Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies (cancer)

I'm all messed up about this horrible news. :cry: I was so excited about his new album, pre-ordered it the second it was announced, now THIS! It's too much! David is one of the few artists whose work I'll buy without a second thought or a need to listen to a few tracks first. A LEGEND has left us, people! Another part of my childhood-to-adulthood is gone and it HURTS.

Words can just not express how sad this is. I love a lot of his music and I always found his image really inspiring. I loved the theatricalities and unique style he embraced and pioneered. He's been on my mind for the past few days from speaking to people and I went to my mates record shop today to pick up the new album. As soon as I walked into the shop I didn't even say hi to my mate, it was just like 'can you believe this???' We spent an hour talking about it and sort of weird Bowie experiences leading up to it. Remarkable how he made his death a part of his art. I'm really saddened and absolutely stunned. R.I.P David Bowie. An absolute one off, unique creative pioneering envelope pushing force.

I was shocked to hear about his passing because I, same as all of us in the public, wasn't aware of his battle with cancer. It truly is a horrendous plague on far too many families. Although I cannot claim to be an ardent connoisseur of his craft I could appreciate the honesty, creativity and individuality he stood for. I've always admired people unafraid to be themselves and David Bowie was most definitely such a man. I know he influenced great many people in the music industry and he has touched the lives of many around the world as it is obvious from the many comments I've read all day.

His family, especially his wife, Iman and his children are in my prayers and in my thoughts and his dedicated, lifelong fans (some of which are obviously here) have my utmost sympathy. It's always terrible to mourn the loss of one's heroes.

David-Bowie.jpg

Rest in peace David - brave and bright soul.

Yoko Ono

4 hrs ·

DAVID BOWIE
John and David respected each other. They were well matched in intellect and talent. As John and I had very few friends we felt David was as close as family.

After John died, David was always there for Sean and me. When Sean was at boarding school in Switzerland, David would pick him up and take him on trips to museums and let Sean hang out at his recording studio in Geneva.

For Sean this is losing another father figure. It will be hard for him, I know. But we have some sweet memories which will stay with us forever.

Yoko Ono Lennon
NYC, 11 January 2016

It's nice to see there's a group of us here who lives feel the same.

Weve all been there before I guess.

While Michael Jackson was my childhood and taught me about music, Bowie greeted me in my teenage years and showed me the other side of the spectrum with things I'd never dreamed. Bowie taught me that music shouldn't be taken at face value. Nor should it be given. While it's easy to think of Changes, Ziggy and Starman, what Bowie did in the mid to late 70s required a mature "me" to appreciate and understand. Going from glam, to plastic soul, to electronic, to avant grade, to African/tribal, to full blown pop... In 5 years. Organically!

Discovering each era of his music at in one go is one of the best journeys I've ever been on, and thinking back to that time today I realise that his music has become such a soundtrack to various parts of my life. Much like Michael, everyone has a different Bowie song they immediately think of when they hear his name.

Thank you you so much David Bowie. You are one of the few artists who taught us to be who we want, even if it's several people!

When you rock and roll with me, no one else I'd rather be.

Nate Giorgio:

"Devastating news to hear David Bowie's gone. One of my greatest memories was sitting with him and talking about art and painting after his show in New York. He was one of the greatest... a rare talent and filled with kindness, and I am very grateful to have met him. God bless you..."

12400582_490159907839533_899525025221480293_n.jpg

From what I've read, just his family members and close friends knew about David's battle with cancer that's why it came as a shock many of us if not all didn't knoow he was ill.

Another legend gone, he will be sorely missed. I just can thank him for the wonderful music he created. Ziggy returns truly now to the Stardust, where he will shine on forever!

photo.jpg

Comments from Billy Idol and Bruce Springsteen.
January 11, 2016
Statement from Billy Idol on David Bowie

"In this age of grand illusion you walked into my life out of my dreams.”

David Bowie was a beacon of light to young people in Britain’s socially disturbed & turbulent economy of the early 1970’s. He paved the way for Punk rock as he took an uncompromising stance against the conservative viewpoint of much of the intelligentsia of the day, and whether it was for gay rights or a fight for artistic freedom, or the right to state your case about the world, Bowie’s music led the way.

