Janet's career

Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

• Yes

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • no

Votes: 62 26.2%

• Total voters
famous family...knowing famous people......having better oppurtunities........not necessarily having anything to do with talent imo....different discussion

Well then explain why La Toya's career was almost unnoticed and Janet is a global superstar. Of course talent comes into it.

The Jackson name did help Janet with her career in the beginning. But when she started singing and making her own albums that is when she distanced herself from the Jackson name. He worked really hard to get where she is today. But she proved that through talent and a strong will to achieve success she was able to become her own star. Not forgetting that in 1995 Michael needed Janet to perform the Scream duet because at that time he just came out of those allegations and needed a little bit of help from his famous sister.

She's not particularly talented to me. I have none CDs of her and I don't listen to her.
Nevertheless I don't think that she owes her career to the J5 or even Michael.

Well the Jackson 5 is where everything started.........

- And Michael was the star attraction of J5!
- Motown probably wouldn't of signed up J5 if it was J4 (i.e. without Michael)!

Janet got famous when she started coming on the Jacksons Variety Show......

- The main attraction of the show was Michael!

Yes Janet is talented........

- But there are plenty of talented people who never get signed up by music labels.......
- The opportunity to be a regular on the variety show got her the attention she needed......

But her solo success has proved she is very talented...........

- The other two sisters tried solo careers.....look how their careers turned out!
- The Jacksons made one album without Michael.....failed!

I also beleive that the name Jackson helped her as it has helped the other siblings too, and the main reason for that is Michael. Janet is great, I like her, but I do not see how she could have made it this big if it wasn't for the fact that her big brother Michael is the biggest thing in music that ever hit this earth.

I brought Janet albums up til 1814 then she became this over sex kitten and I found it unbelievable. He acting is hometown theatre quality and unbelieveable. I just hope Parsi is better because she too will be riding on Michaels name alone.

Originally Posted by TehNilz
Like Prince once said. "Michael? A genius. Janet? A genius's sister."
Haha yea Prince did say that I saw it. I believe it's was an VH1 interview?

Anyways, in an interview Janet gave back in the day (before Control) she said something like her famous family opened the door for her and it's up to her to keep it open. I agree and I think that's exactly what she did. She started off in a Summer Vegas Jacksons family variety show, let's not forget. After that ya'll know the rest. Connections in Hollywood always help. Especially a very well known last name! ;) But, what one does with it, will determine how much credit u'll get in the end. So I give Janet more then half. But, she needs to do something to save it.... cause lately.....:ph34r:

I also believe having such famous last name helped her to enter to the showbiz. I don't find her talented either, in the 80's she bacame a Michael's coreogrphies copycat and in the 90's she sexualized herself and in 2003 eventhough she wasn't the only guilty one, the superbolw incident didn't help her a all. I find her voice boring and not powerful, being part of The Jackson Dinasty has help her to continue in the public eye; however, I bet her latest scandal made her loose many fans... :ninja:

The Jackson name did help Janet with her career in the beginning. But when she started singing and making her own albums that is when she distanced herself from the Jackson name. He worked really hard to get where she is today. But she proved that through talent and a strong will to achieve success she was able to become her own star. Not forgetting that in 1995 Michael needed Janet to perform the Scream duet because at that time he just came out of those allegations and needed a little bit of help from his famous sister.

Yeah. Obviously the Jackson name helped her get her foot in the door. And without the Jackson name she probably wouldn't have had 3 albums to establish herself. But, yeah, Latoya is a Jackson too. It was Janet, her work and her decisions that made her the superstar she became. So, yes, Janet got in the business due to the Jackson 5 and Michael, but she didn't became successful due to being their sister.

I also believe having such famous last name helped her to enter to the showbiz. I don't find her talented either, in the 80's she bacame a Michael's coreogrphies copycat and in the 90's she sexualized herself and in 2003 eventhough she wasn't the only guilty one, the superbolw incident didn't help her a all. I find her voice boring and not powerful, being part of The Jackson Dinasty has help her to continue in the public eye; however, I bet her latest scandal made her loose many fans... :ninja:
Agreed.

Michael didn't need Janet, he wanted to record that duet just for working with his sister, despite the allegations, HIStory sold 25 million copies. Janet was only very famous in The US and probably in English speaking Europe contries, in the rest of the world she's still considered Michael's little sister.

Thanks Irma! :)

Here in Europe Janet is definitely mainly known as "Michael Jackson's little sister". I don't think she has a big fan base on her own, most of her fans are Michael fans mainly who support her too.

