The BEST Michael Jackson Motown Album

What is, in your opinion, the BEST Michael Jackson solo album?

• Got To Be There

• Ben

• Music & Me

• Forever, Michael

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJs_Doodles

Daryl Joel 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Country
United-States
For me, it's Music and Me.

I view Music and Me as his most progressive album out of all the four. It's also the point where Michael's voice slowly begins to change into his adult voice, signifying crossing bridges. It's also a very cinematic album. Each song is very musical-influenced ("Johnny Raven," "Euphoria," and "Music and Me") or even borrowed straight from an existing musical altogether (like "All the Things You Are" and "Morning Glow"). Being a writer, these kinds of songs appeal to me the most.

This album also introduced me to Smokey Robinson's version of "Happy" from his album "A Quiet Storm," which is now my favorite song of all time.

@DJs_Doodles

Give the entire Smokey Robinson album a try, it is fantastic. His version of happy is better than Michael’s imo
My fave track on Music and Me is Too Young. I love the string arrangement and the climax very much.

My fave album however is Got To Be There which knows no weak track. It would also rank as my nr 3 solo album after Thriller and Off The Wall

Give the entire Smokey Robinson album a try, it is fantastic.
I've planned on it for a while. So far, I've only listened to the title track and Happy.

His version of happy is better than Michael’s imo
I think so too, especially since he is the original writer of the song. I love how Smokey's version builds from sounding melancholy at first to being more upbeat later, whereas Michael's version and Bobby Day's version keep the same tone throughout the entire song.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that.

I meant Bobby DARIN. 💀 Also, listening to it again, Darin's version is a lot more climactic at the end. Michael's version is the most consistent one.

The definitive version of Too Young on the other hand is from Michael imo.

I think the original is by Nat King Cole but it is not as dramatic as Michael’s. There is also a rather boring version by Donny Osmond which adds drumming and turns it into a mediocre pop song. A 3rd version is by Marvin Gaye but it doesn’t really add anything as he sings it like Nat Kin Cole did.

Ugh, didn't like that version of Happy. 7 minutes?! I kept wishing it was further along.

Anyway, I'd say Got to be There > Music and Me > Forever, Michael. Definitely better that OTW, Xscape, BOTDF and Invincible.

Here's my full rating.

Strongly suggest everybody here rates all the albums.

Ugh, didn't like that version of Happy. 7 minutes?! I kept wishing it was further along.

Anyway, I'd say Got to be There > Music and Me > Forever, Michael. Definitely better that OTW, Xscape, BOTDF and Invincible.

Here's my full rating.

Strongly suggest everybody here rates all the albums.
You forgot Ben...

You forgot Ben...
To be honest, that's the only one I don't have on CD. I've got a couple of the tracks. Overall it's probably not as good as Forever, Michael, but better than Xscape, BOTDF and Invincible.

This was harder than I thought, but I eventually went with Music And Me with Got To Be There as a close second. Music and Me is perfect to me.

To be honest, that's the only one I don't have on CD. I've got a couple of the tracks. Overall it's probably not as good as Forever, Michael, but better than Xscape, BOTDF and Invincible.
You've never heard Ben?? :eek: :eek:

Back