LA Reid memoir, MJ bit

So Reid signs a non disclosure then as soon as he is gone tells all in a book, that's loyalty NOTTT!!!!

Even in this case Michael eventually did not take Jermaine's producers. He did not record any of their songs and they went back to work on Jermaine's album which they released as planned and which flopped big time.

He did record Slave To The Rhythm.

respect77;4132206 said:
I don't know, to me it's not that serious. I am pretty sure Prince laughed with his friends in private at MJ's expense as well, or he made critical remarks of him or something. Only no one writes a book about that, I guess.

Actually, Prince did not too nice MJ references in public, in his songs. Such as:

(From his song Life O The Party)

Also some believe My Name is Prince contains MJ references. Eg.:

The second is debatable, the first quote is pretty clearly a reference to MJ. Or what about how the childish ways he behaved with MJ when they personally met?

(From the book Per Nilsen Dance Music Sex Romance: Prince: The First Decade)

Another account of the same story has Prince tell his friends in the studio after MJ left that "he played like Helen Keller". So it's not like these light hearted remarks and mockings did not go the other way around as well. But to me it's not that serious.

What "others" think about this so called "obsession" of MJ with Prince is nothing but ignorance. If you call these things by MJ an "obsession" with Prince then let's call that (Prince's behaviour around MJ, remarks, his song lyrics about MJ etc.) the other way around as well, alright? To me it was just playful rivalry that they BOTH played on.

Oh and if anything, that James Brown concert shows that MJ was not afraid of or threatened by Prince. If he was he would not have made James call him up on stage right after him. It's not like Prince necessarily had to embarrass himself while up there. That was entirely his own doing.

Yes that's exactly my point, I don't condone that type of childish behaviour from prince either. Especially the line about his nose. A lot of fans called prince out for that specific remark which is understandable because that was beneath an artist like prince, (wasn't this around 03/04, if so then it's even more ignoble). It's like Michael said something about an artist with class doesn't diss other artists, he doesn't need too. I just don't think that was cool that's all.

the way it was written in that article was very suggestive. "But Michael wasn’t done humiliating him.
[Michael] was especially mean to competitor Prince and dismissive of his older brother Jermaine."
Is that part even in the book? Btw when was Slave to the rhythm recorded and when did they record 2300 Jackson Street?

SheilaMJFan4Ever;4132321 said:
The soundtrack was the best thing about the movie, lol!

Indeed it was! Sometimes It Snows In April is such a beautiful piece.

How lucky we are that people do not judge and analyze every little step we make, every little stupid remark we ever make, every little petty thing we do and even what we laugh about in private with our friends. Apparently MJ did not have this luxury.

How lucky we are that people do not judge and analyze every little step we make, every little stupid remark we ever make, every little petty thing we do and even what we laugh about in private with our friends. Apparently MJ did not have this luxury.

I would hope that my friends and people around me are sincere enough to tell me when they think i'm out of line or when I act petty. At the end of the day I just don't believe in laughing at another persons expense.

Can someone tell me when STTR and 2300 Jackson street was recorded?

Last edited:
Prince was signed to Arista briefly in the late 1990s for one album. Prince went back to his name around this time after being "Symbol" or "The Artist" for several years. Clive Davis oversaw a Santana Supernatural type album with guest artists called Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic. Not long after this Clive was fired, and was replaced with L.A. Reid. It was rumored that Reid stopped promotion on Prince's album after Clive had spent a lot of money on Prince. On another note, L.A. & Babyface's label LaFace was under Arista. Remember that story about TLC (who were on LaFace) bringing some girls up to Clive's office and pulling out a gun on him. It's in their biopic too that was on VH1. I don't know if it counts, but Reid and Babyface were in a band called The Deele which had a synth funk sound kind of like The Time, at least on the earlier albums. The Deele is mainly known today for the ballad Two Occasions.

