminal; 26-02-2017 at 10:09 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Criminal For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,668 Posts

Janets talent has always been great, I will say I don't think (for understandable reasons) she continued to have the same passion for it all with her last couple bodies of work musically..
    **He lives forever within us**

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Janets talent has always been great, I will say I don't think (for understandable reasons) she continued to have the same passion for it all with her last couple bodies of work musically..
    She is a victim of ageism and the whole superbowl debacle. I think after All for You, she released three very average albums which didn't help her career at all. She needed Unbreakable after the superbowl debacle as I think it's Janet best work since Velvet Rope.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue Criminal For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,008 Posts

Having the Jackson name did help, but it is not the reason for her success.
    If that were the case then all of the Jacksons that pursued a career in the music industry would have been as big as Janet.

It's sad to say this, but Janet is very underrated and will only be given her deserved praise once she's gone.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 918
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,225 Posts

I may be wrong but I can not see that she will have a great posthumous career or will win remarkable amounts of new fans in afterlife.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I'll put a decent amount of blame on Dupree.... The obvious obligation to have him take a huge role on her albums definitely changed the course of her music for a while.. Not saying I didn't like any of the music, cuz there are some jams I love.. but overall sound/feel were not Janet'esk for a large part

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I think Janet could have made it without the help of her family. She had so much natural talent anyway and her best work came out when she left Joseph and his management. It was Jam and Lewis and the Control album that truly showcased her talent.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class500 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Janet such an amazing performer and singer but because her brood Michael Jackson has a big part of why she is famous

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35

Level
    Thanks

I think her relation definetly helped her, but she has the talent to back it up & make a name for herself.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I’m gonna leave this thread before I explode on someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Janet's voice is good. She's not Michael or Jermaine, but she can sing. She's especially talented at the rhythmic stuff, like Michael.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

her being a Jackson gave her a platform and opportunity, her talent is what brought her success..