Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Elizabeth I Love You (Elizabeth Taylor tribute) 1997

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Gone Too Soon (Ryan White tribute) 1993

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

filmandmusic

Proud Member
If this isn't a tough choice then there is something wrong with you ;)

If this isn't a tough choice then there is something wrong with you ;)
Guilty as charged. There must be something wrong with me. Apparently. :ROFLMAO:

My vote goes to You Were There and it's not even a competition bc I don't like the other two. If I did like them, I'm confident I would still choose the Sammy Davis Jr tribute. For me, it wins on so many levels. The song itself - written in a 12 - 24 hour period or something ridiculous - and Michael's heartfelt performance. The cultural significance of the moment is off the chart. Sammy's emotional response. The current star paying proper respect to the older star who was an inspiration, a mentor, a trailblazer.

It is simple, elegant, moving, loaded with social commentary, quietly beautiful.

omg šŸ˜­

Last edited:
Elizabeth I love you is so cool. So kitsch and MJā€™s dramatic movements sell the performance. What a stage presence he had. It was probably pre recorded but it is still a cool performance.

Itā€™s amazing how he manages to make ballads or slower songs visually interesting, he manages to find a way to dance to these songs and it works.

But gone too soon really takes the cake. I swear I see Hillary Clinton with wet eyes. When he ends the final note and you see an entire audience rise up to applaud you know you have done well. It felt like the entire audience was hanging on every word he sang. The song itself is also of true beauty, one could wonder what it is doing on dangerous but Iā€™m so glad it made the cut, it is too beautiful to gather dust in the vaults. Nobody has a more emotive voice than Michael.

You were there was cool, it was very touching to see Sammy Davisā€™s genuine emotional reaction, the lyrics are very poignant. There was true chemistry between Buz Kohan and Michael Jackson, everything they did together is gold.

You were there was cool, it was very touching to see Sammy Davisā€™s genuine emotional reaction, the lyrics are very poignant. There was true chemistry between Buz Kohan and Michael Jackson, everything they did together is gold.
So true.

f&m, I need to post a photo. It's your fault for saying nice things about them working together. :)

Michael, Buz Kohan and Susanne de Passe in 1983

iu

Last edited:
Gone Too Soon. Anyone who doubts Michael as a live singer, simply show them this performance. Michael had the president Clinton and first lady moved by his performance.

You Were There was an amazing performance too and it is only slightly below the Gone Too Soon performance.

I only watched the performance of Elizabeth I Love You once and I barely remember anything, as it wasn't memorable enough for me.

Back