My Dangerous Review

Tony R

Proud Member
Hi all. Another fall-out from MJNO here.

I thought I'd make my first post my review of Dangerous, that I posted recently on MJNO as I'm quite proud of it. I also did one on HIStory which I can post later if you like.

Sorry it's so long. Persevere with it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dangerous Review

I know there are many threads on Dangerous, but I was listening to it on repeat on a long car journey on Tuesday and felt inspired to write a review of my favourite album of all time. So indulge me if you will and read this, not written with the CD in front of me or any Google help, just an ode to the best ever.

Michael Jackson - Dangerous, a review

In 1991, the music world and the world in general, was a very different place. Personal computers were for the elite few, if you had a mobile phone it was the size of a brick and i-pods were something that i-peas grew in.

CD's had only been around 5 years, and music was something you went to a shop, bought and held, not a soul-less download.

The music world was also gearing up for a musical event. These didn't happen very often and could only mean one thing – Michael Jackson was to release a new album.

It had been four years since the release of Bad, but now we were used to waiting a while between releases. After all, it was worth the wait and it never seemed that long due to the amount of single releases which followed each album.

The new album was to prove ground breaking even before we heard it. After the holy trinity of albums made with the legendary Quincy Jones, Michael was cutting the umbilical cord and collaborating with new producers, primarily 'King of New Jack Swing' Teddy Riley. It was a risk; the previous 3 albums had sold circa 90 million copies and established Jackson as the biggest pop star in history.

But it was now the '90s, could Michael show he was more than an '80s artist and could survive without Quincy?

So, 17 years and 25 million copies later, this piece is less a review, but more a homage as to why I believe Dangerous is not only Michael Jackson's best album, but quite simply, the best album ever made.

Michael was to embrace the new technology that CD's were to give. He could break free from the time restraints of cassette and vinyl and was to make a 77 minute, 14 track epic. But was it killer or mainly filler?

By now, we were used to Michael opening his albums in style. From the earth-shifting bass & spoken intro of 'Don't Stop 'til you get Enough' on Off The Wall, and the BAM BAM BAM on Thriller's 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' or the ear-blistering ascending brass on Bad, the first sound on the album led the way for an aural sensation. The first track on Dangerous didn't disappoint. Press play and prepare to be blasted out your chair. Jam literally broke it's way through the speakers and told you Michael was back. Jam is a dance-funk-pop hybrid that is impossible to sit still to. A six minute workout that leaves you sh@ttered by the end of it. The message of the song is simple – there may be a lot of craziness going on in the world, but you know what? Once that music starts nothings gonna stop me. Jam is classic Michael, a 'Startin Somethin' for the next generation. It was to be the 5th Top 10 single in the UK from Dangerous and was accompanied by a stunning short film with a cameo from Michael Jordan – 2 MJ's at the top of their game.

This is followed by 'Why You Wanna Trip On Me', one of only 2 songs on the album not to be have any writing involvement from Jackson. However, it was obviously written for him, with the theme of the song being, with so much poverty, war & crime in the world why is it Michael Jackson being 'strange' that makes the front page. 'Trip' was one of the few tracks not to be a single, but is still a powerful slice of rock-funk. By now you could see this album was not a Thriller or Bad part 2. It had a distinct cutting edge sound that was miles away from the synthesised sound of it's predecessor. The gamble had paid off.

Track 3 was 'In The Closet' and rumours had bounded round about the track before it was heard, due to its suggestive title & 'Mystery Girl' credit. It became apparent later that it wasn't Madonna that many had guessed but the female vocal came courtesy of Princess Stephanie of Monaco. 'In The Closet' was Michael's most sexual song & video yet. A story of a secret love (lust?) between man and woman showed Michael gyrating saucily with Naomi Campbell in the beautifully shot video by the late Herb Ritts. The third song to be around 6 minutes on the album, and the third single; by the time this was released any doubts on whether Michael had another hit on his hands were quashed and those that has waited to buy Dangerous now did so in their millions.

