Bad 20th thread I discovered(Includ.Info on Duets that never happend and 'Dirty Diana' is revealed)

Thanks for the link!

It was the British press that started with that whole J**** thing, yes, clear back in the 80's. Kind of a British thing. Unfortunately, the worldwide and even American press have latched onto that over the years too. Ugh. Besides it taking up less space in headlines, I think they do it more and more because they know he hates it and his fans hate it :(

This thread made me look into my old Bad era scrapbooks just now. In the US they'd taken to calling him The Masked One (surgical masks), while the old 'Gloved One' moniker I still saw several times as well. I also noticed something else... how disgustingly fickle the press is (haha, like I didn't already know) and how a fan should never believe an album's coming out until the first single is officially released, lolol. I've got stuff from late 1985 talking about how MJ has been missing for sooooo long and 'can he make a comeback?!' Huh? A comeback??? From what/where?! Good grief! In 1984 he swept the awards shows, got into the Guiness World Records, did the Victory Tour, then in 1985 there was We Are The World. So he wasn't everywhere 24/7 for... wait... like 10 months and already by 1986 he needed to come back? Oh, and Bad was supposedly coming out "in the spring" (as in spring 1986). Then it was "summer". Then it was "this fall". Then it was "early 1987". LOL. Yep, it's always been like that ;)

Τhank you very much, way cool retrospective on a masterpiece ! All those years I thought Tatiana was at the Dirty Diana vid !

Thanx for posting MichaelsNeverlandPrincess:)
mj_brainiac said:
That's my thread! :lol:

It was a follow up to my Thriller 25 essay thread that I posted on KOPD, MJNO, prince.org, and The Michael Jackson Vault
Oh props to you!!! I'm learning many things I never knew before.

Good to read all the great replies and I dont want to put a downer on things but technically the above is not true.

Michael has said before he hated the Bad photo shoot and wasnt pleased with the cover at all because of the way he got treated.
They made him wear contacts and stuff and he just hated it.
Why the hell they made him wear contacts?:bugeyed

the-michael-jackson-archives.com has all these articles..but ive never had enough time to read them..i was surprised how much negative press michael was getting back in the 80s..i thought it all started in the 90s but he was called WJ long before..that made me really sad..

its always more interesting to read scandales instead of successes of a star..
but very interesting info, thanks a lot :)

Can someone copy and past the Dirty Diana text here? I can't seem to find it..

nvm found it xD. So the model wasnt Tatiana?! Nooo way --

When you compare the Thriller album cover to the Bad album cover, Michael looks completely different. I think he actually looks like he is white on the Bad cover. If people never thought he was weird before Bad, I think that album cover changed a lot of people's minds.

yes the WJ thing started around the Bad era when his skin was getting lighter and he was becoming more and more of a recluse and of course his success was phenomenal that's the the dark side of success people will envy you

I knew he been called that in the early 90's but not the 80s. It'z a shame.:no:

BAD PART SIX- DIRTY DIANA

DIRTY DIANA
_5.jpg

written by Michael Jackson

somewhat the hard rock version of 1982's "Billie Jean", it was cited as Michael's favorite song on the album.

Guitarist Steve Stevens, Billy Idol's lead guitarist, made a special appearance on the song and in the 1988 video

The fifth single and fifth to hit #1 on the Hot 100, giving the album a record 5 #1 singles, a record
that has yet to be broken.
also charted at #5 on the R&B charts and #4 in the UK.
001.jpg

It was Michael's first live video. Filmed in Long Beach California by Joe Pytka and premiered on April 14, 1988, while
Michael was performing in Atlanta Georgia at the Omni during the USA leg of the Bad Tour.

Various performances of the song were aired on TV from the tour in Kansas City, New York City, and Rome.
mj00127re.jpg

Quincy Jones likened the song to an uptempo version of Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly and liked how
the theatrics in the song.
In 2003, Jones also said it was "one of those songs you just can't mess up because you can feel
it's coming from a deep place in his life."

Ben Liebrand's remix of the song includes samples of the 1981 live version of Rock With You, Beat It
and State of Shock.
img86.jpg

229.jpg

Hot 100-#1
R&B-#5
Single Sales-#3
Single Airplay-#1
Canada-#15
UK-#4
Australia-#27
Austria-#7
Belgium-#1
Denmark-#2
Finland-#16
France-#7
Germany-#3
Holland-#2
Ireland-#3
Italy-18
Japan-?
New Zealand-#5
South Africa-?
Spain-#16/#1 in 2006
Switzerland-#5

whats the betting that B.S article from march about no fans outside his hotel is from the mail. talk about blatent mixing of the facts to suit thier own agenda
and what do those articles have to do with this thread anyway

whats the betting that B.S article from march about no fans outside his hotel is from the mail. talk about blatent mixing of the facts to suit thier own agenda
and what do those articles have to do with this thread anyway

Funny they should say that...WE WERE ALL AT THE O2!!!

Great thread, thanks for all the info on Bad. I was just 8 at the time and Bad just seemed to land and be there in it's greatness! Looking at all of these bits, it's like another world to me, I had no interest in the press then, all I wanted to see was MJ on the TV. I had no clue about singles, duets, release dates or anything. WOW

WOw at the people who didnt know MJ was being called that name in the 80's. When yall thought they started calling him that?

well, I'm a youngin', so I thought they started callin him that in like the mid 90s, and it wasn't til I came to fanboards that i even knew they called him that(i was never big on entertainment news)...but y'know in retropespect it makes some of the things Mike has said over the years even more real and reveals how much its affected him: "the bigger the start the bigger the target", etc. that's exactly what's happened too, the minute he got bigger than history itself they tried to make him fall.

Props to Mike fo' real for everything he's done in music and otherwise...time and time again he just rises above it all...

Back