Discover Islam (all welcome!)

Aha, I've been hanging out with Muslims so often that I sometimes forget there are folks out there that don't know Islamic terminology! I meant halal as lawful, as you said, but not just for food, but also for anything else... Halal dating, halal music, etc.

Needless to say that when it comes to music, Muslims have different points of view... There are people that don't listen to music at all, then there are those that only listen to music made by voices or percussions, then there are those that just avoid certain topics...

Yeah the moment you start referring to inappropriate music as not halal, thats when you realize you been spending way too much time with Muslims lol.

But you are absolutely correct. As far as what kind of music is considered halal or haram is really depending on the individual and how or if they choose to follow those guidelines.

^ Ho0pman31 who you confused is Muslim!!

Not many people use that term outside of food term, though it CAN - it is definitely not common.. I got what you were saying though.

It' like saying "this movie is delicious"... usually 'delicious' is meant for food but really means 'very pleasing'... lol

Def not so common, cause music is so universal and even part of all types of Muslim cultures. So it's def not as strict. However, I'm sure they're more devoted Muslims who choose to refrain from listening to music with lyrics dealing with sex, drugs, profanity, etc.

^ Very true, there are Muslims that restrain from listening to secular (sex, drugs, cursing) music. There are Muslims that are very strict..

Funny how in non Muslim countries though all a Muslim needs is a beard... Or goes to the mosque (Jamia).. Or maybe vales themselves to be commonly mistaken for an 'extremist'

Worst yet, maybe hold a name like Rasheed and be thought of In the lines of a terrorist at an airport..

Sorry a little sensitive I guess lol!

^ Very true, there are Muslims that restrain from listening to secular (sex, drugs, cursing) music. There are Muslims that are very strict..

Funny how in non Muslim countries though all a Muslim needs is a beard... Or goes to the mosque (Jamia).. Or maybe vales themselves to be commonly mistaken for an 'extremist'

Worst yet, maybe hold a name like Rasheed and be thought of In the lines of a terrorist at an airport..

Sorry a little sensitive I guess lol!

When I was little I used to think that Muslim women who wore veils and long skirts were extremely devout too, and Muslim men with beards. I just assumed they were similar to the Christians who looked like that, and in my country we have a Bible Belt with fundamentalist Christians who are extremely strict. The colloquial name for them is "black stockings churches" because the women all wear black stockings and long skirts. The Muslims I knew growing up all wore Western clothing so I assumed the ones who didn't were the most 'extreme' in their beliefs. I realised later on that wearing traditional clothes for Muslims does not have the same fundamentalist connotation as it does for Christians and Jews. I know a Moroccan girl who wears a headscarf and ankle-length dresses but is also a Beyonce fan, lol.

If anyone's wondering what I mean with Christian fundamentalist clothing, here's an example:

9C243503730769FEBD3D59E292EE5838-zondag-in-staphorst.jpg

^ Now if you see a Christian woman wearing that you know she's knee deep in the Bible, lol. But for Muslim women it would be a pretty standard outfit (although their headwear tends to be a little more flattering).

^^Interesting-I didn't know that. I assumed the same thing about the dress code-I always thought that meant orthodox like Christians and Jews do.

When I was little I used to think that Muslim women who wore veils and long skirts were extremely devout too, and Muslim men with beards. I just assumed they were similar to the Christians who looked like that, and in my country we have a Bible Belt with fundamentalist Christians who are extremely strict. The colloquial name for them is "black stockings churches" because the women all wear black stockings and long skirts. The Muslims I knew growing up all wore Western clothing so I assumed the ones who didn't were the most 'extreme' in their beliefs. I realised later on that wearing traditional clothes for Muslims does not have the same fundamentalist connotation as it does for Christians and Jews. I know a Moroccan girl who wears a headscarf and ankle-length dresses but is also a Beyonce fan, lol.

^ Now if you see a Christian woman wearing that you know she's knee deep in the Bible, lol. But for Muslim women it would be a pretty standard outfit (although their headwear tends to be a little more flattering).

Yes, so now a days the hijab (headscarf) is worn in various ways and styles and is just standard. The hijab doesn't necessarily mean you are a strong devoted Muslim nor does a lengthy beard mean you're a devoted Muslim, but it could if that's the intention. However, the modesty that's asked of us in both men and women should be there in dress, conduct, and the way you carry yourself.

Veiling of woman is a ancient cultural thing that many religions still hold.. In Christianity some Amish, Pentecostal, Apostolic, and catholic women still cover themselves.. Even the very traditional veiling of a woman at wedding stem from the same traditions...

