Apple Music 100 Best Albums

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Zane Lowe interviews Usher.

'Confessions' is at No.95 on the list.

"20 years after its release, Usher sits down with Zane Lowe to discuss crafting his groundbreaking album Confessions. Usher shares his experience working with collaborators, finding inspiration for the album, and how its massive commercial success influenced the trajectory of his career."

13m 41s

"In his comments, Rodgers declared that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was the album he feels had the biggest impact on music.

"Every kid in the world knows almost every song, they want to dance like Michael and that “entertainer" aspect is something that separates him from almost everyone else," Rodgers said."

Looks like they released the Top 10 early today.

@83magic - don't know if you've been following this Apple thing :)

GOLv-xqbAAANF9l

Top 10

1 - Lauryn Hill / Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
2 - Thriller
3 - Beatles / Abbey Road
4 - Prince / Purple Rain
5 - Frank Ocean / Blonde
6 - Stevie / Songs In The Key of Life
7 - Kendrick / good kid, m.A.A.d city
8 - Amy Winehouse / Back to Black
9 - Nirvana / Nevermind
10 - Beyonce / Lemonade

"100 Best Albums is Apple Music’s definitive list of the best records ever made. Assembled with the help of artists and experts, it’s a love letter to the albums that have shaped the world we live and listen in. Apple Music's Zane Lowe and Ebro Darden meet with Nile Rodgers and Maggie Rogers in New York to discuss the list and exclusively reveal the Top 10 albums."

34m - 39m discussion of Thriller

Last edited:
"100 Best Albums is Apple Music’s definitive list of the best records ever made. Assembled with the help of artists and experts, it’s a love letter to the albums that have shaped the world we live and listen in. Apple Music's Zane Lowe and Ebro Darden meet with Nile Rodgers and Maggie Rogers in New York to discuss the list and exclusively reveal the Top 10 albums."

It is, just, amazing, hearing them talk about the biggest record of all time and then.... Pbbt. Boggles the mind.

If you listen to the part about Thriller and then you listen to the part about the album they put at number one, you can only come to one conclusion: Thriller should have been number 1, and they put it number 2 on purpose.

Just a week ago, Lauryn Hill said she would be releasing new music soon. I'm guessing this list was just a marketing strategy to hype her up before the new release.

Peeps, we are all on the same page here. I've spent the afternoon blasting noisy music to try to clear my head. I was trying to avoid saying anything about this. I'm still trying to get my head around that Top 10. I thought they were doing OK, kind of. I could see what they were getting at and thought it was a worthwhile effort. Flawed but not a waste of my time. But that Top 10, they just blew it, imo. I mean, obviously the entire thing is nonsense. It's just a marketing exercise to drive more streaming. And that's fine.

It is, just, amazing, hearing them talk about the biggest record of all time and then.... Pbbt. Boggles the mind.
Anti-climax doesn't even begin to cover it.

If you listen to the part about Thriller and then you listen to the part about the album they put at number one, you can only come to one conclusion: Thriller should have been number 1, and they put it number 2 on purpose.
It sort of almost made me scream with laughter, ngl. No disrespect to Lauryn Hill and I totally get the agenda here but, c'mon! I totally get trying to shake things up and not go for the usual suspects. I get trying to break the male stranglehold on this sort of thing. But ... sheesh!

Just a week ago, Lauryn Hill said she would be releasing new music soon. I'm guessing this list was just a marketing strategy to hype her up before the new release.
Seriously. I watched the little video clip of her being presented with some sort of 'prize' for this. She looked totally underwhelmed to me. It was all so weird.

I've had Smooth Criminal on heavy rotation. I feel much better! :D

Quietly a far worse list than Rolling Stone lol
I'm still processing it. I want to go back and have a proper look at the whole list.

I don't think it's a terrible idea to try to open it up to newer music. There was a lot of rap in there but I get it bc rap and hip hop have been so big the last 25 - 30 years. 'Let's have a list that isn't so male-dominated'. Yay! It's an interesting snapshot of ... something, lol. :ROFLMAO: They should have stuck with 'one album per artist'. I thought that was working quite well. It does feel like they couldn't decide who they wanted to talk to. 'Let's throw in lots of stuff from the 21st century to keep the 'kidz' happy'. 'But, omg, let's throw in some classic stuff, as well, we can't afford to alienate our older demographic'.