Speaking of TLC, Left Eye is a co-writer of Word To The Badd, and she and T-Boz sing background on it and another song on Jermaine's album. This was before their own album came out. TLC also has a song called Somethin' Wicked This Way Comes where Andre 3000 from OutKast has a rap with a line that says Mike was a sellout. Mike's name isn't mentioned, but you can tell who he's talking about from clues like "tippy tippy toes" and "who's bad?". The song itself isn't about Mike though.
Thank you Duran-this is the kind of info I was looking for. I couldn't imagine Michael just sizing up two guys in his library and deciding that they were Prince Fans, and therefore showed funny clips of Prince.

And let's be honest. Under The Cherry Moon IS ridiculous. :D

When did this movie come out? 1986? I just watched the trailer-that looks like Kirsten Scott Thomas in it-I've never seen it, but guess I'll take your word for it that it's bad. I wonder why she was in it?
I finally saw "Purple Rain" a few years ago and it was pretty pitiful.

The Deele

Thank you Duran-this is the kind of info I was looking for. I couldn't imagine Michael just sizing up two guys in his library and deciding that they were Prince Fans, and therefore showed funny clips of Prince.
Here's some pictures of the group and a clip of their debut single from 1983.
29wvli0.jpg

mawift.jpg

I just watched the trailer-that looks like Kirsten Scott Thomas in it-I've never seen it, but guess I'll take your word for it that it's bad. I wonder why she was in it?
Here's a 2013 interview where she talks about Prince

Themidwestcowboy;4132363 said:
Can someone tell me when STTR and 2300 Jackson street was recorded?

2300 Jackson Street (song) was recorded in 1988. 2300 Jackson Street (album) was recorded 1988–89. Source: Wikipedia

Slave To The Rhythm was recorded in 1990 according to Damein Sheilds' book Xscape Origins.

OnirMJ;4132373 said:
2300 Jackson Street (song) was recorded in 1988. 2300 Jackson Street (album) was recorded 1988–89. Source: Wikipedia

Slave To The Rhythm was recorded in 1990 according to Damein Sheilds' book Xscape Origins.

Oh okey I meant the video but cool. I always thought STTR and 2300 Jackson street (video) were recorded in the same year.

Oh okey I meant the video but cool. I always thought STTR and 2300 Jackson street (video) were recorded in the same year.

They were not. The video was shot in March 1989. (Source: Wikipedia)

Jackson first met LA Reid & Babyface in 1990 (at BMI Michael Jackson Award on 8 May 1990, in Beverly Hills).

Last edited:
They were not. The video was shot in March 1989. (Source: Wikipedia)

Jackson first met LA Reid & Babyface in 1990 (at BMI Michael Jackson Award on 8 May 1990, in Beverly Hills).
Actually Babyface met the Jackson 5 in the mid-1970s when he was doing a report for his school newspaper. Babyface was on a local radio station doing an interview years ago and mentioned this. I think the interview was maybe the late 1980s or in the 1990s, don't remember exactly. He wasn't in the business at the time, just a student. I don't know if there's anything online about it. But I can check though.

I would hope that my friends and people around me are sincere enough to tell me when they think i'm out of line or when I act petty. At the end of the day I just don't believe in laughing at another persons expense.

When you watch tv programs or ytybe videos of people doing all sort of silly things and falling all over the place, and then laugh at those clips, you do get your laughs at their expense.

Michael was known for making people to watch Three Stooges, maybe he replaced his favourite comedy with Prince's movie and liked to show it to his visitors in privacy of his own home with confidentiality agreement signed. The only person here behaving like a prick is LA Reid for making it public to sell few extra books and Prince and Michael are both humiliated because of this a...hole.

If MJ did act like this towards Prince. So what. Prince has had his moments as well even Q said Prince gave MJ a box of stuff that look like "vodoo" stuff and MJ said " what is Prince trying to do put a hax on me". And in 1988 at the Grammy award show when MJ performed Man in the Mirror, every one stood up and was clapping exceptf Prince (he stood up but he was not clapping). We all at some point say things when we are in competition or appear to be in competition with someone else. That is HUMAN NATURE. But in the end, I think both men respected each other talent. Look at Madonna and some of the things she was rumored to have said about others. To me, it is no big deal regardless if true or not.

