Do you like Prince? (musician, not MJ's son)

Do you like Prince?

• Total voters
Once he demanded all of his pictures and videos to be removed from fan sites.
Yeap, he's a jerk because of this :D
But I like most of his music, he's very talented :yes: When I discovered MJ I also discovered his great "enemy" :lol:
I don't like though that the major subject of his songs is sex.

Last edited:
No. I could never get into him. He's talented, yes, but as Lucilla mentioned, he's a one-trick horse, with most of his music being sexual in nature. Michael definitely surpassed him in all imaginable ways, although I don't think we're here to debate that. :p

I had to laugh at Lucilla referring to him as Michael's great "enemy."

He seems to be a bit of a jerk, from what I've heard said about him, even by his own fans. The funniest thing he's been involved in recently was just kicking Ke$ha out of his house (to be fair, she was trespassing), but that happened before K$ gained celebrity status. I think the most irritating thing about him is his position on his material being distributed on YouTube or even fan sites dedicated to him! I mean, seriously! If anything, YouTube promotes material--I've ended up buying songs and albums from artists I would not otherwise have sought out through YouTube. He's completely missing out on that, but it's his loss, I reckon.

This article in particular goes over his whole YouTube controversy: http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/home-video-prince/story?id=3777651

Apparently, he trolls YouTube for videos which may be infringing upon his copyright, even 29 seconds' worth of it. If only he devoted the aforementioned time to creative projects, he might still be relevant today.

Regarding pictures of him on fan sites--well, they're obviously there because they like him, right? They've supported him throughout his career, so without them, he'd be nothing. His stance on their use of his pictures is completely ridiculous and arrogant. In that, he's the entire converse of Michael.

No. I could never get into him. He's talented, yes, but as Lucilla mentioned, he's a one-trick horse, with most of his music being sexual in nature. Michael definitely surpassed him in all imaginable ways, although I don't think we're here to debate that. :p

I had to laugh at Lucilla referring to him as Michael's great "enemy."

He seems to be a bit of a jerk, from what I've heard said about him, even by his own fans. The funniest thing he's been involved in recently was just kicking Ke$ha out of his house (to be fair, she was trespassing), but that happened before K$ gained celebrity status. I think the most irritating thing about him is his position on his material being distributed on YouTube or even fan sites dedicated to him! I mean, seriously! If anything, YouTube promotes material--I've ended up buying songs and albums from artists I would not otherwise have sought out through YouTube. He's completely missing out on that, but it's his loss, I reckon.

This article in particular goes over his whole YouTube controversy: http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/home-video-prince/story?id=3777651

Apparently, he trolls YouTube for videos which may be infringing upon his copyright, even 29 seconds' worth of it. If only he devoted the aforementioned time to creative projects, he might still be relevant today.

Regarding pictures of him on fan sites--well, they're obviously there because they like him, right? They've supported him throughout his career, so without them, he'd be nothing. His stance on their use of his pictures is completely ridiculous and arrogant. In that, he's the entire converse of Michael.

I agree with everything you just said.

Prince is in a whole different league from Michael. I honestly believe neither are better than each other; Michael is known for his voice, his dancing and his stage presence. Prince is an extremely talented multi-musician, song writer and someone who constantly pushed the boundries of the pop world - in a completely different sense to Michael. There are so many unreleased Prince albums - WHOLE albums - that he recorded and scrapped during the 80s and 90s, mostly due to the fact that they weren't "commercial" enough. Prince is an artist through and through and personally I think he lives to please what's in his mind rather than the general public. But that's what makes him so brilliant!

Re the taking down stuff off the internet: this goes hand in hand with what I just mentioned. I don't think Prince ever wanted to be as popular as he is, I've read an interview where he stated that he just wanted to get enough money to do musically whatever he wanted.

I'm not a fan of Prince, but I love one song of his "It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night".

I LOVE Prince. I've loved him almost as long as I've loved MJ. Not in the same way, though. If I had choose between them, it would be MJ, no hesitation.