I know it was different in the US and I actually found it annoying how hard the US media tried to make her bigger than Michael at the beginning of the 90s. How the Janet album was praised over Dangerous etc. I think that was only to stick it to Michael.

She has a couple of OK songs, but her voice is nothing special (in fact weak, compared to many other female singers) and I do not own any Janet album - never had the desire to do.

That was the problem, maybe I had the impression she was very successful in USA because media puffed her a way too much, she probably was but I had the feeling media was forcing us to like her and yes it was very annoying they were praising her albums over Michael's daring to say he needed her to recover from the allegations and that's why the Scream duet was done but like I said before, even with the media crusade to destroy him, HIStory was quite sucessful.

Last edited:
Michael didn't need Janet, he wanted to record that duet just for working with his sister, despite the allegations, HIStory sold 25 million copies. Janet was only very famous in The US and probably in English speaking Europe contries, in the rest of the world she's still considered Michael's little sister.

Thanks Irma! :)

um Janet did not need Michael to do the duet with her she was having success on her own lol and sorry english speaking countries and japan are the biggestest markets in the wrold so it's that's completely rediculouse.

not true at all funny how you are judgemental but you don't any of her albums to even judge.

Michael didn't need Janet, he wanted to record that duet just for working with his sister, despite the allegations, HIStory sold 25 million copies.

The bolded part...

That's what the media wants you to think. She was having success in USA but not in the rest of the goble.

Yes, I don't have any of her albums and I don't want to but I've listened to her songs.

lol not true at all she was having plently worldwide the Janet album sold 17 million world wide, and I repeat if you don't own of her albums or don't want to than don't talk about or complain anbout the prise an album is getting .

no more than the Jackson 5 opened the door for Michael Jackson. What was the point of this thread again?

This discussion proves how close-minded alot of Michaels fans are. They dont accept anyone but Michael or anyone to be compared with Michael.

Just because you dont like her music or style, doesnt mean she isnt talented or you have to down her impact in music. You dont have to have voice like Whitney to be talented singer.

Janet is definately talented musician. Shes not the best singer, but one of the best dancers, on a level as Michael. Her talent is in her ability to dance. She influenced most of todays female artists.

Her albums, especialy Control & RN had impact in music and to alot people. Just because they didnt aply to you, doesnt mean they didnt had the effect that is aknowledge by others and the media. And when you never have heard or own any of her albums and making judgements is unfair. You know very well that the singles released dont always represend the quality of an album.

No doubt that her name opened doors, but she definately managed to be more then a famous name on her own with her music.
Its true that in Europe shes still labeled as "Michael jacksons little sister", but thats just as Michael was labeled as KOP.

And thats the mistake many do, as to see her just as Michaels sister. Where shes more then that. I recommend you to listen to RN, Janet and the message they have. Control and velvet rope are also great albums. I agree that after AFY she lost on quality, but there are still some songs that are enjoyble and fun to listen.

Janet is just as great dancer as Michael was. Her early albums were just as great as Michaels were. Sorry if you dont see it.

Oh please, the Janet album sold 17 millions, Dangerous sold 32 millions and now adays HIStory has sold 40 millions.

we are talking about Janet and you said Janet didn't have any worldwide success I didn't claim Janet sold as much as Michael but yes she did have worldwide success. and Michael sales fell off in the USA after the scandal, it didn't exactly hurt him either to do a duet with Janet but like others have pointed out they did scream together because they wanted too, niether one of them needed too.

Lots of people/critics said/think Janet helped MJ by doing a duet for the HIStory album do to the scandal of 93. But, the truth is that MJ was trying to do a duet with Janet long before that. It was her who was holding back because she didn't want anyone thinking she was riding his coat tails as she said in her VH1 interview a few yrs back. So After the JANET Album success she said she felt more comfortable about the whole thing!

Last edited:
The TOPIC of this thread is did Janet get her Start from the Jackson name .. which I think most agree thats where she got her start. But she built her own very successful music career since then, Unlike the rest of the Jackson's beyong the great success of the J5 who have the same name and still cling to Michael's coat tails trying to do it. So the Jackson name cant buy you Lasting success if you are not talented.

