Atheist thread

Do atheist believe in the human soul? What about emotions, joy, love, grief, sadness..what is the reason for emotion?

As an atheist I can say that I believe in all those emotions, those are produced by the brain.

this tragedy made me more reasons for not believing in god, if god would exist, why doesn't s/he/it take away all that evil people who had harmed to the world?

The majority of people that helped, changed the world in positive way, inspired millions and millions, that gave us hope died in horrible circunstances. They didn't deserve that ending! :(

I am agnostic. Just in case I see the pearly gates and think 'darn'..

Hahaha that made my day :lol: I doubt that you will see much of them in that case though! :p

As for me, I grew up in the religious South, but I turned away from church and the hypocracy that goes on there for personal reasons. It was just sickening to me. I still have my own personal beliefs though.

Im not a follower of any religion but i do believe in god or a higher being, however i don't think we'll ever know who or what god really is.

Hahaha that made my day :lol: I doubt that you will see much of them in that case though! :p

As for me, I grew up in the religious South, but I turned away from church and the hypocracy that goes on there for personal reasons. It was just sickening to me. I still have my own personal beliefs though.

i'm kinda like this. I don't particulary like my local church. It's all about making money, convincing us that they are the place to be etc.

I want to be a good person, the best i can be. Religion is all to often about money making. But when i'm around my husbands friends their faith is really pure and they rejoice in life and the good things. They have such strong faith and that is intoxicating to me. So do i believe...yes. But in my own way. I prefer to believe in private. To me it's personal.

I'm gonna chime in here and represent my solid belief in Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. And I do hope that the rumors about Andrae Crouch (from Man In The Mirror) meeting with MJ and Mike coming to know the Lord is true. I'm gonna have faith that that happened. God is good. Everything I've heard is that Mike truly came to know Jesus as his personal Lord and savior recently. And that would fall in line with my faith that God is omnipotent. He knows all and is everywhere at all times.

I think God knew MJ was a pure soul who was searching. And I think God knew Mike was searching for Him and they eventually found each other. Creator found Son in the name of Jesus Christ.

God bless Michael Jackson. There IS a here after. Please, yall...don't listen to the naysayers. I've heard TOO MANY stories from family members to think otherwise.

We WILL live on after we pass away. And we WILL meet up with our loved ones....and I think that will include Michael Jackson. From everything I've read over my lifetime, that WILL include Michael Jackson. God bless you all. And God bless the one and only son of God, Jesus Christ, for I truly believe we will meet up with the saint known as Michael Jackson.

But, the only catch is....if you don't believe...well....I'm not so sure. The Bible says you gotta believe. I'm just sayin'. Just in case....wouldn't you rather be wrong than not believe at all? I mean...****....if you're wrong....then....well....you know what I mean? Let's look at this rationally, yall. I'd rather take a chance in faith and believe.

Just like Michael said many times before. There IS a higher power. That's where his music came from.

Don't believe me? Just listen to some of Mike's interviews. Believe in God, yall.

He's real.

For real.

so true "God is good"

so good that even those who don't believe or aren't sure will be looked after

there are no rules....

i believe in God and all that is good that he does, and all that is not so good is for a reason. But just because you don't believe doesn't mean you are damned....my God wouldn't allow it.

But when i'm around my husbands friends their faith is really pure and they rejoice in life and the good things. They have such strong faith and that is intoxicating to me.

In puclic, sure. That's how they all want to appear. Things are not always what they seem and the grass is always greener on the other side. It's all about keeping up appearances. Trust me, I know these things. :)

it's true that everybody are free to believe what they want but what upsets me is theose people who believe in god tryes to change our minds and us atheist don't want to change those beliefs.
Instead of creating calm and peace it has caused lot of nonsense wars, deaths and segregation.

I think it's hard, at least where I am, to be an "out of the closet" atheist.

People hear the word atheist and they think of someone cold and full of themselves because they "know it all." I hate that view. I know I don't know everything but what I do know is based on factual scientific evidence. I know new discoveries are always being made and science is always changing, that doesn't mean "one piece of the puzzle doesn't fit yet so the whole thing is crap."

I can't stand it when people ridicule "Jesus freaks" and have their own equally ridiculous beliefs about goddesses and "energy" and karma. Why are your beliefs something that have to be respected and their beliefs are something to mock? In my opinion, ALL faith is intellectually crippling. I don't respect anyone more or less if they believe in Jesus or Buddha, they're still morals given to you by some mystical outside force, it's the same thing. You can't rationalize something when it doesn't even exist..."the bible just doesn't make sense" but "spirituality" is completely rational, neither can be proven, neither is a fact no matter how much "sense" it makes to you, it doesn't make it the truth.

What was I talking about again...? :lol:

Oh yeah, when people find out you're an atheist they somehow assume you don't find the world beautiful and break everything down into molecules and find live purposeless and insignificant. I think the earth is extremely beautiful and I love life. Why do I need a belief in something to appreciate how good roses smell or how soft a woman's skin is or how amazing it is that my lungs take in air and my heart beats?

