Experts: Whitney Houston's posthumous sales won't match Michael Jackson, Elvis

bluesky

Proud Member
10561501-large.jpg
Newark Mayor Kenneth A. Gibson Jr. presents singer Whitney Houston with the key to the city at a press conference held at City Hall in this 1986 file photo. (Steve Andrascik/The Star-Ledger)Whitney Houston memories from The Star-Ledgergallery (24 photos)
Before her death, Whitney Houston was missing tax payments, her record sales were sagging, her stepmother was suing her and there were persistent rumors she was in deep financial trouble.

Today, her estate stands to gain from the posthumous windfall that accompanies a superstar, with one industry expert predicting some $10 million in digital sales alone this year.

But other experts say that for various reasons, this last run up the charts won’t match the still-soaring sales of other departed entertainment icons like Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

"The estate would seem to enjoy what it has seen in the last couple of days in terms of iTunes sales," said David Reeder, vice president at GreenLight, a company that helps license the images and work of icons who have passed on. "

But at the end of the day, it will taper off because I don’t think she represents a huge promotional brand like a Michael Jackson or a Marilyn Monroe.
"There’s a limited upside," he said.Since Houston’s death on Saturday, sales of her downloadable albums and tracks soared on iTunes and Amazon.com. iTunes in Britain even marked up the price of two of her albums after she passed away, prompting an apology today from Sony Music.

Video: Owner of funeral home explains to media the plan for Whitney Houston funeralCarolyn Whigham, owner of Whigham Funeral Home in Newark, explains to the media on Tuesday afternoon that Whitney Houston's funeral will be held on Saturday at noon at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark. She also talked about knowing the family and their loss. (Video by Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger)Watch video

Forbes writer Zack O’Malley Greenburg said Houston could be looking as much as $10 million this year in digital sales.

"Michael Jackson sold more than 8 million albums in the U.S. alone in the six months after his death, and 20 to 30 million worldwide," he said. "Whitney Houston didn’t write her own songs like Jackson did, and therefore doesn’t share in publishing royalties.
"But her artist royalties alone could bring the estate more than $10 million in the coming year if her music sells even half as well as Jackson’s."

Despite selling more than 170 million albums and singles over her career and multi-million movie paydays, there were numerous signs Houston was struggling financially in recent years.
In 2006, tax officials in Mendham said she failed to pay taxes for four straight quarters at her 12,561-square foot home she bought in 1987 for $2.7 million. Her total tax bill at the time was $83,000 and her mortgage company filed a lawsuit saying she owed it $1.04 million.A foreclosure was avoided, but the home, where she and ex-husband Bobby Brown were married and taped an ill-fated 2005 reality show, was put on the market for $2.5 million in 2009. The price was reduced to $1.97 million last year before the home was taken off the market.

10552753-large.jpg
Michael Nash, of Newark, leaves flowers at a make-shift memorial outside the New Hope Baptist Church following an early morning prayer service in honor of Whitney Houston, who died Saturday at age 48. (Jennifer Brown /The Star-Ledger)Whitney Houston dead: Singer's childhood church reacts gallery (12 photos)
It was re-listed at $1.75 million last month by Robert Cross of CarProperty.com, which specializes in the sale of celebrity homes and cars.Houston sold a home in Alpharetta, Ga., in 2007 for $1.19 million, a home for which she had received a notice of default.

Although her prenuptial agreement to Brown allowed her to escape spousal support of her ex-husband, Houston still wrangled with family legal issues. In 2008, her stepmother sued her over a $1 million life insurance policy from her late father, John Houston.
While the case was eventually thrown out, the case showed Houston had lent her father nearly $800,000 for the purchase and renovation of a New Jersey home.In January, one gossip website reported Houston was "broke" and asking for financial support from friends and advance payments for future movie work. The next day, a representative for Houston said that story was "false and ridiculous."Houston’s attorney, Bryan Blaney, said he did not handle her financial affairs, but proceeds of any continuing revenues would go to her 18-year-old daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown.

Houston school principal calls Whitney Houston a role modelHenry Hamilton, principal of the Whitney E. Houston Academy of Creative and Performing Arts in East Orange calls Houston a role model for his students. Houston attended the school when it was called the Franklin School, the school was later renamed to honor Houston. (video by John O'Boyle)Watch video

Danielle Mayoras, a legacy expert attorney, said Houston’s daughter will likely be financially set, no matter her mother’s financial problems."Even if Whitney Houston was broke, I still think her estate is going to accrue millions and millions of dollars," said Mayoras, who co-author of the book, "Trial & Heirs: Famous Fortune Fights!"

