Best of Joy

The only difference between the 1982 version and the 2008 version is the opening lyric.

1982: "I am your toy, I am your boy/I am the moonlight, you are the spring..."
2008: "I am your joy, your best of joy/I am the moonlight, you are the spring..."

I believe the lyrics changed from "The Toy" to "Best of Joy" circa 1990, when MJ reworked it with Brad Buxer.

Thanks for the info dude.
Do you think Mike recorded vocals around that time?
The reason I ask is as much as I love the song, I've always thought the vocals on the released version sounded post Bad pre Dangerous

It's the lyrical content of the lost third verse that the Estate balked at? A la "because she's only fifteen" in HT?

As far as I know that's the only difference and everything else is exactly the same!

Thanks for the info dude.
Do you think Mike recorded vocals around that time?
The reason I ask is as much as I love the song, I've always thought the vocals on the released version sounded post Bad pre Dangerous

I've always thought the same thing.

Michael Prince spoke of a version of "Best of Joy" done with Brad Buxer in the early '90s, so I'd wager that a new vocal was recorded around that time.

Was the Song and the earlier The Toy entirely written by MJ?

Yep, and if i remember well, for the Michael Album Neff-U have cutted the 3rd verse.

"You are the sun that lights summer sky,
When things are shaded
Let go and then we do get back"

Sounds too "digital"

That's actually the bridge, just with incorrect lyrics. The real lyrics are:

"You are the sun that lights up the sky
When things are shady
Let come what may, we do get by"

The third verse is a carbon copy of the first with several new lines.

That's actually the bridge, just with incorrect lyrics. The real lyrics are:

"You are the sun that lights up the sky
When things are shady
Let come what may, we do get by"

The third verse is a carbon copy of the first with several new lines.

There's lyrics sites,all with different lines..lol but the above fits in better with what I've heard.
I have to look them up,because my memory of lyrics is not great at all ..

I'm still waiting for the 1982 and 2008 Version of this masterpiece.

the demo could have a fairly different sound considering the song was recorded in a bathroom.. I assume they felt the room was good enough to pick up the vocals right but unless they turned the bathroom into a studio, the unfiltered version may have a slightly different effect when it comes to the overall sound.

the demo could have a fairly different sound considering the song was recorded in a bathroom.. I assume they felt the room was good enough to pick up the vocals right but unless they turned the bathroom into a studio, the unfiltered version may have a slightly different effect when it comes to the overall sound.

It is the first ever recorded song which uses flush sounds and farts as part of the beat. Michael was truly unique

It is the first ever recorded song which uses flush sounds and farts as part of the beat. Michael was truly unique

He had experience from when he was recording Monster in the bathroom, and Eddie was there pushing the buttons.

The Toy was a 1982 Richard Pryor movie that I think was a flop.

Why record in a bathroom though. Imagine needing to use it when there ‘s a couple of guys there with recording equipment 🤔

Funny how in 1982, MJ records songs for two movies, ET and The Toy.

ET becomes a mega-smash and Somewhere in the Dark gets released. The Toy is a flop and that song never got released.

Why record in a bathroom though. Imagine needing to use it when there ‘s a couple of guys there with recording equipment 🤔
Matt Forger once said that Michael loved the natural and unprocessed sound of a bathroom’s reverb, so they would often set up a makeshift studio in the shower and record demo vocals in there. It sounds like a mixing nightmare, but Michael was a visionary in that sense lmfao.

Matt Forger once said that Michael loved the natural and unprocessed sound of a bathroom’s reverb, so they would often set up a makeshift studio in the shower and record demo vocals in there. It sounds like a mixing nightmare, but Michael was a visionary in that sense lmfao.
Yes a bathroom’s reverb is legendary!

Back