Last edited:
L.A has talked crap many times over the years about mj. Thats why some had a problem with his involvement in releases.

About the Jermaine thing. I think he acted like a jealous little kid. I doubt MJ wanted anything bad for him or his album. LA Reid & Babyface were just hot producers at the time and he wanted to try to make some hits with them and in the end it didn't happen. What would Janet had to say when MJ decided to work with "her" producers Jam and Lewis. She didn't act all jealous like Jermaine, she even helped them and even collaborated with them and Michael on one song. That's the difference between Janet and Jermaine. If he had any chance of success he would do it and his album wouldn't flop with MJ recording a full album with Reid and Babyface or not releasing anything. Like Janet had hits with Jam and Lewis before MJ worked with them and again after they worked with him on HIStory. I don't blame LA here, I think MJ knew how big of a jealous baby Jermaine was since their early J5 days when MJ was the lead singer instead of Jermaine. He was always jealous of Michael. And he still is.

Back in the '90's I really respected LA Reid, but these comments show his true colors. He's got no backbone.

Looks like La Reid will be on the Wendy william's show today. So you know they both will most likely be talking crap about Michael. You know Wendy never misses any opportunity to hate on Michael and she LOVES prince. So you already know. I'll be surprised if she doesn't talk crap about Michael.

He was on Kelly and Michael today-no dirt on anybody. He talked about Mariah Carey (I guess he produced her Emanicpation of Mimi album) and it was a great thing for them-a comeback for both.
He said she had just gone through "Glitter" and he had just been FIRED. And laughed. It was just real short-

He was on Kelly and Michael today-no dirt on anybody. He talked about Mariah Carey (I guess he produced her Emanicpation of Mimi album) and it was a great thing for them-a comeback for both.
He said she had just gone through "Glitter" and he had just been FIRED. And laughed. It was just real short-
. I hope you're right, but this is Wendy Williams we're talking about. You know how she can be when it comes to Michael.

Michael part around 27:35 and 39:50
First part is about the MJ clowning prince stuff from his book

The other part is when he was asked about who's his top 5 artist he said "It's Prince man, Prince is nr 1." And then the host asked before Michael? and he thought about it a bit and said "as a musician.." Then he said it's a debate, and tomorrow i'm gonna say it's Michael and then i go back and forth with that one. Definitely Michael & Prince"

[youtube]5Bdk6bhdbBA[/youtube]

Last edited:
I don't bother watching it as yesterday he said in one clip that Mariah C is his most influential artist. My comment on that, only if Mariah is his only artist:D

Michael part around 27:35 and 39:50
First part is about the MJ clowning prince stuff from his book

The other part is when he was asked about who's his top 5 artist he said "It's Prince man, Prince is nr 1." And then the host asked before Michael? and he thought about it a bit and said "as a musician.." Then he said it's a debate, and tomorrow i'm gonna say it's Michael and then i go back and forth with that one. Definitely Michael & Prince"

[youtube]5Bdk6bhdbBA[/youtube]

He is stupid as f*ck or should I say stupid as Kanye. He is the president of Epic Records! He should be promoting his artists! And he should have answered Michael here without a doubt. Even if he had to lie. That should be his job. I don't care if he prefers Prince but he should not have said that as a president of Epic Records!

Even if he had to lie. That should be his job. I don't care if he prefers Prince but he should not have said that as a president of Epic Records!
Why should he do that? The Deele sounded more like Prince's music than Mike's. Anyway, he's promoting his book, not the record label.

Anyway, he's promoting his book, not the record label.

But he is still the head of the record label. I just said that he is stupid business wise. As CEO of Epic Record he should know better what to say and what not.

Back