Track 4 is 'She Drives Me Wild', not a single and thought of by many to be one of the 2 fillers on the album. Not so, this is a blast of pure pop that only pales when compared to other epics on the album. If this was released by one of the many MJ-a-likes today, it would be a Top 10 hit easily.

Next, another classic and the second single. Remember The Time is a delight from the first hearing. A gorgeous slice of R&B pop with stunning vocals; it seems such an easy record, but the genius is the way the melody penetrates your brain and would get the dead moving. Accompanied by a John Singleton directed epic, it made the video & song forever entwined for all those who saw it.

This is followed by Can't Let Her Get Away and is the song I alluded to earlier as possibly another filler. Again, not so; it is a modern dance record that deserves it's place on Dangerous.

By now, the listener has been shocked and amazed, we've listened to over 30 minutes of music, but we're not even half way through the Dangerous journey. If we hadn't before, we're now getting into ground breaking territory.

Track 7 slows things down. Heal The World could easily be We Are The World part 2, as it's similar in sentiment and title. However, it shows how Michael has matured as a songwriter in the intervening 7 years. At over 7 minutes long, Heal The World does exactly as it says on the tin, pleas for us all to do our bit. Sentimental? Yes. Saccharine? Yes. Sickly? No. Somehow it manages to keep just the right side of corny to become a heartfelt prayer from a great humanitarian. At the time this became Jackson's biggest selling single ever in the UK, hitting number 2 at Christmas time, only kept from the top spot by Whitney's ubiquitous 'I will Always Love You'.

Black Or White hits you next. This was the first single and became a controversial event in itself. Since the Thriller short film in 1984, a new Michael Jackson song was synonymous with an amazing video to accompany it. It may be hard to believe now, in the days of dozens of music channels, the internet, i-Tunes etc, but Michael's videos had families gathered around their TV prepared to be amazed.

But no-one was quite prepared for Black Or White. The final 4 minutes of the 11 minute film was a breathtaking, nearly silent dance-fest with Michael personifying the panther he had just morphed from to take his anger out in his dance. So great was the furore afterwards, Michael issued an apology for any offence caused. But you get the feeling it did exactly as he wanted, as he was everywhere, and the Black Or White film was even an item on the news and you could imagine Michael sat back in Neverland chuckling to himself! The song itself is possibly Michael's purest pop song. Taking off the album intro it's the shortest song on the album and again sounds like a simple record but is an intricate piece of rock, pop and rap. It became an overnight classic hitting number one all over the globe.

For me, the second half of the album begins now. The next few tracks are ground breaking and smash all musical styles & barriers.'Who Is It' begins with a haunting choral piece before breaking into a baseline to blow your mind. This was to be recreated in the infamous Oprah Winfrey interview where Michael blew our minds again with a beat boxing accapella intro that summed up genius in 30 seconds. If 'Who Is It' was to be categorised into a genre, I suppose it's a soul epic, the last 2 minutes of which are pure pleasure as Michael adlibs his way over a repeated chorus with a voice that encapsulates heartbreak and unrequited love. Because of Michael's success in terms of sales and innovation in terms of dance, his songwriting genius can get missed, But 'Who Is It' is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be and why his production skills shouldn't be overlooked either as he single handedly produced this. In my view the best song on the album, if not his best ever.

But wait, is it his best? Because now comes track 10, 'Give In To Me'. Ever since Thriller's Beat It, we knew that Michael Jackson could manage all genres and since Dirty Diana we expected a rock track on the album, but not this. 'Give In To Me' is a track of unparalleled genius. Guitarists Eddie Van Halen & Steve Stephens are usurped by the best of the best – Slash.
Together the make a record that doesn't sound like a pop artist trying to be hard, the song wouldn't sound out of place on a Guns 'n' Roses, Aerosmith or any other rock artist's album. 'Give In To Me' is simply sublime – in all senses – songwriting, production, musically and vocally. With a massive ending that leaves you begging for more.