In Muslim countries depending on how secular they are you will see (or not see) several women that are veiled.. Think to yourself in America (one of the most secular countries in the world with various faiths) we can still see Christians and other faiths veiled.. We can be understanding to culture than has not been adapted into a Western secular view.

When I lived in Libya in the 90's, there were 2 TV channels, and the GVMT basically taught how to live.. I guarantee just like the internet basically was the trigger of uprisings - it will be the key to many countries secularizing..

Islamic countries are for several years did not have access to progress the way parts or Europe and the United States.. literally sheltered in specific Islamic teachings.. Which by the way vary a lot per country and even portions of country..

U'll go places and only see a womans eyes, and you'll go somewhere else where just the hair is covered. and some no veiled at all.

Give 10 years time, the percent of veiled women will decline, and those who stay covered will show more.. Just like any other place... Daisy Dukes were big In the U.S for a reason... legs were finally showing!! lol

Some old ladies in the Czech Rep wear headscarves, albeit not for religious reasons, it's just a cultural tradition. I wear one from time to time, too.

I think Czeck Rep is one of the lowest religious populated countries.

Last edited:
Veiling of woman is a ancient cultural thing that many religions still hold.. In Christianity some Amish, Pentecostal, Apostolic, and catholic women still cover themselves.. Even the very traditional veiling of a woman at wedding stem from the same traditions...

In Muslim countries depending on how secular they are you will see (or not see) several women that are veiled.. Think to yourself in America (one of the most secular countries in the world with various faiths) we can still see Christians and other faiths veiled.. We can be understanding to culture than has not been adapted into a Western secular view.

When I lived in Libya in the 90's, there were 2 TV channels, and the GVMT basically taught how to live.. I guarantee just like the internet basically was the trigger of uprisings - it will be the key to many countries secularizing..

Islamic countries are for several years did not have access to progress the way parts or Europe and the United States.. literally sheltered in specific Islamic teachings.. Which by the way vary a lot per country and even portions of country..

U'll go places and only see a womans eyes, and you'll go somewhere else where just the hair is covered. and some no veiled at all.

Give 10 years time, the percent of veiled women will decline, and those who stay covered will show more.. Just like any other place... Daisy Dukes were big In the U.S for a reason... legs were finally showing!! lol

I believe even Christian Arabs in the middle east wear the headscarf (hijab) for cultural reasons.

Whats your ethnicty and religion if you don't mind asking? I forgot if you said you were Muslim or not. lol

I am half arab (Libyan) and half Italian (Sicilian)... When it comes to religion I am a bit conflicted to be honest, I guess a combo of diving into both Christianity and Islam (father - muslim / Mother - Christian).. Spent a decent amount of time in both churches and mosques. With that along side world religion classes I've taken (along with personal research) I have found myself more on the lines of agnostic I guess... I think... lol! Lets just say I'm open to ideas/theories/possibilities.

I've lived in Libya and In the United states and have witnessed the cultural differences and can understand the misconceptions of muslims for sure.. So find myself defending Muslims more than staying neutral because I see it as bullying.

I am half arab (Libyan) and half Italian (Sicilian)... When it comes to religion I am a bit conflicted to be honest, I guess a combo of diving into both Christianity and Islam (father - muslim / Mother - Christian).. Spent a decent amount of time in both churches and mosques. With that along side world religion classes I've taken (along with personal research) I have found myself more on the lines of agnostic I guess... I think... lol! Lets just say I'm open to ideas/theories/possibilities.

I've lived in Libya and In the United states and have witnessed the cultural differences and can understand the misconceptions of muslims for sure.. So find myself defending Muslims more than staying neutral because I see it as bullying.

Wow, very interesting life you've had growing up.

The best way for a peaceful life is to understand and be tolerant and accepting of all cultures and faiths.

I also started to study religion and it helped me understand why I'm a Muslim. For others it can cause conflictiion like you said. But if you come to religion and culture in a unbiased approach, you can then identity yourself in a more genuine and peaceful way.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I think Czeck Rep is one of the lowest religious populated countries.

Exactly, many people here don't adhere to any religion. Some are atheists, some are agnostics, some believe in deity, but don't like the idea of church.

I, too, don't feel I should subscribe to a specific religion. I feel OK reading Koran and living my life the best way possible, contemplating in interfaith religious areas and thinking about God, but I can't see myself going a step further.

I, too, don't feel I should subscribe to a specific religion. I feel OK reading Koran and living my life the best way possible, contemplating in interfaith religious areas and thinking about God, but I can't see myself going a step further.

So you believe in God and read the Qur'an but you don't label yourself as Muslim? Trying to figure this out lol

^ this can open an interesting can of worms.. Now we could get into what is a muslim, or Christian etc.

