Double Standards (updated)

#1's can't have sold better than Invincible can it??

AND -Has The Ultimate collection only sold 500.000 copies ?? - That's not very much. - It's a must have for fans, can't believe only 500.000 has bought it!

AND -Has The Ultimate collection only sold 500.000 copies ?? - That's not very much. - It's a must have for fans, can't believe only 500.000 has bought it!

lol..i can't believe that either, since every random fan i ever came across on any site i have ever been on, says they have a copy.

well,, lol...i certainly agree with ur first line about MJ being special. cus with all the choices out there by now for consumers, we shoulda been all up in MJ's mystery, by now, like we are in other artists' mystery. but we're not. there are other artists who have waited a long time between tours, who didn't sell out the way MJ just did. so..i don't quite agree with the rest of ur statement. lol, because what u said in ur first line, covers it, for me. MJ is simply special:yes:. i mean, he simply doesn't play by the same set of rules as others, which is why he constantly seems to astonish many, with the outcomes of his circumstances. lol

Too tired too discuss / argue so...so...*blows rasberry!* :p

lol..i can't believe that either, since every random fan i ever came across on any site i have ever been on, says they have a copy.

I dont!

Ok, lets tart with the albums he released this decade:

1. Invincible (2001) - 12 million

2. Greatest Hits HIStory Volume 1 (2001) - 3 million

3. Number Ones (2003) - 7 million

4. Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection (2004) - 500 thousand

5. The Essential Michael Jackson (2005) - 2.5 million

6. King of Pop (2008) - 700 thousand

7. Thriller: 25 (2008) - 3 million

So just from the albums he released this decade ALONE come to 28.7 million records sold.

Then add in the album sales of his back-catalog (stuff that he released before this decade) and its a little-bit over 30 million albums.

THen add in singles and you get anywhere from 35-40 million sold this decade.

This is just ridiculous...seriously!!! The freakin' media needs to stop hatin' and give the man his props...

Well #1's sold 1.785 million and Invincible sold 2.5 million in the U.S. so they are not that far behind.

And as far as the Ultimate collection goes, 500,000 is a A LOT of people. so it seems about right.

This is just ridiculous...seriously!!! The freakin' media needs to stop hatin' and give the man his props...

I know. MJ is at least one of the Top 10 selling artists of this decade(worldwide) and he only released ONE studio album so far.

Think about it. MJ is still selling more records than most of his competition and he is one of the Top selling acts of the decade. And he is in decline.

I think Ultimate Collection wasn't released properly.I had to get my copy from Amazon cuz I couldn't find it in any local stores here and I think it was never released here and like here in many countries it wasn't released.:(..But for such a great collection with good price 500,000 copies are also not bad.And we know the price of this set was atleast 30-35$$ on internet but in local stores price was more I guesss.

I think Ultimate Collection wasn't released properly.I had to get my copy from Amazon cuz I couldn't find it in any local stores here and I think it was never released here and like here in many countries it wasn't released.:(..But for such a great collection with good price 500,000 copies are also not bad.And we know the price of this set was atleast 30-35$$ on internet but in local stores price was more I guesss.

Really? I see a lot of them at my local Best Buy all the time.

Really? I see a lot of them at my local Best Buy all the time.
Yeah in NY you might see it everywhere but it was never released in India.I have never ever seen The Ultimate Collection in any Local Record Store here:(So I had to buy from Amazon,though I hardly play those CD's cuz I ripped all those songs on my laptop with great quality from those CDs.:cheeky:

I remember it being at Tower records...that's where ig ot my copy...I think I paid $60 for mine...but a couple of months after I bought it the price dropped to $40...

A, and if Mike is in decline, then sign me up...shoot, I may not be a singer but I wanna be doing that well when I'm in decline. Betcha sum of these artists nowadays wouldn't mind it either...

Last edited:
the media can compare all they damn want to. they acn lie about sales and try to defame but when push comes to shove, he showed everyone the truth....

who was the dude who sold out 50 shows IN ONE LOCATION in five hrs? i forgot his name

If piracy is by all means why the industry is flopping then why is MICHAEL JACKSON still selling albums?

Makes KB's point about double standards. When the industry does well and MJ only does ten million globally of a studio album, it's a flop, but then when the industry is flagging (and it is no doubt) and MJ sold three million, those same people say "why did it sold that many!?" :lol:

Well #1's sold 1.785 million and Invincible sold 2.5 million in the U.S. so they are not that far behind.

And as far as the Ultimate collection goes, 500,000 is a A LOT of people. so it seems about right.

Plus THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is a FOUR DISC BOX SET PLUS A DVD! :rofl:

For a quadruple box set? I say yes it is. The thousands that buy it (if it's like 1,000 or so) is counted four times. I know you wasn't expecting four million or something, were you? :lol: And this is to everyone who says "everyone I talked to got it". :lol:

^^^Also most people or fans already have all of those songs.

nope,cuz if if he sells 1 boxset its counted as 5 lol.

That means only 100.000 copies were sold worldwide??

That's not many. - Some of the big names in Denmark sells more than 100.000 copies of their albums (not 5 CD sets I know) but in DK we are only 5 million people, so worldwide 100.000 copies sold of TUC seems very bad!

I think 500 000 of box sets sold :) so 2.5 mln discs sold.

