Favourite dances & choreographies

Many of you already mentioned 2Bad, Thriller and Smooth Criminal which are my favorite from Michael's solo career but these are my favorite when he was younger:

What he does in Keep On Dancing at 5:16.

The begining of this Fred Astaire song, Steppin' Out With My Baby

His choreography for Get Happy.

It's funny you post this because a few months ago, a brief conversation popped up in another thread about his fantastic tapping skills and how a lot of people don't even know about them. We basically moaned that it was unfortunate that there are very very little and only young videos of him doing full out tap routines such as this. He added elements of it into much of his dancing in the later years, but as a huge fan of it, I SO wish there was at least 1 tap performance (not counting the Panther Dance) from the last 30 years of his life *sits and waits for a miracle* *harumph*

Last edited:
I always wished he had tap danced far more often then he did. He was fantastic.

It seems Michael just did full tap dance routines in the Jacksons Variety show but he incorporate tap steps into his choreographies in his adult years, not just into the Panther Dance.

I'd also add The Drill and put it above Thriller among my favorite. Just imagine how epic it'd had been Michael leading the CEBU prisoners instead of Travis Payne.

Glad someone understood what I meant - I never know how else to describe it but as a 'jaunty walk'.:D

Oh yeah that walk is also one of my favorites, i just dont understand where he got this idea. its one of those little things u dont really see anyone else doing.
Its hard to pick a favorite dance, for me just seeing him dancing is an experience on its own.

The Dangerous updated routine from 1999 is absolutely sick, its just so bad ass. That makes me think how would he developed other choreographies if he continued to tour in the 00's.

The 'jaunty' walk is so perfect for the Billie Jean story since it's a young man with the world on a string, young, carefree, your whole life is ahead of you-and then of course it gets destroyed with one small and impetuous action.
It's just perfect.

Speaking of 'Get happy' my former fiancé was a major Garland fan (fanatic) and we always celebrated her birthday (today June 10th) instead of our own. Last year, thanks to YouTube, I sent him this clip.
We actually watched this together as teenagers when the Jacksons variety show was on back in the day. Ha.
So it was sentimental for a number of reasons for both of us, not to mention that I adore the routine.

Its between Smooth Criminal, Thriller, Remember The Time

Snow White -
He added elements of it into much of his dancing in the later years, but as a huge fan of it, I SO wish there was at least 1 tap performance (not counting the Panther Dance) from the last 30 years of his life *sits and waits for a miracle* *harumph*
;)

By jaunty walk, do you mean something like this? If not, that's so hawt either way and watching more than you expected to see is a plus. :cheeky:

2lc21yw.jpg

Or this?

michealjackson.gif

Last edited:
Little novel thing I love watching the tap dancing are the splits! Also the scene where he has shorts on, you can really see his legs move and work in that scene.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but Smooth Criminal ALWAYS wows me. Every time! Just, wow - it's exhausting to watch the full routine. I have a lot more appreciation for Thriller after I learned it for TTW lol but gahhh this is really a difficult question to answer. I really love all of them for different reasons; RTT is awesome because he's sweaty and it's all grindy, even though it's not terribly difficult, it's just very cool to watch. BOW because of all the different cultures (though admittedly some of them, nowadays, I realize were probably incorrectly appropriated). Scream because it's fierce as f. idk, it just goes on and on. But Smooth Criminal just mesmerizes me the most, every time.

barbee0715;4093579 said:
The 'jaunty' walk is so perfect for the Billie Jean story since it's a young man with the world on a string, young, carefree, your whole life is ahead of you-and then of course it gets destroyed with one small and impetuous action.
It's just perfect.

Speaking of 'Get happy' my former fiancé was a major Garland fan (fanatic) and we always celebrated her birthday (today June 10th) instead of our own. Last year, thanks to YouTube, I sent him this clip.
We actually watched this together as teenagers when the Jacksons variety show was on back in the day. Ha.
So it was sentimental for a number of reasons for both of us, not to mention that I adore the routine.
Speaking of incredible talents. Have you ever seen her version of old man river. HFC.

Speaking of incredible talents. Have you ever seen her version of old man river. HFC.
Yes. She's incredible. He introduced me to the live concert side of Judy. (Even tho I loved her variety show when I was a little kid). Her Carnegie Hall album is one of the few besides Michael's that I sing along with every note of the band/orchestra bc I listened to it so much and know every note by heart. :)

By jaunty walk, do you mean something like this? If not, that's so hawt either way and watching more than you expected to see is a plus. :cheeky:

2lc21yw.jpg

Or this?

michealjackson.gif

Second one is the jaunty walk, though here it's not as jaunty as it is at its best. He needs one hand in his pocket, head in the air and a beaming smile for maximum 'jaunt'!

And oh my goodness, I'd never noticed all that movement 'below the belt' before. How did I miss that?!:swoon:

I think this could be another project: a DVD with his best dance routines from the 1968 audition to TII. Or it could be a 2-disk release: Disk 1: Documentary about him as a dancer - with professional dancers talking about him as a dancer etc., Disk 2: a collection of his best dances and routines.

This is such a good idea. Please, please let this happen!

Back