Creating Our Own Michael Jackson Musical

DJs_Doodles

Daryl Joel 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Country
United-States
MN_2324_1184x864_MJ.jpg

We've all heard of or probably even seen MJ the Musical on Broadway. However, what I noticed about the soundtrack is that it mostly features only Michael Jackson's most popular songs (with a few exceptions, like Keep the Faith and 2 Bad). Although this is great for helping the musical appeal to more people, what if there was a Michael Jackson musical created by fans? One that went more in depth on Michael and his life, as well as featuring more of a variety of songs (including ones that are more theatrical in nature)?

What I also seem to get out of MJ the Musical is that it mostly revolves around choreography and dance. This fanmade version, however, is largely story-based, and focuses on every major event in Michael's life, from the Jackson 5 all the way up until his death.

Here are a few of the songs that I would include on my version of an MJ-oriented musical, and when they would occur:

1. Big Boy - The Jackson 5 (Played around the beginning, signaling the beginning of Michael's career and the sacrifice of his childhood.)
2. To Make My Father Proud (From 1984's "Farewell My Summer Love," a ballad in which young Michael laments about the pressures of show business, while also paying a tribute to his parents.)
3. If'n I Was God (This song was originally sung by Michael in the early 70s, but in my version of this fanmade musical, he actually sings it as an adult, during a scene where he laments about the problems and suffering in the world, wishing he could do more to change it.)
4. Childhood (This one's probably the most important song in the entire musical. The performance I envision of it on stage is also a lot more dramatic and picturesque than the original music video, featuring Michael flying and jumping across clouds among many children, slashing an imaginary sword like a pirate, and even briefly changing his outfit to that of a king's robes and a crown. At the end, he eventually comes back down to the ground in complete darkness and a lone stage light.)
5. Smile (I envision this being at the very end, after the very last scenes occur revolving around his death. The very last scene involves a group of fans mourning outside of his grave, then transitioning to one stage light on Michael above them, standing on a platform designed to look like a cloud. He sings this song down to the fans below. As the song ends, the group of fans below release balloons to honor him, and with a smile, Michael catches it as it floats towards him and blows a kiss to the audience. The musical ends.)

These are the best ones I can think of for now, but I also want YOUR ideas on how you would make your own Michael Jackson musical. What songs would you include? When would they occur? How would the performance of it look on stage?

We've all heard of or probably even seen MJ the Musical on Broadway. However, what I noticed about the soundtrack is that it mostly features only Michael Jackson's most popular songs (with a few exceptions, like Keep the Faith and 2 Bad). Although this is great for helping the musical appeal to more people, what if there was a Michael Jackson musical created by fans? One that went more in depth on Michael and his life, as well as featuring more of a variety of songs (including ones that are more theatrical in nature)?

What I also seem to get out of MJ the Musical is that it mostly revolves around choreography and dance.
I have no desire to see the musical but a show that is dance orientated, especially since it's a Michael show, is exactly what I would want.

This fanmade version, however, is largely story-based, and focuses on every major event in Michael's life, from the Jackson 5 all the way up until his death.
Oof! That's a big ask! 😲

[...] These are the best ones I can think of for now, but I also want YOUR ideas on how you would make your own Michael Jackson musical. What songs would you include? When would they occur? How would the performance of it look on stage?
This is tricky so I may be some time, lol. Otoh, I want something grand and operatic so I can include Is It Scary and (possibly) Little Susie. Don't ask me how I would use them to tell Michael's story, lol. Maybe I wouldn't even try to do that. I dunno. I just know I want both of those songs included. Possibly also HH /TPH bc that has a bit of gothic pop feel although it isn't grand and operatic like the other two. I haven't decided what other songs I can include. I'm not trying to recreate Ghosts, btw. I want something completely different but I do want that big, operatic atmosphere.

Otoh, I want an old-fashioned musical - dance oriented - I want it like a Hollywood golden age musical with people jumping out of cupboards or jumping on tables and knowing all the words and all the dance routines and great costumes and every single inch of the stage being used.:ROFLMAO:

Oh look! I already have that! Smooth Criminal. :D

So SC (4 minute version) is the central song for my second version of the show but, again, I haven't figured out the rest of it.

Somehow I would want to include Music and Me. 🤔

I really don't know how to make this thing hang together. I'll have to think. Like I said, I may be some time, lol.

I have no desire to see the musical but a show that is dance orientated, especially since it's a Michael show, is exactly what I would want.
And that's cool! And I'm not saying that I would remove dance oriented scenes ALTOGETHER. If there are no dance scenes or elements of immaculate group choreography at all, then what would even be the point?

I just wouldn't want my version of an MJ musical to have only dance scenes or just rely on that alone to grasp the audience's attention. It's not just about Michael the performer, but Michael the human being. Michael the person. It would also require telling his life story in this characteristic artistic manner, which often impacted his musical work and performances anyways.

Oof! That's a big ask! 😲
It is! But that is why I believe a fanmade musical like this CAN work.

