Invincible appreciation thread

I remember when "Invincible" first hit shelves, and I was super-excited about it. I'd been a fan of Michael's music for 13 years by then, and was eager to hear this newest effort. I went into a local Blockbuster Music store (remember those?), put on a pair of headphones, and heard the first track, "Unbreakable". Within seconds, I was grinning ear to ear, with only one thought on my mind: "the King is back." My ex-girlfriend bought me the album for Christmas that year, and to this day, it still plays perfectly. My favorite tracks are the aforementioned "Unbreakable", "Break of Dawn", "Heaven Can Wait", "You Rock My World", "Speechless", "You Are My Life", and "Privacy".

I STILL love Invincible. I remember Michael gaining NEW fans with this album. People were buying this album when they hadn't bought a Michael album in years. R&B radio Played Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn and YRMW every day. DJ's loved these songs. IMO, these were some of Michael's sexiest songs ever. Michael was holding nothing back on this album. If Sony hadn't sabotaged Invincible it would have been massive. This album is still in my car CD player and I love basically every single song. I hope that the Estate does a project with this album.

My ex-girlfriend bought me the album for Christmas that year, and to this day, it still plays perfectly.

I had just turned 14 and was finally old enough to consider myself a part of the fandom (thanks MSG show and the rise of the fanboard.) My bestie at the time (who was in no way shape or form an MJ fan) bought it for me. Still plays perfectly (along with my Dangerous CD passed down from my Mum that we've had since 91.) I admit I don't break it out as often as I used to, but I will never ever tire of Threatened. When I heard it in TII I flipped my lid :)

Re: What you think about invincible album?

Invincible is my least favorite album. But I still enjoy it

Oh lord, you must be new here?

11363923_805612002892638_2123511194_n.jpg

Criminally underrated in fan community. Amazing record. Not his greatest though. Production on the album is blissful. One of the best produced albums is MJ's discography (probably the best after HIStory). Some of the best MJ vocal performances ever. The biggest flaw of this album is the number of "album tracks" (weaker tracks not strong enough to be released as singles and stand on their own). This flaw could have been solved if MJ decided to cut down the number of tracks on the album to 12. The album starts great but after the 8th track (Speechless) the album starts to become little boring (one of the reasons, among others, is too many ballads). This could have also been solved if MJ continued to work on some of the tracks from early Invincible sessions (A Place With No Name, Chicago, Xscape, Hollywood Tonight). The last two songs on the album are again great, some of the best on the album (especially Whatever Happens). Sony's decision to stop albums promotion, cancellation of Butterflies single release and also a weird choice for the second single (Cry??) definitely killed this album and its every chance to ever become a classic.

Strongest tracks: You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, Whatever Happens, Unbreakable, Heaven Can Wait
Weakest tracks: Privacy, Cry, The Lost Children, You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, 2000 Watts

Grade: 4/5

Invincible is massively under rated. If MJ had released this album earlier in his career, it would have broke records.

Granted its not up there with Thriller and Bad, but not far off History. Fav track: Butterlies

the way you treat me

Hey man if I offended you in any way i'm truly sorry. It has nothing to do with you ,( I honestly didn't even know you were new as i'm sitting on taptalk), it's just every month or so we have a thread about Invincible. That's a bad ass picture, but not necessary in here, I'm not your enemy.

In my honest opinion, "Invincible" is a vastly under-appreciated effort from Michael...perhaps even the most derided overall. Personally, I place a large amount of the blame on Sony, since for whatever reason they failed to promote it on par with their other artists. Back in 2001, I remember people chatting more about Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, completely clueless that Michael was still making music. Everyone seemed to have deemed him a "has-been", aside from other longtime fans like me.

I think I first learned of "Invincible" a couple of months before its release, and listened to "Unbreakable" at a Blockbuster Music store (remember those?) Halfway through the song, I was smiling ear-to-ear with one thought on my mind..."the King is back". I still have my original copy, and its still plays perfectly after more than 14 years.

