Curtis Mayfield

My brain just reported for duty, lol. Listened to the title track.

😲

I do not know what to say.

😮

"Isn't he wonderful?"
Imagine that. 45 years later!

Very special song, that. And there are a few more on it that are equally great. Venus’ Flytrap and the Bug – I like that one! And of course, Black Orchid. They made a cool video for that one, by the way! Stevie without glasses, not something you see everyday. Oh, and some awesome vocals from Táta Vega on A Seed’s a Star, by the way!

Are we off-topic?

Are we off-topic?
oh, who cares? :ROFLMAO:

Imagine that. 45 years later!
This is why I love art. It never ends. Your reaction to something can change, you can 'discover' something that has been around for ever but you didn't have time to pay attention until now, you're older and wiser so you have a different reaction to stuff. It just goes on and on. It's fabulous!

I don't have a problem with the idea that it's good to seek out new stuff. Where I disagree with people is, they usually mean brand new contemporary stuff. I think if you are 'discovering' old stuff that is new to you, that's just as good. That's how I've always done it.

Very special song, that.
I need time to recover and then I'll go back and listen again.

And there are a few more on it that are equally great. Venus’ Flytrap and the Bug – I like that one! And of course, Black Orchid.
They'll have to wait. I need to take my time. It doesn't even matter. If I hate every other track on the album the title track alone is rubies and diamonds and pearls. His vocal delivery! His phrasing! 😲

They made a cool video for that one, by the way! Stevie without glasses, not something you see everyday.
The video kind of freaked me out. He looked kinda vulnerable. Which was quite relevant and also wonderful but also unsettling. Good video, though.

Oh, and some awesome vocals from Táta Vega on A Seed’s a Star, by the way!
OK but that will have to wait. I have an ongoing convo with the title track to nurture. It's going to take a while! :D

oh, who cares? :ROFLMAO:
Right. Let it flow naturally from one subject to another!
This is why I love art. It never ends. Your reaction to something can change, you can 'discover' something that has been around for ever but you didn't have time to pay attention until now, you're older and wiser so you have a different reaction to stuff. It just goes on and on. It's fabulous!
Agree with this.
I don't have a problem with the idea that it's good to seek out new stuff. Where I disagree with people is, they usually mean brand new contemporary stuff. I think if you are 'discovering' old stuff that is new to you, that's just as good. That's how I've always done it.
Way better, even, since most contemporary stuff is either blatantly rehashed, or plain noise. And I know, depending on who you ask, that applies to the (popular) music of any era, but I cannot help but think that it’s become considerably worse in this regard. It is lacking finesse.
I need time to recover and then I'll go back and listen again.
You do it like so! I’m sure I’ve mentioned it, but I work that way, too. Need to do it that way in order to avoid sensory overload.
They'll have to wait. I need to take my time. It doesn't even matter. If I hate every other track on the album the title track alone is rubies and diamonds and pearls. His vocal delivery! His phrasing! 😲
I agree. Oh, yes, the phrasing! It’s incredible, isn’t it? And the harmonies! Simply stunning stuff all around.

And how about the lyrics? They are mind-blowing to me! (particularly great passages bolded)

I can’t conceive the nucleus of all​
Begins inside a tiny seed​
And what we see as insignificant​
Provides the purest air we breathe​
But who am I to doubt or question the inevitable being​
For these are but a few discoveries​
We find inside the Secret Life of Plants​
A species smaller than the eye can see​
Or larger than most living things​
And yet we take from it without consent​
Our shelter, food, habiliment​
But far too many give them in return​
A stomp, cut, drown, or burn​
As if they’re nothing​
But if you ask yourself where would you be​
Without them you will find you would not
And some believe antennas are their leaves
That spans beyond our galaxy
They’ve been, they are and probably will be
Who are the mediocrity
The video kind of freaked me out. He looked kinda vulnerable. Which was quite relevant and also wonderful but also unsettling. Good video, though.
Most of all, I’d say it is quite wonderful. It’s the rawness of it, I think. Although I do know what you mean!
OK but that will have to wait. I have an ongoing convo with the title track to nurture. It's going to take a while! :D
👍 I understand. There are so many layers to it!

And how about the lyrics? They are mind-blowing to me! (particularly great passages bolded)
It's funny you should say this. I've had the lyrics going round in my head ever since. Not suggesting I know all of the lyrics after merely one listen and I hadn't seen them until you included them here. But bits had jumped out at me and kept popping up in my thoughts.

For these are but a few discoveries ...​
It was mostly these two lines that were going round and round. I looked up a couple of comments about the book and there seemed to be some disdain or dismissal bc the ideas were seen as outlandish. And maybe they are, who knows? Plants communicating with humans? I dunno. But it reminded me of this, from just a few years ago:

"Trees are "social creatures" that communicate with each other in cooperative ways that hold lessons for humans, too, ecologist Suzanne Simard says.

Simard grew up in Canadian forests as a descendant of loggers before becoming a forestry ecologist. She's now a professor of forest ecology at the University of British Columbia.

Trees are linked to neighboring trees by an underground network of fungi that resembles the neural networks in the brain, she explains. In one study, Simard watched as a Douglas fir that had been injured by insects appeared to send chemical warning signals to a ponderosa pine growing nearby. The pine tree then produced defense enzymes to protect against the insect.

"This was a breakthrough," Simard says. The trees were sharing "information that actually is important to the health of the whole forest."

I was also thinking how amazing it was that we had Stevie and Curtis and Marvin in the 60's and 70's, all at the same time. How awesome is that? 😲

Back