Steve Marriott appreciation / rock world says No! to AI on Steve's vocals

"A long list of artists including Robert Plant, Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, Peter Frampton, Bryan Adams and more have joined the late British singer Steve Marriott’s children and bandmates in opposing the release of “new” recordings featuring AI-generated versions of his vocals. The former frontman of the Small Faces and Humble Pie (and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee) was one of the most influential rock singers of the 1960s, renowned for songs like “All or Nothing,” “Tin Soldier,” “Itchycoo Park,” “I Don’t Need No Doctor” and more. He died in a fire in 1991 at the age of 44.

“The Marriott Estate is due to release an AI solo album of old and new songs of my father, Steve,” Mollie Marriott said in a statement. “Sadly, the surviving family which comprises just my siblings Lesley, Toby, Tonya, and I, have nothing to do with the Estate as there was no will. It is run by my stepmother who was only with my father for two years prior to his death and has since been re-married."

"Contacted by Variety, Chris France, who has been managing director of Marriott’s estate since 1997, said: “At present there are no confirmed plans to use Steve Marriott’s voice on AI recordings,” adding, “That does not mean a deal will not be done with one of several suitors who have made offers… I am afraid that [Mollie Marriott’s] opinions are of no consequence to me or his estate.”

"A recent article from Variety shined a light on a debate going around that, in a few respects, could portend a deeper conversation in the realm of music + technology. It all has to do with late musician/Humble Pie icon Steve Marriott, and specifically his estate engaging in discussions to release “new” recordings from Marriott — who died in 1991 — created with AI-powered technology.

Mollie Marriott, Steve’s daughter, has taken up a strong vocal objection to this project in her father’s name, and her opposition has also been echoed by several notable musicians, among them some of Marriott’s peers and former colleagues.

Per the Variety report, independent record label Cleopatra Records has engaged in discussions with the Marriott estate about completing some of his unfinished demos with the aid of AI technology, though the label ultimately plans to release the recordings in their original form “for now” via three as-yet-unscheduled compilations ..."

Back