Gospel/Christian Artist (s) That Rock~~~

Check out Amy Grant. She's like the Christian version of Michael Jackson, very popular with Christians (and her music is excellent, too.)
I've been a fan of Amy's since I was very young; my Mom loved her music too, and often played it on the radio. We didn't have many of her albums, but our local Christian radio station would play her songs all the time.

I heard her tell a story once, about what happened when she got her first record contract. She was just 15 years old, and the man who would become her agent called late on a school night to inform her that he wanted to sign her to his label. While they were discussing the details, her father called out, "Its a school night, Amy - hang up the phone!" But she was so determined to be a musician, that she finished that phone call instead...and her father promptly grounded her for it. So she was stuck with only school and home for a short while, and then eventually she started working with producer Brown Bannister's label, then called Myrrh Records. They kept her under contract from 1977 until 2002, when she switched to the Word Records label.

Her most popular album to date is 1991's "Heart in Motion", which saw her cross over from traditional gospel music to a more mainstream sound. Back then, Christian labels were much more territorial, and Amy got a lot of flack for her decision. But the album produced some of her most well-known songs, including "Baby Baby", "Every Heartbeat", "That's What Love is For", and "I Will Remember You". She would release four more albums (including two Christmas-themed ones), before doing a 2002 gospel compilation called "Legacy... Hymns and Faith". Her last completely original album so far, "Tennessee Christmas", was released in 2016.

Aside from her music, Amy's personal life has suffered a few setbacks, some of them rather public. She was married to her first husband, fellow musician Gary Chapman, from 1982 to 1999; they had three kids together (Matthew, Sarah, and Gloria). About a year later, she married country singer Vince Gill; they have one child (Corrina). Regarding her marriages, Amy clarified in an interview for CCM Magazine:

"I didn't get a divorce because 'I had a great marriage and then along came Vince Gill.' Gary and I had a rocky road from day one. I think what was so hard - and this is (what) one of our counselors said - sometimes an innocent party can come into a situation, and they're like a big spotlight. What they do is reveal, by comparison, the painful dynamics that are already in existence."

In June 2020, Amy had an open-heart surgery to repair partial anomalous pulmonary venous return (PAPVR), a congenital heart condition. In 2022, she was recognized as a recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, alongside fellow honorees U2, George Clooney, Gladys Knight, and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer and conductor Tania Leon. During the course of her career, Amy has also won 6 Grammys, and 22 Dove Awards (the Christian variety). Not bad overall, for a woman of 63 years who's still determined to keep going. In 2023, she re-released her 1988 effort "Lead Me On", as a 2-CD set in celebration of the live tour's 34th anniversary.

Lastly, a small personal note - I actually got to see Amy perform, at a Christmas show she was doing with Michael W. Smith in 2016. They also shared the stage with surprise guest Jordan Smith (no relation). I loved the show, and even tried to meet Amy backstage...but the security guard stopped me, literally leaving me freezing in the cold for some time...not a good memory. But otherwise, I really enjoyed the concert, and when I can afford to go again, I plan to. :)

Last edited:
Aside from the more contemporary gospel artists, I also listened to a few traditional ones. As a teenager, my Grandma played a video for me, by a singer and songwriter named Bill Gaither. As it turned out, he'd been working full-time in Christian music since 1964. His breakthrough song was called "He Touched Me", written the previous year. He's been married to his wife Gloria since 1962, and they have three grown children. In 1980, he started the Gaither Vocal Band, a group of rotating musicians that has changed lineups every few years. Members past and present have included a great deal of Christian performers, such as Reggie Smith, Wes Hampton, Adam Crabb, Todd Suttles, Gary McSpadden, Steve Green, Lee Young, Larnelle Harris, Michael English, Jim Murray, Terry Franklin, Jonathan Pierce, Guy Penrod, David Phelps, Russ Taff, Marshal Hall, and Mark Lowry (who gained notoriety for writing the lyrics to the popular Christmas song, "Mary, Did You Know?").

In 1992, Bill expanded his musical efforts into a series of home-video concerts, dubbed the "Gaither Homecoming" series. Many of the Vocal Band's members participated, but other artists joined in as well, including older performers like The Speers, The Gatlins, Jake Hess, The Cathedrals, Howard & Vestal Goodman, Buck Rambo, Eva Mae Lefevre, James Blackwood, Hovie Lister, Jim Hill, and J.D. Sumner & The Stamps. As the years went on (and some of the elder members sadly passed away), the roster would rotate just like its parent arrangement. The total number of Homecoming artists is fairly extensive - you can find the full list here.

Together, Bill & Gloria Gaither have been the recipients of 6 Grammys, 36 Dove Awards, and various other honors. At age 88, Bill continues to stay busy - he's written four books, founded two record labels, and pursued multiple entrepreneurial efforts. Gloria is currently 82, and from 2002 to 2012, she was recognized by five different academic schools for her humanitarian efforts, and contributions to the arts. She's also written many more books than her husband, 40 in total, including 20 aimed at children.

Another high-profile Christian musician I really enjoy is Michael W. Smith, or "Smitty" as many have come to call him. When he first started in music in 1978, he had a very tough time, initially turning to alcohol and drugs. After a breakdown in November of 1979, Michael decided to recommit to Christianity. The next day, he auditioned for a new contemporary Christian music (CCM) group, Higher Ground, as a keyboardist and got the job. His lead vocals were heard on much of CCM radio with the single, "I Am". It was on his first tour with Higher Ground, playing mostly in churches, that he was finally able to put the drugs and alcohol behind him.

In 1981, while playing keyboards for Higher Ground, Smith was signed as a writer to Meadowgreen Music, where he wrote numerous gospel hits penned for artists such as Sandi Patty, Kathy Troccoli, Bill Gaither and Amy Grant, to the effect that some of these popular worship songs can now be found in church hymnals. The following year, Smith began touring as a keyboardist for Grant on her "Age to Age" tour. According to Amy, their original arrangement was "a place to sleep, a food plate, and a small amount of cash", in exchange for his joining her band.

In 1983, Michael recorded his first Grammy-nominated solo album, "The Michael W. Smith Project" (which he also produced himself), on the Reunion Records label. This album contained the first recording of his now-signature hit "Friends", which he co-wrote with his wife Deborah. By the time his second album "Michael W. Smith 2" was released in 1984, he was headlining his own tours. In 1986, he released "The Big Picture".

After the release of his 1988 effort "I 2 (EYE)", Smith once again collaborated with Grant for her "Lead Me On" world tour. The following year, Smith recorded his first Christmas album, simply titled "Christmas". Since 1990, Michael has recorded a whopping 30 more albums, including a few compilation releases, live worship efforts, and more Christmas recordings. He's also published 14 books, from 1987 to 2021. He and Deborah are the parents to five children, and as of 2015 they also have 11 grandchildren. He has been nominated for 11 Grammys, and won 3 others. He also has won 40 Dove Awards, a 1992 American Music Award, and was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2008. At age 66, he still performs multiple tours every year, including many Christmas shows with Amy Grant - the two have remained very close over the years.

Back