Janet's dancing

you mean those hips, lol.

that was a great performance, need to educate myself on the 'lesser-known' classics (well to us laymen anyway). whenever it's an Astaire duet, i don't tend to focus on the 'others', lol.

Hips don't lie! Eat your heart out Shakira!

Well yeah, lol. It's hard to look at anyone else when Astaire's on film. I can't myself. Don't feel bad about not knowing who these folks are, I'm werid and I watch and listen to some really old stuff, lol. Check out Eleanor Powell, along with Cyd Charrise and Ann Miller if you get a chance, for the best of the best female dancers.

wannabe wouldn't know a good dancer if one came and hit her smack in the face

she can't freestyle to save her damn lyfe! cdfu

mj can dance on the spot, jan can't.

Very true !

I'm not much of a Janet Jackson fan. But I saw her in concert during her Velvet Rope Tour in 1998, and I was very impressed with her dancing and live vocals

if you want to talk about Janets choreograhy and dancing, then you should really give credit to Tina Landon and La Vaille Smith. Paula Abdul was Janets first choreographer during Control era, but Janets live performances and videos went to another level from Rhythm Nation era onwards, when she started working with Tina and later La Vaille.

They were both envoled with the SCREAM video too.

Actually, Gil Duldulao has been her choreographer for years now. To my knowledge LaVelle hasn't done that much with Janet except star in some videos. Tina has been out of Jan's life for ages.

As far as scream, Lavelle was Michael's choreographer at the time and Tina was the one that came up with the dance routine, she showed it to LaVelle who showed it to Michael. So LaVelle didn't directly work with Janet on that one.

I love Janet like i love michael.... she can capture my attention just like michael... of course michael is a better dancer..i mean he's been dancing since she was born... but i like Janet becuz she found her OWN style and stuck with it... her tours are great..her songs are great..her dancing is great..and if u been or seen the rockwitchu tour...she has gone all out with her vocals...God bless..

I was recently talking to some Janet Fans and they were all talking about how versatile her music videos and her dancing is and that Michael repeated all his moves and recycled all his 80's stuff. How do you think about that? Because i really can't agree with that.It's not like he does his signature moves every second.Also he didn't need much choreography,he was more of a one-man show.

^ Every performer recycles moves... Michaels simply leave such an impact he can't get away with it the same..

I was recently talking to some Janet Fans and they were all talking about how versatile her music videos and her dancing is and that Michael repeated all his moves and recycled all his 80's stuff. How do you think about that? Because i really can't agree with that.It's not like he does his signature moves every second.Also he didn't need much choreography,he was more of a one-man show.
That's not true at all.
Even for Billie Jean each breakdown was different.
Additionally, when people say stuff like that chances are they're MJ haters, so their opinions shouldn't be valued anyway.
All logic and common sense ceases to exist when other fanbases discuss MJ, and I'm almost sure it's because they're jealous of MJ's status compared to their own fave.
It does sadden me to see Janet fans talk bad about MJ though. :(

Last edited:
yeah about the breakdown,they say that all his moves were predictable (like spin,crotch-grabbing etc.)
I think it's sad.But this seems to happen in almost every forum,people belittle other Stars to make their idol look better.

I often see Janet fans say things like that but IMO no one else but them feels that way. The fact is that MJ has signature moves that everyone associates with him and emulates, but it is much less the case with Janet. Although she was a great dancer - in fact, dancing was probably her strength as a performer, but I think MJ was a more natural, more instinctive, more "from the heart" dancer and because of that people respond to him more as a dancer. The way I see it, Janet fans are a bit frustrated nowadays that Janet is being overlooked by the mainstream today and her legacy doesn't get the respect they think it deserves and often they feel the need to compensate that by saying things like how Janet was better in this and that than Michael.

I often see Janet fans say things like that but IMO no one else but them feels that way. The fact is that MJ has signature moves that everyone associates with him and emulates, but it is much less the case with Janet. Although she was a great dancer - in fact, dancing was probably her strength as a performer, but I think MJ was a more natural, more instinctive, more "from the heart" dancer and because of that people respond to him more as a dancer. The way I see it, Janet fans are a bit frustrated nowadays that Janet is being overlooked by the mainstream today and her legacy doesn't get the respect they think it deserves and often they feel the need to compensate that by saying things like how Janet was better in this and that than Michael.

All of this is SO true!
I've legit seen other fanbases tell some of the biggest lies when it comes to Michael, and all to make their own fave look better then him/on his level.
People be reaching with Mr. Fantastic arms with some of their detractions about Michael.
It truly is cringeworthy to see when people do it though because it's spreading false information about Michael, and some not so bright people will think that whatever lie they see is the truth.
Luckily those not so bright people don't seem to be in the majority most of the time.

