Unpopular opinions about MJ’s music?

Two of the biggest unreleased songs in the MJ catalogue were touched up by producers after MJs passing (Slave to the Rhythm and Do You Know Where Your Children Are). So much so people thought they were authentic.

Boycotting modernizing MJs music is objectively fruitless. Having stricter guidelines is fair though.

If a plumber is asked what his/her job is, then that's what they are going to say.
And you don't think a plumber cares about their reputation as a plumber?

In all honesty I didn't think it was such an unpopular opinion to say that MJ shouldn't have signed the Pepsi deal, and not just because of the burning accident. To me, the silly versions of Billie Jean and Bad that have lyrics about drinking Pepsi have contributed to Michael Jackson being taken less seriously as a songwriter.

And for an artist to release a single via a promotion with a soft drinks company is frankly quite embarrassing, in my opinion.

4:20

By coincidence I've found out via this video that the Spice Girls had the same deal where they released a single that could only be bought once you bought 20 cans of Pepsi.

Considering that both MJ and the Spice Girls were both marketed towards children, the business practice of not only advertising, but making kids buy Pepsi in order for them to buy their favourite singer's new song is not something I agree with in the slightest.

To me, the silly versions of Billie Jean and Bad that have lyrics about drinking Pepsi have contributed to Michael Jackson being taken less seriously as a songwriter.

And for an artist to release a single via a promotion with a soft drinks company is frankly quite embarrassing, in my opinion.
Considering that both MJ and the Spice Girls were both marketed towards children, the business practice of not only advertising, but making kids buy Pepsi in order for them to buy their favourite singer's new song is not something I agree with in the slightest.
It was also hilarious that Michael Jackson in reality not only hated the Pepsi drink, but also he was cheating people (including children) when he was publicly seen drinking the Pepsi drink from actually empty Pepsi cans.

So what? Prince released an entire album (20Ten) through a newspaper. It wasn't sold anywhere else, only people who bought the paper got it. Whether they wanted the album or not, the same with U2s Songs Of Innocence for everybody who had iTunes. I think the album was later re-released for anyone to buy after Prince passed. Another Prince 3 CD album called Lotusflow3r was originally only sold at Target. In the 1960s & 1970s a flexdisc 45 by different artists (including The Jackson 5) was put on the back of cereal boxes.

Last edited:
cdf6bbb8acd8d419f33ad7e7e59f3c2c01774c33.jpg

a4666f0de2f5a59bbae666ef2bb7c5635a22b731.jpg

I never spent money on pepsi to acquire the SPYHO cassette single. in 1992 It was easily accessible. And I bought mine from HMV...just like other singles from Dangerous. It had a cardboard case... Pretty different at the time.
Link to how it looked for those who are interested.

Just occurred to me that WYBT was one of my very first CDs though. [never had that cassette...] I still like both formats.

I never spent money on pepsi to acquire the SPYHO cassette single. in 1992 It was easily accessible.
That's interesting. I wonder if anyone on here had a different experience and drank gallons of Pepsi in order to receive the cassette hahaha

A single newspaper costs a fraction of the price of however many cans of Pepsi you needed to buy, and also doesn't rot your teeth and make you fat.
So those rock acts who do commercials for beer & liquor is ok then? "Sex, drugs, & rock n roll". At least soda doesn't cause drunk driving. There's also "beer gut". How about all of those rap songs that kids listen to that talk about drugs & liquor and full of the n-word. Some of the songs themselves are basically unofficial commercials like Pass The Courvoisier by Busta Rhymes & P Diddy. Run-DMC made a then not that popular sneaker sales get bigger with My Addias. Snoop Dogg coaches a little league football team and everybody knows he talks about smoking a lot of weed.
Do you know what "bloody moves" is? It's about the Bloods gang. I think drinking Pepsi is pretty mild compared to kids listening to what Cardi B is talking about.

As far as being fat goes, what about those performers who are bigger and proud of it? Some even putting it in their names. Like The Fat Boys, Heavy D, Notorious B.I.G./Biggie Smalls, Big Joe Turner, Two Tons Of Fun/Weather Girls, Big Mama Thornton, & Lizzo. Some of The Fat Boys songs are about eating a lot of food, even going to jail about it (Jailhouse Rap).

