2016 Summer Olympics- Rio Thread

Allusio;4161877 said:
I’m very happy for Russia to be #4!

I can’t describe all the hate that was spread by media… I felt pressure by just supporting! That was not fun or entertaining at all.

There was no need to make it about politics, bulling and hate, IMO.

Still hoping things will be different for Russia Paralympics.

Wasn't the problem that there was systematic doping by Russia at the Sochi Winter Olympics? So what I don't get is: why did they punish the Summer Olympics athletes? It doesn't seem fair. If there is evidence of doping at the Winter Olympics just strip those athletes of their medals.

Psychoniff;4161887 said:
They kept playing Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough at the Olympic stadium during the track & Field.

And Beat It between the canoeing events.

Here's the Final Top 20 Medal Count

1. USA- 46 (Gold), 37 (Silver), 38 (Bronze)= 121
2. China- 16 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 26 (Bronze)= 70
3. Great Britain- 27 (Gold), 23 (Silver), 17 (Bronze)= 67
4. Russia- 19 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 19 (Bronze)= 56
5. Germany- 17 (Gold), 10 (Silver), 15 (Bronze)= 42
6. France- 10 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 14 (Bronze)= 42
7. Japan- 12 (Gold), 8 (Silver), 21 (Bronze)= 41
8. Australia- 8 (Gold), 11(Silver), 10 (Bronze)= 29
9. Italy- 8 (Gold), 12 (Silver), 8 (Bronze)= 28
10. Canada- 4 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 15 (Bronze)= 22
11. South Korea- 9 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 9 (Bronze)= 21
12. Netherlands- 8 (Gold), 7 (Silver), 4 (Bronze)= 19
13. Brazil- 7 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 6 (Bronze)= 19
14. New Zealand- 4 (Gold), 9 (Silver), 5 (Bronze)= 18
15. Azerbaijan- 1 (Gold), 7 (Silver), 10 (Bronze)= 18
16. Spain- 7 (Gold), 4 (Silver), 6 (Bronze)= 17
17. Kazakhstan- 3 (Gold), 5 (Silver), 9 (Bronze)= 17
18. Hungary- 8 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 4 (Bronze)= 15
19. Denmark- 2 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 7 (Bronze)= 15
20. Kenya- 6 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 13

Pretty satisfying for Canada, the Canadian women athletes were dominating on winning medals. Penny Oleksiak and Andre De Grasse were the most impressive athletes I've seen in the games today. Olelsiak will be Canada's next flag bearer.

The next summer games will be held in Tokyo 2020.

Get Ready Tokyo because...
55048409.jpg

Trust me it is the same with everyone. You win some, you lose one. We had the same story at the women's waterpolo Bronze match. We were leading most of the match. Last second (no exaggeration, last second!) the Russians scored an equalizer then won the match on the penalty shoot-out.

Yeah but this year it was extreme for us. A country like ours can't afford ten 4th place finishes, that makes a huge difference in the medal tally. But I suppose I shouldn't complain, the end result was alright :)

We weren't involved in those matches but I heard there were cheatings in boxing as well. Referee corruption must end.

Yeah, some officials were even sent home because they were suspected of cheating.

Yes, the consistent good results at the Summer Olympics put as pretty high on the All Time Medal table.

That's amazing. I wonder what puts Finland so high though, I never really thought of them as a sports nation. The Netherlands didn't become invested in sports until the 1970s or so, before that we were awful (even in football, didn't qualify for any tournament between 1938 and 1974). So we have a lot of catching up to do :blush:

In turn our All Time medal count in winter olympics is a humble 0-2-4. All the medals won in figure skating. We have no big mountains and no big, consistent snow in winter.

We have the same problem :( No mountains, no permanent snow (some winters we don't get any snow at all), part of the country below sea level... not really conducive to winter sports. But we have the advantage that speed skating is hugely popular here so we beef up our medal count that way. Out of the 110 medals we won in total, 105 were in speed skating ;D

Here's the Final Top 20 Medal Count

1. USA- 46 (Gold), 37 (Silver), 38 (Bronze)= 121
2. China- 16 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 26 (Bronze)= 70
3. Great Britain- 27 (Gold), 23 (Silver), 17 (Bronze)= 67
4. Russia- 19 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 19 (Bronze)= 56
5. Germany- 17 (Gold), 10 (Silver), 15 (Bronze)= 42
6. France- 10 (Gold), 18 (Silver), 14 (Bronze)= 42
7. Japan- 12 (Gold), 8 (Silver), 21 (Bronze)= 41
8. Australia- 8 (Gold), 11(Silver), 10 (Bronze)= 29
9. Italy- 8 (Gold), 12 (Silver), 8 (Bronze)= 28
10. Canada- 4 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 15 (Bronze)= 22
11. South Korea- 9 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 9 (Bronze)= 21
12. Netherlands- 8 (Gold), 7 (Silver), 4 (Bronze)= 19
13. Brazil- 7 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 6 (Bronze)= 19
14. New Zealand- 4 (Gold), 9 (Silver), 5 (Bronze)= 18
15. Azerbaijan- 1 (Gold), 7 (Silver), 10 (Bronze)= 18
16. Spain- 7 (Gold), 4 (Silver), 6 (Bronze)= 17
17. Kazakhstan- 3 (Gold), 5 (Silver), 9 (Bronze)= 17
18. Hungary- 8 (Gold), 3 (Silver), 4 (Bronze)= 15
19. Denmark- 2 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 7 (Bronze)= 15
20. Kenya- 6 (Gold), 6 (Silver), 1 (Bronze)= 13

