Love what people seem to dislike and dislike what people seem to love

analogue

Proud Member
Anyone else feel the same way i do? I love the Song The Lost Children and alot of people on here have said that they dislike that song and alot of people on here have said that they love Butterflies and i don't like that one

So are there any songs you love that people seem to dislike and vice versa?

the overwhelming majority seem to love Whatever Happens... i don't get that.

well I don't dislike that song but I have to be in a certain mood for it...the music for it is good and of coarse the ending is cute..and it has a good message..

Call me a heretic, but if I hear Billie Jean one more time, I think I'll scream. Of course it was ground breaking from a musical and video standpoint, but after having heard it thousands of times over the years, I still just don't enjoy it.

Same with Scream and Earthsong. Both "said" alot, lots of meaning, but didn't enjoy listening to them from a music standpoint.

Unlike Arxter (sorry), 2000 Watts and Whatever Happens are really the only 2 songs from Invicible that I ever find myself singling out and enjoy listening to on a repeated basis..

Each to his own in their musical preferences, it's a big world out there.
Thank goodness for the variety of tastes or it would be a mighty boring existence.

Last edited:
Like arXter, I have never been a fan of Whatever Happens. Personally, I also don't dig Carlos Santana's style much either so that adds emphasis to my dislike of the song.

I still don't like listening to Little Susie. And D.S. has never set well with me either, lol. Gosh, or Tabloid Junkie.

Sheesh...and I call myself a Michael Jackson fan. Sorry guys.

love love love 2000 Watts and Shout and Superfly Sista :wub:

I hate TGIM.
I hate The Lost Children.

I think MJ looks better now than almost any time.

^ wouldn't put it past Mike to come up with a track name like that!

Like arXter, I have never been a fan of Whatever Happens. Personally, I also don't dig Carlos Santana's style much either so that adds emphasis to my dislike of the song.
exactly the same here. i think Santana is overrated, and even in his artistic heyday in the 70s he only had a few outstanding moments, but he's managed to gain legendary status.

Smooth is Billboard's second greatest charting song of all time
f_doh.gif

btw, Rochelle, i have to disagree with your view on Tabloid Junkie - that track oozes rhythmic + melodic + harmonic greatness!

Yeah, arXter, I guess I should re-phrase myself. I like the chorus. That's about it. I JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT HE'S FRIGGIN SAYING WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK IT UP!!! I hate that I can't understand him. And I know he's trying to sing a specific style there to fit the song. And it's a very rhythmic style. I just can't get into it. But I totally get where you're coming from.

And "Smooth", Lord, I remember when that came out. Everybody went kinda insane. And after that, EVERYONE had to have a collaboration with Santana. ....Seriously...

I love Whatever Happens lol, I think it's brilliant. But I don't care for Santana normally and the only thing I don't like about Whatever Happens is that the collaboration occurred at a time when it was popular to work with Santana and everyone was doing it. Also...I too did not particularly like Smooth lol.

I also don't like The Lost Children and Speechless, but is that controversial lol? Do most fans like those songs? Oh and You Are My Life?

Dangerous, HIStory Disc II and Invincible are MJ albums where I think some cuts could've easily been made, maybe the last two more than Dangerous. I think the reason he's most known for Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad is that the albums are short, meaning they pack a bigger punch. Both HIStory and Invincible (beaten across the head I might be for saying this) start to drone ON and ON after the first few good tracks, occasionally hitting strong points along the way.

I remember Quincy Jones saying something about assembling an album with the mindset that there should be no such thing as "album tracks"; every song can stand alone as a single. I think after Michael stopped working with Quincy that mentality was somewhat pushed aside.

Well, I know this might be a smidge off-topic, but it's something I've always thought.

Dangerous, HIStory Disc II and Invincible are MJ albums where I think some cuts could've easily been made, maybe the last two more than Dangerous. I think the reason he's most known for Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad is that the albums are short, meaning they pack a bigger punch. Both HIStory and Invincible (beaten across the head I might be for saying this) start to drone ON and ON after the first few good tracks, occasionally hitting strong points along the way.
All albums pre-1987 were short, because the CD hadn't been invented (or at least weren't manufactured yet) and a record, 8-track, or cassette couldn't hold much time. Most double albums from back then can fit on 1 CD today. Reel to Reel tapes could hold more time, but most people didn't have these, mostly audiophiles bought that. To get people to start buying CD's, extra songs were added to some albums, like "Leave Me Alone", which wasn't on the LP or cassette of Bad. It was also advertised that CDs were indestructable (ha, ha).

