Have You Noticed All the Nods to MJ during the Super Bowl Halftime Show?

Re: Superbowl Half-Time show 2016 - Michael clip and Beyonce outfit

Here's a way better quality video, and without any logo ! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1QR0TpNNs

:D Yaaasssssss, 'cause that first clip posted is banned in the US and I couldn't view it (infringing on the NFL's copyrights)!!!!

Edit On this side of the Pond, (specifically in the South) there have been a few ignorant bigots commenting that Beyonce's performance and outfit was a nod to the Black Panther Party and was a symbol of being anti-white people. First of all, the original BPP wasn't about being anti-ANYTHING; it was a movement that stood up and demanded the same rights being respected of Black people that whites already enjoyed unhindered. FOH!

Last edited:
Oh I loved it. I love coldplay and they did great! Bruno mars is the absolute truth, such a talent. Beyonce slayed as usual and i got really emotional seeing the MJ footage roll by. All the nods to MJ was so heartwarming to see. After all these years they still show reverance to him. It's so amazing that a band like coldplay can share a stage together with artists like bruno mars and beyonce and totally hold down their own and be in harmony with eachother. Music is such a beautiful thing and one of the last pure things we got here on this world. All in all great performance and a great message.

CaqJac9VAAAuz5f.jpg

Plus there were some dance steps by Bruno and the whole concept of the end.

CaqRbwXWAAAKwI2.jpg

CaqRW5-XIAAwQEO.jpg

CaqRZJDXIAAN5xQ.png

CaqRWu3XIAAA1eY.jpg

^^^Great stuff there, really awesome :D So, with one strike they managed to channel not just Heal the world, but also Baby be mine.......as long as we believe in love :) How cool is that? lol

seeing the MJ footage on the superbowl the same weekend I watched the off the wall doc was def special to me..

I'm sure it was and I got this strange feeling the timing of these two was a not random happening either :)

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings with a couple of friends watching the halftime show. Listen to me when I say this I got goosebumps when Mike's part came on and the whole restaurant went crazy chanting Michaels name. It caught me by surprise

What a cool scene. I can only imagine how proud you must have been.

Oh I loved it. I love coldplay and they did great! Bruno mars is the absolute truth, such a talent. Beyonce slayed as usual and i got really emotional seeing the MJ footage roll by. All the nods to MJ was so heartwarming to see. After all these years they still show reverance to him. It's so amazing that a band like coldplay can share a stage together with artists like bruno mars and beyonce and totally hold down their own and be in harmony with eachother. Music is such a beautiful thing and one of the last pure things we got here on this world. All in all great performance and a great message.

Very, very true. I thought it was awesome as well. In between the three of them this musical consortium has some of my favorite tunes ever and also some of the most important ones in my life. I had actually thought of some of those songs the past few days forgetting they were set to perform together. I was playin' Viva la vida and enjoying it tremendously some time back, while the other day I was grinnin' from ear to ear while listening to Ego and walkin' about the city. Don't even get me started on my recent invocation of Bruno. They truly put on a great performance all of them - great energy, great colors, great message. The little nods to U2 and Prince were great also.

Here may come an unpopular opinion, it's more than obvious Beyoncé did a tribute to Michael but she looked ridiculous in that jacket. The King wore it epicly!

The best thing for me was watching his footage and the Heal The World/It's all for L.O.V.E. wink at the end. MJ's halftime show reigns supreme to me but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy others performers too. The last 2 halftime shows I cared were the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers and The Who ones, it may not had that many smoke and mirrors for some but not all the time are needed in order to give a great/memorable performances.

Yes, I noticed. But of course all these artists are influenced by him. I'm not much of a fan of Beyonce, but I liked the nods to Michael's Superbowl performance and even Rhythm Nation. Liked the montage of the half-time shows at the end too. It wasn't an amazing half-time show or anything, but it was nice.

Loved it, even if Coldplay felt like guests at their own show. Chris Martin is a massive MJ fan and the entire thing had a very MJ-esq homage feel to it. Loved Bruno Mars and Beyoncé. Fix You was emotional,especially to see James Brown and Whitney, but the clips of MJ really took it to the next level and the audience cards was brilliant. I worried for Coldplay as I didn't think they had the presence to pull it off. I'm a fan of theirs to a certain degree and own a few of their albums, truth be told the guest performers, audience participation, video tributes and the performers twisting the colourful umbrella things around all added to it. The whole MJ feel made it very enjoyable.

For those who don't know, there's this extremely popular website called Reddit where users submit content, which is then upvoted and downvoted by other users. The "Front page" (aka www.reddit.com) hosts everything that is upvoted the most. Well right now, at the top of the front page, is part of Michael's entrance to the Superbowl https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/44stoq/michael_jacksons_entrance_at_the_1993_superbowl/

What I really love is how there are literally thousands of comments in there praising Michael and how awesome he was, people sharing their experiences of this show, how special Michael was to them, discussing how he was a master of tension and magic tricks during his shows. It's a really nice read and I encourage everyone to check out the comments! ^_^

Makes me really wish he were still here and wonder how a Michael Jackson Superbowl show would look in ~2010, especially given the increase in technology and pyrotechnics.

Last edited:
Michael wore it much better and you know it! Even if she's an indisputable fan, it doesn't mean all of us MJ fans have to be Beyoncé's. If you are a fan or like her, I have no problem with that.

images

ss-130129-superbowl-halftime-20.today-ss-slide-desktop.jpg

Last edited:
Is it really something to fight about, who wore it better? Can't we all just appreciate that people pay tribute to him?