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams

Do atheist believe in the human soul? What about emotions, joy, love, grief, sadness..what is the reason for emotion?
thee theory of the soul was created by relgions if u dont believe in god u can hardly believe in the soul as the soul refers to a belief an after life. emotions have nothing to do with believing in a god emotions are apart of the human condition as they are for many animals aswell.

religion is nothing more than man made to control the masses. the catholic church and they way they indoctrinated ppl is a good example of this. scaring kids to death by threatening them with hell fire as has been shown through the decades. religion and god is totally illogical. it amazes me how common sense goes out of the window because of the desire to latch onto something. no matter how stupid or ridiculous as story sounds. if u read it in the papers today u wouldnt believe it

95% of Mexican population are catholic,3% have another kind of religion and maybe 2% are athiest. Imagine how the people see me, they think I'm gonna go to hell, I'm cursed or a bad person.
Being athiest doesn't mean you don't have moral (Respect people or yourself because of their beliefs, race, gender, sexual preferences, social condition, etc).
Being athiest doesn't mean you couldn't feel love, sadness, hate, excitement, etc for living creatures, mankind.
It's just I DON'T BELIEVE there's something more powerful than us that created this universe.
I don't know everything either but science had achieved to explain lot of facts.

But the question that has never been answered is WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE EXIST? WHY DO WE EXIST? WHAT IS IT ALL FOR?
why do u need an answer. why does anything excist? because it formed and grew. im not sure why ppl need a meaning to everything. u excist cause your parents concieved you .its the natural animal breading chain

95% of Mexican population are catholic,3% have another kind of religion and maybe 2% are athiest. Imagine how the people see me, they think I'm gonna go to hell, I'm cursed or a bad person.
Being athiest doesn't mean you don't have moral (Respect people or yourself because of their beliefs, race, gender, sexual preferences, social condition, etc).
Being athiest doesn't mean you couldn't feel love, sadness, hate, excitement, etc for living creatures, mankind.
It's just I DON'T BELIEVE there's something more powerful than us that created this universe.
I don't know everything either but science had achieved to explain lot of facts.

imo if u are an athiest and a good moral person that makes u better than religious person who is. cause why are they good? cause they got told if they aint they are going to hell. i have no reason to be nice if i dont want to be. they are to worried about what will happen to them if they arent which makes it fake kindness

hmmm, interesting thread. I'm a Christian though, so I guess I haven't got anything to add to this discussion :no:

I live in Norway, an atheist country. We have the lowest murder rate and highest living standards on Earth (Read from UN). We have proven that letting go of old mid evil myths and primitive life views leads to prosperity and happiness. There are some christians left, but they hold no influence in office, they pass no laws. Children are not taught about God in school by law. In my country, the days of religion is over. In a few generations, ALL Norwegians will be atheists. The rest of the world will follow one day, but I fear it will take a massive disaster of global magnitude to wake people up to realize that this fantasy of ours is nothing more then a feel good drug that we have grown dependent on.

"We have the lowest murder rate and highest living standards on Earth (Read from UN)."

You're saying that's thx to atheism?

"We have proven that letting go of old mid evil myths and primitive life views leads to prosperity and happiness"

How exactly have you proven this?

"the days of religion is over"
Yes I live in Sweden and sadly that's the case here too, Sweden is one of the most secularized countries in the world. Christian people get ridiculed and hated and they certainly have no big influence. But Sweden has very high levels of assaults, hate crimes, rapes, don't know about murder rates, don't know if it's because of religion or atheism.

"The rest of the world will follow one day"

Sorry dude but that's just not gonna happen. But good luck in trying to convince people.

My main problem with science is that a lot of the facts and theories sit on shaky, illogical ground that contradicts itself. Sort of like building a massive, sturdy castle on top of a pile of wet sand.

The iPod is proof there is a god, and the DMV is proof of a hell.

Sorry if its not very convincing but its the best I got :D

My main problem with science is that a lot of the facts and theories sit on shaky, illogical ground that contradicts itself. Sort of like building a massive, sturdy castle on top of a pile of wet sand.

The iPod is proof there is a god, and the DMV is proof of a hell.

Sorry if its not very convincing but its the best I got :D

Faith has no ground, shaky or not. Science is sometimes contradictory because that's how it works. It takes years and years before most new ideas and discoveries can be proven definitely, it takes a nothing for someone to say "some guy in the sky created everything, the end." Scientists disagreeing doesn't make science illogical, it makes science work. In fact, the more people that disagree, the better; taking in all different sides from all different minds helps arrive at the most solid possible answer.

