Chicago vs Hollywood

Hollywood Tonight without a doubt. Chicago is a very average song imo. The songwriting is just bland and I even find MJ's vocals on the chorus sound a bit forced/overdramatic (which is something I rarely have with MJ). The production ideas are interesting but overall it just sounds like a generic late 90s/early 2000s R&B track, comparable to some songs on Invincible that are okay but just don't really do it for me. Hollywood is great on the other hand imo. It's got a great groove and that 'dance track with a serious, dark vibe' aspect that's vintage MJ. I think all the percussive elements on it are great too.

I think Hollywood could have been a big song for MJ if he had been able to finish it. Chicago, imo, not so much.

Your hate towards Timbaland is completely misguided and unnecessary. Also you are being very insulting towards the man without any valid reason except your own frustration.

Also where is your evidence that Timbaland changed the name of the song?? Please show it to me, give me the link for that. I don't see how can a producer change the name of a song he didn't write. If anyone changed the song's name it is LA Reid, not Timbaland. LA was in charge of everything, not Timbaland.

Did I say Timberland changed it?

Anyway, regardless of who did the changing, the song is still called She Was Loving Me. Chicago makes absolutely no sense as the title anyway. Its just stupidity on some morons part. We all know it went. Guy finds unlabeled recording, listens. Hears word Chicago and has vague recollection of song by that name (forgets 1945 part) and then instead of doing any research at all, writes CHICAGO in marker on the label and goes on searching through em. Pathetic and insulting.

Did I say Timberland changed it?

Anyway, regardless of who did the changing, the song is still called She Was Loving Me. Chicago makes absolutely no sense as the title anyway. Its just stupidity on some morons part. We all know it went. Guy finds unlabeled recording, listens. Hears word Chicago and has vague recollection of song by that name (forgets 1945 part) and then instead of doing any research at all, writes CHICAGO in marker on the label and goes on searching through em. Pathetic and insulting.

You are pathetic and insulting. Do you really think they are that stupid? Maybe even if MJ didn't label the song (which I'm sure he did), Cory Rooney co-writer of the song was there - they could have asked him if they didn't know.

They changed the name simply because "Chicago" sounded much better to them for a song title than "She Was Loving Me". People do that. It has nothing to do with Chicago 1945.

One guy, his name is Michael Jackson re-named song "What About Us?" into "Earth Song". That "makes absolutely no sense as the title anyway. Its just stupidity on some morons part." Maybe MJ forgot what was the original title of the song because he didn't write it down when he recorded it. (sarcasm)

Or MJ re-naming "I've Never Heard" into "This Is It" and registrating it with that name without even telling that to song's co-writer Paul Anka. Because it just sounds better.

Also: Pyramid Girl - Liberian Girl, It Doesn't Really Matter - Who Is It, Hot Fever - The Way You Make Me Feel...

And what about when fans do it? Do You Know Where Your Children Are became "12 O'clock" among many fans even though MJ never even considered that title. Are they also "pathetic and insulting"?

So whether is "She Was Loving Me" or "Chicago", it really doesn't matter. Just relax and enjoy the music.

You are pathetic and insulting. Do you really think they are that stupid? Maybe even if MJ didn't label the song (which I'm sure he did), Cory Rooney co-writer of the song was there - they could have asked him if they didn't know.

They changed the name simply because "Chicago" sounded much better to them for a song title than "She Was Loving Me". People do that. It has nothing to do with Chicago 1945.

One guy, his name is Michael Jackson re-named song "What About Us?" into "Earth Song". That "makes absolutely no sense as the title anyway. Its just stupidity on some morons part." Maybe MJ forgot what was the original title of the song because he didn't write it down when he recorded it. (sarcasm)

Or MJ re-naming "I've Never Heard" into "This Is It" and registrating it with that name without even telling that to song's co-writer Paul Anka. Because it just sounds better.

Also: Pyramid Girl - Liberian Girl, It Doesn't Really Matter - Who Is It, Hot Fever - The Way You Make Me Feel...

And what about when fans do it? Do You Know Where Your Children Are became "12 O'clock" among many fans even though MJ never even considered that title. Are they also "pathetic and insulting"?

So whether is "She Was Loving Me" or "Chicago", it really doesn't matter. Just relax and enjoy the music.

Lol, I love how people here so blindly defend everything. Michael had the right to change the song titles as he pleased, especially when working on them, THEY ARE HIS SONGS! Corey Rooney was not involved with Xscape, so would probably have been unaware it was his song that had been changed until he heard it. They had no right to change the song title and should have left alone, especially for the original version. I also thought it was ****ing stupid when they renamed I Never Heard too, just to cash in on the concert title and Michael death. That is pathetic and insulting. And fan nick names for songs don't really count. I never called it 12 o'clock and the ones that did only called it that to avoid the whole MJ/Kids issue being bought up when they posted it else where.

