Is Earth Song Michael's MOST powerful song?

How? - it does have 3 parts doesn't it? Quiet beginnig, the middle section and then the grand finale where MJ screams addlibs

Do you have a source?

"Jackson originally conceived of "Earth Song" as a trilogy (similar to "Will You Be There"), comprised of a modern orchestral piece, the main song, and then a spoken poem (later released as "Planet Earth). In total, it would have been over thirteen minutes long." Joe Vogel "Earth Song:Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus"

"Jackson originally conceived of "Earth Song" as a trilogy (similar to "Will You Be There"), comprised of a modern orchestral piece, the main song, and then a spoken poem (later released as "Planet Earth). In total, it would have been over thirteen minutes long." Joe Vogel "Earth Song:Inside Michael Jackson's Magnum Opus"

Thanks. - I actually think it works best the way it was released. - BUT Earth Song was released as a single - they could have released is there. Would have been cool.
And would have been very nice to hear MJ's original idea.

I listened to the Immortal version of Earth Song and I just LOOVVEEE how you hear his voice trail off as he sings "We've drifted A-FAR-HA!!!" near the end. UGH. So good!! I had to repeat that part a few times.

I listened to the Immortal version of Earth Song and I just LOOVVEEE how you hear his voice trail off as he sings "We've drifted A-FAR-HA!!!" near the end. UGH. So good!! I had to repeat that part a few times.

Oh, I'll have to listen to that again! :)

comprised of a modern orchestral piece, the main song, and then a spoken poem (later released as "Planet Earth)

Do we know if this modern orchestral piece exists?

I would love to hear the whole trilogy. Must be amazing. :wub:

Do we know if this modern orchestral piece exists?

I would love to hear the whole trilogy. Must be amazing

I don't know and I don't think it's mentioned in Joe's book either. Of course the song is perfect as it is already, but I'm just curious about how it would've sounded, as I'm curious about other orchestral music he left.

Question is when are we going to get the Pitbull Dubstep Remix? Perfect reason to release HIStory 25 I'd say

Question is when are we going to get the Pitbull Dubstep Remix? Perfect reason to release HIStory 25 I'd say

I know this is a sarcastic post but after the butchering Pitbull did with Bad remix, they should keep him far away from any MJ related project. I don't think HIStory 25 will happen. If Dangerous 25 didn't happen, I don't think HIStory 25 will happen.

I know this is a sarcastic post but after the butchering Pitbull did with Bad remix, they should keep him far away from any MJ related project. I don't think HIStory 25 will happen. If Dangerous 25 didn't happen, I don't think HIStory 25 will happen.

Yeah, it would be oddly inconsistent. If there's going to be an anniversary re-release, I have my doubts that it'll be be under the '25' brand.

Pitbull is one of the worst things that happen to pop music

Earth song's power level is OVER 9000!!!

Vegeta listening to Earth Song.
tenor.gif

It was so powerful that he died and had to be wished back via Shenron.

Yaaaaaas!
I love that part of the Immortal version too.
It's so emotional.
12096472_fantasia-barrino--anthony-hamilton-at-odds_t12a15f7f.gif

raw

I don't know and I don't think it's mentioned in Joe's book either. Of course the song is perfect as it is already, but I'm just curious about how it would've sounded, as I'm curious about other orchestral music he left.
No, I can't remember it being mentioned in the book either. But I so would love to hear it.
I agree, the song is perfect as it is. But it would be nice to listen to the trilogy.

My favourite Earth Song performance will always be the Brunei (Royal Concert) one. Those ad libs are from another world.

Oh and I so would love to hear his classical pieces. Must feel like heaven. :wub:

I didn't know Earth song was inspired by the movie "The Emerald Forrest" (1985).

Reactions: MJ5
One of the best songs of the 90s. Very powerful.

Still not as long as this version.

For me Michael's most powerful song would be Man In The Mirror but Earth Song is a close second.
yes, i agree. i cant choose between those two and heal the world. mitm, earth song, and htw are messages that almost everyone can relate to around the globe. although other songs like tdcau or tabloid junkie have amazing symbolic meanings, mitm, earth song, and heal the world adresses everyone, and everyone can learn from them. those three songs have the most impactful messages from his discography. i also forgot about human nature!

Last edited:
I'll say at the very least one of the most under rated songs that was released with a supporting video for it... Many many people in the U.S. never even are aware of the song.
i know! it is such a shame because it has a beautiful meaning that everyone can learn from and heal the world with... i wish everyone would listen to him because he is so wise :( although i KNOW the allegations are fake, what ever happened to: "judge the art, not the artist"?

I think We Are The World, Man in the Mirror, Heal The World, and Earth Song all flow together very well. MITM and ES rise to the top of course.

Human Nature though, that one's very powerful.

I'd love to see footage of Michael in the studio recording the song
I'd love to! It's interesting as there are vocal parts of the 1989 demos that were in the final mix in 1994!

Does anyone know roughly the timeline of this song?

Guy Pratt said he was called to record bass on it in 1989. Song was started during Bad Tour. Was worked on Dangerous sessions. Very final vocal recorded during History sessions.

Is that right? Does anyone have a more precise.timwlime for this song?

In my opinion, Michael’s vocals during the “What About Us” section is indeed one of his most powerful deliveries. Another one such is in the bridge of Blood on the Dance Floor.

But I just realized, that’s not what the thread is asking for. Most powerful song? Well, what’s ‘powerful’? It can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I'd love to! It's interesting as there are vocal parts of the 1989 demos that were in the final mix in 1994!

Does anyone know roughly the timeline of this song?

Guy Pratt said he was called to record bass on it in 1989. Song was started during Bad Tour. Was worked on Dangerous sessions. Very final vocal recorded during History sessions.

Is that right? Does anyone have a more precise.timwlime for this song?
the songs roots were laid down in 1986. The song as it has been released in 1995 was pretty much completed in 1989 - except the adlibs were rerecorded in early 1995. Chech out this post (and follwing)

I've read it was written in a hotel in Vienna 1988
Yep, Michael wrote the lyrics while touring accross Europe. Bill probably handed him a tape with an instrumental sketch when he was back in the US after he finished the 1st leg of bwt

Back