The ipod is proof of how amazing the human mind is and the DMV...well, you're right, the DMV is hell on earth. :bugeyed

I'm atheist as well. But I do respect everyone who has a different point of view. :)

imo if u are an athiest and a good moral person that makes u better than religious person who is. cause why are they good? cause they got told if they aint they are going to hell. i have no reason to be nice if i dont want to be. they are to worried about what will happen to them if they arent which makes it fake kindness

I'd never say I'm a better person because I have moral, feelings, etc however I hate hypocritic people that critizise society in general because of their "lack of moral" when they had abused, killed, torturated "in the name of god."I'm not saying all the religious people are bad or hypocritic, must of my mexican friends are catholic and I have a relationship of mutual respect.

"We have the lowest murder rate and highest living standards on Earth (Read from UN)."

You're saying that's thx to atheism?

"We have proven that letting go of old mid evil myths and primitive life views leads to prosperity and happiness"

How exactly have you proven this?

"the days of religion is over"
Yes I live in Sweden and sadly that's the case here too, Sweden is one of the most secularized countries in the world. Christian people get ridiculed and hated and they certainly have no big influence. But Sweden has very high levels of assaults, hate crimes, rapes, don't know about murder rates, don't know if it's because of religion or atheism.

"The rest of the world will follow one day"

Sorry dude but that's just not gonna happen. But good luck in trying to convince people.

Well first to get you going, here is one little fact you can look up. In the US, most of the people in prison are religious. only a few per cent are atheists. Why is that?

In Norway, the rate of murder and criminality has gone down as the number of atheists have gone up. And it is not just us. Every country in the world where atheism dominate, these statistics are the same, and they're history are the same. Thats the general argument of why atheism leads to prosperity.

The second argument is the psychology that explains why atheists are more likely to behave then religious people. It also has to do with how atheists have a more structured understanding of how society works. Not saying all believers are stupid, but in general atheists as statistics show tend to be more educated and therefore more able to function in society. Not counting all, but the majority.

But this is complicated and very long to explain, so I would suggest if you want to know, read about it yourself.

But the statistics don't lie.

I know that having an entire world follow this wise course of action is going to be difficult, you don't have to pretend I live in a fantasy world thinking shit up. I view the bigger picture when I say that the rest of the world will follow. To explain that, read Darwins book called "Origin Of Species" and look up natural selection and what that means.

When you have done that, you will understand this frace. "Natural selection is the driving force of evolution, and the religious are at the bottom of the human evolution". It's harsh but the science is valid. Natural Selection will alone make sure, unless we don't kill ourselves before then, that humanity no longer has religion in it. It is inevitable.

It has already started. The number of atheists grow each day. Religion looses its hold more and more. Just look at what creationists are doing now. Using foul play tactics to win their case, because everywhere they go, Intelligent Design gets booted out. They try to hijack schools and influence kids, and the more they do, the more society fights back.

The only reason why religion has not yet been totally banned in some countries are because of the reaction it would lead to now in 2009. But if they look 100 years into the future, they see laws like this existing. But only in a public view. One would still be able to believe whatever you wish, but you would not be able to create a religion out of it.

That is what I want. If we get rid of religion, faith and the belief in God will be extinct in a few generations.

The only reason why religion has not yet been totally banned in some countries are because of the reaction it would lead to now in 2009. But if they look 100 years into the future, they see laws like this existing. But only in a public view. One would still be able to believe whatever you wish, but you would not be able to create a religion out of it.

That is what I want. If we get rid of religion, faith and the belief in God will be extinct in a few generations.

Religion won't be banned because people are entitled to worship as they please. This is a basic freedom that I doubt will be taken away any time soon, regardless of the country in question. Does a person saying grace before a meal at a restaurant offend you? Look the other way and try not to pay attention.

No we don't believe in souls. The reason for emotion? Natural Selection favored emotions in self aware species over not having emotions because it increased your chances of passing your genes on to the next generation.

think about it, fear of death? Love for your offspring? Don't those emotions help your genes pass onto the next generation?

what needs to go extinct is the belief that is okay to ban a culture or a way of life. We need to be more accepting and tolerant. The reason religion is so dominant in the world is because it makes threats of punishment for anything different such as hanging, stoning, hell etc. Talking about banning religion and threating people with criminal charges is nothing but more of the same.

We don't need to use laws to control this kind of stuff. Just use facts and evidence and set an example for acceptance and tolerance.

I'm a christian and i've prayed for a few things both of which came true , which i was certain they wouldn't

Anyway i just look at the world and humans and thats proof of god for me

When I look at the world and humans it prooves to me there is no god! :ph34r:

I probably wouldn't call myself an atheist. Personally, I don't believe in God, but then again, i don't deny that there ain't one. There just haven't been anything to prove me. There's probably not a real term for that, I would just call myself a non-believer.

Still, I respect everyone no matter what they believe in. And I think it's great if someone finds something that helps them to get over hard times. Because in times like this, I kinda wish there was something good for me to belive in too.

Back