As usual, with these things, they got what they wanted - tons of online activity and media attention.

1. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
  2. Thriller - Michael Jackson
  3. Abbey Road - The Beatles
  4. Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution
  5. Blonde - Frank Ocean
  6. Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
  7. good kid, m.A.A.d city (Deluxe Version) - Kendrick Lamar
  8. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
  9. Nevermind - Nirvana
  10. Lemonade - Beyoncé
  11. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
  12. OK Computer - Radiohead
  13. The Blueprint - JAY-Z
  14. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
  15. 21 - Adele
  16. Blue - Joni Mitchell
  17. What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
  18. 1989 (Taylor’s Version) - Taylor Swift
  19. The Chronic - Dr. Dre
  20. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
  21. Revolver - The Beatles
  22. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
  23. Discovery - Daft Punk
  24. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - David Bowie
  25. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
  26. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
  27. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
  28. The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
  29. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
  30. WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? - Billie Eilish
  31. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
  32. Ready to Die - The Notorious B.I.G.
  33. Kid A - Radiohead
  34. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
  35. London Calling - The Clash
  36. BEYONCÉ - Beyoncé
  37. Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan
  38. Tapestry - Carole King
  39. Illmatic - Nas
  40. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Aretha Franklin
  41. Aquemini - Outkast
  42. Control - Janet Jackson
  43. Remain in Light - Talking Heads
  44. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
  45. Homogenic - Björk
  46. Exodus - Bob Marley & The Wailers
  47. Take Care - Drake
  48. Paul’s Boutique - Beastie Boys
  49. The Joshua Tree - U2
  50. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
  51. Sign O’ the Times - Prince
  52. Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
  53. Exile on Main St. - The Rolling Stones
  54. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
  55. ANTI - Rihanna
  56. Disintegration - The Cure
  57. Voodoo - D'Angelo
  58. (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
  59. AM - Arctic Monkeys
  60. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
  61. Love Deluxe - Sade
  62. All Eyez on Me - 2Pac
  63. Are You Experienced - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  64. Baduizm - Erykah Badu
  65. 3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul
  66. The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
  67. Dummy - Portishead
  68. Is This It - The Strokes
  69. Master of Puppets - Metallica
  70. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A
  71. Trans-Europe Express - Kraftwerk
  72. SOS - SZA
  73. Aja - Steely Dan
  74. The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
  75. Supa Dupa Fly - Missy Elliott
  76. Un Verano Sin Ti - Bad Bunny
  77. Like a Prayer - Madonna
  78. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
  79. Norman Fucking Rockwell! - Lana Del Rey
  80. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
  81. After the Gold Rush - Neil Young
  82. Get Rich or Die Tryin' - 50 Cent
  83. Horses - Patti Smith
  84. Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg
  85. Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves
  86. My Life - Mary J. Blige
  87. Blue Lines - Massive Attack
  88. I Put a Spell on You - Nina Simone
  89. The Fame Monster (Deluxe Edition) - Lady Gaga
  90. Back in Black - AC/DC
  91. Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1 - George Michael
  92. Flower Boy - Tyler, The Creator
  93. A Seat at the Table - Solange
  94. Untrue - Burial
  95. Confessions - USHER
  96. Pure Heroine - Lorde
  97. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
  98. ASTROWORLD - Travis Scott
  99. Hotel California - Eagles
  100. Body Talk - Robyn
"Apple Music’s 100 Best Albums is a modern 21st-century ranking of the greatest records ever made, crafted by Apple Music’s team of experts alongside a select group of artists, songwriters, producers, and industry professionals. The list is an editorial statement, fully independent of any streaming numbers on Apple Music — a love letter to the records that have shaped the world music lovers live and listen in."

"On this week's episode of Rap Life Review, Ebro, Nadeska, and Lowkey dive into the hottest drops from A Boogie Wit da Hoodie, Rapsody, and more.The group then discusses the latest news around Diddy. The episode concludes with a deep dive into Apple Music's 100 Best Albums list, which includes artists like Lauryn Hill, Michael Jackson, and Prince. The group discusses how they feel about the album rankings and how they approached the voting process."

Trigger warning - first 10 minutes is a discussion about Diddy and domestic abuse.

11m 28s - extremely brief discussion about Thriller. Interestingly, Ebro Darden didn't vote for Thriller. He voted for OTW.

32m 47s

Back