Oh please, the Janet album sold 17 millions, Dangerous sold 32 millions and now adays HIStory has sold 40 millions.
I dont think anyone was comparing Janet and Michael .. Or saying she is better than Michael. 17 Million where ever that number comes from is still a huge amount of Albums ( but Janet has sold close to or over 100 million world wide) 26 Million in USA alone certified by the RIA. That is something only the most talented successful artists can do. She certainly isn't as talented as Michael by any means. but we cant compare Janet's sales or talent to Michael to show she wasn't talented or successful, because She was. Our personal opinions of her or her music can't negate that fact. Just as those who don;t like MJ or care for his music cant negate his talent or success

Janet has a great following of fans in Europe because of her songs, beauty and talent and They don't refer to her as Michael's little sister. (Now maybe the tainted media that still refers to MJ as J*cko still does. ) Plus Many Michael fans are not Janet fans (such as myself) and MJ fans who are wouldnt buy her music if they didnt like it. You can go to any Janet fan board to see that plus they don't refer to her as Michael's little anything there either unless it's done respectfully.

"Janet Jackson is one of the top ten selling artists in the history of contemporary music; ranked by Billboard magazine as the ninth most successful act in rock and roll history, and the second most successful female artist in pop music history. " She is the only female artist in the history of the Hot 100 to have 18 consecutive top ten hit singles, from "Miss You Much" (1989) to "I Get Lonely" (1998). The magazine ranked her at number seven on their Hot 100 50th Anniversary "Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists", making her the third most successful female artist in the history of the chart, following Madonna and Mariah Carey. In November 2010, Billboard released its "Top 50 R&B / Hip-Hop Artists of the Past 25 Years" list and ranked her at number five. She ranks as the top artist on the chart with 15 number ones in the past twenty-five years, garnering 27 top ten hits between 1985 and 2001, and 33 consecutive top 40 hits from 1985 through 2004.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson

Now that being said I've NEVER been a Janet fan.
I don't own ANY of her albums. I like some of her earlier songs but never really been a fan. That doesn"t negate her PROVEN success or talent. Just because some of you here don't like her or her music doesn't take away the fact she is very popular and talented and has built a successful career as a musical artist and an actress.

This discussion proves how close-minded alot of Michaels fans are. They dont accept anyone but Michael or anyone to be compared with Michael.

Just because you dont like her music or style, doesnt mean she isnt talented or you have to down her impact in music. You dont have to have voice like Whitney to be talented singer.

Janet is definately talented musician. Shes not the best singer, but one of the best dancers, on a level as Michael. Her talent is in her ability to dance. She influenced most of todays female artists.

Her albums, especialy Control & RN had impact in music and to alot people. Just because they didnt aply to you, doesnt mean they didnt had the effect that is aknowledge by others and the media. And when you never have heard or own any of her albums and making judgements is unfair. You know very well that the singles released dont always represend the quality of an album.

No doubt that her name opened doors, but she definately managed to be more then a famous name on her own with her music.
Its true that in Europe shes still labeled as "Michael jacksons little sister", but thats just as Michael was labeled as KOP.

And thats the mistake many do, as to see her just as Michaels sister. Where shes more then that. I recommend you to listen to RN, Janet and the message they have. Control and velvet rope are also great albums. I agree that after AFY she lost on quality, but there are still some songs that are enjoyble and fun to listen.

Janet is just as great dancer as Michael was. Her early albums were just as great as Michaels were. Sorry if you dont see it.

Just because some of us don't think that Janet is so great it doesn't mean we are "close-minded" and don't accept anyone else. I'm sure a lot of people who told in this thread they don't like Janet, like and listen to a lot of other artists, not only Michael. I sure do. It just happens that Janet is not among them and I do not think she's as talented as she is famous. I also do not feel the need to like her music just because she is Michael's sister.

The OP asked a question and it was not said that only people whose opinion is favorable of Janet can reply. So yeah, I think a part of her fame is down to her being Michael's sister. Not all of it is down to that obviously, otherwise LaToya would have been successful as well. Janet does have some talent (and yeah, she's a great dancer) but whether she would have made it without being MJ's sister? Maybe, but not this big IMO.

And BTW, it's not an any less valid opinion as yours and no one needs to be lectured by you because they have a different opinion or taste in music.