Will You Be There completes what I dub the holy trinity on Dangerous, the three tracks that could not be bettered. So, we've had the dance music of Jam, the R&B of Remember The Time, the pop of Black of White and the rock of Give In To Me – do you fancy some classical or gospel? How about both? Will You Be There is a song that only Michael Jackson could make. Seven and a half minutes of audible genius where Michael begs for people to remember that he's 'Only Human' and to forgive him his fallibility. I mentioned earlier Michael's songwriting skills. Will You Be There encapsulates that. The track culminates in a spoken poem, that looking back 17 years later is a poem that Nostradamus would be proud of so great is its fortune telling – 'Through my trials and tribulations, will you still care. Will You Be There'. Stunning, simply stunning.

More gospel follows in the shape of 'Keep The Faith', not a single but a great track. The only track on Dangerous that could be compared to anything on Bad due to its synthesised production, the song is an uplifting cry to believe in whatever you believe in that you will triumph over adversity. 'Dust off your butt and get your self respect back' – indeed.

'Gone Too Soon' is the other track not to have any songwriting input from Jackson. As first it seems out of place on Dangerous, as it's a short ballad about early loss, dedicated to AIDs sufferer Ryan White as shown in the video. Beautifully sung, as we've become accustomed to, and hits the right spot emotionally before the album draws to a close.

The album closes with the title track. 'Dangerous' the track is different from the rest of the album in terms of both vocals & production. More mechanical and industrial sounding than the other tracks with vocals that are more rapped than sung. Possibly a 'Dirty Diana' part two lyrically, it was to prove another shocker on first listen but grows into another fantastic track that was to grow in popularity when Michael performed it on the VMAs 4 years later.

I could continue and talk about the artwork. In a day when an album sleeve meant something as it wasn't to be shrunk into a half inch square on an i-pod. Dangerous has a stunning cover, illustrated by Mark Ryden, offering glimpses into Michael's psyche and life. The accompanying booklet, with full lyrics and poetry is innovatively and elegantly put together into an aesthetic joy.

So, there you have it. I could embellish on every track here, but this is why in summary I feel Dangerous is the perfect album. Fourteen tracks and 77 minutes of pure auditory bliss, with tracks that not only stand out on there own but somehow become one cohesive piece of work that encompasses every genre out there and masters in all of them. Michael's pseudonym has become the King Of Pop but Dangerous shows he's quite simply, the King Of Music.

I read this on MJNO few days back, Cracking read tbf. Great look-ins for all the songs.

Hope you do a few more of them.

Good review. Lol @ iPeas.

Dangerous is a pretty good album. A bit disjointed. But it was some fantastic songs on it. it would have worked better as two seperate albums. One being a New Jack Swing album and including some of the hard hitting jams that were left out. The other being everything that's not NJS. That's your Black or White, Heal the World and some of the stuff that was left out like For All Time and Someone Put Your Hand Out.

Tony, I know I already asked this on MJNO and I don't know if you replied, but is it possible to get your review about the artwork? I'd be intrested to read it :)

WOW.

Fantastic, could you, or someone who feel like this for another album, make a review like this one about one of his other albums!!

Great great great. And I totally agree!

i think dangerous is alright, but the everything between Who Is It and Dangerous i feel is just filler. also, Why You Wanna Trip On Me feels like filler. Otherwise, the album is michael's second-best work (Blood On The Dancefloor=AWESOME) =]

I read this on MJNO first but i've just read it again cos it's such a great review. Thanks for posting.

hmmmm no offense but this reminds me of a official review of Dangerous I read somewhere else....

tony is a superb & competent writer who has written many reviews & posted very well written thoughts as a member of mjno.
i would suggest if your gonna make a half hearted accusation like that you would have a source to back up your claim.
its not only unfair to the writer of this review,but its without merit & puts the person in an awkward position.

god forbid that a michael jackson fan could be a competent writer.its disrespectful & hurtful;)

fantastic review.i believe slash also played on 'black or white'.& whenever i think of 'remember the time' i always see the video in my head as much as i hear the music.what i also love about dangerous is the dvd.i only had it on vhs & im gonna order it on dvd now because of this review.