So those rock acts who do commercials for beer & liquor is ok then? "Sex, drugs, & rock n roll".
I don't agree with any artist who promotes an unhealthy lifestyle. But I have a high opinion of Michael Jackson especially, and I think that the Pepsi deal was a mistake for the reasons I've given.

I agree with Paul McCartney when he said that MJ using the Beatles' "Revolution" in a Nike commercial devalued the song because "it meant more than a pair of sneakers".

I feel the same way about Billie Jean, and it's a shame that Michael Jackson made the decision to use both his own music and that of the Beatles in the way he did.

I don't agree with any artist who promotes an unhealthy lifestyle. But I have a high opinion of Michael Jackson especially, and I think that the Pepsi deal was a mistake for the reasons I've given.
The Beatles had drug songs though. So did solo Paul McCartney with Let Me Roll It. There's even a bootleg where John Lennon offered Stevie Wonder (who didn't do drugs) some cocaine. Drugs like LSD are pretty much what inspired 1960s psychedelic rock & stoner rock. Many blues & country songs are about getting drunk. In the late 1970s & early 1980s several R&B artists did commercials for Schlitz Malt Liquor including the Commodores when Lionel Richie was still a member.

Paul McCartney owns Buddy Holly songs & showtunes and he approved some to be used in commercials. It was Paul who told Mike about buying song publishing in the first place, because Paul already owned some. Paul himself did an ad for VISA credit card and a brokerage firm too. Ringo Starr also disagreed with Revolution for Nike, but he did commercials for things like Pizza Hut. I think they just disagreed about that particular song being used, not musicians doing commercials in general. Revolution had to be approved by their record label since it was The Beatles actual recording and not jingle session singers doing a cover like other Beatles songs used in commercial ads. Yoko Ono had no problem with it, she runs Lennon's estate. She did have a problem when Paul suggested that their song credits should be changed to McCartney/Lennon instead of the order it has mostly always went. And nothing happened with that.

Michael Jackson had videos where he's shooting people in a speakeasy (Smooth Criminal) and another where he's in a gang (Bad). Which was before gangsta rap really became popular. Those videos were broadcast more than the Pepsi commercials. It's the same for the songs that are basically a free ad like the Busta Rhymes song I mentioned above. There's a lot of songs where people are bragging about the fancy car brands they own or designer clothes & jewelry. That's Morris Day's entire image and Bruno Mars copied him on tracks like Uptown Funk. Those were in radio airplay rotation. Some singers & actors started their own alcohol brand. The Rock (aka Dwayne Johnson) is one of them and his audience is largely younger children from his wrestling career.

The Beatles had drug songs though. So did solo Paul McCartney with Let Me Roll It.
An artist writing a song about their own drug taking doesn't mean they're endorsing drug use though. Do you think that when Michael Jackson wrote Morphine he was encouraging people to dabble in demerol use?

Now, if Michael Jackson had been payed by a pharmaceutical company to promote demerol use then there would be a problem. But he obviously wasn't.
Michael Jackson had videos where he's shooting people in a speakeasy (Smooth Criminal) and another where he's in a gang (Bad).
These are fictional films, and even small children can tell that Michael Jackson isn't actually a 1940s gangster or gang member.

Once again, if Michael Jackson had been paid by gun manufacturers to promote firearms use, then I'd be against it. But he wasn't, because Moonwalker is a fictional film.

These are fictional films, and even small children can tell that Michael Jackson isn't actually a 1940s gangster or gang member.
Really? Then what about those kids who climbed on the roof of their house with a towel tied on their neck, jumped off and injured themselves when the 1st Superman movie came out in the 1970s. There's also 1990s football (tackle) movie called The Program where adults imitated a scene in it and got killed. The scene was removed from the movie and was never in the home video releases. How about all of those parents complaining about the influence of heavy metal, goth music, or gangsta rap on their children. In the 1950s white parents complained that rock n roll was causing their teenagers to become juvenile delinquents. The reason there are Parental Advisory stickers on albums are because of Tipper Gore & the PMRC. Which kind of backfired on them, because the stickers made teens want to buy the albums like an advertisement.

