Hollywood Tonight - remixes

correct :)

sadly, they the best remixes weren't chosen as some of them were brilliant...

Where are the sources fro Blood On The Dancefloor, I know it is true, just like to see this interview, about the EP etc

It doesn't really matter whether MJ liked remixes or not. He wasn't right about everything, and everybody has to do things they don't like as part of their job. That's life. Remixes can boost a song's profile sky high if a good one takes off in the clubs.

What do you mean?! Of course Michael was right about everything, it's his work, and no one has to do anything if not agreed..

He didn't 'hate' the remixes on BOTDF album, he wasn't interested , the decision was made my Sony and MJ gave the OK, he actually wanted to release BODF as an EP at first but Sony refused and wanted a whole album, so they came up with the Remixes idea and he agreed.

What?!! Really? I can't believe that, the way they were still vetoing the biggest pop star in the world like that at that stage of his career. What did they want the crummy remixes for? They give BOTDF a confused character, distract attention unfairly from the five new songs and aren't even that good - only the 2 Bad remix improves on the original IMO, almost all of the rest of them are neither-here-nor-there for me. A 5-track EP would've been wonderfully focussed. It might've even sold closer to MJ's usual studio album numbers without the public at large mistaking it for a mere remix album.

Anyway, to veer back on topic, I love the Throwback mix. I'm just waiting to see now what we'll get on the UK CD single before choosing whether to buy it or download... IF we get one.

I didn't mean Michael hated remixes in overall and I was talking about HIStory the song and its single remixes. Somehow I think everything around compiling BOTDF wasn't up to Michael because almost everything else than Ghosts was kinda weird and Michael didn't seem that interested. He hardly even performed Blood On The Dance Floor. It looked like BOTDF was more like Sony's stupid decision to promote Michael's tour. I think it was stupid because you can't promote tours of Michael-like artist with already huge catalog with something like that. And with something that doesn't even look like the artist himself..

I actually saw him perform BOTDF three times in Europe, and I think he also performs it during the HISstory tour that was taped once. Regarding the other songs on BOTDF (and this is of course an opinion), I think that Morphine and Is it Scary are two of his best songs ever. I prefer Is it Scary over Ghosts anythime. I always thought that Ghosts was "safe", commercial wise, while the hooks and lyrics in Scary are much more interesting and dangerous. But that is just my opinion.

Regarding mixes; I remember that already during Bad you could buy 12"remixes of each single. They were frequently played in clubs. I alone have several of these in my basement. I think he also had some remixes during his Thriller years. It was common practice then to boost single sales... (Instead of b-sides, which Michael never did, except during Invincible.)

Ps: Michael Jackson's relationship with Sony was always ambigious to say the least... Until his ordael with Invincible and the relationship with Sony after that. It was always fragile it seems.

Ps: Michael Jackson's relationship with Sony was always ambigious to say the least... Until his ordael with Invincible and the relationship with Sony after that. It was always fragile it seems.

I will disagree with this, Michael and Sony's relationship was beneficial to both parties up until Invincible. Sony had no problem pulling out all the stops when promoting Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory. BODTF was promoted through clubs, and HWT so there wasn't any need for Sony to spend any money. The issues really began with Motolla and Invincible due to the lack of promotion, and the issue of creative control (YRMW vs Unbreakable, etc).

Michael and Sony had never had any issues related to money prior to that. All their issues were about creative input and release dates.

The only issues I can eve think of prior to 2001 would be the original plans for the Decade album but I'm sure Sony was more than happy to get a full album rather than a greatest hits collection which is really opposite of what happened with BODTF in someways.

Sony dropped the ball big time on Invincible. Michael could have appeared in Sony video games, there could have been tie ins Sony films, they didn't even advertise Invincible during the 30th Anniversary Shows!

There's a reason we saw Michael doing so many interviews, and PR moves during that period and it was because of Sony's lack of promotion for him.

I will disagree with this, Michael and Sony's relationship was beneficial to both parties up until Invincible. Sony had no problem pulling out all the stops when promoting Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory. BODTF was promoted through clubs, and HWT so there wasn't any need for Sony to spend any money. The issues really began with Motolla and Invincible due to the lack of promotion, and the issue of creative control (YRMW vs Unbreakable, etc).

Michael and Sony had never had any issues related to money prior to that. All their issues were about creative input and release dates.

The only issues I can eve think of prior to 2001 would be the original plans for the Decade album but I'm sure Sony was more than happy to get a full album rather than a greatest hits collection which is really opposite of what happened with BODTF in someways.

Sony dropped the ball big time on Invincible. Michael could have appeared in Sony video games, there could have been tie ins Sony films, they didn't even advertise Invincible during the 30th Anniversary Shows!

There's a reason we saw Michael doing so many interviews, and PR moves during that period and it was because of Sony's lack of promotion for him.

Well, I guess we agree to disagree then. To me, and I am of course just an observer on the side (just like any other fan), the relationship between Michael and Sony seemed a bit contrived after 1995 or so. (I am not even sure if they truly stood behind his new music direction in 1991.) Just a comparison: Thriller had 7 single releases out of a 9 songs album and lots of promotion, Bad had 9 single releases out of a 10 song album (counting the vinyl album, 11 songs if you count the CD), with lots of promotion. Dangerous had 9 single releases out of a 14 song album with lots of promotion. Hisory had five single releases from a 15 song album. There is a big jump in just two years from 9 single releases to 5, while there were still jewels on the album (Little Susie, History, 2Bad) that could have easily be made singles and increased album sales.

Now that all said however, I was never a fan of the commercial side of things, and I cared less (to be honest) of sales. I just remember being 12 (during Thriller) and waiting for the new Michael Jackson Video(!) which was back then quite a big thing. The excitement, the buzz. This became less and less over the years. (Or maybe I got older, that could be too.) And completly dissapeared during Invincible. I always felt that things changed after Dangerous. For me the big songs are ironically the songs that never made the Billboard: Little Susie, Morphine, Is it Scary, Butterflies, Speechless', 2000 watts - masterpieces!!!, and all could have easily turned into "short movies". Unfortunately the powers that be decided not to do so... Which is in the end a shame...

Last edited:
What?!! Really? I can't believe that, the way they were still vetoing the biggest pop star in the world like that at that stage of his career. What did they want the crummy remixes for? They give BOTDF a confused character, distract attention unfairly from the five new songs and aren't even that good - only the 2 Bad remix improves on the original IMO, almost all of the rest of them are neither-here-nor-there for me. A 5-track EP would've been wonderfully focussed. It might've even sold closer to MJ's usual studio album numbers without the public at large mistaking it for a mere remix album.

Anyway, to veer back on topic, I love the Throwback mix. I'm just waiting to see now what we'll get on the UK CD single before choosing whether to buy it or download... IF we get one.

Unfortunatly in the end, it is not just the music in the music biz, but also contract obligations. Sometimes the artist doesn't stand behind what the record label gives out, they compromise or try to undo damage. Happens many, many times. I agree with your comment about the EP however; would have made BOTDF much better...

Just recieved my HT CD single and the HT/BTM 7" single.

The HT single is the german version with only 2 songs. - I have also ordered the korean version with more mixes, can't wait to recieve it.

Back