he is the only artist for me where the song & video go hand in hand.& you tend to forget how great the videos are for alot of the tracks.black or white is in my top 5 greatest mj videos because at the time it was another pioneering move with its use of video technology & its just so visual.love it.

like dangerous,bad could easily have had a dvd dedicated to it as its got 9 videos of its 11 tracks.i include 'speed demon' from moonwalker.bring on some new dvds mj.

great review tony.the album blew me away when i first heard it.i got for christmas 91 on tape & it just astounded me.i got up at 5am with my younger brother & dangerous was under the tree for me.i stuffed my face with chocolate,watched the animation 'the snowman' (we're walking in the air) & listened to dangerous.thats a vivid memory to me.

HIStory just scrapes first place for me with dangerous in 2nd.with HIStory (for me) he bared his soul a little more & i love the anger on it.dangerous though,a classic!

For me, 'the second half of the album begins now. The next few tracks are ground breaking and smash all musical styles & barriers.'Who Is It' begins with a haunting choral piece before breaking into a baseline to blow your mind. This was to be recreated in the infamous Oprah Winfrey interview where Michael blew our minds again with a beat boxing accapella intro that summed up genius in 30 seconds. If 'Who Is It' was to be categorised into a genre, I suppose it's a soul epic, the last 2 minutes of which are pure pleasure as Michael adlibs his way over a repeated chorus with a voice that encapsulates heartbreak and unrequited love. Because of Michael's success in terms of sales and innovation in terms of dance, his songwriting genius can get missed, But 'Who Is It' is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be and why his production skills shouldn't be overlooked either as he single handedly produced this. In my view the best song on the album, if not his best ever.

But wait, is it his best? Because now comes track 10, 'Give In To Me'. Ever since Thriller's Beat It, we knew that Michael Jackson could manage all genres and since Dirty Diana we expected a rock track on the album, but not this. 'Give In To Me' is a track of unparalleled genius. Guitarists Eddie Van Halen & Steve Stephens are usurped by the best of the best – Slash.
Together the make a record that doesn't sound like a pop artist trying to be hard, the song wouldn't sound out of place on a Guns 'n' Roses, Aerosmith or any other rock artist's album. 'Give In To Me' is simply sublime – in all senses – songwriting, production, musically and vocally. With a massive ending that leaves you begging for more.

Will You Be There completes what I dub the holy trinity on Dangerous, the three tracks that could not be bettered. So, we've had the dance music of Jam, the R&B of Remember The Time, the pop of Black of White and the rock of Give In To Me – do you fancy some classical or gospel? How about both? Will You Be There is a song that only Michael Jackson could make. Seven and a half minutes of audible genius where Michael begs for people to remember that he's 'Only Human' and to forgive him his fallibility. I mentioned earlier Michael's songwriting skills. Will You Be There encapsulates that. The track culminates in a spoken poem, that looking back 17 years later is a poem that Nostradamus would be proud of so great is its fortune telling – 'Through my trials and tribulations, will you still care. Will You Be There'. Stunning, simply stunning.

More gospel follows in the shape of 'Keep The Faith', not a single but a great track. The only track on Dangerous that could be compared to anything on Bad due to its synthesised production, the song is an uplifting cry to believe in whatever you believe in that you will triumph over adversity. 'Dust off your butt and get your self respect back' – indeed.

'Gone Too Soon' is the other track not to have any songwriting input from Jackson. As first it seems out of place on Dangerous, as it's a short ballad about early loss, dedicated to AIDs sufferer Ryan White as shown in the video. Beautifully sung, as we've become accustomed to, and hits the right spot emotionally before the album draws to a close.

The album closes with the title track. 'Dangerous' the track is different from the rest of the album in terms of both vocals & production. More mechanical and industrial sounding than the other tracks with vocals that are more rapped than sung. Possibly a 'Dirty Diana' part two lyrically, it was to prove another shocker on first listen but grows into another fantastic track that was to grow in popularity when Michael performed it on the VMAs 4 years later.