I mean If we dissected the Quran for example - it even states "Believe in me and in my messenger Jesus", They sad "We have believed, so bear witness that indeed we are Muslim"

Much of the other scripture of what a Muslim "Is" Is directed to the belief, trust, faith in Allah's (God) word..

All in all the actual term Muslim is more so a term designed for someone that believes in God through the lineage of Abraham.. This (in all argument sake) would include Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Almost like the word Christian.. which was established years after Jesus. There was never any real full explanation of the term Christian in scripture either, more so understood of a follower of Jesus. (also stated about Muslims) Jesus states in the Bible that people of faith are children of Abraham.. (also similarly stated about Muslims in the Quran)..

All in all the term Muslim and Christian are more the same than what people made it to be (In my opinion) once you dissect scriptures they tie together more than most realize..

Some can argue that a Muslim can be a Christian BY definition.. Lets not forget Jesus himself was a Jew.. by faith a child of Abraham, same as Christians and Muslims..

^ this can open an interesting can of worms.. Now we could get into what is a muslim, or Christian etc.

I mean If we dissected the Quran for example - it even states "Believe in me and in my messenger Jesus", They sad "We have believed, so bear witness that indeed we are Muslim"

Much of the other scripture of what a Muslim "Is" Is directed to the belief, trust, faith in Allah's (God) word..

All in all the actual term Muslim is more so a term designed for someone that believes in God through the lineage of Abraham.. This (in all argument sake) would include Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Almost like the word Christian.. which was established years after Jesus. There was never any real full explanation of the term Christian in scripture either, more so understood of a follower of Jesus. (also stated about Muslims) Jesus states in the Bible that people of faith are children of Abraham.. (also similarly stated about Muslims in the Quran)..

All in all the term Muslim and Christian are more the same than what people made it to be (In my opinion) once you dissect scriptures they tie together more than most realize..

Some can argue that a Muslim can be a Christian BY definition.. Lets not forget Jesus himself was a Jew.. by faith a child of Abraham, same as Christians and Muslims..

The term 'Christian' was a derogatory term used by non-believers of Jesus to call out those who believed in Christ. The disciples of Jesus a.s were the first people to be called Christians, years after Jesus had left.

"And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.." Acts 11:26

So the Islamic perspective is that the term 'Christian' bares no authority nor by Jesus a.s or by God.

The term 'Muslim' is authorized by God which means one who peacefully submits to the will of Allah. So all of Allahs messengers starting from Adam a.s all the way down to Muhammad pbuh were all Muslims.

Yes, Jesus a.s was a Jew born in the Palestinian town of Bethlehem, a Muslim who preached Islam with the Torah and Injeel (Gospels) at the time.

Ahmed Deedat is one of my favorite comparative religion scholars. lol

So you believe in God and read the Qur'an but you don't label yourself as Muslim? Trying to figure this out lol

Yes, like you said that. In addition, Bahais also believe that there's only one god and Muhammad was his messenger - but they don't consider themselves Muslims cause they believe he wasn't the last one.

Some of my Muslim friends told me I was a Muslim in their eyes for what i believe in, but I still don't think of myself as a member of a specific religion, let alone Islam.

Yes, like you said that. In addition, Bahais also believe that there's only one god and Muhammad was his messenger - but they don't consider themselves Muslims cause they believe he wasn't the last one.

Some of my Muslim friends told me I was a Muslim in their eyes for what i believe in, but I still don't think of myself as a member of a specific religion, let alone Islam.

What is Bahais? I'm sorry, but don't think I'am familiar with that sect. Who do they believe came after prophet Muhammad pbuh?

I mean, the Muslim perspective is that Islam is the religion God choose for mankind ever since prophet Adam, as quoted by Allah in The Qur'an. So even though you do not claim to be 'Muslim' (which I still don't understand why that may be the case despite adhering to The Qur'an) however, you still believe in God is 1 and he is who we worship alone, and that you believe in all of the prophets from Adam down to Muhammad pbuh, then most Muslims would consider you a Muslim.....just subconsciously lol.

Even Shias, who claim to be Muslims, despite in the Qur'an, God saying that there should be no division or sects in Islam, I would think most moderate Muslims will accept them as Muslims even if they don't believe in sects besides Sunni Islam will be accepted, as God directed. But of course that's because we want that to be dealt with between the individual and God, and we are no one to judge.

Edit: I have heard of bahai but never researched it lol

Last edited:
What is Bahais? I'm sorry, but don't think I'am familiar with that sect. Who do they believe came after prophet Muhammad pbuh?