To me,Janet is a legend in her own right.I like her music,her dancing and her tours.But like you said respect 77,she does not look like a natural dancer,it can even look very rehearsed at times,especially when background dancers outdance her... which never seems to be the case with Michael

I was very frustrated when they said that she even surpassed him in the US and became a better entertainer and that her influence on people and the music industry was equal to Michael's... I think we know for a fact that nobody had more influence on people around the world than Michael

I was very frustrated when they said that she even surpassed him in the US and became a better entertainer and that her influence on people and the music industry was equal to Michael's... I think we know for a fact that nobody had more influence on people around the world than Michael

Those are Janet's fans usual talking points, but I find them a bit narrow-minded. Most are probably from the US and look at things from an American perspective from which Janet may seem bigger than she really is globally. Yes, there was a time during the 90s when Janet became a bit more popular than MJ in the US (but only there) - especially when it came to singles. That had a lot to do with the allegations against MJ, which of course won't make anyone popular. Also he didn't have as many albums released in the 90s as Janet. But I think that was temporary. On the long term and on a historical level MJ is clearly more popular (whether in or outside of the US) than Janet. His music has more longevity.

Even with the allegations MJ was still huge and loved around the world.Janet never faced any of this,of course his sales weren't always the best in the U.S.
They made a great deal out of her superbowl show though,so stupid

Janet did not choreograph... you hire various choreographers to make your dance, it' going to be different.. Michael played his fair share in creating..

Plus he has always simply been better skilled, she did notstudy dance the way Michael did.. Heknew the basics of many many different dance styles (tap, jazz, various streetdances etc) while Janet had basic rhythm understanding which helped her performwell.. (Which Michael had as well)..
Was she good? Yeah, but there is absolutely no comparing toMichael.. he was a much more diverse and talented dancer without question.

In recent years there have been several popular dance shows in german TV and regulary dance performances were represented from Michaels performances. I did not remember that Janets dances were ever represented. There is a new show acutal on RTL "Dance, Dance, Dance" and in the first and second show MJ was in it with Beat it and Bad. The jury- members are always saying things like MJ is not just the King of Pop but also the King of Dance, he is the
Well, in third show Janet is represented but only because the Scream-performance is in it, so again only in combination with Michael and I am sure MJ-performances will continue in the follow shows but no other Janet-performance.

I do think Janet is a great dancer whose legacy, especially in dancing, should get more recognition than it does. In many ways she was highly influential, especially on female performers. But no need to put down MJ in order to lift her up because MJ was in his own league as a dancer. Why? It is well explained in this article if someone may not get it: http://en.michaeljackson.ru/michael-jackson-the-dancer-of-the-dream/

In recent years there have been several popular dance shows in german TV and regulary dance performances were represented from Michaels performances. I did not remember that Janets dances were ever represented. There is a new show acutal on RTL "Dance, Dance, Dance" and in the first and second show MJ was in it with Beat it and Bad. The jury- members are always saying things like MJ is not just the King of Pop but also the King of Dance, he is the
Well, in third show Janet is represented but only because the Scream-performance is in it, so again only in combination with Michael and I am sure MJ-performances will continue in the follow shows but no other Janet-performance.

yeah i watched it too. I was happy for Menderes that his dream came true,although his BAD performance wasn't that great :D hm i think there should be some Janet Performances, i absolutely love rhythm nation,if and miss you much.But of course Michael's moves are more iconic, like one in the jury said, you don't just learn the moves, you have to learn the MJ style to make it look great

Also I'll add, I don't want to say this but I will.... looking on youtube at Janets last 2 tours, she did not seem into it... Simply she was just going through the motions and performing in my opinion... So for that I am one to say she "was" a great dancer.. She came to town twice for me and I did not see her simply because of the performances I saw online before she came...

yeah i watched it too. I was happy for Menderes that his dream came true,although his BAD performance wasn't that great :D hm i think there should be some Janet Performances, i absolutely love rhythm nation,if and miss you much.But of course Michael's moves are more iconic, like one in the jury said, you don't just learn the moves, you have to learn the MJ style to make it look great
I wasn't ever a Janet fan because I was just too old when she blew up-but I was familiar with Rhythm Nation and Scream, of course. Dancing with the Stars paid homage last year to great "video dances" of the past-and they did "Bad" and "Rhythm Nation." I was glad to see that she was recognized there. And from what I understood from the judges, they killed the dance.

(I have gone back and caught up a bit on her videos-she had some good ones).

Back