Re-read my post! "They" did not "renamed I Never Heard too, just to cash in on the concert title and Michael death" - Michael did in 1984 when he registered it with that title. He wrote the title "This Is It" on the cassette tape.

Cory Rooney was involved from the start. Not in the mixing or producing. But they did contact him to ask him if they can release his song in the first place! He refused to release the song on MICHAEL album because of the fake songs being on there. So if your crazy theory about no label on multitracks is true, they could have asked Cory what was the name of the song.

It is obvious that they knew the song's title and re-named it to sound more edgy, more current and more fitting to the new production. I wouldn't do it myself. But that's no reason to call someone (Timbaland or LA): "a talentless waste", "stupidity on some morons part", "Pathetic and insulting".

Re-read my post! "They" did not "renamed I Never Heard too, just to cash in on the concert title and Michael death" - Michael did in 1984 when he registered it with that title. He wrote the title "This Is It" on the cassette tape.

Cory Rooney was involved from the start. Not in the mixing or producing. But they did contact him to ask him if they can release his song in the first place! He refused to release the song on MICHAEL album because of the fake songs being on there. So if your crazy theory about no label on multitracks is true, they could have asked Cory what was the name of the song.

It is obvious that they knew the song's title and re-named it to sound more edgy, more current and more fitting to the new production. I wouldn't do it myself. But that's no reason to call someone (Timbaland or LA): "a talentless waste", "stupidity on some morons part", "Pathetic and insulting".

The reason is it's my opinion. I am entitled to it whether you like it or not. When and where was it reveled that I Never Heard had been titled This Is It by Michael? There is a different song with the same title registered around time, but does not credit Paul Anka at all and is not the same song. Maybe Cory was involved a little, but I doubt would have had a say in the title. And its not edgy or anything man, its just the name of a city.

The reason is it's my opinion. I am entitled to it whether you like it or not. When and where was it reveled that I Never Heard had been titled This Is It by Michael? There is a different song with the same title registered around time, but does not credit Paul Anka at all and is not the same song. Maybe Cory was involved a little, but I doubt would have had a say in the title. And its not edgy or anything man, its just the name of a city.

This Is It is the same song as I Never Heard. Don't know why Anka was not given credits. Maybe he didn't co-write the song after all and that's why Estate had a problem with it.

I never said Cory had a say. I said that if they didn't know what the title is (like you suggested) they could have asked him.

Edgy or not, it sounds better than She Was Loving Me.

Insulting someone is rude, of course you can do it and of course you can have your opinion. But it it wrong.

This Is It is the same song as I Never Heard. Don't know why Anka was not given credits. Maybe he didn't co-write the song after all and that's why Estate had a problem with it.

I never said Cory had a say. I said that if they didn't know what the title is (like you suggested) they could have asked him.

Insulting someone is rude, of course you can do it and of course you can have your opinion. But it it wrong.

Has it ever been confirmed by anyone that I Never Heard was/is the same song as This Is It? Or is that just postulations made by fans?

No it's not. You should do some more research before stating false info as fact. This Is It is a different song. And if Paul Anka had no right to the song, why did he release not one but TWO versions of the song!??! Geez man, Sorry you have such a hard on for timberbland, but that's your boner, not mine. He insulted Michael by shitting on his music so I have no issue insulting him. Chicago is a shit name, for that song. It does not suit the song, the vibe or the lyrics, plain and simple. Give me one good reason why this song should be called that? Aside from the one time it is said? You mention Earth Song earlier as not being said in the song and that is true. But the title still suits the song, as is the case with all song titles, generally. Especially with Michael. They were relevant to the song subject, this is not.

Has it ever been confirmed by anyone that I Never Heard was/is the same song as This Is It? Or is that just postulations made by fans?

No, it hasn't been. But, if memory serves right, several on gearslutz have confirmed there was a song in Michael's vaults called This Is It, and it was not I Never Heard. I am trying to locate the thrads atm

Sorry you have such a hard on for timberbland, but that's your boner, not mine. He insulted Michael by shitting on his music so I have no issue insulting him. Chicago is a shit name, for that song.

You are just being frustrated and that's it. And with you own frustration you can't change the fact that Timbaland is very talented and respected producer and that frustrates you even more. And like I said, you can be rude, you can insult people as much as you want, but that won't change the facts and your delusions won't become reality. You will just become more and more frustrated.

All of this kinda pointless back and forth arguing aside, I think chicago is a perfect name myself lol

That said the title of the song I don't think has all that much baring on how good it is or how well it does, a good song is a good song :p

Especially since it's not really being promoted...