I don't like Whatever Happens, The Lost Children, Privacy, Threatened and Butterfiles (I can tell it's a great song, but it just doesn't appeal to me).

I love Supafly Sister, 2000 Watts, and Don't Walk Away. And I think Speechless is a great song, but hated it until a few years ago.

I love Supafly Sister, 2000 Watts, and Don't Walk Away. And I think Speechless is a great song, but hated it until a few years ago.
ditto,,

and with regards to Don't Walk Away, i specifically enjoy its composition, not so much the 'folksy' production.

Call me a heretic, but if I hear Billie Jean one more time, I think I'll scream. Of course it was ground breaking from a musical and video standpoint, but after having heard it thousands of times over the years, I still just don't enjoy it.

I feel exactly the same way. It was never a favorite of mine to begin with. Other songs that I rarely listen to include Wanna Be Startin' Something, Jam, and Heal the World.

And like startinsomethin87, I also think that History and Invincible (especially Invincible) drone on, with a few good points here and there.

I remember when Smooth came out, it was so popular that my high school orchestra teacher made us play it in a concert :bad:

I feel exactly the same way. It was never a favorite of mine to begin with. Other songs that I rarely listen to include Wanna Be Startin' Something, Jam, and Heal the World.

And like startinsomethin87, I also think that History and Invincible (especially Invincible) drone on, with a few good points here and there.

I remember when Smooth came out, it was so popular that my high school orchestra teacher made us play it in a concert :bad:

so what are u doin here? :lol:

Wait.....so is there an orchestra arrangement of Smooth Criminal?!?!? I must get my hands on this...just for the fun of it. I just came back from the Illinois All-state choral conference and picked up a s**tton of free music, along with buying an SATB version of Man In The Mirror. I am soooo excited to do this with a high school choir if I ever get the chance to direct one!!!

Ohhh, wait.....You meant the Rob Thomas and Santana Smooth, right? Hmmm, well, nonetheless, I would still like to have it, lol!

All albums pre-1987 were short, because the CD hadn't been invented (or at least weren't manufactured yet) and a record, 8-track, or cassette couldn't hold much time. Most double albums from back then can fit on 1 CD today. Reel to Reel tapes could hold more time, but most people didn't have these, mostly audiophiles bought that. To get people to start buying CD's, extra songs were added to some albums, like "Leave Me Alone", which wasn't on the LP or cassette of Bad. It was also advertised that CDs were indestructable (ha, ha).

Still, I know I couldn't find anywhere to put even the completed leaked outtakes from those albums on the track list and still have the same effect. Those three albums to me each tell a story, and that's why each track has so much value, even if the reason for the short duration is purely technological.

HIStory I think comes closest to the whole "story" concept of Michael's post-Bad albums. But it's still so long, and some of the songs just don't stand out like others do. I can't say the same for Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. Again, though, just my opinion. :)

Wait.....so is there an orchestra arrangement of Smooth Criminal?!?!?

//

Ohhh, wait.....You meant the Rob Thomas and Santana Smooth, right? Hmmm, well, nonetheless, I would still like to have it, lol!
there are a bunch of orchestral cover albums of Mike's tracks by the following:

London Symphony Orchestra
London Twilight Orchestra
Boston Dance Orchestra
Rockridge Synth Orchestra

here's Smooth Criminal by LSO.

no choral takes though, lol.

the overwhelming majority seem to love Whatever Happens... i don't get that.

I do. It's different. It's not what MJ usually does. I think that's what people want. You can get tired of hearing the same old pop/r&b stuff on every record. It was nice to hear something with a little latin flava.

i'm massive on Latin music, as many genres that term encompasses, and especially Latin-fusions with soul/jazz/r&b but that track just didn't do it for me at all.

it was like one of those generic "Latin-influenced pop" tracks that were so popular at the time.

if Mike's intention was go Latin, i would have loved some Cuban-influences like Stevie's Don't You Worry for a fiery track, or some bossa nova for a smooth jam. or even delve into some flamenco music!

all about tastes in the end though, right? i'm not going to enjoy a track simply because it's different, lol.

Back