Blood on the Dance Floor did not belong on Dangerous.

From sound and production point of view, it did fit Dangerous, but from a lyrical pov, it didn't.

Even though I like the song, I am glad it was left of Dangerous.

I am glad it was left of of Dangerous too but not that they released it years later while still sounding 'Dangerous' (same samples as RTT etc.) I mean at the time it was very welcoming to hear a proper MJ dance tune again, after History, but it sounded outdated. The video was also as bit cheap.. Too bad because it's a killer song in itself

The video was also as bit cheap..
Michael Jackson is to blame for that.

The original version of that music video included many other things (such as, more dance choreography), but the singer failed to come to the rehearsals.

He basically came for a day and a half of rehearsals, as revealed by the director of that music video:

"I was a little disappointed with what happened with 'Blood On The Dance Floor' because I created a lot of choreography for him there and he kept cancelling, cancelling, cancelling rehearsals and [he] only got to show up, I think basically, for a day and a half of rehearsals. So much of what I had planned I had to cut out, and I let him improvise in a lot of places because he wasn't around to learn choreography" (Vincent Paterson)

This caused many problems to its making and that is why it looks a bit cheap, although there are fans who actually like it because of Michael Jackson's dance improvisations and spontaneity.

Michael Jackson is to blame for that.

The original version of that music video included many other things (such as, more dance choreography), but the singer failed to come to the rehearsals.

He basically came for a day and a half of rehearsals, as revealed by the director of that music video:

"I was a little disappointed with what happened with 'Blood On The Dance Floor' because I created a lot of choreography for him there and he kept cancelling, cancelling, cancelling rehearsals and [he] only got to show up, I think basically, for a day and a half of rehearsals. So much of what I had planned I had to cut out, and I let him improvise in a lot of places because he wasn't around to learn choreography" (Vincent Paterson)

This caused many problems to its making and that is why it looks a bit cheap, although there are fans who actually like it because of Michael Jackson's dance improvisations and spontaneity.
do we know what Michael was doing at the time to cause him to either miss rehearsals or to not show interest in it?

Always thought the BOTDF video was awesome.
It really is.

First time I've seen anyone call it cheap lol. Also it came together quite well if MJ barely rehearsed.
Maybe it was even a blessing. I can understand Vincent being frustrated but maybe it didn't need a 'big production' approach. The improv from Michael is something I treasure.

do we know what Michael was doing at the time to cause him to either miss rehearsals or to not show interest in it?
It was when Debbie Rowe gave birth to his first child (on February 13th, 1997).

During those days, Michael Jackson also had to prepare and rehearse his 'Elizabeth, I Love You' performance, which took place on February 16th (1997) at a gala for the celebration of Elizabeth Taylor's 65th birthday in Los Angeles.

Bruh his first son Prince was born simultaneously at the time, I think that's perfect justification to not 100% be there at rehearsals.

Yeah BOTDF has aged better for me, at the time it sounded outdated as the new era of Pharrell, Daft Punk was coming in; but knowing the music landscape since, BOTDF is a masterpiece.

Meanwhile, if Just Good Friends was coming out the vault now we'd be estatic and begging for it's release. It's just funny that way.

I'm just imagining an alternative universe where Chicago 1945 is on Bad and Just Good Friends is the "recent" leak everybody is praising.
(Well, even though I do like Just Good Friends this just seems too weird to work...)

Last edited:
It was when Debbie Rowe gave birth to his first child (on February 13th, 1997).

During those days, Michael Jackson also had to prepare and rehearse his 'Elizabeth, I Love You' performance, which took place on February 16th (1997) at a gala for the celebration of Elizabeth Taylor's 65th birthday in Los Angeles.
The same guy who knows the legitimate reasons the man couldn't appear for rehearsals is the same one saying "MJ made the video look cheap", that's insane,

I wonder what Michael would have done with OMC video.

I agree but here's something I think more people will disagree on

Streetwalker did not belong on Bad.
The 1988 version of the song did not, however the 1987 final version Quincy made sounds like it does honestly, and all we have of it is a earrape-inducing recording of it

Bad needed a song that was synthy that sounds "mysterious" or "groovy" but not energetic like APOM. The 1988 version of Streetwalker sounds way too much like TWYMMF, but the 1987 doesn't from the recording. It would probably fit if the tracklist looked like this:

1: Bad
2: The Way You Make Me Feel
3: Speed Demon
4: Liberian Girl
5: Another Part of Me
6: Man In The Mirror
7: Streetwalker
8: I Just Can't Stop Loving You
9: Dirty Diana
10: Smooth Criminal
11: Leave Me Alone

Streetwalker being squeezed between two "slower" songs works because Streetwalker '87 isn't as loud as TWYMMF or Dirty Diana, but it has the same energy as the former, thus keeps the flow going quite nicely and ties in quite nice to IJCSLY and DD.

The 1988 version of the song did not, however the 1987 final version Quincy made sounds like it does honestly, and all we have of it is a earrape-inducing recording of it

Bad needed a song that was synthy that sounds "mysterious" or "groovy" but not energetic like APOM. The 1988 version of Streetwalker sounds way too much like TWYMMF, but the 1987 doesn't from the recording. It would probably fit if the tracklist looked like this:

1: Bad
2: The Way You Make Me Feel
3: Speed Demon
4: Liberian Girl
5: Another Part of Me
6: Man In The Mirror
7: Streetwalker
8: I Just Can't Stop Loving You
9: Dirty Diana
10: Smooth Criminal
11: Leave Me Alone

Streetwalker being squeezed between two "slower" songs works because Streetwalker '87 isn't as loud as TWYMMF or Dirty Diana, but it has the same energy as the former, thus keeps the flow going quite nicely and ties in quite nice to IJCSLY and DD.

The original working track list was

1. Bad
2. The Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Just Good Friends
6. Man in the Mirror
7. Streetwalker
8. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
9. Smooth Criminal
10. Dirty Diana

I'm just imagining an alternative universe where Chicago 1945 is on Bad and Just Good Friends is the "recent" leak everybody is praising.
(Well, even though I do like Just Good Friends this just seems too weird to work...)
Ive always thought this and still do: The Bad demos sound like they belong on an album to themselves, they all give a vibe that feels different to what MJ was going for in Bad, like lemme make a tracklist and you tell me if it sounds right

Tomboy
1. Don't Be Messin 'Round (Finished)
2. I'm So Blue
3. Tomboy
4. Song Groove
5. Throwin' Your Life Away (Finalized)
6. Free
7. Price of Fame (Finalized)
8. Al Capone
9. Chicago Nights
10. Fly Away

The original working track list was

1. Bad
2. The Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Just Good Friends
6. Man in the Mirror
7. Streetwalker
8. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
9. Smooth Criminal
10. Dirty Diana
I stg I did not even know that lmao im stupid i swear its a coincidence lol
And Leave Me Alone wasn't even on the working list? damn

I stg I did not even know that lmao im stupid i swear its a coincidence lol
And Leave Me Alone wasn't even on the working list? damn
The original test pressing. We asked Brad Sundberg about it a few years ago

"To clarify, it is possible that Epic was doing test artwork for Michael to see, but to the best of my memory there was never a finished pressing with this sequence. Could be legit in terms of a visual test piece. I'm sure there were many sample covers as the artwork was refined for this and many of the projects, based on the song titles available at that point in the project." - Brad

We figured this was only done because these were the final songs Michael was working on for the album and Brad said they were making pressings based on the song titles......so this is way before APOM and SW battled.

2a2tFhz.jpg

Back