Not willing to be controlled by the artistic norms of the day he introduced many art forms into his world view…mime, dance, kabuki theater, film and character driven personas that broke new ground in rock music beset by others whose vision was limited to only one genre of music, art or film.

His sound & vision woke up this young Bromley boy & showed me that to strive for an artistic life was valuable & was a goal to reach & once attained, new vistas and new worlds would open up. Beyond a visionary, he was a prophet, and his influence will be felt as long as recorded music is still heard and many people’s struggle against social oppression is still being fought.

He was a giant on our scene engaged and genuinely interested in other artists reaching out in a way that made me, and I’m sure many others, feel like we were talking to a friend that cared deeply.

– Billy Idol

Bruce Springsteen
<a class="_5pcq" href="https://www.facebook.com/brucespringsteen/posts/10153720103920250" target=""><abbr title="maandag 11 januari 2016 om 19:40" data-utime="1452537653" data-shorten="1" class="_5ptz timestamp livetimestamp">4 hours</abbr> · New York, NY, United States

Over here on E Street, we&#8217;re feeling the great loss of David Bowie. David was a visionary artist and an early supporter of our music. Always changing and ahead of the curve, he was an artist whose excellence you aspired to. He will be sorely missed.
- Bruce

I too are saddened by this news, as David Bowie was also one of my favourite artists. I pretty much agree with all the sentiments here. After Prince and Michael Jackson obviously, Bowie was my favourite artist, along with Madonna and Elton John.

I first heard of Bowie in 1980 when my mother kept playing the "Fashion" single over and over and grew to like his music from Lets Dance to Labyrinth as it came out. I only really became a fan in the late 1990s and discovered his legendary 1970s output. All the albums from The Man who sold the World through to Scary Monsters and Super creeps are classics and I loved the way he evolved with each new album in sound and image. My favourite albums are Hunky Dory and Low, but I love pretty much all his 70s music.

It is sad he has died and never revealed his struggles with cancer to us, at the very least he can now be with Michael Jackson up there. RIP David and please say hi to Michael.

Fame, Space Oddity..Two of his songs that filled me up when they came out. I remember him doing the duet with Bing Crosby on Bing's Christmas show in 1977. Most unlikely pairing you'd ever see, but they were great together.

I'm crushed. I didn't even know he was sick. He was one of the greatest musicians all time and one of my top favorites. So heartbroken. :cry: My condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks Sarah for reminding me of David singing with Crosby, that was great duet:clapping:

I was talking with my friends and were wondering that there isn't many artists (I cannot say just singers because these guys are more than singers) left with longevity, originality and a little bit of eccentricity? Seemingly most of them new-comers can attract audiences attention for few years to ,lets say, ten years and then they are gone. They really don't make people like David and some others anymore:-(

^I truly believe the people exist but they just do not get the support needed anymore to make it into mainstream consciousness. Today's stars have to fit a certain mold in terms of appearance, image, musical style and marketability. And any originality and authenticity they might have largely gets stripped away. The same things that were valued in artists in the past are not anymore, at this moment. It's a shame...

^^Maybe you are right. When David and others burst in the scene, there were room for all sort of artists, but now it just seems that they are all the same, at least to me.

Another legend gone as the soul taken away once again.

R.I.P. David Bowie

I was just with my mom, and I needed that so bad. I needed my mommy :( when I heard the terrible news yesterday, the first person I thought of was my mom, because it was her who taught me his music from very early childhood, and many other great artists as well. but we didn't have the chance to get together till today, we just talked on the phone yesterday...and it was so good to just sit down with her and talk about it and those childhood memories, we even shed a tear...thanks mom for teaching me so much great music

anyway, I thought this was cute http://blogs.discovery.com/bites-an...m&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AnimalPlanet

Bowie's new album is set to be #1 in the US.