All of this kinda pointless back and forth arguing aside, I think chicago is a perfect name myself lol

Exactly. Like I said, I wouldn't change the song's title because that's how Cory Rooney originally titled it. But Chicago does sound better than She Was Loving Me.

Hollywood Tonight without a doubt. Chicago is a very average song imo. The songwriting is just bland and I even find MJ's vocals on the chorus sound a bit forced/overdramatic (which is something I rarely have with MJ). The production ideas are interesting but overall it just sounds like a generic late 90s/early 2000s R&B track, comparable to some songs on Invincible that are okay but just don't really do it for me. Hollywood is great on the other hand imo. It's got a great groove and that 'dance track with a serious, dark vibe' aspect that's vintage MJ. I think all the percussive elements on it are great too.

I think Hollywood could have been a big song for MJ if he had been able to finish it. Chicago, imo, not so much.

In all honesty I believe that Corey Rooney overhyped this song too much. It was all this excessive talk about She Was Loving me leading up to it's release. People saying that it was the best song MJ had recorded in over 10 years and Corey saying that MJ was over the moon because he hadn't sung so low since Billie Jean. Lol really?

All in all it's a good song, great vocals, but I can't digest the late 90's R&b production as smoothly..

Exactly. Like I said, I wouldn't change the song's title because that's how Cory Rooney originally titled it. But Chicago does sound better than She Was Loving Me.

Realize that I only said that cuz I live in Chicago lol

You are just being frustrated and that's it. And with you own frustration you can't change the fact that Timbaland is very talented and respected producer and that frustrates you even more. And like I said, you can be rude, you can insult people as much as you want, but that won't change the facts and your delusions won't become reality. You will just become more and more frustrated.

Lo, why would I be frustrated about someone I don't know? I couldn't care a less. If people wanna pay money to listen to music they enjoy, just cos I don't like it doesn't mean they shouldn't. But just because loads of sheep follow the same route doesn't mean I can;t take a different one. My original point (The song is called She Was Loving Me, not Chicago) still stands.
You are the one being over sensitive to me making comments about someone you do not know. Chill, its just an opinion. I never said Timberland ain't got skills. I just find him dull and uninspiring, fact. That won't change.

In all honesty I believe that Corey Rooney overhyped this song too much. It was all this excessive talk about She Was Loving me leading up to it's release. People saying that it was the best song MJ had recorded in over 10 years and Corey saying that MJ was over the moon because he hadn't sung so low since Billie Jean. Lol really?

All in all it's a good song, great vocals, but I can't digest the late 90's R&b production as smoothly..

Yeah, I think CR did hype it up a lot. But I also don't think the version he was hyping is the "original version" from Xscape. In fact it unlikely its the version that leaked either. More likely something between those too. Though That may just me being hopeful. I would like a finished mix of the rock version to leak though. Guitars are badly mixed and some of the drums could do with being tweaked. There is also some timing issues in places.

Hollywood Tonight for me.
I love She Was Lovin' Me / Chicago :cheeky: the vocals are amazing.
I really like all 3 versions of the song but I adore the demo, such a cool vibe.
Love Hollywood Tonight, love the demo and I love Teddy's version, it's classic MJ really strong Dangerous style dance track.
I just wish MJ recorded the bridge for it.
By the way is it called Hollywood Tonight or Hollywood ?
Because on all the notes about the song Michael calls it Hollywood.

No it does not. The song WAS called She Was Loving Me and now IS called Chicago.

Man I am so tried of this pointless quarrel. Seriously, its just boring me. Can we agree that the Tiberland version is Chicago but the other 2 are She Was Loving Me?

Hollywood Tonight for me.
I love She Was Lovin' Me / Chicago :cheeky: the vocals are amazing.
I really like all 3 versions of the song but I adore the demo, such a cool vibe.
Love Hollywood Tonight, love the demo and I love Teddy's version, it's classic MJ really strong Dangerous style dance track.
I just wish MJ recorded the bridge for it.

I think Michael referred to it as Hollywood sometimes, but it was registered as Hollywood Tonight. I could be wrong so someone feel free to correct me there. Obviously the Teddy Version was registered as Hollywood Tonight, but I am fairly certain it was registered under that title before Michael passed too.

Last edited:

It was always Hollywood Tonight. Hollywood is just shorter name.

Look at the picture from Conrad Murray documentary (the one with list of the songs on MJ's mirror) - it is listed as Hollywood Tonight.

I'd have to go with Chicago!! Fell in love with it instantly. The tempo, the storyline, and Michael's varying vocals--how he belts out the chorus...it gets me boppin around driving in my car! haha

Def Chicago for me for the same reasons as mjsdangerousgurl ^^ lol

I loveeeeee his vocals :wub:

Back