If MJ was like Prince...

I think there are songs on History and Invincible that say "all instruments Michael Jackson"

Even if Michael could play all those instruments, I don't think much would've changed outside of him most likely being sole producer.

Michael was about quality work not quantity.

Prince also wrote songs for other artists, some of them very successful like "Manic Monday" for The Bangles.
I don't understand why Michael never cared about writing songs for other artists. I know he did it sometimes, like "Muscles" for Diana Ross but he isn't recognized like a great songwriter like Prince.

I also am not familiar enough with Prince other than his hits or how many songs he wrote for other artists, Michael wrote at least 7 including, Joy by Blackstreet, which I don't know if is on this list:

Im glad mj wasnt like prince mike was unique one of a kind
Right! Its similiar to what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Try turning it around and ask, What If Prince Was Like Michael Jackson?

My answer to that is, Prince might find himself in trouble!

What say anyone else I wonder ..

Right! Its similiar to what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Try turning it around and ask, What If Prince Was Like Michael Jackson?

My answer to that is, Prince might find himself in trouble!

What say anyone else I wonder ..
they both had special qualities in different ways

If Michael played all the instruments in the world, and Prince had to use his vocal abilities to convey music like Michael, I don't see it for Prince becoming the hit sensation.

The 5.1 mix would change the original sound of the 'Thriller' album, and that thing apparently turned them off from it.

Also, that 5.1 mix project was in the midst of the feud between Michael Jackson and Sony, which did not help for its materialization.

In any case, American mixing/sound engineer Mick Guzauski in 2004 was about to resume his work on mixing the 'Thriller' album in 5.1, but 2 hours later the news of the Neverland Ranch raid broke out, which put an end to this for good.

Prince also wrote songs for other artists, some of them very successful like "Manic Monday" for The Bangles.
I don't understand why Michael never cared about writing songs for other artists. I know he did it sometimes, like "Muscles" for Diana Ross but he isn't recognized like a great songwriter like Prince
One minor issue I have with Prince writing for other artists is the songs sound like him. Songs for The Time sound like songs for Vanity 6 that sound like songs for Sheila that sound like songs for Prince.

With Michael, he took his time really crafting songs. I don't think he would've been spewing out songs like that for artists

Tbh, I don't understand the question. No offence to Mr JT but no way Michael could have run his career like Prince. When Prince was young and spending all that time learning his instruments Michael was already working as a professional. Recording, touring, doing endless tv appearances, endless interviews and photo shoots, perfecting his dance skills. When would he have had the time for learning 2 dozen musical instruments?

But I'm probably being too literal 🙄 plus BAnon makes a good point:
One minor issue I have with Prince writing for other artists is the songs sound like him. Songs for The Time sound like songs for Vanity 6 that sound like songs for Sheila that sound like songs for Prince.

With Michael, he took his time really crafting songs. I don't think he would've been spewing out songs like that for artists
This is different to how Prince worked on songs in the studio. Peggy MacCreary and Susan Rogers - studio engineers who worked with Prince for many years - are both on record as saying if Prince had spent more time improving his songs and / or had collaborated more with other people he would have produced work that was even more awesome. They are not criticising him and they are both on record acknowledging him as a genius whose work they love. They are simply pointing out ways in which he could have been even better. Susan Rogers did an interview where she specifically points out that Prince wasn't aiming for perfection in the way that Michael was. She makes it clear that it is just two different ways of achieving greatness in your work.

Clearly, Prince wasn't sloppy in the studio. But once a song was good enough he moved on to the next one.

This thread is ancient. I don't even remember making it.

Michael and Prince had entirely different work ethics and they each worked excellently for them. They just do not overlap in many ways really, which makes you wonder why they're compared so often... Just timing I guess.

If MJ was like Prince... the Estate wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
Tbh, I don't understand the question. No offence to Mr JT but no way Michael could have run his career like Prince. When Prince was young and spending all that time learning his instruments Michael was already working as a professional. Recording, touring, doing endless tv appearances, endless interviews and photo shoots, perfecting his dance skills. When would he have had the time for learning 2 dozen musical instruments?

But I'm probably being too literal 🙄 plus BAnon makes a good point:

This is different to how Prince worked on songs in the studio. Peggy MacCreary and Susan Rogers - studio engineers who worked with Prince for many years - are both on record as saying if Prince had spent more time improving his songs and / or had collaborated more with other people he would have produced work that was even more awesome. They are not criticising him and they are both on record acknowledging him as a genius whose work they love. They are simply pointing out ways in which he could have been even better. Susan Rogers did an interview where she specifically points out that Prince wasn't aiming for perfection in the way that Michael was. She makes it clear that it is just two different ways of achieving greatness in your work.

Clearly, Prince wasn't sloppy in the studio. But once a song was good enough he moved on to the next one.
It's crazy that Prince has literally dozens of unreleased albums that are all complete compared to what Michael left behind.

A difference I see in what you posted is Prince was heavily focused on completing a song while Michael would be in the middle of a song and once he gets a new idea, he discards the current song he was working on. That could explain why Michael's songs tend to be unfinished lyrically with a clear chorus.

Last edited:
I know this ain't the original meaning of the thread, but Michael and Prince shared lots of stuff. Like the 7 symbolism. And writing sexual innuendos using some Bible quote ijbol. But seriously, they got more in common than the surface reveals i think.

Prince would get into a funk and pop new music up left and right, he'd be possessed by a female alter ego and would record an album while possessed. I guess Michael didn't have that proclivity. And Prince was trained as a classic musician, Michael did music in his own different way.

Anyways, if Michael had the same vault in quantity, the estate still wouldn't release anything anyway lol.

How about being background vocals to other artists’ songs? Prince provided backing vocals for other artists (like Madonna’s Love Song from her Like A Prayer album). Michael sometimes provided backing vocals - like in Why by his nephews 3T, and a song for either Brandy or Monica.

How about being background vocals to other artists’ songs? Prince provided backing vocals for other artists (like Madonna’s Love Song from her Like A Prayer album). Michael sometimes provided backing vocals - like in Why by his nephews 3T, and a song for either Brandy or Monica.
Yeah he did do that a lot. He left his vocals on a lotta songs.

Back