Hollywood Tonight (Neff-U Rock Mix) leaked!

I like this version, definitely "maxi-single" worthy.

I wonder if the final version of HT will ever be released. I bet it's a million times better than Riley's crappy production. Well, I hope that for all the legit tracks from MICHAEL.

So the funky guitar in the album version is added by Teddy Riley? I always thought that was the part Neff-U contributed. Once again bravo Teddy Riley! Teddy's guitar is much better than Neff-U one (I'm not talking about guitar solo). Also that guy who plays guitar on Neff-U version is not credited on the album version. So Teddy completely dismissed guitar parts that Neff-U added and re-record different and better guitar parts. Erick Donell Walls and Eric Jackson are credited on the album version.

Indeed, Teddy's version is better than Neff-U's, but I don't like that Teddy cut "She's only 15" verse and replaced Michael's bridge with his one.

Indeed, Teddy's version is better than Neff-U's, but I don't like that Teddy cut "She's only 15" verse and replaced Michael's bridge with his one.

Absolutely agreed!

Teddy added that "smooth muted bass" that MJ asked for in his notes, he added amazing funky guitar, awesome beatboxing, beautiful strings at the end (the best part of his version) and those "Hurt"-like back vocals. Also "westbound greyhound to a tinsel town to pursue her movie star dreams" background vocals at the end. In my opinion almost all amazing things were added by Teddy and not by Neff-U.

But he ****ed up massively by including spoken bridge, "Hollywood" on repeat in the end and removing "she's only 15 line". Sacrilege! But still the best version by far.

Absolutely agreed!

Teddy added that "smooth muted bass" that MJ asked for in his notes, he added amazing funky guitar, awesome beatboxing, beautiful strings at the end (the best part of his version) and those "Hurt"-like back vocals. Also "westbound greyhound to a tinsel town to pursue her movie star dreams" background vocals at the end. In my opinion almost all amazing things were added by Teddy and not by Neff-U.

But he ****ed up massively by including spoken bridge, "Hollywood" on repeat in the end and removing "she's only 15 line". Sacrilege! But still the best version by far.
We don't know if this is Neff-U's final version though. I'd highly doubt that as it sounds very unfinished. As for the funky guitar riff, Joe Vogel in his article about Hollywood wrote that the guitar riff that's on the Teddy Riley version was retained from Neff-U's mix.

Teddy didn't add a bass btw, he just EQ'ed the hell out of the original track (I think he did the same on Burn Tonight). Makes the bass sound dreadful imo (totally lacks character).

Absolutely agreed!

We don't know if Teddy actually produced/added any of those things remember Neff-U produced 2 versions of this song and the one we have is so early in production, its hard to judge. The Guitar Riff was Neff-U's from a more finalized mix. We also don't know if Teddy produced those strings at the end of his mix, it was probably Neff-U who did them, as they are present in the throwback mix. Same goes for the "Westbound" lines, Teddy actually screwed that vocal in the 2nd verse anyhow. Plus the "Smooth Muted" Bass is present here in this mix, the Demo and the Throwback mix, thats the bassline MJ chose, Teddy didn't add any new Bassline, he simply EQ'd the high end out of this bassline, resulting in it sounding poor. Also Teddys mix is full of "digital noise" left over in the wide channels from his "extracting" and "EQ'ing".

Evidence suggests Teddy just plowed everything he was given into Presonus Studio One and hit up "Generic Remix" mode, resulting in a mix so poor, in hindsight probably wouldn't of made the album if the Estate and Sony had a bit more time.

We don't know if this is Neff-U's final version though. I'd highly doubt that as it sounds very unfinished. As for the funky guitar riff, Joe Vogel in his article about Hollywood wrote that the guitar riff that's on the Teddy Riley version was retained from Neff-U's mix.

Teddy didn't add a bass btw, he just EQ'ed the hell out of the original track (I think he did the same on Burn Tonight). Makes the bass sound dreadful imo (totally lacks character).

This ^^ xD

We don't know if Teddy actually produced/added any of those things remember Neff-U produced 2 versions of this song and the one we have is so early in production, its hard to judge. The Guitar Riff was Neff-U's from a more finalized mix. We also don't know if Teddy produced those strings at the end of his mix, it was probably Neff-U who did them, as they are present in the throwback mix. Same goes for the "Westbound" lines, Teddy actually screwed that vocal in the 2nd verse anyhow. Plus the "Smooth Muted" Bass is present here in this mix, the Demo and the Throwback mix, thats the bassline MJ chose, Teddy didn't add any new Bassline, he simply EQ'd the high end out of this bassline, resulting in it sounding poor. Also Teddys mix is full of "digital noise" left over in the wide channels from his "extracting" and "EQ'ing".