"You do look at the estate of Michael Jackson as a comparison. Obviously, he did not have a lot of money when he passed away and now you’re looking at a multi, multi-million dollar estate."
But unlike other iconic artists, Houston’s post-mortem gains in the long term will have a definitive ceiling, several industry insiders said. In addition to not having lucrative songwriting credits to her ledger, Houston’s career ended on a low, they said."In the end, she was a sympathetic character and so many people were rooting her and the Grammys was a great opportunity to remember the best of her, and not her troubles," Reeder said. "But I just don’t think the market and the demand is that big to sustain huge growth year after year."

10559491-large.jpg
The hearse carrying the body of Whitney Houston arrives at Whigham Funeral Home in Newark. Photo by Mark Dye/For The Star-LedgerWhitney Houston's body arrives at Teteboro Airport and Newark gallery (10 photos)
Bob Lefsetz, a former entertainment lawyer who writes a popular blog about the music industry, said because Houston’s career had been dormant, including an underwhelming comeback album in 2009, there is "nothing you can ride the coattails of.""

When Michael Jackson died, he was attempting a comeback," Lefsetz said. "There was a demand. Then there was a movie they made about a tour that never happened. There was a Cirque du Soleil show.

"With Whitney, she was in a lull in her career. There was no momentum."
But Lefsetz added that her overall image of the wholesome songbird she started as would supersede her reputed troubles that plagued her later life as years go on."When someone dies, you tend to only look at the good stuff," he said. "It won’t be too long before we only remember the good Whitney."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/experts_whitney_houstons_posth.html

"When someone dies, you tend to only look at the good stuff," he said. "It won’t be too long before we only remember the good Whitney."

What the hell kind of comment is that . Whitney was always Good she just had struggles in her life.
Not everyone can overcome drug dependecy.. but it has nothign to do with being good or bad.
Why dont people get that ..

What a dumb title to an article of course her Estate wont reach the peaks of Michael or Elvis
Sheesh no one needs an expert to us that .. But it will do well becuase her music has always
been loved around the world and will always sell.

Oh now a bit Harsh harsh! I mean the article. This is all becoming to familar. I just don't agree with this article for some reason.

Whitney Houston still was a icon. And she was a good person, she's done no wrong to any one. Every star suffers, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson all died the same way, a lot of stars suffer in the music industry, that's just how it is.

Oh now a bit Harsh harsh! I mean the article. This is all becoming to familar. I just don't agree with this article for some reason.

I agree with the above quote. I like Michael. And I always will like Michael. But this article sounds to me to be a bit dismissive of Whitney's talent. Her album sales went through the roof after her death. So just like Michael, there is still a market for Whitney's music that could go on for years. She was one of my favorite female singers. This is all just my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I like the article either. Is it necessary to compare her to Michael or Elvis? Whitney was very talented, she had an amazing career, a lot of people love her and miss her. I think it would be better taste to respect her and her incredibly successful career without comparing her to someone else.

And I don't like the "remember the good Whitney" comment. I think he was trying to say something positive, but to me it sounds very judgmental and cold. Whitney had some problems in her life, but having problems doesn't make you a bad person. I don't think we necessarily have to forget the problems, but always remember the good things too and look at the problems with compassion. We don't know what kind of incredible pressure a star like Whitney has to face, and I'm not comfortable judging her for the way she dealt with that pressure.

I don't like the tone of the article, though it has a point in saying that since Whitney didn't write her songs her Estate won't compete with MJ's Estate in terms of income. But then we will also have to note that Elvis didn't write his songs either and his Estate is still doing great. It will obviously depend on whether those who run her Estate will find a good way to keep marketing her. No, her Estate probably won't be in the league of MJ's and Elvis's, but it doesn't have to be either to be successful. She was one of the best singers ever lived after all, an inspiration for many upcoming singers, and there will always be a way to market that.

The last paragraph of the article was indeed uncalled for. So people are not perfect, stars are not perfect? Who cares? She was a great singer and that's all that should matter not whatever issues she might have had in her life. We all have issues.

I don't listen to the press and I just don't like things being turned into a popularity contest!

MattyJam;3599267 said:
So it's a competition between dead stars now then?

ABC journalism reporting at its best "Will Whitney Houston’s Funeral Be as Big as Michael Jackson’s 2009 Memorial?"

Forget the experts I love Whitney.

Yeap, here they go again saying like Michael she had no money. They always present a doomsday view of the artist's life. We all know Witney will not create the same amount of revenue that Michael did after his death, but she still will be making a good amount of money to keep her child wealthy. Is it so hard for them to say something good from beginning to end!!!!!