Have to admit Prince never actually did anything for me, mabye that cuz I'm just not part of the Prince generation idk. I tried to force myself to like his stuff but it was in vain. Maybe that b/c Prince was just never relevant in my growing up years, where I lived nobody ever knew who Prince was. I knew Prince as some 80s musician who used to compete with Michael in that decade. I do think that Prince is talented but his type of music just doesn't appeal to me, I also believe that Prince's appeal is very very limited

Not really.always been abit to much on the side of funk for my taste.and never knew much of his music growing up.he wasnt out there much when i was growing up bar the purple rain era

Last edited:
Prince is a dream!! I got into him in 2004, but didn't saw him LIVE until twice last year.

Next Saturday I'm going to see him again + afterparty! WILD!!

It's gonna be a beautiful night :)

Hey great for you mariemarie!
Hope you enjoy your show! He looks in an incredible shape this year, dancing, smiling and playing and singing everything live (of course!)

I love Prince too, been a fan for something like 15 years, well, since The most beautiful girl video came out! I was fascinated!
Finally saw him live in Montreal last June! It was... the best nights (2 shows) of my life!

I think his music is allright and he's crazy good with guitar... but I don't know enough about him as a person to really have an opinion. But I went to his concert and honestly I think it was nice of him to do four encores ("You're just not gonna leave, are you?" "NO!!" "Are you sure?" "YES!!"):D

Yes! And I just saw him in concert last Thursday, it was amaziiinng I tell you!!!

I like Prince. He's second only to Michael in my book. He's a genius.

He will have a show at a festival here in Budapest next week and it's sad to see how clueless the media and people generally are about him here. The articles I have read trying to promote his show were badly written and on a music portal even the journalist who wrote the article seemed very uninformed about him (for one, he claimed they hated each other with Michael - rivalry is not the same as hatred and in fact, they had great respect for one another) and also uninterested. And then they let a fan write an article about him, which was already better in the sense at least that fan (who also happened to be a musician) seemed to get him musically, but the article itself was poorly written. There was hardly even a reaction by readers (shows the indifference towards Prince) and the few were negative. They were calling his music crap. In fact, one likened him to Michael and said "it's 80s crap like MJ". Can you believe that? Now, when people trash both Michael AND Prince that's when you know they have absolutely no clue about music! Not very suprising in my country, though. The music taste of people in general is crap here. I'd like to see what this guy who trashed both Michael and Prince is listening to...

Oh BTW, this music portal is famous for being very snobish, so are their readers, so the MJ bashing is not surprising, but I thought Prince was cool with snobs. I guess he's not any more. Or this website is too snobish even for him....

And it's not that I expect everybody to love the same music as I do, but give credit where due. There are types of music I don't like yet I can tell a musician doing it is talented and great and give credit to him for that. So whoever says Prince and MJ are crap can't tell what talent is in my opinion.

Last edited:
Gotta love the Purple One!

I've been really digging the offcuts from the never-released Camille project, like Feel U Up. The pitched up vocals are just so on point! And I love Electric Chair from the Batman soundtrack. This guy knows his funk so well.

Ágnes;3451126 said:
respect777: are you coming to the concert as well?:)

No.

Are you? It will certainly be a great experience!

Yeah, I like Prince. I like some of his songs (Purple Rain, Cream, When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette).

How was the concert?

I heard he played "Don't stop til you get enough". :punk:

thx for asking. it was AMAZING! Really....i am still under its effect you know:) I hope he will come again!
Yeah he played Dont`t stop.....and also at the end of the concert when he asked about 20 fans to dance with him on stage a guy danced in Michael style and they made a circle around him. Was so cool.

one of my videos: (recorded with phone)
http://youtu.be/SqYkI0_1bus

and a short video of Don`t stop...
http://youtu.be/GK517lq30-A

Yes how can anyone not like Purple Rain...he has a collection of hits and great albums

Back