Bad Tour to get cinema screen in London!

The negativity is annoying, this is good news, something positive for a change and look what happens ...people sure know it's the bad 25 dvd quality, plus those discussing about it won't even attend so I do't see the point of telling us all what we know already, yep it's not fitting for cinema screens but whoever feels like it WILL attend despite that. Most likely fans who are aware of what they'll see. I'd attend just for the sake of supporting the positivity of such an event, seriously :sigh:

exactly. in the vhs you only see outlines from everything but close ups, its honestly a shame!

Photo from a 35mm still film camera, scanned at 1k resolution:

bw2n.jpg

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'd pay at least 200$ just to see a concert with quality this close, seriously

Considering that the Wembley dvd is an official release: yes, its quality is really THAT bad.

You do realise the Wembley quality isn't actually THAT bad, right? Watching Michael Jackson is satisfying in any quality, especially Wembley quality because he was a rare talent, and in years to come, people will look back at DVD's like this and it will be used to show historic moments. Also, This is It was shot in SD in certain parts, and here is a HIStory concert shown at a cinema, and it doesn't look that bad to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-THIKC1N0

It is pretty horrible.
We're all just making the best out of a bad situation by having watched/downloaded/bought it.

Oh yeah of course it is sharp. But that is a picture.

yes, its a picture, but the camera used is a 35mm ''still'' meaning one 35mm photography camera, and it was scanned at 1k, a 4k scan of the original master would look similar, but it can be projected and zoomed 4 times larger without losing any detail. a 35mm motion film camera has equal detail and resolution as a ''still camera''

Last edited:
Considering that the Wembley dvd is an official release: yes, its quality is really THAT bad.

Haha wow, protest the Estate right? It's not awful but it certainly is watchable. Wembley in this quality or HQ Yokohama? Wembley every day of the week.

Haha wow, protest the Estate right? It's not awful but it certainly is watchable. Wembley in this quality or HQ Yokohama? Wembley every day of the week.

Depends on which screen you're watching it. I have a 55 inch HD tv and it looks horrible.

Sometimes MJ's leg is slimmed down due to noise reduction to the max. Just saying.

I can imagine that it looks great on a CRT tv or a 35 inch HD tv.

Depends on which screen you're watching it. I have a 55 inch HD tv and it looks horrible.

Sometimes MJ's leg is slimmed down due to noise reduction to the max. Just saying.

I can imagine that it looks great on a CRT tv or a 35 inch HD tv.

There is problems with that DVD of course but when you take into consideration it's a 25 year old VHS it doesn't look that bad. Could look better of course.

There is problems with that DVD of course but when you take into consideration it's a 25 year old VHS it doesn't look that bad. Could look better of course.

It was "restored" like crap.

We have no idea what the original looked like. From the little snippets we have of Bad, it looks like they did a good job but the colours are off in certain sections for sure.

I guess I have. Silly me for wanting new Michael Jackson footage.

Well, I'm not trying to offend you, but I really think it's silly to suggest the Estate that they should keep on releasing bad quality products, as we will be happy with everything they deliver, no matter what. Of course, we all want to get as much footage as possible, but not at any price. In my opinion, the Wembley DVD is no less than a catastrophe and it should have been never released that way. Even the Yokohama bootleg is way more enjoyable and has a better quality. We are speaking about an official release. We were waiting for decades to get an official release of a Bad Tour concert and all we get is a DVD which looks like one of the amateur videos you can find in YouTube (or even worse than some of them). I think that releasing a concert to the general public in such a bad quality causes more harm than good. They should have released the best possible quality. Assuming Yokohama was the only concert available in good quality (what I don't necessarily believe), they could have released Yokohama in Blu-Ray quality to the general public and (as a bonus to the fans in a collector's edition) attach the Wembley dvd to it.

Well, I'm not trying to offend you, but I really think it's silly to suggest the Estate that they should keep on releasing bad quality products, as we will be happy with everything they deliver, no matter what. Of course, we all want to get as much footage as possible, but not at any price. In my opinion, the Wembley DVD is no less than a catastrophe and it should have been never released that way. Even the Yokohama bootleg is way more enjoyable and has a better quality. We are speaking about an official release. We were waiting for decades to get an official release of a Bad Tour concert and all we get is a DVD which looks like one of the amateur videos you can find in YouTube (or even worse than some of them). I think that releasing a concert to the general public in such a bad quality causes more harm than good. They should have released the best possible quality. Assuming Yokohama was the only concert available in good quality (what I don't necessarily believe), they could have released Yokohama in Blu-Ray quality to the general public and (as a bonus to the fans in a collector's edition) attach the Wembley dvd to it.

Most of what you said was massively over exaggerated. I certainly don't support everything they release, the documentary being one. Didn't buy it and won't buy it. They must have plans for the future because one concert doesn't make an awful lot of sense. It would have been cool to release Yokohama on it's own and put Wembley in the collector's box.

I don't know what copy Yokohama you have, but mine looks GREAT. SO much more better quality than Wembley.

I'll take the average quality Wembley over the HQ quality Yokohama any day. Wembley as the better performance and the better setlist and yes the quality of Wembley could have been better but i was just happy to finally see a full Bad Tour show from 1988.

Hopefully someday The Estate will be able to release a 1988 or 1989 show in better quality but the Wembley DVD is tiding me over quite nicely for now

Well, I think we were just talking about video quality.
Of course a 2nd leg is more desirable.

I'll take the average quality Wembley over the HQ quality Yokohama any day. Wembley as the better performance and the better setlist and yes the quality of Wembley could have been better but i was just happy to finally see a full Bad Tour show from 1988.

Hopefully someday The Estate will be able to release a 1988 or 1989 show in better quality but the Wembley DVD is tiding me over quite nicely for now

This is what I meant. thanks, Yokohama wouldn't have been appealing as much as Wembley.

I don't know what copy Yokohama you have, but mine looks GREAT. SO much more better quality than Wembley.

I didn't say that. I said, would it be better if they release Wembley or Yoko, it's clearly Wembley because Yoko is already available in decent quality.

Why do they show this? It looks like crap on big screen. It's not even great on small screen let alone a cinema *facepalm*
And I would bet they cropped it to 16:9 too. Way to go.

Where did you get this from??????? Is this a capture from an actual film source?

Common picture.

How much better did you expect a VHS from a quarter of a century ago to look ? I agree the colour could've been better in some places, yes, but for a 25 year old video it doesn't honestly doesn't look that bad.

How much better did you expect a VHS from a quarter of a century ago to look ? I agree the colour could've been better in some places, yes, but for a 25 year old video it doesn't honestly doesn't look that bad.

Even my recordings from to on VHS back in the day are very well watchable. Very good picture compared to the released Wembley VHS. It looks like shit.

I guess I'll be enjoying this on my own then! FWIW this is a small company putting on a small event. They're hardly going to obtain some original film reels (which may or may not exist), remaster them, deal with the legals, costs etc and choose the o2 in Islington to broadcast their loss-making venture.

I think the point of the event has got lost somewhere in this thread (probably about the second post - I would check but it's just too disheartening reading most of this thread again).

It's supposed to be fun but if you can't bear to watch then I doubt you'll be missed.

I'll be having a beer and having fun..... Bye.

Of course, we don't expect a VHS tape to look great. But that's not the point. Much more interesting is the question: why on earth had they to release a dvd out of a crappy VHS tape??? I don't care how many excuses they gave ("Michael's personal copy"). IMO That's just unacceptable!

Back