Really not liking this article, no her estate probably won't be getting the MJ or Elvis type revenue, but who does? Her estate could still possibly do very well, especially if she has a lot of unreleased music. But as stars pass this sort of thing is all the press seem to think about, not that a child lost their mother, not that a woman lost her daughter, not that people lost a friend but the money, its sad.

This really irked me too:

"With Whitney, she was in a lull in her career. There was no momentum." - She had just been filming a movie and was to record the soundtrack for the movie, people were awaiting her to get back on her feet, we were all rooting for Whitney.

So it's a competition between dead stars now then?

It would seem so.:scratch:

What the hell kind of comment is that . Whitney was always Good she just had struggles in her life.
Not everyone can overcome drug dependecy.. but it has nothign to do with being good or bad.
Why dont people get that .....

What a dumb title to an article of course her Estate wont reach the peaks of Michael or Elvis
Sheesh no one needs an expert to us that .. But it will do well becuase her music has always
been loved around the world and will always sell.

You gotta wonder about the people writing these articles at times.....a bunch of brain-dead morons if you ask me.

Yeap, here they go again saying like Michael she had no money. They always present a doomsday view of the artist's life. We all know Witney will not create the same amount of revenue that Michael did after his death, but she still will be making a good amount of money to keep her child wealthy. Is it so hard for them to say something good from beginning to end!!!!!

Its just so ridiculous to me how some folks are always so concerned about other people's money, it a'int even like they will be getting' any! geez.

Last edited:
<hgroup>Why Whitney Houston Won't Match Michael Jackson's Postmortem Earnings

</hgroup>

Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson: King and Queen, but only one's got a full house.

There are plenty of similarities between Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson—both were vastly talented singers who passed away at or around age 50, their deaths met by a global outpouring of grief and support.

But when it comes to postmortem finances, the two superstars couldn’t be more different.
Michael Jackson’s estate has pulled in over half a billion dollarssince his death in 2009, thanks to the flurry of deals made by co-executors John Branca and John McClain. Those include a $60 million upfront payment for concert film This Is It; a seven-year, ten-project record deal with Sony for $250 million; and a joint venture with Cirque du Soleil called Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour, which is grossing over $2 million per show.
<aside class="vestpocket" data-position="5" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 11px; width: 175px; float: left; margin-top: 8px; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 0px; overflow-x: visible; overflow-y: visible; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: relative; padding-bottom: 20px; border-top-width: 5px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); z-index: 1; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; ">8 imagesPhotos: Michael Jackson's Financial Life After Death
30 imagesPhotos: The Top Earning Dead Celebrities
18 images
</aside>The details of who will handle Houston’s estate are still in flux, but industry insiders agree that there’s no way she’ll approach the King of Pop in terms of earnings for a number of reasons. First of all, Michael Jackson left a trove of unreleased material—enough to land the record-breaking deal with Sony. Though her estate will get a boost from the album sales spike in the wake of her death, Houston didn’t leave behind much in the way of new songs.

“There will undoubtedly be an immediate hit from people buying music,” says entertainment attorney Donald David, who has represented the Tupac Shakur estate. “But if she doesn’t have unrecorded tracks, you’re looking at bargain bin best-of albums … those sorts of things don’t have any kind of lifespan, and they don’t produce a lot of money.”

Of the revenue generated by increased sales of Houston’s music, her estate won’t see as much as Jackson’s does. That’s because Jackson wrote or co-wrote many of his greatest hits, including “Billie Jean” and “Beat It.” Other songwriters penned most of Houston’s work, from “I Wanna Dance (With Somebody)” to “I Will Always Love You.”

Dolly Parton wrote the latter, and will therefore receive the publishing revenues from U.S. radio play and licensing to commercials and films. Houston’s estate will only receive artist royalties for record sales and radio play abroad (due the intricacies of U.S. copyright law, only songwriters are paid for radio spins; both songwriters and recording artists are paid across the pond).

To be sure, Houston’s estate will receive plenty of cash from the artist royalties generated by album sales. Michael Jackson sold over 8 million records in the U.S. in the six months after he died, and 20-30 million worldwide. If Houston can do even half that, her estate stands to rake in more than $10 million in the coming year from recorded music alone—and she’s off to a good start, selling 64,000 copies
Whitney: The Greatest Hits the U.S. the day she passed away.

Still, there are no guarantees that Houston will be able to sustain her current pace.
“She’s going to get a bump in play because of the Grammys,” says David. “But come June, that’s going to be the end of it.”

Another potential source of revenue for Houston’s estate is the movie Sparkle. The remake of the 1976 classic features Houston as both an actor and an executive producer; she’ll likely receive a cut of box office revenues, and given the publicity around the film, it’s likely to be a hit.

