A James Brown Mj mashup Performance

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
I know Michael & James never did a project together or a song....till this day...it baffles me why they never did a video or anything outside of showing up to shows...I dont think I've ever read or seen James at mj concert though but I thought it'd be fun to perform a Mashup in front of an audience in Mobile,AL & they seemed to love how I incorporated them both. They were on thier feet. This hasnt been done before but 1 day I plan to do it to a bigger audience. I wanted this to be a topic of discussion about James & Michael, not about me BUT I also want to show you the crowd reaction as well as to what I was saying.

I don't know if you noticed but sometimes you become multiple persons, like your soul is trying to leave your body. I reckon it are MJ and JB trying to pull you up to haven for a dance contest.

To be fair I was not crazy about the mash up but I did love the "Who's loving you" intro, that worked very well. You look great in MJ's fashion as well, you are one with the belt šŸ˜„!
I expected more James Brown to be honest, it would be cool to see you do more of his move set! How about recreating this segment from the Motown 68 audition?

I don't know if you noticed but sometimes you become multiple persons, like your soul is trying to leave your body. I reckon it are MJ and JB trying to pull you up to haven for a dance contest.

To be fair I was not crazy about the mash up but I did love the "Who's loving you" intro, that worked very well. You look great in MJ's fashion as well, you are one with the belt šŸ˜„!
I expected more James Brown to be honest, it would be cool to see you do more of his move set! How about recreating this segment from the Motown 68 audition?
Hmmmmmm.....thank you & thank you for the idea!!! I will be sure to credit u for that!!

Interesting video...

Anyway, off topic, but here's the thing. I don't really know anything about James Brown - I can probably only name about 5 of his songs (although I Feel Good used to be the song my hockey team used when they scored).

I'm not a major fan of funk, but would it be worth me getting a James Brown album? Seems like his live albums are better than his studio albums? Looking purely at the tracklists of them all, it seems like Live At the Apollo 1995 is the best one for me. Does anybody have this? What's it like?

I guess my other, more general questions would be (1) Is 1995 a good performance, ie he's not too old? (2) Is the attraction of the live performances due to the visuals/dancing/interactions/effects? ie would I be better getting a live DVD? (3) Is sound quality good on this and other albums?

Last edited:
Interesting video...

Anyway, off topic, but here's the thing. I don't really know anything about James Brown - I can probably only name about 5 of his songs (although I Feel Good used to be the song my hockey team used when they scored).

I'm not a major fan of funk, but would it be worth me getting a James Brown album? Seems like his live albums are better than his studio albums? Looking purely at the tracklists of them all, it seems like Live At the Apollo 1995 is the best one for me. Does anybody have this? What's it like?

I guess my other, more general questions would be (1) Is 1995 a good performance, ie he's not too old? (2) Is the attraction of the live performances due to the visuals/dancing/interactions/effects? ie would I be better getting a live DVD? (3) Is sound quality good on this and other albums?
Why not just listen to some of the stuff posted here on the James Brown thread and get a feel for what you do or don't like? Studio albums, I'd go for The Payback. Live stuff? Hm ...

Live At The Apollo 1995 I don't know so can't comment. I've never even heard of it! I am not a completist. Live At The Apollo Vol.II from 1968 is the one I'd go for. Just go straight to the medley - Let Yourself Go, There Was A Time, I Feel All Right.

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Last edited:
You definitely need to pull up some James Brown. Go to a greatest hits if you don't just pick an album.
Performance wise, no can't tell you. Just watch it and see maybe.
That's the thing. Apparently, he has 59 studio albums, 15 live albums and 49 compilation albums. Honestly, I'm just not that interested in JB, or even that curious, to want to listen to them all and make any comparisons.
I'd definitely want a greatest hits (or I guess a live album would be equivalent). I would not consider getting anything that didn't have all of Living in America, I Feel Good and Sex Machine, which are the only ones I know. Night Train would be a nice-to-have, just because I love Back To The Future.
Why not just listen to some of the stuff posted here on the James Brown thread and get a feel for what you do or don't like?
I've listened to a handful. I certainly don't like those improv/jams that go on for 10 or 12 minutes.

I guess I don't know what to look for. Is it supposed to be about the dancing? The groove? The lyrics? Something else?

Live At The Apollo 1995 I don't know so can't comment. I've never even heard of it! I am not a completist. Live At The Apollo Vol.II from 1968 is the one I'd go for.
Yeah, the first two Apollo albums often get included on those lists of "10 best live albums of all time". Why is that? And did he get better or worse as he got older? ie assuming there were loads of MJ live albums, nobody would recommend getting HIStory Tour in Munich, lol.

So, is there any performance that has both Living in America and Night Train?

I guess I don't know what to look for. Is it supposed to be about the dancing? The groove? The lyrics? Something else?

And did he get better or worse as he got older?
Any answers to these two questions?

Back