Even though I still play it every once in a blue moon, Invincible's my least favourite Michael Jackson album and probably the least "MJ feeling" album he has. I'd probably give it around the 3/5 mark.

What I find most interesting about it is that just about every unreleased Invincible Era song that made the Xscape album was miles better than what made the cut for Invincible.

In saying that though, Threatened is an absolute masterpiece in it's own right. I listened to some of the leaked multitrack stems (sadly only snippets, but hey better than nothing) and the part I was least amazed by was Michael's vocals, now obviously Michael gives great vocals (I'm not dissing them if you're interpreting it that way) so what does that tell you about the song? Exactly ;)

Oh how I wish that song had a music video.

HIStoric;4131644 said:
Even though I still play it every once in a blue moon, Invincible's my least favourite Michael Jackson album and probably the least "MJ feeling" album he has. I'd probably give it around the 3/5 mark.

What I find most interesting about it is that just about every unreleased Invincible Era song that made the Xscape album was miles better than what made the cut for Invincible.

In fact, ‘Invincible’ had two different track listings that belonged to two different recording periods (1998 – 2000 & 2000 – 2001).

The first track listing (that was recorded in 1998 – 2000) was about to be a very soulful album, full of great melodies, nice hooks & passionate vocals. If it was released with the first track listing, it would have been among his best studio albums (if not his best).

The sound & direction of his upcoming album was meant to be totally different as opposed to the official version.

So, at one point, ‘Invincible' was about to include also the following tracks, & Bruce Swedien was about to begin the crucial process of mixing them (2000):

‘Speechless’
‘A Place With No Name’
‘Cry’
‘She Was Loving Me’
‘Xscape’
‘You Rock My World’
‘Break Of Dawn’
‘Blue Gangsta’
‘We’ve Had Enough’

Also, the first time that MJ heard an early, demo version of 'Xscape’ was overjoyed by it & he immediately demanded that sound direction for his new album. The thing that amazes me most is that this track was eventually left out of ‘Invincible’.

moonwalker100;4131589 said:
Invincible is massively under rated. If MJ had released this album earlier in his career, it would have broke records.

Granted its not up there with Thriller and Bad, but not far off History. Fav track: Butterlies

Moonwalker100, I do agree with you, somewhat. “Invincible” is not Michael’s best work, but it’s not his worst, either. I don’t think he ever had put out a really terrible “worst” album - one that actually, absolutely stunk and was no good, as far as the vocals, the musical arrangements, the songwriting, etc., were/are concerned - or songs, for that matter, all throughout his career. [SIZR="1"]Butterflies,” in terms of him using his Vocal Range and his voice prowess alone - for a man in his Early-40’s at the time he recorded and released the album, no less - I would consider one of his greatest, most beautiful songs of ALL time. Yes, indeed!!! 😊❤❤

GGVVGGCC22331122;4131675 said:
Moonwalker100, I do agree with you, somewhat. “Invincible” is not Michael’s best work, but it’s not his worst, either. I don’t think he ever had put out a really terrible “worst” album - one that actually, absolutely stunk and was no good, as far as the vocals, the musical arrangements, the songwriting, etc., were/are concerned - or songs, for that matter, all throughout his career. Butterflies,” in terms of him using his Vocal Range and his voice prowess alone - for a man in his Early-40’s at the time he recorded and released the album, no less - I would consider one of his greatest, most beautiful songs of ALL time. Yes, indeed!!! So is Speechless[COLOR]. That song is beautiful, too.

I tend to like and prefer his ballads, over his much faster, more up-tempo songs.
😊❤❤

Speechless” is another beautiful song as well. As are, “You Rock My World,” “Unbreakable,” “Heaven Can Wait” and “Cry” (another song that has some great lyrics, like “Butterflies” has great vocals, though Michael didn’t write nor compose it, himself).

Still, the “Invincible” album, in my honest opinion, is way better than a lot of what was released at that time, during the Early-2000’s. What do you think about this, Moonwalker100? Do you agree, or not?