But matching This Is It will be a tall task—the Jackson concert film grossed over a quarter of a billion dollars worldwide, and the $60 million upfront payment negotiated by the Jackson estate came after his death. Whatever Houston advance received in life is only a fraction of that sum.
<aside class="vestpocket" data-position="5" style="width: 175px; float: left; margin-top: 8px; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 0px; overflow-x: visible; overflow-y: visible; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; position: relative; padding-bottom: 20px; border-top-width: 5px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); z-index: 1; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; ">8 imagesPhotos: Michael Jackson's Financial Life After Death
30 imagesPhotos: The Top Earning Dead Celebrities

</aside>Just as the fact that Houston wasn’t a songwriter and didn’t leave a vast library of unreleased recordings will limit the earnings potential of her estate, so too will the relative size and intensity of her fan base.
“Michael Jackson had a huge, fanatical worldwide following,” says David. “Whitney Houston just doesn’t have that.”

Though Houston’s postmortem financial output won’t approach Jackson’s, her impact will certainly continue to be felt throughout the entertainment industry and beyond—witness the quality and quantity of tributes to the late singer at the Grammys.

Host LL Cool J opened the show with a prayer; Bruno Mars and Alicia Keys quickly added their own words; Jennifer Hudson performed a moving rendition of “I Will Always Love You.”

Perhaps the most moving eulogy came from Grammy-winning singer Melanie Fiona. Speaking to a handful of journalists assembled in the print media room at the Staples Center, the 28-year-old songstress explained how she first heard Houston’s music in her childhood crib; “Greatest Love Of All” was the first song Fiona ever performed.

“I would not be up here as a nominee or as a winner with out her influence in my life,” Fiona said. “My heart is heavy right now. I feel proud to say she was such a huge influence to me.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...match-michael-jacksons-postmortem-earnings/2/

I honestly did not have a problem with the article. It is very straight forward, objective and truthful. There is no disrespect to Whitney Houston at all, imo. Whitney was a great artist but could never compare to Michael in any way, he was HUGE. Elvis may not have written any of this songs, but the truth is he was HUGE.
Whitney imo, wasn't in the same realm, she was big but not at the same level as Michael or Elvis. It is true Whitney Houston's sales will have a ceiling, she started in 85 and the last big thing she did was in the mid 90's I believe. Her catalog is not as extensive as Michael's. We knew Michael since he was a child, he sold over 750 million records, and his catalog is limitless!

Anyway, Whitney did have image problems since she married Bobby Brown. She was not the wholesome, sweet person she was before then. That's my opinion. All the article is saying is that most ppl will remember the sweet, wholesome image she had from 85 to 92.

Its just so ridiculous to me how some folks are always so concerned about other people's money, it a'int even like they will be getting' any! geez.

^^Right!!! Don't forget that the people who write the reports will never come close to getting their hands on that amount of money themselves, yet they speak with disdain at the amount the artist has. Hey I could do a lot with 10 mil.

Let's talk about the new Billbord Charts rules.

Whitney songs are allowed to re-enter the Hot 100 Singles Charts :smilerolleyes:

They didn't change anything when Michael was storming the charts in 2009 and also in 2008 with Thriller 25th.

Billboard is a joke, they change their rules for who they want, Eagles in 2007 e now Whitney.

I honestly did not have a problem with the article. It is very straight forward, objective and truthful. There is no disrespect to Whitney Houston at all, imo. Whitney was a great artist but could never compare to Michael in any way, he was HUGE. Elvis may not have written any of this songs, but the truth is he was HUGE.
Whitney imo, wasn't in the same realm, she was big but not at the same level as Michael or Elvis. It is true Whitney Houston's sales will have a ceiling, she started in 85 and the last big thing she did was in the mid 90's I believe. Her catalog is not as extensive as Michael's. We knew Michael since he was a child, he sold over 750 million records, and his catalog is limitless!

Anyway, Whitney did have image problems since she married Bobby Brown. She was not the wholesome, sweet person she was before then. That's my opinion. All the article is saying is that most ppl will remember the sweet, wholesome image she had from 85 to 92.
i second this post.

i dont think This Is It was that big a factor in michael's post humous sales. even without TII, i think his sales would of been through the roof.

Whitney Houston still was a icon. And she was a good person, she's done no wrong to any one. Every star suffers, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson all died the same way, a lot of stars suffer in the music industry, that's just how it is.
Michael died under the hands of Murray. he had no control. Elvis death is debatable but still he took the pills by his own so did marilyn. Michaels death was a homicide.. i don't get what the way they died has anything to do with their status after death

In other news, the sun is a star.

