2008 ~ New Edition 25th Anniversary

tumblr_o6zxqkNblh1rw606ko1_540.jpg

Release date: June 13, 2016

Bobby Brown has been one of the most compelling American artists of the past thirty years, a magnetic and talented figure who successfully crossed over many musical genres, including R&B and hip hop, as well as the mainstream. In the late 1980s, the former front man of New Edition had a wildly successful solo career—especially with the launch of Don't Be Cruel—garnering multiple hits on the Billboard top ten list, as well as several Grammy, American Music, and Soul Train awards. But Brown put his career on hold to be with the woman he loved—American music royalty Whitney Houston. The marriage between Brown and Houston was perhaps the most closely watched and talked about marriage of the 1990s—a pairing that obsessed the public and the gossip industry. Now, for the first time, the world will be able to hear the truth from the mouth of America’s “bad boy” himself. Raw and powerful, Every Little Step is the story of a man who has been on the top of the mountain and in the depths of the valley and who is now finally ready to talk about his career and family life, from the passion and the excess to his creative inspirations and massive musical success.

On the process of writing this book, Bobby says, “Right after I signed on to write my story, I went through one of the most agonizing traumas I had ever experienced with the death of my daughter. But I was surprised by how therapeutic it was to work on this project, to look at the entire arc of my life and to realize that although there has been considerable pain, I have also been incredibly blessed. I hope my fans and other readers of this book will be entertained by this trip into the crazy, exciting, fascinating world of Bobby Brown. And I hope they will feel that I have been as honest and open with them in these pages as I have tried to be my entire life.”

Thanks Duran! I've been hearing about this project. Can't wait til it airs! :) I'm so there.
Didn't know Bryshere Gray aka Hakeem Lyon from Empire was in it portraying Michael Bivins.

The New Edition Story 2017

Here's some clips from the upcoming miniseries

B E T Special - Dec 17, 2016

There's going to be a feature about NE on Saturday Dec 17

Sounds good enough. Thanks for the alert Duran. :) I'll set the DVR.
But right now I'm gonna check out those other clips that you posted.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip, Duran. I'm watching it right now too, Silouette, and checking them out on Wikipedia along with a bunch of other "boy bands." I was an adult when all these groups hit and I just thought it was smart of somebody (I guess in their case, Maurice Starr) to create a Jackson 5 for the newest generation. I didn't realize til now New Edition came before Boys II Men.

And I was wondering if their name "New Edition" meant they were the new edition of the Jackson 5-according to Wikipedia, that is true. Lol. They do sound like them.
This little doc is pretty good-looking forward to the movie now.

There's going to be a feature about NE on Saturday Dec 17

Thanks for the tip, Duran. I'm watching it right now too, Silouette, and checking them out on Wikipedia along with a bunch of other "boy bands." I was an adult when all these groups hit and I just thought it was smart of somebody (I guess in their case, Maurice Starr) to create a Jackson 5 for the newest generation. I didn't realize til now New Edition came before Boys II Men.

And I was wondering if their name "New Edition" meant they were the new edition of the Jackson 5-according to Wikipedia, that is true. Lol. They do sound like them.
This little doc is pretty good-looking forward to the movie now.

Yep, I think the doc is a prelude to the movie coming in 2017.I'm looking forward to it.

But Barbee, I read some where or heard on a music program or something :thinking:
that the name was picked out of a hat but who put that name in the hat? Lol!
Nonetheless, they have always said that the J5 were their inspiration.

The show was great! Candid, fun and a relaxed, down to earth convo with the fellas. :D

I loved when Bobby said in reference to his first solo on Soul Train that he "was definitely scared" and as he watched
a clip of himself on the show, he said "I wasn't fully BOBBY BROWN yet" and "my swag was just way too much."
That cracked me up!

I love NE dam near as much as I love the Jacksons. :)

Soul Train Life (2016)

Someone uploaded the special. I don't know how long it will be up, so if anyone is interested, watch it ASAP.

January 9, 2017 | by Alan Light | Billboard
New-Edition-bb1-2017-predictions-billboard-1548.jpg

New Edition exploded out of Boston’s housing projects in the early 1980s, setting a *precedent for the fleet of boy bands to follow, with its *carefully groomed look (and moves) -- and the group’s share of *offstage drama (contract rip-offs! Onstage fights!). Before a three-part BET biopic, The New Edition Story, airs Jan. 24-26, members Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown and Ralph Tresvant look back on the pivotal career moments you’re likely to see onscreen.

