gallery13182409744nm.jpg

mjdrums.jpg

music11lq.jpg

208386_197665280271432_110570722314222_448448_2204  606_n.jpg

3935738970_be5f9cc5c1.jpg

mj3u.png

kytara.gif

165496_175151345851838_100000709217068_432318_6064  155_n.jpg

I thought that Michael didn't play instruments. :scratch:Did he?

I thought that Michael didn't play instruments. :scratch:Did he?
Piano, guitar, drums that I have heard that Michael played or received credit for on albums. There is also an article about him playing instruments during his stay in Ireland. The man that was interviewed said that Michael was good.

In pictures: Grouse Lodge studios, Ireland
Find out why Michael Jackson loved this place

Future Music, Mon 22 Feb 2010, 4:26 pm GMT

Paddy Dunning says that he and Michael Jackson became friends during his stay: “Michael actually spent most of his time recording in Studio Two. He really seemed to like the sound of that room,” he says.

“What was amazing for me was discovering just how incredible Michael was at playing any instrument. He’d sit at the piano and play all the Beatles songs for us to all sing along to, or get on the drums, or play guitar. Michael was working with people like Rodney Jerkins, Will.i.am and other musicians, but the tracks he recorded were never finished.”

Ken Waters adds: “We still have one of Michael’s old keyboards here. It’s a battered old Casio keyboard that I actually nearly threw out by accident. I guess he just used it for ideas or as a MIDI controller.”

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/in-pictures-grouse-lodge-studios-ireland-237766/5#!5

Last edited:
When he was younger (if my memory doesn't mess with me) he said he couldn't play the studio instruments "like MacCartney" did when they were recording together... so my guess is that someone taught him/he taught himself to play later on his life. Though, I'm not sure how much he could do 'above' basics, but judging by what was said before he was pretty good. And yeah, he does have some credits on his songs, but drums could very well mean beatbox etc., so:dntknw:

I also recall seeing one video that had the Cascio kids (?) in it and I think Frank Cascio was doing his rendition of something "MJ". And I do remember seeing Michael for a split second at a black baby grand, playing- and that didn't sound like '3 blind mice', lol. I also recall the bodyguards mentioning him at the piano.

Another article mentioned him having a piano in the poolhouse of the North Carolwood Drive house.

Did Michael have some musical education? Did he go to music school or he was just extremaly talented?

He played the piano. I´ve heard/seen him play Speechless on it. Don´t know if he was a Yanni, but the little I heard was very good.

After doing some research i've come to learn that MJ was not a serious instrumentalist by any means. He could play very basic stuff to get ideas accross but not to a high standard. Also checking the album credits MJ played very basic instruments like the slapstick, if he was an amazing piano player, drummer, guitar plater etc he would have played on his songs himself instead of getting in other people to do it for him.

Now i know that alot of you will say ''He got a guitar playing credit on Morphine'' but it has been said that MJ's guitar credit there was for his beatbox. Also showing pictures of MJ holding instruments don't prove anything. He could have just been posing with them

Also if you listen to MJ when he talks about his songwriting process he says that he makes sounds into a tape recorder and then he goes into the studio and gives the musicians all they're parts. Go and listen to The Girl Is Mine Mexico Deposistion on youtube and that video shows MJ composing The Girl Is Mine and not once does he play an instrument. He just used his vocals to compose the music.

I'm not trying to take anything from MJ talent away. He was an amazing singer, Songwriter, dancer and producer but he was not the greatest instrumentalist. Plus playing instruments and composing music don't always go hand in hand. You could be the greatest multi instrumentalist in the world and still be a crap songwriter. MJ had a fantastic ear for music and knew exatly what he wanted and he used his voice/beatbox to accomplish this

^
Yeah, agreed. Also, I think he learned to play by ear, 'cos he couldn't read sheet music ("Neither did Lennon&MacCartney, it's not necessary").

moodyblue97;3443147 said:
He played the piano. I´ve heard/seen him play Speechless on it. Don´t know if he was a Yanni, but the little I heard was very good.

When have you seen or heard Michael played Speechless on a piano???

We heard/read a lot of witnesses who said MJ played piano and drums.
I think he did it enough to sing along, famous songs and his own songs probably, the basic stuff.

Anyway, he was still a musician. Like I always say "Being in music business since the age of 5 could teach you something about music".

Maybe he could play but when it came to composing his own music he choose not to

I always thought he beatboxed and sang melodies for producers to play for him...Interesting learned something new about MJ

Michael didn't need to play any instruments anyway. He was the instrument

Last edited:
i forget where i read it but there was an article wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long back about him being able to play instruments but unable to read sheet music (not too strange i know many musicians who cant read music)....

Back