I mean, the Muslim perspective is that Islam is the religion God choose for mankind ever since prophet Adam, as quoted by Allah in The Qur'an. So even though you do not claim to be 'Muslim' (which I still don't understand why that may be the case despite adhering to The Qur'an) however, you still believe in God is 1 and he is who we worship alone, and that you believe in all of the prophets from Adam down to Muhammad pbuh, then most Muslims would consider you a Muslim.....just subconsciously lol.

Even Shias, who claim to be Muslims, despite in the Qur'an, God saying that there should be no division or sects in Islam, I would think most moderate Muslims will accept them as Muslims even if they don't believe in sects besides Sunni Islam will be accepted, as God directed. But of course that's because we want that to be dealt with between the individual and God, and we are no one to judge.

Edit: I have heard of bahai but never researched it lol

I don't know, maybe it's an irrational fear that people would treat me differently if I started identifying as a Muslim. I'd have to explain to non-Muslims why I, an educated and emancipated LGBT+ woman, submit to an "oppressive" religion, whether I agree with death penalties, etc. ad nauseam. Even Muslims (and ex-Muslims lol) can be very critical of other Muslims - "Why don't you cover more? Why do you have a Facebook account if it's forbidden according to our imam? You're not a true Muslim if you do XYZ..."

Yeah, so that's it, methinks.

I don't know, maybe it's an irrational fear that people would treat me differently if I started identifying as a Muslim. I'd have to explain to non-Muslims why I, an educated and emancipated LGBT+ woman, submit to an "oppressive" religion, whether I agree with death penalties, etc. ad nauseam. Even Muslims (and ex-Muslims lol) can be very critical of other Muslims - "Why don't you cover more? Why do you have a Facebook account if it's forbidden according to our imam? You're not a true Muslim if you do XYZ..."

Yeah, so that's it, methinks.

Yeah I can totally understand how some Muslims can be critical of other Muslims. Cultural values always play a role. Often times, culture and politics get swirled into religion and gives it all a bad name altogether.

For me, I certainly will not let other Muslims and non-Muslims dictate how I should represent and identity with my faith. I can say that I am Muslim because of the mere fact that I am educated and my faith liberates me. And ultimately it is up to the individual to say how they identify with their own faith. The last thing I would want, is anyone of any faith to tell me how I should or should not practice my faith. Only God can judge me, as 2pac would say lol. If we truly believe in Islam as the truth, then we should have no problem with representing and identifying with ourselfs as Allahs servants.....and I truly believe others should feel the same way.

culture and religion ties together everywhere... It happens everyday! we just tend not to see it as much when we are in it.. There is a reason why even here in the united states many churches back the republican party no matter who is being elected.. It is interesting to see with the progression of the LGBT community and the forced acceptance that all parties will have to take in this country how churches will all of a sudden be progressive too..

Than in 10 years what an 'average' Christian will be is different than the Christian of today.. And what is taught in churches change, along with interpretations of scripture.. We can say the same thing about the average Christian of today in comparison to one in the mi 90's, 80's and further back..

It's not just Islam that is heavily tied with culture and political standpoints... It's just how progressive specific areas are compared to others.. Even here, you go to some small town in Texas and the people you meet there most likely would be much less 'progressive' than the people living in NYC..

Not all muslims are alike, nor are the countries that have large #'s of muslims.. I mean take Dubai for example, who does not want to party and vaca there?? lol Now I could not say the same for all "Islamic" countries.

On an unrelated note, I've been researching my family's genealogy and found out I have Turkish roots, which in itself is nothing surprising as Czechs are made up of any nation that passed by Czechia lol, but it seems my ancestors were likely Muslims as well. I also have Christian and Jewish ancestors, so basically three major European religions.

On an unrelated note, I've been researching my family's genealogy and found out I have Turkish roots, which in itself is nothing surprising as Czechs are made up of any nation that passed by Czechia lol, but it seems my ancestors were likely Muslims as well. I also have Christian and Jewish ancestors, so basically three major European religions.

Jews, Christians, and Muslims have all lived in peace and harmony together for centuries and have also flourished while being in each others rule.

If anyone has interest in Islam, questions can be asked here.

"Cousins" i have on question.

If i enjoy Islam.
What i have to do to be saved/make it to heaven or paradise?

"Cousins" i have on question.

If i enjoy Islam.
What i have to do to be saved/make it to heaven or paradise?

To accept Islam, one must testify that there is no deity worthy of worship, except Allah (God) and Muhammad is his Messenger (last and final).

As a Muslim, our good and bad deeds will be judged by Allah on the day of judgment.

Thank you h0opman31 !
You to if you have any question about Yeshua/Jesus fell free to ask there JC thread:ciao:

Back