Tresvant is unofficially designated the group’s star when he’s pushed to the center of New Edition’s “Candy Girl” photo shoot.
Ralph Tresvant: I remember everybody being kind of defensive during that shoot, but I loved it! I didn’t focus on me being in the center; I just focused on our first album coming together.
Bobby Brown: I damn sure didn’t want to be the one in the middle! I had already made up my mind that Ralph was the lead singer and that he was going to take us to the promised land.
Michael Bivins: My sweatshirt was too big, pants were too tight, I didn’t like my smile -- I didn’t trip off of Ralph, I just hated that picture of myself!

The members’ *mothers *unknowingly sign a bad deal, leaving the group with $1.87 among them after a successful tour.
Bivins: I almost didn’t sign that deal. I thought it was going to take away from my dream of being a *basketball player.
Tresvant: I just thought the money was in a bank account somewhere where we couldn’t have access to it.
Bivins: I remember I was playing ball, and *[bandmates] Ricky [Bell] and Bobby ran over to my side of the *project, talking about the money. I was trying to *understand why they were so upset. It didn’t register until I went to the house and my mom explained it to me.
Brown: I felt like that was the beginning of the end. I had always wanted to be solo, and I knew that we had a chance to get a better deal at a major label.
Tresvant: They really did give us a check for $1.87. I just saw a picture of it recently.
04-new-edition-press-photo-bet-bb1-2017-billboard-1548.jpg

Scene from The New Edition Story miniseries

Brown is voted out of New Edition in 1985.
Bivins: Bob was missing a lot of flights. His mother came to New York three times to explain his attitude, to tell us to give him a break. He and I were close, but we started getting into it physically.
Brown: I was not *comfortable or happy. We all came from the hood, but I came from the hood hood, from a family of gangsters and hustlers. I wanted to make some money. And I was wild and loose then -- I had gotten my *girlfriend pregnant, and drugs played a bit part in my life at that time. There were so many fights among the group, we could have put a whole comedy out.
Tresvant: We had a meeting, and management said he was causing a lot of problems and messing up our image. I tried not to participate in the vote. But I talked to him and his mom, and he had already signed a deal as a solo artist. That’s when I had to let go. We had to move on.
Bivins: It was a tough *decision, but if we didn’t kick Bobby out, we never would have seen the explosiveness of “My Prerogative” and his solo career.

After a few reunion attempts through the years, with and without Brown, the full group gets back together in 2011.
Brown: The Home Again Tour [in 1997] was a disaster [Brown and Ronnie DeVoe got into an onstage fight at one show]. And the next one, I was so far gone -- two weeks before it started, I had a heart attack, but I went out there to stand onstage with my brothers.
Tresvant: It was always something in the back of our minds, but everyone’s career took off individually, and you have to get the most out of that while it’s hot. But there was a feeling that it was time.
Bivins: Having New Edition means we can take care of our families, see our fans. There’s no solving all the problems or the inner workings because they’ve been going on so long, but we knew that dollars made sense.
Brown: New Edition is not done, and I keep working on myself so I can be part of the next beginning.

This article originally appeared in the Jan. 14 issue of Billboard.

Ricky & Amy Correa Bell, Ronnie & Shamari DeVoe, Barack & Michelle Obama, Teasha & Michael Bivins

tumblr_oi99w7Mh2d1rw606ko1_r19_1280.jpg

Hollywood Walk of Fame

NE got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on January 23, 2017

by Oriana Schwindt | January 25, 2017 | Variety
the-new-edition-story-ratings.jpg

BET’s miniseries “The New Edition Story” got off to a gangbusters start Tuesday night. The network simulcast the premiere on sibling network Centric, and between them both, they pulled in 4.4 million pairs of eyeballs — 2.6 million of which were in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic — for the two-hour installment.

BET attracted the lion’s share of the audience, with 4.2 million total viewers and 2.5 million in the demo. That overall 2.6 million figure in the demo translates to a 1.44 rating, outdoing most of the series on broadcast TV that night. On BET, it was the network’s highest-rated premiere in five years.

The miniseries charts the course of Ur-boy band New Edition from their humble Boston beginnings to global megastardom, detailing the controversy and personnel changes along the way, and ruminating on the ultimate cost of fame. The cast includes Bryshere Y. Gray, Elijah Kelley, Luke James, Keith Powers, Algee Smith, and Woody McClainas the adult members of New Edition.

The New Edition Story” is executive produced by Jesse Collins (“Real Husbands of Hollywood”) for JCE Films, a division of Jesse Collins Entertainment; directed by Chris Robinson (“ATL”) and co-produced by Brooke Payne, Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, Ronnie DeVoe, Johnny Gill, Ralph Tresvant, and Bobby Brown.

The second installment of the miniseries airs Wednesday, Jan. 25 on BET, and will finish on Thursday, Jan. 26.

Anybody watch it? Was it good? I got home in time to see the last 15 minutes of the last night. Hoping BET repeats it on a weekend or something. They showed movies all Sunday to get ready for this-The Temptations and The Five Heartbeats-love those movies.

Back