^Is it really necessary trying to shot down different opinions that happen to disagree with yours?
Huh? What does that have to do with shot down opinions? I said nothing about I agree or disagree with either of you? Thats not why i posted what i did. My opinion is irrelevant, because that wasn't even the point of my post. So try again

Michaels Lover;4133958 said:
Is it really something to fight about, who wore it better? Can't we all just appreciate that people pay tribute to him?

YES. I AM ALWAYS RIGHT AND EVERYONE MUST AGREE WITH ME.

I kid I kid :p

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4133953 said:
Michael wore it much better and you know it! Even if she's an indisputable fan, it doesn't mean all of us MJ fans have to be Beyoncé's. If you are a fan or like her, I have no problem with that.

Well I mean, I never said anyone had to be a fan of Beyoncé and you certainly don't to appreciate her fashion. On top of that, I actually never said she wore it better, just that it looked great on her :p

Thinking about it though... I think they're pretty on par. I don't really see how either is better than the other tbh, they both work really well for their respective artists.

HIStoric;4133929 said:
For those who don't know, there's this extremely popular website called Reddit where users submit content, which is then upvoted and downvoted by other users. The "Front page" (aka www.reddit.com) hosts everything that is upvoted the most. Well right now, at the top of the front page, is part of Michael's entrance to the Superbowl https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/44stoq/michael_jacksons_entrance_at_the_1993_superbowl/

It reminds me of this comment some time ago by the country group The Band Perry:

“Michael Jackson’s one of my very favorite performers of all time,” said Kimberly Perry of The Band Perry. “And actually, when we get ready to put together an ACM or a CMA Awards performance, we start by looking for Michael Jackson videos. We are always intensely inspired by his dancing but also just his presence onstage.

“You know our performance for ‘Done’ at the ACMs [in 2013]? There was this Michael video where he was starting his show, and he popped on to the stage somehow and just stood there. Now, we stood there for like five seconds for dramatic effect [during the ACM performance], but he stood there for about a minute. And the crowd was just roaring.”

“I think it got louder actually,” Neil Perry added.

“I think he’s so cool because he crossed all genre boundaries, national/international boundaries, race boundaries. Everybody was in love with this guy,” Kimberly concluded. “Just a phenomenal entertainer.”

http://www.cmt.com/news/1731142/cmt-all-time-top-40-michael-jackson/

And then you have fans here say that this was somehow childish and MJ was wrong for doing it. SMH. It really did impress people, even other musicians, how he had the pure charisma to pull it off.

I just watched it again. Gawd, Beyonce was so awesome. Then mashing it up with Bruno was perfect.

tumblr_mhor1cDsE71qdl5f4o1_400.gif

I will admit that I did not read every response to this thread (read most) and I read a lot of mentioning's of beyone nod to MJ and even read a mentioning of a nod to Janet... Are we purposely not bringing up the nod the black panthers? just wondering!

^ thanks, I was just wondering... thought it was interesting how Janet gets more mentioning lol

KOPV;4134054 said:
I will admit that I did not read every response to this thread (read most) and I read a lot of mentioning's of beyone nod to MJ and even read a mentioning of a nod to Janet... Are we purposely not bringing up the nod the black panthers? just wondering!
The nod to the black panthers certainly made every national news channel bc of Mayor Guilliani saying that her 'political statement' about 'Black Lives Matter' disrespected the police. The comments on the news feeds have been racist and idiotic.

I honestly didn't notice. I was too busy looking at her. I'm not a Beyoncé fan at all, but she looked gorgeous in that jacket.

^ yup agreed... Those who speak like that speak out of fear... It is crazy to me that in 2016 we can still have such phobia on a large scale like that.. The Black Panthers were developed more so as a 'defense' not an aggressor - but that is the way it is continuously painted.

^ yup agreed... Those who speak like that speak out of fear... It is crazy to me that in 2016 we can still have such phobia on a large scale like that.. The Black Panthers were developed more so as a 'defense' not an aggressor - but that is the way it is continuously painted.
Way too many people are speaking like that and it's scary to me. Not to mention rewriting history. Too many people spouting off on things they either don't know or care to understand.
Anyway, to me, the entire halftime was a homage to Michael's 93 show.

I was super excited to see the MJ clippings and the jacket especially when I saw the Off The Wall Doc earlier that day.. just flowed well for me

What I really love is how there are literally thousands of comments in there praising Michael and how awesome he was, people sharing their experiences of this show, how special Michael was to them, discussing how he was a master of tension and magic tricks during his shows. It's a really nice read and I encourage everyone to check out the comments! ^_^

Makes me really wish he were still here and wonder how a Michael Jackson Superbowl show would look in ~2010, especially given the increase in technology and pyrotechnics.

Great question, really great question........I'm sure it would have been out of this world. What a shame he never got to return to that stage and rock the planet again.

Gosh could you imagine if Mike could have blasted from the floor on 50th anniversary superbowl... I would have died, and forced myself to come back to life to keep watching!

Gosh could you imagine if Mike could have blasted from the floor on 50th anniversary superbowl... I would have died, and forced myself to come back to life to keep watching!

LOLOL @ your potential reaction :lol: Whenever and however it would have happened I'm sure it would have been awesome, that much is certain :D

I Loved this years halftime show, thought it was great... I loved seeing all the wonderful footage of Michael, And Queen B paying tribute with her outfit! :heart:

Back