Last edited:
When it comes to Janet and her career, yeah, she started off as part of the Jacksons and "Michael's little sister". Just like when Michael started off as "Michael from the J5". See the thing I see with Michael fans, not specifically here, but everywhere, is they seem to think Michael is superior or the best or better than the other Jacksons or the best. Which is fine since they are big MJ fans, but they really should open their minds a little when they talk about Janet, they always get fussy when it comes to scream, like oh he danced better, or he didn't need her, etc. etc. etc. I am a huge fan of the entire 9 kids. More mainly Michael, Janet, and Jermaine and the band. The ones I like the most are obviously Janet and Michael. All though many MJ fans don't like her voice, her lyrics can be very powerful, people don't see her powerful lyrics, but if you look deep in her music and other albums, she has strong messages and morals, most of her songs at some point were about her and her life, it's like her music became a open diary. She is also a huge dance icon and a sex icon. Some may not like the whole sex icon thing, But I love it, But it tends to get very controversial. Just like how many MJ fans can find Michael "sexy" and all, which I see a lot, guys and others do the same for Janet. And when people think Janet they think Control, Rhythm Nation. Which is like Non-Mj fans thinking Thriller and Bad, which we all know there is much more. There was much more than that. She had huge tours, amazing set up's on the stages, her shows were one of a kind. Janet is a VERY under-rated artist, Which is sad. She has a lot more dancing other than Rhythm Nation. Her career at first was bumpy, more really I feel it was because of the people she was working with and cause of her dad. After Dream Street she really took a big step with Jimmy Jam and Terry lewis. After Control she went into the dancing and after Rhythm Nation she went into the sex stuff but still had other stuff and more dancing came along. She also is more than a musician, she is in quite a few movies. She was in various shows as well. One thing that upsets me with MJ fans is when they compare Janet and Michael and say Janet copies from MJ. That is not the case and it is the case. There are many times Janet copied MJ, and there are many times Michael copied Janet. They think very alike. Fun fact, In Dangerous, in the VMA's 1995 and HIStory tour, The "Get The Point? Good Let's Dance" and "I know you want me". That is Janet actually. From Rhythm Nation and Janet. album's, they are interludes. When it comes to Speed Demon from Moonwalker, when he does the move with his hand going under his chin and up the side of his face, that is from Janet's 1986 video Pleasure Principle. When it comes to the janet. tour from 93 to 95, Janet did her own version of the lean. They take things from themselves and think a like. I never compare them and I wouldn't. Janet has a large career, more than just music, that all started with shows and then music and them more music and movies in the middle. It's greater than you think and very underrated. If you ever take the chance, try watching her dancing, or her shows, or her music, and listen to the lyrics, the messages and meanings. She is a real sweet character too. If you gave her a try maybe you may pick something you like, it is Michael's sister. What it boils down to is, Would Janet have her career without the Jacksons or MJ. But that's like asking would MJ be MJ without the Jacksons. I think we know the answer to both questions which is no.

Last edited:
What it boils down to is, Would Janet have her career without the Jacksons or MJ. But that's like asking would MJ be MJ without the Jacksons. I think we know the answer to both questions which is no.

I disagree with this statement.

I have a problem with that statement as I believe some people are born to this world and are destined to do great things in their own field. The only time I hear that MJ wouldn't have made it without Jackson's, comes from Jackson's fans.
I hear no such statements for Jobs, Picasso, Beethoven, Edison, Muhammad Ali, or any other person that has made their mark in this world within their own field. Sure, all those great people had father, mother and siblings, but really, it was not down to them that made those people do things great they did. It came from inside of those people, and they were born with the qualities that made them do great things.

Would Michael be MJ without Jackson's? I say, Michael made it despite of Jackson's but I cannot prove it as none of us gets the second chance to enter this world. Who knows, he could've been even bigger had he born into different family.
Also, I'm bold enough to turn that statement around and say, would Jackson's be Jackson's (as we know them today) without Michael? The answer is clear no.

Last edited:
Now that being said I've NEVER been a Janet fan.
I don't own ANY of her albums. I like some of her earlier songs but never really been a fan.

I think this is MY situation and many others as well..yet I see we got called "close-minded" by some user here..? that's nonsense IMO, because the way I see it I could say the same about people who like her better than Michael. We could say they're close minded for letting tabloids take over their judgment, for thinking he's probably just a good dancer and not so great singer or those who maybe think he's overrated and therefore don't listen to him..etc. yet we don't, obviously she has talent but IMO her type of talents aren't particularly my taste..I don't know why it is so wrong to say so. I've had lots of people saying they don't like Michael as much in my face and I don't lecture them for doing so, if they don't it's their choice, period.

I never said she isn't/wasn't successful, I said she probably was in her country and other English speaking ones, some of you confirmed she doesn't have a big fan base in Europe on her own and in Hispanic American countries either, they just know her for being Michael's little sister. When I go to the record stores, I rarely find a record of her and MJ's there are always many ones, so it speaks volumes to me in Mexico's case...

Back