Is Invincible a good album ?

Is Invincible a Good Album

• Yes

Votes: 306 92.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 7.6%

• Total voters
Heck yeah, my favourite one that Mike did.

Love playing You Rock My World full blast with bass, that's how it's done.

One thing i didn't like about Invincible was that it didn't have that classic Michael Jackson feel to it. Some songs did like Unbreakable, You Rock My World and Threatened, but for the most part the album don't feel very michaelish to me.

Now i know that people will say ''He was trying something different'' but he tries something different with every album HIStory sounds nothing like Dangerous and Dangerous sounds nothing like Bad but all those albums still had that classic Michael Jackson feel to them.

Another thing that bugs me is that We've Had Enough never made it onto the album. That song alone was better than alot of songs that actually did make it onto the album.

And yeah the fact that Michael only wrote and composed two songs by himself for this albums still bugs the hell out of me. When i buy a Michael Jackson album i expect a good chunk of the songs to be written and composed by Michael himself. I'm buying a Michael Jackson album not a ''Michael Jackson and Friends'' album. I have no problem with Michael bringing in outside songwriters to contribute to his albums, by doing that we've gotten great songs like Off The Wall, Human Nature, Man In The Mirror, Just Good Friends, Jam, Dangerous, Tabloid Junkie and Is It Scary. I just think that Invincible went a bit O.T.T with the outside songwriters

i agree :)

Yes, it's an excellent album.

My favorite song is on it. Speechless: What an incredibly beautiful masterpiece.

of course 'YES' !!
'Invincible' is one of my favorite album.
I love 'Invincible'

Invincible is a great album, it had to grow on me though.

Yes, it's different and innovative, too much for 2001, that's why it was not understood and appreciated :(

Threatened is a killer track and deserves more attention. I would have been awesome as a short film and single!!

I just don't get people who say Invincible's songs are too long and that it has too many ballads. It's like a mantra or something, yeez.

Each song is a perfect legth. Perhaps The Lost children is too short if anything.

And yeah, I can see why people had to ask this question in 2001 when it came out. It was just so much ahead of its time and unique that people just couldn't get behind it. But now, after all these years, it should be painfully obvious that Invincible is a timeless masterpiece which will probably never be topped in the realm of composition and sound quality.
I'm telling you, I've got Invincible on vinyl and it is the best sounding record in my collection. It is a sonic perfection, a genius mix between the cleanliness of Thriller and many layers of Dangerous. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Vocally, Michael was even better than his usual self. Invincible playlist blows away 80% of his other work. People praise Stranger in Moscow and while I like it, it is just a stale and boring train trip in comparison to the bumper cart ride that is Heaven can Wait. His voice goes UP, his voice goes DOWN, it STOPS, it STREEETCHES,...
And don't get me started on Butterflies. Show me another human being on this planet who can sing Butterflies. I'll wait right here.

Lyrically it is super dense. Michael's past songs did have deep and ambiguous meanings but when you compare them to Invincible, they are children's songs. No, really. Perhaps Dangerous and Blood on the Dancefloor come close, but they still lag behind. Have you even checked the lyrics to Invincible songs? Did you know that Threatened has a rap part, which is cut and paste voice samples from Rod Serling in The Twilight Zone? That.....is....CRAZY!

The beats and the mellodies are also a perfect blend of classy pop and modern R&B. Both elements are used in just the right amount to create a mix that sounds like something from the royal future. It just goes to show how advanced Michael was when using technology, but also his class and perfectionism.

The themes are maybe not as original as they were on Bad, but come on. Invincible takes TWYMF and elevates it on a next level. Unbreakable is the entire History album condensed in one song. 2000 watts is just like Speed Demon...weird but genius. Heaven can Wait...just makes me cry. Whatever Happens...super unique.
Not going to do every song, but you get the point. The themes were legit!

So how could anyone in their right mind even ask the question if Invicible is anything less than a masterpiece?

I just don't get people who say Invincible's songs are too long and that it has too many ballads. It's like a mantra or something, yeez.

Each song is a perfect legth. Perhaps The Lost children is too short if anything.

And yeah, I can see why people had to ask this question in 2001 when it came out. It was just so much ahead of its time and unique that people just couldn't get behind it. But now, after all these years, it should be painfully obvious that Invincible is a timeless masterpiece which will probably never be topped in the realm of composition and sound quality.
I'm telling you, I've got Invincible on vinyl and it is the best sounding record in my collection. It is a sonic perfection, a genius mix between the cleanliness of Thriller and many layers of Dangerous. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Vocally, Michael was even better than his usual self. Invincible playlist blows away 80% of his other work. People praise Stranger in Moscow and while I like it, it is just a stale and boring train trip in comparison to the bumper cart ride that is Heaven can Wait. His voice goes UP, his voice goes DOWN, it STOPS, it STREEETCHES,...
And don't get me started on Butterflies. Show me another human being on this planet who can sing Butterflies. I'll wait right here.

Lyrically it is super dense. Michael's past songs did have deep and ambiguous meanings but when you compare them to Invincible, they are children's songs. No, really. Perhaps Dangerous and Blood on the Dancefloor come close, but they still lag behind. Have you even checked the lyrics to Invincible songs? Did you know that Threatened has a rap part, which is cut and paste voice samples from Rod Serling in The Twilight Zone? That.....is....CRAZY!