Really? Then what about those kids who climbed on the roof of their house with a towel tied on their neck, jumped off and injured themselves when the 1st Superman movie came out in the 1970s.
You sound like those people who think playing GTA turns people into hardened criminals. There's no way any kids thought shooting people was okay because of Smooth Criminal.

You think kids can't tell that Smooth Criminal isn't real? As analogue said, he turns into a car!!

You sound like those people who think playing GTA turns people into hardened criminals. There's no way any kids thought shooting people was okay because of Smooth Criminal.

You think kids can't tell that Smooth Criminal isn't real? As analogue said, he turns into a car!!
I didn't say people think it's real, but some do imitate the things they see or hear. Also not everybody understands the difference in fact & fiction. Charles Manson thought the songs on The Beatles White Album were about a race war, Helter Skelter & Piggies in particular. His followers killed actress Sharon Tate and some others because of that. Even if the songs really were about that (they're not), that doesn't mean Manson & his people had to act it out. If they did that, don't you think other people can't be influenced by Paul McCartney or Bob Marley singing "ganja is good" songs. There's people who had plastic surgery to look like Michael Jackson, that's not cheap.

Those people lying in the middle of the street (which was in The Program) probably didn't think it was ok, but they did it anyway. People join gangs don't they, and some join as kids or teens. The neighborhood the Jackson family are form in Gary Indiana had youth gangs. That's a reason Papa Joe wanted to move away from there and had his sons moving bricks to avoid joining the gangs. Many people start smoking cigarettes before they are adults. Why is that? They see others doing it either in their own life or in entertainment. A cigarette company was sued because of the Joe Camel cartoon character, because kids recognized it and knew what Joe Camel advertised.

If enetertainment did not influence a lot of people, the companies would not spend millions of dollars for product placement in (fictional) movies & TV shows or commercials during the Superbowl. They would not hire celebrities to promote their product either. People wearing sagging pants with their underwear & butt showing is because they saw rappers doing it. A lot of Black slang words became mainstream and even put in the regular dictionaries. That's because they were in the music and/or movies. There's an entire urban dictionary online too. I've seen a lot of artists that have said in interviews that fans came up to them and said their songs helped them in their life, even preventing some from commiting suicide.

You sound like you think kids playing GTA is less objectionable than drinking soda. That's hilarious and also crazy.

I don't think kids should be playing GTA and never once stated as such.
What about this then? These are real guns, not a video game, toy gun, or movie. They're not a street gang either. You can find a lot of similar family pictures on the internet, even some with US politician families. Also videos of families, including children, hunting or at gun ranges shooting. I guess you think this is better than their parents buying them soda too.
5849b92358a6e04b7d05b472e662bde82fa9009d.jpg

The 90's commercials Dreams and I'll Be There were shown in the UK. On MTV.
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.

Still, MTV in the UK was tiny, had an insignificantly small audience. It's not as if people were seeing those ads all the time.

In the 1960s & 1970s a flexdisc 45 by different artists (including The Jackson 5) was put on the back of cereal boxes.
Wow. I didn't know the J5 did this. Just went and looked it up. 11 songs!

link to how it looked for those who are interested.
Thanks for sharing this. Wtf, there was a 6-minute Dangerous medley?! How did I not know about this before?

Some of the songs themselves are basically unofficial commercials like Pass The Courvoisier by Busta Rhymes & P Diddy.
This actually is the case. There's an official deal where rappers get paid extra if they mention McDonald's in their song and it gets played on the radio. I'm not joking.

I agree with Paul McCartney when he said that MJ using the Beatles' "Revolution" in a Nike commercial devalued the song because "it meant more than a pair of sneakers".
I still say you're reading way too much into this. It simply doesn't matter. People don't care about it. Sometimes they even like a song because it got included in a TV advert.

Maybe it's something for billionaire musicians to get upset about, but not the general public.

Back