All TMZ stories: Jackson family pursuit of Justice (wrongful death lawsuit)/see pg6 for documents

Joe Jackson Gets Wrongful Death Ball Rolling

Joe Jackson Gets Wrongful Death Ball Rolling

Posted Mar 24th 2010 1:28PM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned Joe Jackson will send Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyer a notice next week that he will be filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the doc for the death of Michael Jackson.

According to California law, the plaintiff in a medical malpractice, wrongful death suit must give 90 days notice before filing the case in court.

Brian Oxman, Joe Jackson's lawyer, tells TMZ the suit will ask punitive damages, economic support, loss of companionship and loss of consortium (deprivation of family relationship). It will seek an unspecified amount of money damages.

Oxman says the case will be filed in L.A. County Superior Court. So far, only Joe has signed up, but Oxman says he will add any family member who wants in as a plaintiff.

UPDATE: Ed Chernoff, Dr. Murray's lawyer, just reacted to Oxman's move by saying, "That's like throwing a bucket of water on a man drowning in the ocean." Translation -- good luck collecting anything.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0j7XmiD8m

Re: Joe Jackson Gets Wrongful Death Ball Rolling

Wel done Joe at least someone is doing something.. Its all gonna come out..

In my opinion, Joe Jackson should wait until the criminal case is completed, before he takes any action. I mean, what's the rush, Murray ain't going nowhere.

Aside from the fact that everything that is revealed in the criminal case, can also be used for any lawsuits that are filed in the future. But I guess with an attorney like Oxman at the helm, this type of thing is expected.

I'm almost positive that any other attorney would advise Mr. Jackson to wait, until the criminal case is over.

It will seek an unspecified amount of money damages.
cause thats all joe ever cared about. they should know the police will stop any suit until the crim case is over
loss of companionship
lol whats he claiming for that 2 bucks

And how is he going to get the money?The doc is broke,doesn't even pay child support to his own kids...will his private insurance cover this?

In my opinion, Joe Jackson should wait until the criminal case is completed, before he takes any action. I mean, what's the rush, Murray ain't going nowhere.

Aside from the fact that everything that is revealed in the criminal case, can also be used for any lawsuits that are filed in the future. But I guess with an attorney like Oxman at the helm, this type of thing is expected.

I'm almost positive that any other attorney would advise Mr. Jackson to wait, until the criminal case is over.
True, he should be reasonable and wait.

always was about the $ for joe. d.a will stop this as it will interfer with the crim case. good to see what joes priorites are .

will his private insurance cover this?
maybe. depends on the policy. i doubt oxman told joe about that small issue

always was about the $ for joe. d.a will stop this as it will interfer with the crim case. good to see what joes priorites are .
I agree, the priority right now should be getting Murray OFF THE STREET!

Anything aside from that, can wait until later, in my opinion.

I think Joe wants justice not just $$$. But clearly the priorities don't seem to be set right when it comes to some.

Threads merged.

I appreciate what Joe's doing and I think he's right to, but yeah he should wait. I wish wish wish he would dump Oxman!

We really cant hate on Joe Jackson, he is MJ fathers ok he done wrong to them when they were younger but MJ forgave him and he was at his side during the last few years.. Please dont turn this into a slagging about MJ family

We really cant hate on Joe Jackson, he is MJ fathers ok he done wrong to them when they were younger but MJ forgave him and he was at his side during the last few years.. Please dont turn this into a slagging about MJ family

I second this.

The family has a right to file a civil wrongful death suit so we should not have any arguments regarding that topic. Joe could file.

The two things is that

1) the reasonable thing to do is to wait until the criminal trial over. Simply if for nothing else a guilty verdict in criminal trial means that the civil suit will only consist of determining damages. It will be quick, easy and cheap. If you open a civil suit before the criminal law suit you need to prove guilt in the civil case as well. That means longer, more costly and unnecessarily difficult lawsuit.

2) from the statement we can see that this is Joe only. Generally all the plaintiffs would file a joint case .

I understand what Joe is doing but shouldn't he wait until the trial is all over? And please dump that leacherous Oxman, no one will take you seriously with him by your side.

Anything involving Oxman is just a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. It would be better to wait, it would be better coming from Katherine, but especially it would be better not have Oxman on the case.

I support this?

But where exactly where a lawsuit get us to the truth?

I hope Joe doesn't stop in his search for the TRUTH and those other people involved behind Murray.

According to this article it says Joe has to tell his intention to file 90 days prior. So If Murray's trial is set for April, then Joe will file officially in three months, therefore after the trial.

When a malpractice suit is file against a doctor, doesn't the hospital who employs him has to pay for damages also?

Maybe AEG will have to pay if Joe wins, and he should.

It's not the trial that's set for April, it's a preliminary hearing to decide if there's going to be a trial at all. And the trial might not even happen this year. These things take long time, I wouldn't expect it to be over in three months.