Of course her sales won't match Michael's or Elvis'. She was an amazing singer, but nowhere near the same league as Michael, etc. Why didn't they say something smart like this when Amy Winehouse [or any other white artist] died?

frankly (can't believe i'm saying this) i can understand her being compared to Elvis. both became loved because of their unique voice. did WH write her songs? not that it takes away from her talent but to be able to compare her with MJ her talent should go beyond singing. Elvis is compared to MJ because both broke boundaries. many may disagree but Elvis brought something new, at least to the white audience. MJ, well he just had it ALL from the voice down to developing new style. to compare anyone to him is just UNFAIR. to me WH is not even at the same level.

No one could compete with MJ alive - and no one can compete with him dead.

In other news, the sun is a star.

Of course her sales won't match Michael's or Elvis'. She was an amazing singer, but nowhere near the same league as Michael, etc. Why didn't they say something smart like this when Amy Winehouse [or any other white artist] died?

Spot on.

Why Whitney Houston Won't Match Michael Jackson's Postmortem Earnings (Part 2)

Earlier this week, I wrote a story titled &#8220;Why Whitney Houston Won&#8217;t Match Michael Jackson&#8217;s Postmortem Earnings,&#8221; trying to clear up some of the misconceptions about both singers&#8217; estates. I decided to pen the piece after a number of print, web and television outlets (including CBS, CNN, E!, MSNBC and Yahoo!) asked me for an explanation of the difference between the two cases.

I mostly made apples-to-apples comparisons, talking about the fact that Jackson wrote most of his major hits, including &#8220;Beat It&#8221; and &#8220;Billie Jean,&#8221; whereas other songwriters penned Houston mainstays like &#8220;I Wanna Dance (With Somebody)&#8221; and &#8220;I Will Always Love You,&#8221; the latter by Dolly Parton. I compared the posthumous films of both artists, Jackson&#8217;s This Is It and Houston&#8217;s Sparkle, due out in August. And I mentioned Jackson&#8217;s lucrative Cirque Du Soleil tour.

But that&#8217;s just the tip of the proverbial iceberg of differences between the estates of Houston and Jackson. The King of Pop has pulled in over half a billion dollars in the two-and-a-half years since his death, a sizable chunk of which comes from his control of an asset far more valuable than any owned by Houston&#8211;or, for that matter, any entertainer.

Why Whitney Won't Match Michael Jackson's Postmortem Earnings (Part 1) Zack O'Malley GreenburgForbes Staff

Video: Whitney's Financial Life After Death

8 imagesPhotos: MJ's Postmortem Money Machine

7 imagesPhotos: The Five Top-Earning Dead Musicians

The largest jewel in Jackson&#8217;s financial crown, both in life and in death, is his 50% stake in the Sony/ATV music publishing catalog. Purchased by Jackson for $47.5 million in 1985 from the late Australian billionaire Robert Holmes a Court, it now includes hits from the Beatles, Elvis Presley and others (Jackson&#8217;s attorney quickly sold an incidental chunk of the catalog for $6 million, bringing the true purchase price even lower).

Within ten years of buying ATV, Jackson would merge the catalog with Sony&#8217;s in exchange for an upfront payment of $95 million and a 50% stake in the joint venture, Sony/ATV.

The combined entity has continued to reinvest dividends in new copyrights and is now worth at least $2 billion, judging by the recent sale of the comparable EMI catalog for $2.2 billion&#8211;and today throws off some $50-$75 million annually.

In short, the Jackson estate&#8217;s stake in Sony/ATV alone will likely pull in more cash than Houston&#8217;s entire estate will generate in 2012.

&#8220;She&#8217;s going to get a bump in play because of the Grammys,&#8221; explained entertainment attorney Donald David, who has represented the Tupac Shakur estate, to me earlier in the week. &#8220;But come June, that&#8217;s going to be the end of it.&#8221;

That&#8217;s not to say the Houston estate will have a bad year&#8211;far from it. As I outlined in my first piece on this topic, if Houston sells even half as many albums as Jackson did in the six months after his death, her estate stands to gain over $10 million from recorded music alone.

And regardless of the status of Houston&#8217;s will, her daughter, Bobbi Kristina&#8211;not ex-husband Bobby Brown&#8211;stands to keep the proceeds.

&#8220;If there&#8217;s a will, the daughter gets it,&#8221; says Lynne Gold-Bikin, former chair of the American Bar Association&#8217;s family law section and chair of family law at Weber Gallagher LLP. &#8220;If there is no will, the daughter is the one who will still inherit everything.&#8221;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...ewpost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120217

Back