Given that fans know so much about his life story and know how to portray it in a respectful and appropriate manner, I don't believe it would be as difficult to execute from us. It would be a lot easier for fans, especially incredibly dedicated ones, to portray his life story this way that's not just surface level.

Of course, I also believe it would require a few helping hands from people who are passionate about theater, musical soundtracks, executing choreography, storytelling, and/or film. For example, I plan to create a storyboard one day for my ideas regarding the potential "Childhood" number. I already have many ideas for the sequences I plan to include.

I want something grand and operatic so I can include Is It Scary and (possibly) Little Susie. Don't ask me how I would use them to tell Michael's story, lol.
Those are some good ideas! Little Susie especially is very cinematic. The imagery would make for a great scene. As for how it would relate to Michael's story, I think including it would highlight the large ambitions and versatility he had for the HIStory album and era, as well as showing an insight to his depressed state of mind at the time. Is It Scary could also be a part of this, but more about the judgment he received from the public and how he reacted to it (as that what's Is It Scary is largely an allegory for, as well as Ghosts).

I want it like a Hollywood golden age musical with people jumping out of cupboards or jumping on tables and knowing all the words and all the dance routines and great costumes and every single inch of the stage being used. :ROFLMAO:
I also think this is a brilliant idea, considering that Michael was a fan of the Golden Age Hollywood movies and musicals. With this, this fanmade musical wouldn't just pay tribute to him, but pay tribute to his inspirations/influences as well. Also, I can imagine this for a potential "Is It Scary" number, especially for the first verse ("There's a ghost out in the hall, there's a ghoul under the bed, now it's coming through the walls, now it's coming up the stairs..."), as well as for a potential "Heartbreak Hotel" number with the sounds of the doors slamming in the pre-chorus.

Last edited:
And splitting the role of Middle Michael into two separate characters (Teenage Michael and Young Adult Michael)!!!! The Teenage Michael will represent Dancing Machine era Michael and Young Adult Michael will represent Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad!!!!! The trio of Michaels will become a quartet of Michaels!!!!! and I hope all the ideas in this thread will happen!!!!!!

Last edited:
And splitting the role of Middle Michael into two separate characters (Teenage Michael and Young Adult Michael)!!!! The Teenage Michael will represent Dancing Machine era Michael and Young Adult Michael will represent Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad!!!!! The trio of Michaels will become a quartet of Michaels!!!!! and I hope all the ideas in this thread will happen!!!!!!
You guys have such amazing ideas. Not sure yet what song what accompany this quartet, but I'll come up with something!

You guys have such amazing ideas. Not sure yet what song what accompany this quartet, but I'll come up with something!
I'm certain that a quartet idea will be amazing!!!! Teenage Michael and Young Adult Michael will be distinguished by their hairstyles, eras, clothes etc!!!!

Last edited:
And that's cool! And I'm not saying that I would remove dance oriented scenes ALTOGETHER. If there are no dance scenes or elements of immaculate group choreography at all, then what would even be the point?
Oh, I got that. I was just getting over-excited, lol.

I just wouldn't want my version of an MJ musical to have only dance scenes or just rely on that alone
And I didn't think you did want this but now that you mention it ... I LOVE that suggestion. OK, that would turn it into a dance piece as opposed to a musical but I like the idea. I am now derailing myself while I try to work out how this would actually work. 🤣

to grasp the audience's attention. It's not just about Michael the performer, but Michael the human being. Michael the person.
But the challenge, to try to show that through dance and Michael's songs without any dialogue. 😲

It would also require telling his life story in this characteristic artistic manner, which often impacted his musical work and performances anyways.
🤔

This is going to take a LOT longer than I thought, lol.

I'm certain that a quartet idea will be amazing!!!! Teenage Michael and Young Adult Michael will be distinguished by their hairstyle, eras, clothes etc!!!!
All four Michaels (Little Michael, Teenage Michael, Young Adult Michael, and MJ) will sing solos, duets, trios, and quartets!!!! They will also play instruments!!!

Teenage Michael will be Michael Jackson at age 16-19, and then Young Adult Michael will be Michael Jackson in his twenties!!!!

⚠️⚠️ MAJOR UPDATE ⚠️⚠️

Tonight, I will begin drawing a storyboard for a "Childhood" number for this (currently untitled) fanmade musical. Of course, it will not be extremely sophisticated as it is just a storyboard, but it will give fans an insight into what to expect to see during this part.

The "Childhood" sequence will include 1 minute and 20 seconds of extra instrumental score from the song (that is pitched down a semitone with a reverb effect) before the official performance begins, along with some dialogue. After that, the song begins.

I've considered using an AI program to "voice" Michael myself during the parts of dialogue. This is the program I usually play around with when it comes to giving Michael a voice in my personal projects.

Thanks for everyone who has become very engaged with this. I hope this will receive a positive reception. ❤️

Tonight, I will begin drawing a storyboard for a "Childhood" number for this (currently untitled) fanmade musical. Of course, it will not be extremely sophisticated as it is just a storyboard, but it will give fans an insight into what to expect to see during this part.
Update: Due to mental health complications, I will be delaying work on this storyboard. I'm also unsure of the date of when I am expected to begin work.

Back