"What's your minor?"-from Bad video

helena22

Proud Member
Today I was watching the Bad video (full version) and got a question. You know the scene where the dudes who roll with MJ talk about his school. Wesley Snipes' character says "Yo, college, what's your major, man?", MJ's character goes "This is high school, no majors." Then, Wesley Snipes' character asks "Then, what's your minor?" Then, the two guys on the stairs started laughing their asses off. This part right here is what got me wondering. Don't you think the guys laugh so hard even though the comment is not that funny?? This thought struck me today. I've never thought like this before. So, I guess the word "minor" is a slang in this context, not used to refer to "a subject that you study along with your major"? If so, what's the meaning?

I've never actually gotten the joke... I always wonder why they're cracking up over the "What's your minor?" line. Would anyone like enlighten this boring old hag, and tell me what's so funny about it? Because I'm just clueless LOL.

Perhaps he was refering to something else???? If you get me?

I've never actually gotten the joke... I always wonder why they're cracking up over the "What's your minor?" line. Would anyone like enlighten this boring old hag, and tell me what's so funny about it? Because I'm just clueless LOL.

There's nothing funny about it, which is why it's funny when he cracks up over nothing. It's just a random changing up words to the opposite that a 10 year-old would find amusing, which could very well mean that MJ might find it amusing too lol.

Me neither, i also wonder whats so funny?

Perhaps he was refering to something else???? If you get me?
No, i dont think so, not about that

i think someone told me once that the joke was... Whats your minor, as in mj's character was sleepin with young underage girls in highskool (minors)... then they all laugh and mjs like YOUR SICK! SICK!! So theyre jus jokin around like boys wuld lol :p
Get it now? lol :)

^^^I REALLY don't think it's that. I honestly think it was just a stupid smartass joke like MJStan said. I actually thought that part of the short film was poorly scripted, if it was scripted. It could have been improv as well.

he was bein a smartass lol. colleges have MAJORS but since mikes character was in highschool he switched it up and asked his MINOR trying 2 be funny.

Nah it aint that. cuz mj wouldnt say 'your sick' and be like embaressed... it had to mean somethin.

Who cares, I just love the way Michael says "This is highschool, dhere ain't no majors." lol. I freakin' love that entire film!

I also thought that it had something to do with underage girls, since Mike says the line "you guys are sick!"

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else have an incredibly hard time seeing Mike as a high-schooler in that film? :lol:

Thanx for the responses everyone! I see. Wesely Snipes' character was just wanting to say the word "minor" and be a smartass. I thought there was another meaning as a slang, like "What's your minor?" meaning "Who are you flirting with?" or "Who do you got a crush on?". Things that boys would usually talk about when they're together with no girls around;D cuz Mike's character seems a lil bit embarrassed.

Lol its blatently a joke about the you know what, whats YOUR minor, your sick, sick!!!

i just think that Wesley's character didn't appreciate beng shown up by MJ's character's intelligence, in front of Wesley's friends. so he needed a quick comeback...lol

Wesley's character shoulda known, and MJ's character embarrassed him.

i just think that Wesley's character didn't appreciate beng shown up by MJ's character's intelligence, in front of Wesley's friends. so he needed a quick comeback...lol

Wesley's character shoulda known, and MJ's character embarrassed him.

exactly he was bein a smart ass lol. "you sick" cud just mean hes a fool in other words. i usually say ur sick when sum1 cracks a joke it doesnt have anything to do with minor girls lol

I think it was a word up game, he says sick because its a stupid reply, like he cant think beyond that cause he's sick, in a good way course

:banghead @ this thread... aggravating me
Why do you feel that way? I'm wondering...

I was sincerely wondering about that scene and hoping to get the right answer. My mother tongue is not English and I've never lived in English-speaking countries, so as many of y'all whose background is like mine can relate, it ain't crystal clear when it comes to exactly understanding scenes from a movie.

Thanx vncwilliam and Shaun.

he was bein a smartass lol. colleges have MAJORS but since mikes character was in highschool he switched it up and asked his MINOR trying 2 be funny.
Shaun hit the nail right on the head. That was the meaning of the joke, nothing sexual or dealing with underage girls.. Colleges have majors, and MJ told him that high schools don't have majors, so ol' boy asked what was his minor.. I wish I could explain it better but right now I am at a loss of words in being able to do so.. Hopefully the words come to me so I can translate the joke better to you..

It's a play on words really, and as for MJ saying "you're sick", well he mean you're dumb, you're silly, it's just another way of saying it.

^^ nah cuz he didnt say 'Ur sick' in that way. It was DEF in the way of ur sick sayin i bin wiv underage girls... its so obvious that it is that! lol

I would bet money that it's not about underage girls. Michael would never script something like that in his short films. Sheesh...

Why not? Its a joke. Every time anyone in this forum relates anything sexual to MJ they start getting in denial and what not. Hes not the one that said anything about minors anyway, so whats the problem? Thats what the joke is, deal with it.

Why would it just be that minor is the opposite to major? Does that even make sense? Why would he say that was sick in that tone? If it was that, it would be probably the dumbest pieces of writing I have ever seen.

Well it could be like a joke about death and some one responding "You're sick," so it's not always sexual. but whatever, I thought it was funny :lol:

Why not? Its a joke. Every time anyone in this forum relates anything sexual to MJ they start getting in denial and what not. Hes not the one that said anything about minors anyway, so whats the problem? Thats what the joke is, deal with it.

Why would it just be that minor is the opposite to major? Does that even make sense? Why would he say that was sick in that tone? If it was that, it would be probably the dumbest pieces of writing I have ever seen.

EXACTLY!!! I agree 100%, im sure thats the joke... its so obvious!

Back