2014 Winter Olympics- Sochi Thread

In all the Olympics the medal counter is based on which country has more gold medals.

Stay tuned to watch the copules from USA and GrB doing the MJ routines for their long programs on ice dancing tomorrow! :sarmoti:

Penny and Nick from UK did great job on ice dancing. Its a pity we cannot vote for winner:)

Figure skating: ice dance gold metal final is on right now on NBCSN (cable) The British couple already skated. They were pretty good. Johnny Weir broadcasting crew likes MJ. The american siblings are skating in the next group.

Last edited:
The Shibutani siblings (USA) were in 9th place and the Brits Penny Coomes and Nicholas Buckland in 10th one. But hey, both couples were part the top 10. The Gold (Meryl Davis and Charlie White, USA) and Silver (Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Canada) medal winner have skated together since 1997, they have lots of years of experience in comparison to those younger couples mentioned previously.

Anyway, amazing skate dancing finale, the podium was correct, Russia got the Bronze medal. Yesterday I wanted the Canadians to repeat Gold since I loved more their short program but the USA couple had an spectacular long program, it was perfection, so beautiful to watch.

I'm watching bobsleigh on CBC and Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse of Canada just went first and now finished. Get the gold ladies!

Here's the symbols for CBC & NBC during Sochi Olympics.

OlympicWinterGames_CBC-300x250.jpg

NBC-Sochi-Olympics-Logo-e1359908956956.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed that Finland defeated Russia in the Quarter-Final, my hopes of seeing Canada vs Russia for the Gold in hockey is not gonna happen. But at least Tuukka Rask did very well.

Now I'm gonna watch Canada vs Latvia.

I'm a bit disappointed that Finland defeated Russia in the Quarter-Final, my hopes of seeing Canada vs Russia for the Gold in hockey is not gonna happen. But at least Tuukka Rask did very well.

Well I wasn't disappointed one bit, hurray Sochi Gremlins:D

Canada in Women's Curling (vs Sweden) is underway and in Women's Hockey (vs USA) will be on in 2 hours, both going for Gold.

Tomorrow in Men's Hockey Semi-Finals, Canada vs USA and Sweden vs Finland. I guess I'm gonna change my prediction, I'm hoping to see Canada vs Finland again, this time for Gold. For me it'll be Canada's Patrice Bergeron vs Finland's Tuukka Rask a Boston Bruins showdown in the Olympics.

BREAKING OLYMPIC UPDATE!

Canada defeated USA 3-2 in overtime in Women's Hockey and won their 4th consecutive gold medal and 4th over the US.

Also Canada won another gold today in Women's Curling defeating Sweden 6-3. That gives Canada winning their 6th gold medal.

Congrads. to all countries, and sports, truly love watching the Olympics. Everyone trains very hard for this, to me everyone is a winner, they sure are true athletes. Bless them all.

Is the figure skating on tonight USA time?

I thought Kin Yuna would repeat Gold on this Olympics but I've learned in those 12 years following the skate figure in any of its categories is, that sport is about perfection, the closer skaters get, the closer to win the first place, the case of Russian skater Adelina Sotnikova, beating Kim Yuna (South Korea) and Carolina Kotsner (Italy).

A couple more gold for Canada. In Ski Cross Canada's Marielle Thompson won the gold medal and Canada's Kelsey Serwa won silver.

Just earlier late morning in Men's Curling, Canada defeated UK 9-3 and win their gold medal.

Meanwhile in Men's Hockey, Sweden defeated Finland 2-1 and advances to a Gold Medal games until they face either Canada/USA for Sunday. Canada vs USA are underway right now and I'm watching it at the library on CBC's Live Webcam.

It was 20 years since Sweden met Canada in an icehockey finale in the olympics.
Swedens coach now was an assistant coach then.

CANADA WON!!!! 1-0 over USA. Thanx to Jamie Benn!

Bronze Medal Game- USA vs Finland

Gold Medal Game- Canada vs Sweden

Sad that we lost. I really hope we don't lose the bronze game tomorrow.

I pick Finland to win Bronze. I'll be watching that and the Gold Medal game on CBC. But I have to wake up early Sunday morning for Canada vs Sweden.

This'll be special for Teemu Selanne this year, 1st/last NHL outdoor game, final Olympic game, final season with the Anaheim Ducks and final season in the NHL.

Even though I missed so much to watch Evgeni Plushenko competing, Yuzuru Hanyu deserved to win the Gold medal in figure skating, in his short program he was perfection. First time Japan gets a Gold medal in that category. I think tomorrow starts the skating dance short programs, I don't remember if the couples from USA and GrB used Michael for their short program or long one, I'll check it out anyway.

I wonder if Kim Yuna will repeat Gold medal for ladies.

I believe there was 2 teams that used Michael's music.. The UK and The US :)

The Sochi Olympics is finally over. But I ain't done with this yet. I wanna share about the Gold Medal game in hockey but first, I wanna talk about the Bronze Medal game between USA vs Finland.

That was Teemu Selanne's last Olympic game, he scores a pair of goals giving Finland a bronze medal in a 5-0 victory over the Americans, like in the Semi-Final vs Canada, the American's weren't producing much offence like they should've they looked fatigued in my eyes and I've predicted the Finns are gonna win bronze anyways and I was right. Tuukka Rask was an awesome goalie for Finland, seeing him winning the bronze medal made me think with it he'll be able to help win the Stanley Cup for the Boston Bruins this time.

The Gold Medal Game. Canada vs Sweden, like all across the country we have to wake up pretty early in the morning to watch the game live and I was one, I set my alarm to 6:30am (EST) and my dad came over to watch the game with me. Jonathan Toews scored the first goal for Canada in the 1st period, then it was 2nd period and Sidney Crosby finally socred his first goal of the whole tournament making it 2-0 for Canada. 3rd period, Chris Kunitz scores 3-0 for Canada making it difficult for the Swedes to catch up and until Jim Hughson of CBC (Hockey Night In Canada) utters "Count it down Canada, you've got another gold!" and Canada won their 2nd consecutive Gold Medal.

Here's the recap of the game from CBC.
[YOUTUBE]vY3MjgoMtCU[/YOUTUBE]

^^ And a congratulations to the Canadian Women's hockey team for winning the gold as well!! :D

CANADA GOLD

Women's Hockey
image.jpg

Men's Hockey
image.jpg

Now. The Olympics is finally over. Guess it's back to watching the NHL games for me. CBC's Scott Russell and Diana Swain stated the whole park in Sochi is like Russia's Winter Disneyland and it does look like Disneyland slightly. During the Closing Ceremony they've announced the next Winter Olympics will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea.

I'm ready PyeongChang. I'll be waiting.

Here's a recent tweet from CBC thanking the Canadians who watches the Sochi Olympics on CBC. CBC is the best for broadcasting the Olympics in Canada.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>Thanks, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Canada&amp;src=hash">#Canada</a>. You made <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Sochi2014&amp;src=hash">#Sochi2014</a> a <a href="https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics">@CBCOlympics</a> to remember. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cbcolympics&amp;src=hash">#cbcolympics</a> <a href="http://t.co/oNpSxmq8dv">pic.twitter.com/oNpSxmq8dv</a></p>&mdash; CBC (@CBC) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBC/statuses/439099287352258560">February 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back