Man!!! We think so much alike that words can't tell........ You totally took the words out of my mouth..... What you've written about Will you be there.... OMG! It really brought tears to my eyes, and I'm serious! :yes: The other day I tought about the same thing... that how incredible those lyrics are?!! He wrote it in 1991, at least it was released then... and what happens 14 years later...???!!!

About Who is it: yes, it's one of his best songs, if not the best. You should ask Mo_rizwan :lol:

Dangerous: Dirty Diana 2 - haha I always mention this song in that way

Give in to me - genius!!!!!!!!

So, 17 years and 25 million copies later, this piece is less a review, but more a homage as to why I believe Dangerous is not only Michael Jackson's best album, but quite simply, the best album ever made.

Exactly! :) IMO, Dangerous is without a doubt the best album to be made by man. It is simply a masterpiece.

Track 7 slows things down. Heal The World could easily be We Are The World part 2, as it's similar in sentiment and title. However, it shows how Michael has matured as a songwriter in the intervening 7 years. At over 7 minutes long, Heal The World does exactly as it says on the tin, pleas for us all to do our bit. Sentimental? Yes. Saccharine? Yes. Sickly? No. Somehow it manages to keep just the right side of corny to become a heartfelt prayer from a great humanitarian. At the time this became Jackson's biggest selling single ever in the UK, hitting number 2 at Christmas time, only kept from the top spot by Whitney's ubiquitous 'I will Always Love You'.

I love Heal the World. I believe MJ has said that it was one of the songs he was most proud of, and I can see why. :) Darn Whitney Houston :)

But no-one was quite prepared for Black Or White. The final 4 minutes of the 11 minute film was a breathtaking, nearly silent dance-fest with Michael personifying the panther he had just morphed from to take his anger out in his dance. So great was the furore afterwards, Michael issued an apology for any offence caused. But you get the feeling it did exactly as he wanted, as he was everywhere, and the Black Or White film was even an item on the news and you could imagine Michael sat back in Neverland chuckling to himself! The song itself is possibly Michael's purest pop song. Taking off the album intro it's the shortest song on the album and again sounds like a simple record but is an intricate piece of rock, pop and rap. It became an overnight classic hitting number one all over the globe.

Wow that's interesting, I didn't know it created such a controversy. and lol at MJ sitting at Neverland chuckling because it got covered on the news :D :D

'Who Is It' is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be and why his production skills shouldn't be overlooked either as he single handedly produced this. In my view the best song on the album, if not his best ever.

exactly! :) Who Is It is just amazing.

sorry for quoting so much, this post is getting really long. :blush: This is the first time I've tried out the multi-quoting thing and the smilies. Anyway, Will You Be There is one of my all-time favorite songs. I agree with you 100% on everything you said about it. It's such a powerful, inspirational songs, and as you put it, it really is "a song that only Michael Jackson could make."

Thanks so much for posting. I enjoyed all of your reviews, but especially this one. It summed up perfectly why Dangerous is not only a great album, but the best of all time.

^^ Brilliant, so glad you enjoyed it! I love Dangerous so much, hardly a month has passed since it was released that I haven't played it. Hope you enjoy the other reviews.

^^ Many thanks. I've done Bad, they're all on here. The link in my signature should take you to there (and any others you may not have read).

For me, the second half of the album begins now. The next few tracks are ground breaking and smash all musical styles & barriers.'Who Is It' begins with a haunting choral piece before breaking into a baseline to blow your mind. This was to be recreated in the infamous Oprah Winfrey interview where Michael blew our minds again with a beat boxing accapella intro that summed up genius in 30 seconds. If 'Who Is It' was to be categorised into a genre, I suppose it's a soul epic, the last 2 minutes of which are pure pleasure as Michael adlibs his way over a repeated chorus with a voice that encapsulates heartbreak and unrequited love. Because of Michael's success in terms of sales and innovation in terms of dance, his songwriting genius can get missed, But 'Who Is It' is a perfect example of why it shouldn't be and why his production skills shouldn't be overlooked either as he single handedly produced this. In my view the best song on the album, if not his best ever.
Totally Agree.....BEST Song EVER!!! :)

Back