Evidence suggests Teddy just plowed everything he was given into Presonus Studio One and hit up "Generic Remix" mode, resulting in a mix so poor, in hindsight probably wouldn't of made the album if the Estate and Sony had a bit more time.

I couldn't disagree more. But it's all about opinions and tastes in music. I think his mix is superb (except for Taryll Jackson). Remove his vocals, add the missing line and you have a perfect version.

We also don't know if this version is Neff-U final version or "early in production" because the guitar player who leaked it said (wrote) that it is the final version!

I couldn't disagree more. But it's all about opinions and tastes in music. I think his mix is superb (except for Taryll Jackson). Remove his vocals, add the missing line and you have a perfect version.

Man its all about the bassline, dontcha love that "growl" in the bass from the original :D

We also don't know if this version is Neff-U final version or "early in production" because the guitar player who leaked it said (wrote) that it is the final version!

He has named it lots of different things, where was the "Final version" from, I know someone ripped the audio and uploaded it with that title, but Ace called this "V2" and "Rock Mix" buts its quite clear by listening the track was either the final version scrapped at this point, or an early mix. Neff-U did 2 mixes though, maybe this was the early one, I have been told by someone who has heard his final mix, this is definately not it.

Man its all about the bassline, dontcha love that "growl" in the bass from the original :D

I love it. But as a complete song I prefer Teddy's mix. It's on my regular MJ playlist.

He has named it lots of different things, where was the "Final version" from, I know someone ripped the audio and uploaded it with that title, but Ace called this "V2" and "Rock Mix" buts its quite clear by listening the track was either the final version scrapped at this point, or an early mix. Neff-U did 2 mixes though, maybe this was the early one, I have been told by someone who has heard his final mix, this is definately not it.

It sounds like an early mix to me too. I would love to hear Neff-U's final 2 mixes. Then we could judge.

HT is actually the most played song between 2010 - 2012 for me lol. easily.
when the demo leaked this year, i felt like a kid on christmas getting a new mj album :p.

teddys mix might not be perfect (stupid bridge), but it sounds so finished and the vocals are fuller.
the video mix was awful, so i dont understand why they didnt use that rock mix at least...

If they released the album version with the video the song would have had much bigger success. I'll never understand why they did that Billie Jean mix for the video. Doesn't make any sense.

If they released the album version with the video the song would have had much bigger success. I'll never understand why they did that Billie Jean mix for the video. Doesn't make any sense.

I hear a lot of bad stuff about that Throwback remix, but it did remove that awful sproken part we all disliked and it made the song more funky and more 'raw'. And not to forget (since many people seem to do), take a listen to the instrumental of the throwback mix. It's pure genius. I'm definitely glad they released that version. No autotune vocals either.

I hear a lot of bad stuff about that Throwback remix, but it did remove that awful sproken part we all disliked and it made the song more funky and more 'raw'. And not to forget (since many people seem to do), take a listen to the instrumental of the throwback mix. It's pure genius. I'm definitely glad they released that version. No autotune vocals either.

But Billie Jean drums killed it for me. Totally unnecessary.

But Billie Jean drums killed it for me. Totally unnecessary.

Yeah MJ asked Michael Prince to put some Billie Jean-esque drums on the track. To the lazy producers mind mixing this song, that translates to "sample Billie Jean".

I also think Teddy's mix is crap. I actually find it hard to listen to it. It sounds rushed. I listen to the demo and this mix. And didn't a snippet of the final version of the rock mix get leaked? It has a lot of guitar in it lol.

Last edited:
Yeah MJ asked Michael Prince to put some Billie Jean-esque drums on the track. To the lazy producers mind mixing this song, that translates to "sample Billie Jean".

I agree, but it is just a remix, not the album version. I think they intentionally sampled BJ.

I agree, but it is just a remix, not the album version. I think they intentionally sampled BJ.

Yes they did intentionally sample them, but that's because of a lack of creativity, this song isn't the album version but certainly replaced the album version as the favored mix, if it was completed prior to release, this version would have been on the album.

this version do not sounds like a complete one
i think sth is missing...

Back