Organizing chat group/Facebook group to stay in touch

jemini515

Proud Member
Hi all,

I got permission from Victoria to start this new thread based on her and Trish's suggestion that we can start some kind of chat group away from MJJC.

One idea is a Facebook group. It can be private so outsiders cannot see messages and we can make the settings very restrictive if people want. If some people don't want to use their full identities you can always create a Facebook profile that is your MJJC name/alter ego I believe?

Another thought that crossed my mind was a list-serv idea. I participate in one through Google Groups which works really well and allows you to get emails instantly or daily digest, etc. I think you need a Gmail/GoogleMail account for this but they are also free.

Any other thoughts? Anyone interested in staying in touch and continuing to discuss some Support Forum-related stuff? I personally am feeling quite a bit better than when I first came on here but would still like to continue the conversation.

Thoughts??? Please remember that we must decide this very soon, like maybe in the next twelve hours?

I also don't mind if someone else wants to take the lead on this. I know Facebook/Gmail but I bet others of you are more tech savvy and possibly would like to be more of a leader in this support setting? I'm not sure I'd be the best leader due to time commitments.

Last edited:
Another thought -- if people are interested in a Facebook group, maybe we could name it something neutral-sounding because group names generally show up on people's profile pages, and some people may not want the word "support" or something out in the open for various reasons.

It could be something like "You Are Not Alone" or maybe even just an abbreviation like MJJCSF or something....? Brainstorms??

EDIT: Let's not have MJJC anywhere including initials, at the request of it being non-MJJC affiliated.

Last edited:
I think this is an excellent initiative, and not MJJC-generated. This same group of people can assemble on a Facebook page and the conversations can continue! I'd say set this up very quickly, though, while you still have access to this forum, and the names. If you want this to happen, please try very hard to have it set up at least by Sunday night!

Here are some Facebook group options. Which do you think is better: open, closed or secret?

This group is open.

Anyone can join and invite others to join. Anyone can see the group information and content.

This group is closed.

Admins must approve requests for new members to join. Anyone can see the group description, but only members can see the Wall, discussion board, and photos.

This group is secret.

The group will not appear in search results or in the profiles of its members. Membership is by invitation only, and only members can see the group information and content.

------------
Also any name suggestions? :) I guess I don't mind taking a lead but want it to represent others' desires. I know many of you might be asleep now! :p

Closed. That way people don't sign up and then harrass the group! So it can really feel like a sanctuary. People can request to join. I don't know, it just sounds more secure that way. In any case, I'm in.... it's a great idea. Let me know the name of the group as soon as it's made. :)

Two questions if you don't mind my asking. Why shouldn't this be MJJC related? And I have a facebook profile but I rarely use facebook, so where would I begin? Thanks. maybe instead of here, since this really has to happen soon, someone can pm me or MSN me if someone responds that I'm already on your list. I'm all for facebook. I have another idea, might be dumb.
But since almost all of us have msn, why don't we just use that or is there a limit that MSN will allow to talk together?

Here are some Facebook group options. Which do you think is better: open, closed or secret?

This group is open.

Anyone can join and invite others to join. Anyone can see the group information and content.

This group is closed.

Admins must approve requests for new members to join. Anyone can see the group description, but only members can see the Wall, discussion board, and photos.

This group is secret.

The group will not appear in search results or in the profiles of its members. Membership is by invitation only, and only members can see the group information and content.

------------
Also any name suggestions? :) I guess I don't mind taking a lead but want it to represent others' desires. I know many of you might be asleep now! :p

I'll try to think of a name and if I can then I'll post it here, or if I'm too late, I'll pm you.

It's a very good idea and i like it but as mentioned facebook is not always used by everyone. Another suggestion could be to create a mini proboards forum for the support of our members? But it won't in any way be intende as replacement for MJJC. Let me know what you make of the idea :)

Again, what about MSN? There's that choice of creating a group. Anyone who has MSN for their main internet service probably knows more about that than I do, as all I have it for is the messenger. There's that create a group choice under add contact. Couldn't we just use it. Just an idea. I'm not really begging to use it, just that I wanted to specify what I meant in my last post.

It's a very good idea and i like it but as mentioned facebook is not always used by everyone. Another suggestion could be to create a mini proboards forum for the support of our members? But it won't in any way be intende as replacement for MJJC. Let me know what you make of the idea :)

Won't there be expenses involved?

You are not alone or Hold My Hand

let me know if you need any help.. and I think it should be a private group so the haters cant get in thanks

There's no charge at all to set a board up Michelle :) The only time there's a charge is if you want to go Advert free. Plus it's more or less exactly the same setup as here cos it uses the same code :)

same here. I think it needs to be a closed group, otherwise the haters will just harass us.

Hi Guys

I have a better idea, How about I create a wordpress blog site called MJJC Support

Let me know your thoughts.

G

may someone explain this?
is that supposed to be on facebook then? o_O
uh dunno what that means :(

Hi Guys

I have a better idea, How about I create a wordpress blog site called MJJC Support

Let me know your thoughts.

G

Thanks, Gaz. That's a fantastic idea! I think it would be more flexible than FB, and if they wanted, posters here could copy/paste some threads over there, from here. Such as the "Hold my hand" thread, and so on?

What do you guys think?

Keep going!

Vic

I think Gaz's Wordpress site might be the best so far. That would look like a regular forum, just with ads? Am I right? That would have the most similar structure to what we've been working with, and everyone can sign up easily.

Perhaps once we're set up over there and get discussing we can do an optional Facebook group for people who want to stay in touch as social networking (as some of us already do with friend links to MJJCers), but leave the discussion on Wordpress.

Thoughts?

I think Gaz's Wordpress site might be the best so far. That would look like a regular forum, just with ads? Am I right? That would have the most similar structure to what we've been working with, and everyone can sign up easily.

Perhaps once we're set up over there and get discussing we can do an optional Facebook group for people who want to stay in touch as social networking (as some of us already do with friend links to MJJCers), but leave the discussion on Wordpress.

Thoughts?

This really does seem like the best idea for you guys, to me. Whatever you want, though. The Wordpress site would have a more familiar format, more like a message board but without the "wall" and bells-and-whistles. FB is more for social-networking, but you already have your group.

I'd strongly suggest that whatever you choose (and let it be SOON!), that you keep it private. If you don't, you'll have haters, and that would be very upsetting. Think. . "sanctuary?"

Any threads you want to keep, please copy-and-paste to your desktops, ok? We really need to get to closing and locking threads here, SOON. (Oh, and during the trial we had a "Support Forum" that was separate from MJJF. Just so you'll know. . .)

Keep going. . . .

Vic

.......I will support what-ever it will be;) although facebook is a' very good one you can set him up on private and unsearchable aswell if I'm not mistaken?;)

if Can I set one up,lemme know,aight?

Last edited:
Back