That medal table doesn't make any sense. South Korea with 9 Gold is behind Canada with 4 Gold and Hungary with 8 Gold is behind Kazakhstan with 3 Gold. Not all medals are worth the same, gold medals should weigh heavier than bronze medals imo.

Last edited:
Can't believe the US did that great-I watched the women's gymnastics and some diving/swimming.
But all anybody on the news is talking about is that idiot Ryan. :(

People should be talking about Simone Biles or Michael Phelps instead. I wasn't aware what that Ryan guy had done but now that I know, what a douchebag he is but the media should focus on the great accomplishments Simone, Michael or even Usain Bolt achieved instead of focusing on the negative things.

I agree with Linda, the medal table is ranked depending on which countries won more gold medals.

respect77;4162005 said:
Wasn't the problem that there was systematic doping by Russia at the Sochi Winter Olympics? So what I don't get is: why did they punish the Summer Olympics athletes? It doesn't seem fair. If there is evidence of doping at the Winter Olympics just strip those athletes of their medals.

They couldn’t strip of their medals because they don’t have proves!

All they could do is to let media scream on every corner that there is a problem with systematic doping in Russian, only in Russia!

They blew it out of proportion so there was a BAN! A ban of athletes with perfect reputation (Yelena Isinbayeva, for example). Nobody gave her any reasons... Apart from that she lives and trains in Russia.

Maybe if it looks remotely fair I would agree that it all our own fault and we are the one to blame… but different details show perfectly how absurd this situation is.

Now they ban Paralympics! ALL TEAM.

Belarus is going to carry a flag of Russia.

LindavG;4162053 said:
That medal table doesn't make any sense. South Korea with 9 Gold is behind Canada with 4 Gold and Hungary with 8 Gold is behind Kazakhstan with 3 Gold. Not all medals are worth the same, gold medals should weigh heavier than bronze medals imo.

I think there are two kinds of medal tables. One where countries are ranked by the number of Gold medals, then if it is a tie on Golds you rank them based on Silver etc. That looks like this:

medals.jpg

And there is the kind of table where it doesn't matter if it is Gold, Silver or Bronze they just rank the countries by the overall number of medals. Which is what Pop posted. I think in evey country they tend to favour the kind of table where their country is higher. I heard when China beat the USA in the number of Gold medals in Bejing they used the overall medal count for that olympics on TV etc (while they always used the first method before) so that they can still make themselves the #1 somehow. LOL. But I think the real, traditional medal table is the first one, where the medals aren't all worth the same, but Gold is worth more than Silver and Silver is worth more than Bronze.

Allusio;4162134 said:
They couldn’t strip of their medals because they don’t have proves!

All they could do is to let media scream on every corner that there is a problem with systematic doping in Russian, only in Russia!

They blew it out of proportion so there was a BAN! A ban of athletes with perfect reputation (Yelena Isinbayeva, for example). Nobody gave her any reasons... Apart from that she lives and trains in Russia.

Maybe if it looks remotely fair I would agree that it all our own fault and we are the one to blame… but different details show perfectly how absurd this situation is.

Now they ban Paralympics! ALL TEAM.

Belarus is going to carry a flag of Russia.

That seems effed up. If they have no proof they should not punish - especially athletes who themselves have nothing to do with it. I wonder if it is political. Unfortunately the Olympics gets often infected with political agendas and lobbies.

^ Political or not, I just wish people to be more respectful and understanding to each other. IDK what someone’s real goals were but what I see is that people of two countries are turning to hate each other. People of two countries are set to take each other as enemies. That is a very sad development. Sport, especially Olympic games, should unite people!

I did the Medal table for the Total of Medals, not for the total of Gold. CBC did the table for total of medals which I did the table from, anywhere else did the tables for total of Gold. I mean does it really matter?

Allusio;4162147 said:
IDK what someone’s real goals were but what I see is that people of two countries are turning to hate each other. People of two countries are set to take each other as enemies. That is a very sad development. Sport, especially Olympic games, should unite people!

Do you mean the US and Russia?

Back