Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Heaven Can Wait

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The Way You Love Me

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Spaceship

Proud Member
All R&B slow jams MJ worked on when he was making the Invincible album.

MJ wrote and produced "The Way You Love Me" all by himself, recording his demo of the song in 1998. The song didn't make Invincible and MJ would revisit the song from time to time over the years, even after releasing his demo on The Ultimate Collection boxset in 2004. Neff-U remixed it in 2008 and this version is considered to be the "complete" version of the song; it was featured on 2010's posthumous album Michael.

"Break of Dawn" was written and produced entirely by Dr. Freeze; the Invincible liner notes falsely credit MJ as the co-writer and co-producer. Freeze's first demo of the song was called "Twilight". MJ's recorded it in 1998 and it was one of the first songs from the album that Sony heard when MJ presented it to them in 1999. It would make the final cut and be released on the album in 2001.

"Heaven Can Wait" was recorded in 1998 or 1999. It was originally intended for Blackstreet's 1999 album Finally before MJ convinced Teddy Riley to let him have the song. MJ didn't help write or produce this song, either, despite what the liner notes say; it was written and produced by Andreo Heard and Nate Smith with questionable involvement from Riley. Was released on the album in 2001 and was planned to be a single according to Riley.

"Butterflies" was recorded in 2001. MJ had no part in writing or producing the song; it was produced by Andre Harris, who wrote it with assistance from Marsha Ambrosius. Was released on the album and also to radio airplay in 2001. Marsha's original demo of the song was also released on Floetry's debut album in 2002.

What do you think is the best song here? I'd say it's "The Way You Love Me", even if the song is a little too manchild-ish (but at least that's how you know MJ wrote it lol). It's the only one MJ actually worked on beyond just recording his vocals. I'm only referring to the demo version, btw; don't care for Neff-U's butchering. "Break of Dawn", "Butterflies" and "Heaven Can Wait" could have just gone to any R&B singer at the time. I don't even see what the purpose of including a relic from the New jack swing era like Dr. Freeze was here; the last hit he ever produced was all the way back in 1992, so what's he doing on a 2001 album? As much as I like the song, it might have been best if it stayed in the vault with the other Freeze songs, but maybe it could have been a bonus track on Number Ones in place of "One More Chance" (because f*** R. Kelly). "Heaven Can Wait" is nice, but it should have just gone to Blackstreet. But I definitely think "Butterflies" should have stayed on the album, because it definitely had a lot of potential to be a major hit single; it reached No.14 on the Hot 100 solely on airplay.

The Way You Love Me (best) > Butterflies > Break of Dawn > Heaven Can Wait (worst)

Last edited:
The Way You Love Me (best) > Butterflies > Break of Dawn > Heaven Can Wait (worst)
I'd say
The Way You Love Me > Butterflies/Break of Dawn > Heaven Can Wait
The Way You Love Me has a very catchy melody.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see how "Break of Dawn" came to be. It seems to trace all the way back to Dr. Freeze's remix of Jesse Powell's "All I Need" in 1996:
That was the basis for "Twilight":
Which evolved to "Break of Dawn":

It's interesting to see how "Break of Dawn" came to be. It seems to trace all the way back to Dr. Freeze's remix of Jesse Powell's "All I Need" in 1996:
That was the basis for "Twilight":
Which evolved to "Break of Dawn":
How can you hear that demo for Twilight and not just get how much of a vibe that is?

I don't think so. But it would be nice to hear that.
It's entirely possible that MJ gave it to him and said "mess around with this and let me hear what you come up with" like he did with a few other tracks that year, but there has been no proof of this as far as I have seen. Neff-U apparently said that the song was a "gift" from MJ, but I've always interpreted that in the more spiritual sense than literal.

It's entirely possible that MJ gave it to him and said "mess around with this and let me hear what you come up with" like he did with a few other tracks that year, but there has been no proof of this as far as I have seen. Neff-U apparently said that the song was a "gift" from MJ, but I've always interpreted that in the more spiritual sense than literal.
I mean, Im sure he did work on it. That's just not what we heard. It's a 2010 mix he made.

So this is how "The Way You Love Me" sounded in 2000?
When was the mix that appears on The Ultimate Collection made?

If I had answered this poll a few weeks ago, for sure it would have gone to The Way You Love Me. But the last few days I have randomly become obsessed with Butterflies. OBSESSED. It is gorgeous and perfect.

Back