THIN WHITE DUKE TO UNSEAT QUEEN
1/12/16

It appears that David Bowie will be the first artist to unseat Adele from her perch atop the sales charts, albeit posthumously. Bowie's final album, Blackstar (Columbia), looks set to do more than 160k in its first week, as the rock icon's death drives a giant wave of consumer interest. Stay tuned for updated sales forecasts.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/rumor_mill

I think if it happens this will be his first #1 album in the US.

Bowie's new album is set to be #1 in the US.

I think if it happens this will be his first #1 album in the US.

Yup. And rightly so. Take away his death and it still deserves the spot. Such a refreshing and bizarrely brilliant album.

[h=1]David Bowie breaks Adele's Vevo record for most video views in one day[/h] Bowie died on Sunday (January 10) at the age of 69

2016_DAVIDBOWIE_LIFEINPIX_1972_Brian_Ward_Ziggy_027_110116.article_x4.jpg
Brian Ward
Luke Morgan Britton, 14th January 2016

Bowie died on Sunday (January 10) at the age of 69 and cremated privately soon after. Reports say that he had been suffering from liver cancer for 18 months.

Following the sad news of his passing, Bowie's back-catalogue was viewed on streaming service Vevo 51 million times overall on Monday (January 11), the day his death was announced.

Bowie saw a 5,198% overall increase in views, with 'Lazarus' the most-watched with 11.1 million views.

The number is the most views for any artist in one day in Vevo history. Previous record holder Adele attracted 36 million views when her 'Hello' video premiered in October.

2016Adele_GettyImages-500222094_120116.jpg
Press

The singer has been cremated in New York, according to reports. It is believed he was privately cremated without any friends and family present, as per his wishes. He wanted "to go without any fuss", a source told two UK newspapers.

Bowie released his final album 'Blackstar' on his 69th birthday last week (January 8), just days before passing away.

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/90775

by Mashaun D. Simon, Jan 11 2016, 11:59 pm ET
tumblr_o14ggwCJsn1rw606ko1_1280.jpg

David Bowie performs on the Dick Cavett Show on Dec. 4, 1974.

"You're going to make it…next year is your year!"

Music Icon David Bowie reportedly uttered these words to Luther Vandross in December of 1974. The declaration is just a snapshot of the special relationship between the two musical geniuses, recorded within the pages of the Craig Seymour biography, Luther: The Life and Longing of Luther Vandross.

Bowie, 69, died late Sunday evening after a year and a half long battle with cancer.
In many ways Bowie's praise of Vandross illustrates his utmost respect not only for Vandross, but for the creativity and originality of black artists overall.

In a 1983 interview with a very infant MTV, Bowie famously called out the network for their lack of black artists and hiding black music videos in overnight programming.

"It occurred to me having watched MTV over the last few months that it's a solid enterprise," Bowie says to VJ Mark Goodman. "It's got a lot going for it. I'm just floored by the fact that there's so few black artists featured on it. Why is that?"

DJ Sir Daniel, a local Atlanta party DJ, said Bowie had a standing relationship with the black community.
"David Bowie, and many other British musicians, arrived on American shores with a deep passion for R&B and Gospel music," Daniel told NBCBLK. "In particular, David would make his 'glam-rock' music, but would also jam with Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner and others to edify his love of Black American music."

Through his blue-eyed soul, said Daniel, Bowie delivered music "on a gritty and soulful level that resonated with African Americans."

"And of course he 'married into' the community via Iman," joked Daniel, referencing his 23 year marriage to the Somali-born supermodel. Today Iman remembered her husband of 23 years in a series of emotional and nostalgic Instagram posts.

Donnie Simpson, a staple of urban radio, told NBCBLK that when he heard the news of his passing, he could not help but think of Bowie's admiration and respect for black music and black culture. Add to that, Simpson said Bowie was just so, "cool and different."

"Back in the day David came to be a guest on Video Soul," said Simpson, referencing the program devoted to black artists that ran on BET from 1981-1996. "Other than Phil Collins and others, we did not get a lot of white artists on the show. He came to us and said to me that he saw value in the black community."

It was because of Bowie that Simpson remembers hearing Vandross' voice for the first time.