Same thing with HIStory - sold 18 mln albums, but 36 mln discs :)

^^ Y'all just saying that because it's Michael. :lol:

lol...whatever people say, whatever figures are given, the one thing that is easy to overlook is that copies are selling every day, of all his albums. the figures don't stand still. that explains the fans constantly chasing his SUV. you can bet, when he makes an appearance, the people who experience that thrill, live, in their presence, wanna go home and hear his music. lol..that means they have to buy it, or they already bought it. and the immediacy is important to them. so, most likely, they're buyin it. as long as people feel the need to chase his SUV, they feel the need to buy his music, cus..well...lol..obviously, they're thinking about him. lol. and the AIN'T hearin him that much on the radio, cus that's rare enough to summon a thread called 'yay i just heard MJ on the radio'.

mike done gave everyone and they mama a copy of the box set...lawd he was throwing them at people during the trial! Lol

Ok, lets tart with the albums he released this decade:

1. Invincible (2001) - 12 million

2. Greatest Hits HIStory Volume 1 (2001) - 3 million

3. Number Ones (2003) - 7 million

4. Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection (2004) - 500 thousand

5. The Essential Michael Jackson (2005) - 2.5 million

6. King of Pop (2008) - 700 thousand

7. Thriller: 25 (2008) - 3 million

So just from the albums he released this decade ALONE come to 28.7 million records sold.

Then add in the album sales of his back-catalog (stuff that he released before this decade) and its a little-bit over 30 million albums.

THen add in singles and you get anywhere from 35-40 million sold this decade.

To be honest I think your sales figures are overly optimistic. Can you back these up with official sales data?

I can only find official certifications to support sales of 5 million for Invincible, 2.5million for T25. Greatest Hits Vol 1 and Number Ones also seem over the top.

also, the number of releases for those other artists mentioned is less than for Mike, who has been releasing stuff pretty rapidly since 2000. It's not fair to compare sales from 7 releases to sales of say 3 or 4 releases.

Mike does still sell fairly well on a worldwide level (T25 was 15th best selling album worldwide last year), but I don't think anyone could realistically claim that Mike is in the Top 10 for total sales this decade.
Things might improve if a new album is released, but I wouldn't expect that to sell any more than 5 million in total, as that's a pretty astronomical figure these days.

MJ sure still sells a lot of albums.

BUT as said many times already in this thread - because it's MJ, it's a flop!?? - Had it been anyone else it would have been HUGE!

Exactly! That is what makes me mad. People talk like Invincible was a huge flop and that Michael is washed up and all that. Obviously if he's still sold that many albums in this decade with only releasing one with new material the whole time (and at the beginning too), then he's doing great. A lot of singers are seen as being hugely popular, and their sales were nowhere near that of Michael's. Let's do what someone else suggested and start comparing every album that comes out to the sales of Thriller. Yes, I know it came out many years ago, and it's not fair, but who cares? LOL, they aren't being fair either. :D

To be honest I think your sales figures are overly optimistic. Can you back these up with official sales data?

I can only find official certifications to support sales of 5 million for Invincible, 2.5million for T25. Greatest Hits Vol 1 and Number Ones also seem over the top.

also, the number of releases for those other artists mentioned is less than for Mike, who has been releasing stuff pretty rapidly since 2000. It's not fair to compare sales from 7 releases to sales of say 3 or 4 releases.

Mike does still sell fairly well on a worldwide level (T25 was 15th best selling album worldwide last year), but I don't think anyone could realistically claim that Mike is in the Top 10 for total sales this decade.
Things might improve if a new album is released, but I wouldn't expect that to sell any more than 5 million in total, as that's a pretty astronomical figure these days.

OK well for Invincible. 5.4 million was the first and only official figure for that album/ But that was the figure 3 months after its release. Its been 8 years since then. It surly sold more than 5.4 million.

Invincible sold at least 10 million, now I got these figures form a friend who is also tracking MJ's sales:
US: 2,500,000
Canada: 500,000
Japan: 375,000
Australia: 560,000
New Zealand: 105,000

It sold 4.04 in those 5 countries ALONE

And 5 million in all of Europe. And 1 million+ in the rest of the world. So thats 10.04 million. But It might have sold more in the rest of the world. So I said 12 million just to be safe. It was said to have sold 9 million years ago.

Now for Thriller: 25 I found at least 4 sources that claim 3 million sold as of 2009 for that album.

Now for Greatest Hits HIStory Vol 1, 3 million sounds about right. Considering it sold 2.32 million in just 9 countries. So 3 million is about right.

Number Ones is a HUGE seller around the world and is almost on par with Invincible in the U.S. It sold 5.585 million in just 21 countries. So 7 millions is the limit. But if you want a conservative estimation, it would be between 6-6.6 million sold.

So the my figures are not that un-realistic. I try to make the best calls that I can. Like Thriller selling 104 million. That is a highly inflated sales figure. Its sales are now a little-bit over 65 million as of 2009.

Anyway. I think its totally fair to compare MJ to artists of today. Some of them have more releases than MJ does.

Like for example. 50 cent released 12 released albums when you include studio albums, Compilation albums, Soundtracks, and Mixtapes.

My point was that people say MJ's sales are crappy and flopish this decade. But when you compare to other artists, his sales are very impressive.

Like I showed in the first post, MJ has sold a lot more albums this decade than a lot of other artists.

And I also wanted to dismiss that claim made by Rolling Stones that Justin Timberlake is the "new" King Of Pop.

Back