In the state of California, the law relating to claims for the loss resulting from wrongful death is a creature of statute and it may often be found complicated or even unfounded. You need to understand your rights and those of others when someone you love dies due to others' actions.

If the death was caused by negligence or intentional misconduct of another person, it is considered wrongful death. This also includes malpractice by a doctor who fails to treat a curable condition in time, or performs a surgery carelessly that results in death. The deceased's loved ones often have a valid claim after car accidents, slips, trips and falls that lead to unexpected deaths. The same rights follow in the event that an intentional act, like assault and battery, directly results in death.

One of the most conflicting decisions to make in law regarding wrongful death is determining who is allowed, or has standing, to bring a lawsuit. The standing is the right to bring a wrongful death action and that depends on statutes that deal with the order in which the surviving people are entitled to the belongings of the dead. For instance, usually in a wrongful death action the ones with standing are the husband or wife and the kids. Typically, siblings, parents, and other family members of the victim lack standing to bring a suit, but there are complex rules with some exceptions to determine who is able to recover damages that can sometimes allow those people to have standing.

Such instances could be if there are no children or spouse, then the domestic partner may bring suit. In cases where the immediate family is not alive, then it would go to next surviving relative which would be the grandchildren if there were any.

It is correct even if the parents of the deceased are alive, unless either of them or both were supported by the dead. Complicating matters even further the surviving spouse of a void or voidable marriage who's found by the court to have believed in good faith the marriage to the decedent was valid may have a viable suit.

Damages can be addressed only after standing has been determined. Never forget that damages in these and other personal injury actions can be generally classified as economic or non-economic. Economic damages are intended to cover funeral expenses, burial expenses, and lost support. Damages not affecting economy include the loss of relationship between surviving loved ones and the deceased.

Detailed Economic Damages:

1. Financial support contributed by the decedent to the family during either the life expectancy before his/her death or the life expectancy of surviving loved one, whichever one is shorter;

2. The shortfall of gifts or other such benefits that are anticipated to be received by the loved person from the deceased;

3. Cost of funeral and burial;

4. An estimate of the household services that the decedent would have offered.

In the case of non-economic damages, law to the following limits the recovery:

1. Loss of the love, care, protection, or help from the deceased;

2. Loss of romantic/sexual contact and the enjoyment once allowed or

3. Loss of training and advice that the deceased would have given.

The rules do not permit: any sorrow, grief, or mental anguish of the loved one, the decedent's pain and suffering, poverty, or wealth of any surviving party.

Statues and case decisions do not permit the recovery of punitive damages in wrongful death actions. This is not the case if the defendant is convicted of a felony homicide connected with the death. (California Civil Code, § 3294(d).) The judge, but not the jury, usually allocates any money to the survivors because there are generally conflicts of interest between the remaining parties. The case Canavin v. Pacific Southwest Airlines (1983) 148 Cal.App.3d512) In the circumstance that more than one surviving loved ones pursue a claim by way of jury trial, the jury's award will represent a sum for all survivors, which will be subsequently distributed by the court. Usually an agreement between the families is the reason a wrongful death action is settled before trial. If minor children are involved, the court needs to approve the settlement and how much money the kids will get.

All information provided above is simply a review of the general laws of wrongful deaths in California. This should not be taken as legal advice for any case. The law is extremely complex; thus, a trial attorney with the right experience should be consulted when you have questions after such a tragic loss.

http://www.articlesbase.com/persona...n-california-a-basic-understandng-313368.html

thank you! very insightful info.

I thought the law in

So If Murray's trial is set for April, then Joe will file officially in three months, therefore after the trial.
its a hearing nothing more. any trial will be lucky to start this year

I thought the law in L.A. is such that any civil suit is put on hold till the criminal trial is over.
yeah there is a law i dont think it gets put on hold automatically. but the D,A can ask for it to be halted until any crim case is over with

civil lawsuits get money not justice

Why it is such a big surprise? Joe always was the one who wanted justice for Michael. Fans can hate Joe but it does not chane the fact that he is MJ father who lost his child.
Why after 9 months :doh: someone (Well, Joe....) is doing something. :smilerolleyes:

:timer:

I dont see how Joseph getting a monetary settlement in a wronful death suite is any kind of Justice for Michael or his children ... It is what is is _The rest of the family is not in part of this suite _JUST Joseph - he has been working a way to gain financially
from this since the day MJ died _ We all openly seen it over and over_ Thats Just Joseph _ Michael never understood him either - but he loved his dad _ He just didnt allow him to manipulate him _he kept his distance.

Did you read what Joe is suing for _ its not justice _ read it again.
I didnt see anything about Justice for Michael _ only $$$ for Joe
Sorry but thats what I see _ maybe im missing something ???

Please show or tell me how this is considered in any way Justice for Michael.

Back