A chance encounter in a Philadelphia recording studio led to Vandross doing the vocal arrangements for Bowie's 1975 "Young Americans" project. Not only that, but Vandross would also receive writing credits on the album and go on to become one of Bowie's background vocalists for the tour.

The Showtime Documentary about Bowie's life, Five Years, shows rare footage of tour rehearsals where Luther Vandross and other backing singers like Robin Clark tirelessly refine complex and unconventional soul harmonies together for songs like "Right".
160111-luther-vandross-david-bowie-yh-0923p_94ef50884df05e256ee4dc997b30b620.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

A still from the Showtime Documentary, “Five Years”, in which David Bowie and Luther Vandross rehearse for the ’Young American’s tour in 1975.

Ava Cherry, a backing singer on the album says she brought Bowie to the Apollo in Harlem to help him build the soul sound that he kept hearing and wanted to be sonically part of. True to chameleon form, Bowie says in voiceover, "I tried to do my own version of that kind of music."

He was known to call his version "plastic soul".

According to the documentary, it was Carlos Alomar who introduced Vandross, among other musicians of color, to Bowie. Alomar, a Puerto Rican guitarist who met Bowie at RCA Recording Studios in 1974 went on to co-write the signature riff that evolved into the Bowie/Lennon hit, "Fame" and has played with everyone from Mick Jagger to Bruno Mars.

Simpson called the multitude of Twitter tributes on Monday a proud sign that so many different stars, especially black artists, appreciated Bowie and his influence, or were helped by him in some way or another.

He recalled a time when they were both scheduled to be in Minneapolis around the same time. Bowie invited Simpson to one of his performances while he was in town.

"He sits me at the soundboard where the sound engineer sits. Ray Leonard, who is my best friend, goes with me. We go to sit down, and it's actually funny, I spoke to the person in front of me saying, 'excuse me ma'am,'" Simpson remembers. "And Prince turns around."

Simpson breaks out in a hysterical laugh, adding that what he appreciated about Bowie and Prince at the time and even still today is how unapologetically different they were.

"Anyway, Prince turns around, addresses me, 'Hey Donnie,' and proceeds to invite me and Ray to a private party at Paisley Park [Prince's studio complex in Minneapolis]."

It was very private; just Prince, Simpson, Leonard, Bowie and one other individual.

"To get to hang with him, to get to know him and have that one-on-one time with him was a special treat for me," Simpson remembers. "He was just cool to me."

Bowie resonated with people. And because of his respect for the black community, Daniel said African Americans created a safe-space for Bowie.

"As a DJ, David Bowie resonates with me on an aesthetic level. His whole existence was a middle finger to gender stereotypes and roles," he said. "In order to do that you must be fearless and enjoy taking risks. I can't grow as an artist without pushing myself whether it's in appearance or music selection."

Simpson agrees and adds that Bowie's ability to be different created spaces and access. That was Bowie's biggest contribution; even bigger than the music.

"He helped the world accept different. Dude was different from all of his personas," said Simpson. "And I think he really helped people who saw themselves as different accept their difference."

Simpson shared an anecdote of a recent conversation with mega-producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The discussion shifted to Lady Gaga, her extravagant costuming -- he calls it her "get up" - and a mesmerizing incident where she shattered a Champagne glass on a piano while still singing and playing.

"I know different. I have seen different. And I like it," he said. "I like people who are not afraid to show themselves; I really do. And David Bowie was that. He was one who was not afraid to show himself in all the different facets of himself. I have mad respect for that, for his artistry, and for his bravery and willingness to express himself - to be himself no matter what you thought about it or him."

Bowie led the way, Daniel adds.

"Bowie's sonic footprint and fashion influence will echo forever because of musician's innate desire to express themselves and be free," he said. "In today's music market you can have a Lady Gaga and a Young Thug that both speak to their generation through music and fashion and push the envelope with little concern for normative thinking around gender."

David Bowie's 'Blackstar' Album Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart
Billboard
January 17, 2016

David Bowie&#8217;s final album, Blackstar, debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, giving the late music legend his first No. 1 album.