Moonwalker100, I do agree with you, somewhat. “Invincible” is not Michael’s best work, but it’s not his worst, either. I don’t think he ever had put out a really terrible “worst” album - one that actually, absolutely stunk and was no good, as far as the vocals, the musical arrangements, the songwriting, etc., were/are concerned - or songs, for that matter, all throughout his career. Butterflies,” in terms of him using his Vocal Range and his voice prowess alone - for a man in his Early-40’s at the time he recorded and released the album, no less - I would consider one of his greatest, most beautiful songs of ALL time. Yes, indeed!!! So is Speechless. That song is beautiful, too.

I tend to like and prefer his ballads, over his much faster, more up-tempo songs.
😊❤❤

Speechless” is another beautiful song as well. As are, “You Rock My World,” “Unbreakable,” “Heaven Can Wait” and “Cry” (another song that has some great lyrics, like “Butterflies” has great vocals, though Michael didn’t write nor compose it, himself).

Still, the “Invincible” album, in my honest opinion, is way better than a lot of what was released at that time, during the Early-2000’s. What do you think about this, Moonwalker100? Do you agree, or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonwalker100, I do agree with you, somewhat. “Invincible” is not Michael’s best work, but it’s not his worst, either. I don’t think he ever had put out a really terrible “worst” album - one that actually, absolutely stunk and was no good, as far as the vocals, the musical arrangements, the songwriting, etc., were/are concerned - or songs, for that matter, all throughout his career. [SIZR="1"]“Butterflies,” in terms of him using his Vocal Range and his voice prowess alone - for a man in his Early-40’s at the time he recorded and released the album, no less - I would consider one of his greatest, most beautiful songs of ALL time. Yes, indeed!!! ❤❤

“Speechless” is another beautiful song as well. As are, “You Rock My World,” “Unbreakable,” “Heaven Can Wait” and “Cry” (another song that has some great lyrics, like “Butterflies” has great vocals, though Michael didn’t write nor compose it, himself).

“Speechless” is another beautiful song as well. As are, “You Rock My World,” “Unbreakable,” “Heaven Can Wait” and “Cry” (another song that has some great lyrics, like “Butterflies” has great vocals, though Michael didn’t write nor compose it, himself).

Welcome to the board, but for the love of god please change your font.

I've always liked Invincible. Don't Walk Away, Threatened, Whatever Happens, Break Of Dawn, YRMW and Heaven Can Wait are my favorites in the album. I bought it probably 5 years ago, and I remember I heard it every day and was amazed with the difference between this album and his previous ones.

innuendo141;4131687 said:
Welcome to the board, but for the love of god please change your font.
Thanks, Innuendo. But, my writing style just is what it is. I’m sorry if you don’t quite understand it. I do hope to keep posting comments, on subject matter in threads that interest me.

GGVVGGCC22331122;4131706 said:
Thanks, Innuendo. But, my writing style just is what it is. I’m sorry if you don’t quite understand it. I do hope to keep posting comments, on subject matter in threads that interest me.

That seems like a really hard username to remember but hey, welcome to the board

Themidwestcowboy;4131734 said:
That seems like a really hard username to remember but hey, welcome to the board
Thanks. I’m really going to enjoy posting comments on this board. Especially, if there are threads pertaining to one of my most favorite topics - Michael’s singing voice, and how beautiful it sounded, throughout his career.

Though I still consider Invincible to be MJ's weakest album, I have recently began to appreciate it a lot more. All 16 tracks (excluding 2000 Watts, which is still good btw) have that Michael Jackson magic to them that was present on all his other albums. Although, ironically he named it after one of the weaker tracks on the album. But overall, I like everything from the futuristic sound of Heartbreaker to the simple ballad of Speechless. Invincible is an album I can listen to when I just want to relax and feel good about the world.

One of my favourite songs is Unbreakable. I listen to that every time I need an added boost of strength. Also Speechelss and Break of Dawn. His vocals are sublime. I'd love to see an analysis of the album as I've seen for Dangerous, since he said people wouldn't get the album right away but would in 10 years. So perhaps he had an intention with the album we just don't know about yet.

Back