The beats and the mellodies are also a perfect blend of classy pop and modern R&B. Both elements are used in just the right amount to create a mix that sounds like something from the royal future. It just goes to show how advanced Michael was when using technology, but also his class and perfectionism.

The themes are maybe not as original as they were on Bad, but come on. Invincible takes TWYMF and elevates it on a next level. Unbreakable is the entire History album condensed in one song. 2000 watts is just like Speed Demon...weird but genius. Heaven can Wait...just makes me cry. Whatever Happens...super unique.
Not going to do every song, but you get the point. The themes were legit!

So how could anyone in their right mind even ask the question if Invicible is anything less than a masterpiece?

YES!!! I love it.!!!

Invincible is one of my favourites. It was modern for the time while still keeping the touch from previous albums. Admittedly there are some songs that are quite weak imo but a majority are excellent.

Yes, of course!!! I believe the album was waaaay ahead of its time. People weren’t ready to hear something like it back then. Michael wanted to make it sound futuristic and that’s what he did. I love love love all the tracks and his sexy deep voice in 2000 watts!

I love invincible. It's a masterpiece, but i wish it had more musicvideos and songs realesed as singles?

his vocals were the best on Invincible and outshines every album before.

that raspy and tortured voice is so much better than his smooth and joyful thriller voice.

That's pretty complicated question, you know, from commercial success point Invincible sucks I can agree with that. but from the point of quality of music that's a real banger! Michael Jackson tried to do his best for this album and we can clearly see that in these tracks

It is a good album. But it is really... different than other MJ albums - it's not a classic MJ album. It is ahead of its time I believe. And it is too long. BTW, can't believe someone above listed Unbrekable, Whatever Happens and Threatened as weak - IMO those are some of the strongest on the album.

I believe , now I say it is my opinion only that it should have been without a few tracks , and that some tracks needed to be redone. But then again,some of them really have their own magic - So you can't say that the album isn't inovative- it's just whether it's your cup of tea. It may be repetitive at times ,but I believe that it is cause of the bad tracklist.

First three songs , which I love btw, strike you as similar,but they are really good - Unbreakable is a powerful opener, Heartbreaker is I believe the fastest MJ song ever and it's got the cool beatboxing and Invincible is really modern. Break of Dawn and Heaven Can Wait took me a while to distinguish cause of the similar theme and smoothness. YRMW is a pure jewel IMO. Butterflies is so soulful and r'n'b. Speechless I used to find pretty "Disney" but my God... listen to the song on your headphones and turn it up. I guarantee you will be dwelling with tears. It's Michael speaking from his soul. A Capella. Just his voice. I realized this only a few days ago. It's magic. It is a cocky song - but it's Michael and that's why it is wonderful. And it's based on Michael's voice only for a large part of the song - again something new. Then comes 2000 Watts,even though I am not a fan is something that you might find on the new Black Eyed Peas album. You Are My Life - I personally don't like this song ,but it has some nice harmonies at the end and it's for his kids I believe. Privacy is my least fav MJ song I think but it has the amazing camera flash as the main beat of the song - isn't that original as hell?! Don't Walk Away may be yet another ballad but what is really good about this song is that its chorus so to say basically starts almost at the end. It just should have been more "produced" add a few more instruments to make it more complete. Maybe Michael wanted to achieve a minimalistic sound approach here. I am not an expert in music but I do like to extinguish some stuff :)
Cry was supposed to be this decade's MITM. It may not be that original I must admit but it has a very good message - and the sentence "If we all cry at the same time tonight" - connected with the video ... Inspiring. The Lost Children ... Hmm... Shouldn't have been put next to Cry - again the problem with bad track listing. The song would have had a bigger impact if Cry were earlier on the album I believe. Whatever Happens - a style Michael had never done before. And it's got his deep voice. It is a sin that this song was never a single. Such a shame. And it is on its perfect spot at the album. Just like Threatened. The beat may be similar to the first 3 songs - but that's the main thing in Invincible .(just like the New Jack Swing stuff on Dangerous WYWTOM, SDMW and ICLHGA are really similar when stripped down to the beat only) . What makes Threatened so special is the beginning and the end of the song. Turn it up and you will hear a bird croak at the start, a spooky atmosphere and then BAM! This Is It showed the song at its full potential. It's bumpy, it makes you wanna move. And then the rap made of the speaking of "whatshisname" guy from Twilight Zone (can't remember really :( ) ... Pure genius of an idea.

So all in all - No. Invincible is not a bad album. It just didn't live up to MJ's standards. Had there been a better promotion, videos,tour which would have been Goddamn amazing - Invincible would have been a classic - despite its terrible tracklist and too much songs.

P.S. If it were me, I would have taken away Heaven Can Wait, The Lost Children, You Are My Life and Privacy and put it We've Had Enough and Escape. Let's say. Just giving an opinion so don't hate ;)
Exactly

Are you being held hostage??
Michaels art is the estates hostage.

That's pretty complicated question, you know, from commercial success point Invincible sucks I can agree with that. but from the point of quality of music that's a real banger! Michael Jackson tried to do his best for this album and we can clearly see that in these tracks
I disagree. We can not see it, we can hear it!

Back