Bowie died on Jan. 10 of cancer, two days after the release of the album.

Blackstar was issued through ISO/Columbia Records and earned 181,000 equivalent album units in the U.S., during the week ending Jan. 14, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 174,000 were in pure album sales &#8211; Bowie&#8217;s biggest sales week for an album since Nielsen began electronically tracking point-of-sale music purchases in 1991. (His previous sales high in that span of time came when his last album, 2013&#8217;s The Next Day, bowed with 85,000 sold in its first week.)

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new Jan. 30, 2016-dated chart (where Bowie debuts at No. 1) will be posted in full to Billboard&#8217;s websites on Wednesday, Jan. 20. (Charts will be refreshed one day later than usual this week, due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Jan. 18.)

Clearly, music fans were moved by the news of Bowie&#8217;s death, as not only did Blackstar perform strongly, but he has nine further albums that either re-enter or debut on the Billboard 200 chart. Among them are two further titles in the top 40: the greatest hits collection Best of Bowie (No. 4) and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (No. 21).

Blackstar and Best of Bowie bring the artist&#8217;s total of top 10-charting albums to nine. He previously hit the region with The Next Day (peaking at No. 2 in 2013), Let&#8217;s Dance (No. 4, 1983), ChangesOneBowie (No. 10, 1976), Station to Station (No. 3, 1976), Young Americans (No. 9, 1975), David Live (No. 8, 1974) and Diamond Dogs (No. 5, 1974).

Best of Bowie, released in 2002, returns to the chart at No. 4 (a new peak) with 94,000 units (up from only a few thousand in the week previous). It sold 51,000 in pure album sales, gaining by 6,698 percent. (It originally peaked at No. 70 in 2002.)

Naturally, a significant portion (48 percent) of Best of Bowie&#8217;s total units during the latest week were driven by track and streaming equivalent album units of its popular tracks. Among the tunes on the album: 11 of his 13 top 40-charting singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Those include his six top 10 hits: &#8220;Fame&#8221; (No. 1 in 1975), &#8220;Golden Years&#8221; (No. 10, 1976), &#8220;Let&#8217;s Dance&#8221; (No. 1, 1983), &#8220;China Girl&#8221; (No. 10, 1983), &#8220;Modern Love&#8221; (No. 14, 1983), &#8220;Blue Jean&#8221; (No. 8, 1984), &#8220;This Is Not America&#8221; (with Pat Metheny, No. 32 in 1985) and &#8220;Dancing in the Street&#8221; (with Mick Jagger, No. 7 in 1987).

With Blackstar and Best of Bowie at Nos. 1 and 4, respectively, Bowie is one of the handful of acts to manage the feat of having two albums in the top four of the chart at the same time. Previous to Bowie, the last act to do so was Adele on the chart dated March 3, 2012. That week, in the wake of her performance and six wins at the Grammy Awards (Feb. 12), 21 held at No. 1 while her previous album 19 rose 9-4.

Blackstar is additionally the first posthumous No. 1 album since Michael Jackson&#8217;s This Is It soundtrack arrived atop the list dated Nov. 14, 2009. Jackson died earlier that year.

As for the rest of the new top 10 on the Billboard 200 chart, Adele&#8217;s 25 slips to No. 2 (143,000 units; down 26 percent) after seven consecutive weeks at No. 1. Justin Bieber&#8217;s Purpose also moves down a rung, to No. 3, with 104,000 units (down 17 percent).

Twenty One Pilots&#8217; Blurryface falls 3-5 (43,000; down 17 percent), The Weeknd&#8217;s Beauty Behind the Madness dips 4-6 (39,000; down 14 percent) and Chris Stapleton&#8217;s Traveller holds steady at No. 7 (33,000; down 20 percent). Bryson Tiller&#8217;s Trapsoul hits a new peak, climbing 9-8 with nearly 33,000 units (down only 8 percent).

https://www.yahoo.com/music/david-bowies-blackstar-album-debuts-no-1-billboard-182847437.html

Back