Adam Ant & His Artistry

@wendijane

Posting this one for you more than for me, wendi. Mixed feelings from me on this one. Adore the song, he looks beautiful ... BUT ... it's the moment when his crossover to 'pop' star really happened. He didn't need to do it, imo, and his earlier stuff will always be superior for me. But his pop songs were brilliant, he was brilliant at being a pop star so I still loved him. That said, I don't think this is a great TOTP performance but it was his first so everything kicks off here. :)

Adam and the Ants / Dog Eat Dog - October 1980

4m 43s - skip the first 1m 30s or so if you want to avoid some painful British 'humour'.

Imo, Stand and Deliver is when Adam really started to tell stories in his videos and flag up his cultural influences.

Also, with the exception of 'Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom' by Little Richard, these are my fave ever lyrics. :D

"Qua qua da diddley qua qua da diddley
Qua qua da diddley qua qua da diddley
Qua qua da diddley qua qua da diddley
Qua qua da diddley qua qua da diddley"

Stand and Deliver - May 1981

3m 6s

Last edited:
Prince Charming - Sept 1981

"Don't you ever, don't you ever
Lower yourself, forgetting all your standards

Prince charming, prince charming
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

(lyrics by Adam Ant)

Last edited:
Clint Eastwood

american-actor-clint-eastwood-on-the-set-of-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-written-and-directed.jpg

Apart from Jimi Hendrix this is the best ever TOTP performance, imo. People go on and on about Bowie's Starman and, sure, it was fine and it did influence loads of people, no question, but this is the one for me.

Alice Cooper / School's Out - TOTP, 1972

Last edited:
Adam had his problems with crappy press and speculation and misrepresentation. His best song on that, imo, was Press Darlings but this is also great. Best ending of a video ever, imo.

"Look out or they'll tell you
You're a "Superstar"
Two weeks and you're an all-time legend
I think the games have gone much too far"

(lyrics by Adam Ant)

Goody Two Shoes - May 1982

3m 20s

Last edited:
Puss n' Boots - Oct 1983

"Pussycat wasn't a kitten
And not as dumb as they thought
She had a good head on her shoulders
And beauty that couldn't be bought

The royalty made her an offer
If she'd keep trouble at bay
They'd give her the money and diamonds
Be queen for a day"

(lyrics by Adam Ant)

4m 9s

Last edited:
Annnnd as if by magic ..she's back !

also , the fact that they got on so well ....both guys are humble and genuine , You have only got to to look at an interview of AA see how down to earth he is. No aries or graces there (although , he is like a real prince charming ) it warms my cold heart yep , that M found a friend in Stuart/Adam.
Michael and Adam both had problems with media misrepresentation and gossipy approaches to their work instead of serious attention. So frustrating.

Back