HIStory statues - where were they placed?

Magical Child

Proud Member
Hi there.
Does anyone know for sure where Michael had statues placed during the 1995 HIStory promotion?
I know there was one in Prag (well, I think). But I'm almost certain, there were more.

Can anyone help me out here?

One was sent floating down the Thames, only mike could get away with that.

The one in Prague was awsome you could see it when you walked over the bridge to the venue.

It was so surreal it made you go cold knowing mike was there, and that you were going to see him perform the next day

One was sent floating down the Thames, only mike could get away with that.

Lol i can imagine Mike sitting aorund a table with all the Sony executives prior to the release.

"So mike, do you have any ideas for the project?"

Mike: " Yes, I want this.. and I want that... Oh and yes, I want a 30 foot tall statue of myself to be sailed down the river thames in London!"

"Haha, your'e kidding right?"

Mike. " No, I'm serious."

Prague...

nosetampoco1.jpg

The London one...

estatuasobreelThamesRiverLondon.jpg

There is one in Holland, at Mcdonalds in Best!;-)

Yes! Here it is :) Maybe the last one out there.

199003430eacd28c40fbks4.jpg

During the HIStory promo there were also another one in Japan:

EstatuaenTokioJapon.jpg

Milan...

nose3.jpg

And this one is from Madrid, Spain. Once the promo was finished, they put the statue in an amusement park. The guy under MJ foot is me :p

estatuahistoryhx1.jpg

Last edited:
The statue that was found in Milan, is found today before a near amusement park the airport. Unfortunately she has been ri-colored in obscene way.

U know promotion comes in all forms... so creative..

if MJ did do a 50 foot robot like those tabloides said, I would find that cool.. lol!

MICHAEL JACKSON - HIStory
The Statue - Thursday, 15th June 1995

On 15th June 1995, Michael Jackson - 'The Statue' - will be sailing down the River Thames on a barge, towed along by a tug.

THE STATUE

Height:
10 metres.

Weight:
2,100 kilos with plinth.

Material:
A steel truss frame with fibreglass cladding.

Construction:
The statue took a team of 30 people working around the clock three months to build.

The Making Of:
The statues were built in Hertfordshire by the sculptor, Derek Haworth. Derek designed the statues by looking at photographs of Michael Jackson.

Number of Statues:
There are nine statues in total throughout Europe - London, Milan, Paris, Madrid, Prague, Zurich, Berlin, Vienna and Holland.

Route of Statue:
Down the River Thames.

The London statue will be moored by Tower Bridge. After seven days it will go on tour.

This is the first time an event of this kind has ever taken place on the River Thames.

All MJ's fans are being invited to demonstrate a show of support for Michael by turning up to witness this unique event. At 1:30pm on Thursday, Michael - 'The Statue' - will commence his journey from Tower Bridge, North Side (Tower of London) down the Thames and through Tower Bridge, which will open at 2:00pm.

To round off this exciting day, fans are reminded that the exclusive airing of Michael's new video for 'SCREAM' - which is breaking records around the world - will be shown on TOP OF THE POPS!

I don't know where this was originally posted, but got this from MJNO, where Pompous Git posted a lot of info about HIStory era :)

Wow, I didn't know these statues were still out there! In 97 I read somewhere that one of the statues was supposed to be in South Africa, but when I went looking for it I couldn't find it :( Maybe if I have time I can go look at the one in Holland. Thanks for posting all the pics and info everyone - it's really interesting and the one in Milan is hilarious!

Last edited:
The one in Holand was auctioned and the owner of Mcdonalds won it.......he paid 17.000 Euro's for it and met Michael when he was in the Netherlands for his HIStory tour also he got a letter from MJ where he thanked him, the letter is still in the restaurant.

In the US: one in Time Square in New York City and one on the Tower Records store on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles

Back