Lionel Richie talks about MJ in new interview

This is disgusting but not surprising. The surprising thing would be people who can remain ethical and respectful refusing to speak with filthy tabloids to trash a defenseless friend no matter how much money they offer or the press they wouldn't get. Nicole and her mother have defended and spoken about him with resoect more. It's always puzzled me all those backstabbers saying there was something very wrong with Michael but they didn't offer him their help.

This is disgusting but not surprising. The surprising thing would be people who can remain ethical and respectful refusing to speak with filthy tabloids to trash a defenseless friend no matter how much money they offer or the press they wouldn't get. Nicole and her mother have defended and spoken about him with resoect more. It's always puzzled me all those backstabbers saying there was something very wrong with Michael but they didn't offer him their help.

They had no business offering him "help". He didn't need help.
He didn't need fixing.
He didn't have to be like Joe Q.

There is nothing good in being a "normal" person.
Normal people have created this disgusting, greedy world we live in.

Jordan Chandler is supposed to be a normal person.
Diane Dimond is supposed to be a normal person.
Tom Sneddon was supposed to be a normal person.

God save the world from "normal" people!

What was most wrong about MJ is that he was capable of feeling love for complete strangers, and without even thinking about it.
Now that is not normal at all as most humans don't give a **** about strangers let alone love them.
They do not hug strangers like this:

[video]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By-8J9nCcAAGU6W.jpg[/video]

And they don't do this:

Michael Jackson Held My Hand, Too
https://veniceartsclub.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/michael-jackson-held-my-hand-too/

Or this:

Or this:
"This is the first time I've ever had anyone
contact me totally unsolicited. The man has a special quality about him and I hope his actions inspire others to do the same."

BwNEVA4CIAIQw2R.jpg

Yeah there was something seriously wrong with him indeed.

Last edited:
Lionel is not new to show business, Hollywood or the media. Certainly he would have known how words like "Something was seriously wrong with..." and "weird" would play out in the media, especially when it concerns Michael. If he had been genuinely worried about him why didn't he use words like, " I was concerned about him." or something of that nature?

I assume those people mean in the sense of his health since many of them mention how frail and thin he looked. I've never thought there was something wrong with way Michael conducted himself.

I assume those people mean in the sense of his health since many of them mention how frail and thin he looked. I've never thought there was something wrong with way Michael conducted himself.

But Michael was even thinner back in the 80's. So how come people weren't commenting on how ''unhealthy'' he was back then?

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;4088094 said:

I think the context makes it very clear what Lionel was talking about:

But the kids, the menagerie, the relentless plastic surgery. As a friend, did he ever take him to one side and say, ‘Michael, this is all a bit weird’?

‘Every time I saw him,’ he exhales. ‘There was something seriously wrong with Michael. But you have to understand that this is Hollywood so you can’t use the word “weird”.

'In Des Moines, Illinois, you’d get locked up; in Hollywood it’s just another day.

I honestly never expected these comments from Lionel. What a way to throw a dead friend under the bus to make yourself look better. And why would you even grant an interview to one of the trashiest tabloids out there, let alone promote it on your Twitter account? That alone is disrespectful to Michael.

^I didn't expect him to go that low either. Lionel never trashed him when Michael was alive, not even when the allegations hit in 1993 and 2005. He didn't trash him when he passed (if I remember correctly.) If there was "something seriously wrong with Michael," why did LR and his wife back then Brenda, accepted him as the godfather of their first child? Why did they allow Nicole to spend many moments with him? Does Daily Fail offer them millions the trashier they talk about Michael?

This David Nordahl quote is fitting and relevant.

"He was an enigmatic figure and people didn't know what to make of him. And when people don't know what to make of you, they make up stories.
After the time, when he was accused, I got calls from all the rags and they had cash money... the rags were running around from England over here with cases full of money, and they pay anybody who talked about Michael. But it had to be negative stuff. And I told them, I don't know anything bad about Michael, so I can't help you. One time they wanted to know who all those children were, you know, in Field Of Dreams. And I said, they're all madeup, I made them all up. I didn't have photos to work from, I made all that stuff up. And so they were disappointed at that. I got many calls. They wanted me to talk about Michael to get something new, something that was bad about Michael. I didn't know anything.
But (other) people did talk, and they took the money. The one lady that worked on the ranch, she took 35000. And she apologised afterwards, she was crying and all that, because Michael had actually helped her. She was a single mother with a daughter, and he bought a TV for her, you know... or gave her some money at one point and then to turn around and stab someone in the back..."
- David Nordahl

Last edited:
Yeah, disappointed with these comments.

I'm glad I didn't bother buying Lionel's overpriced concert tickets.

He is fully aware of how they wrote the article and what effect his words had. He's promoting it on his twitter and Facebook page with no explanation. Earlier his Facebook had "my good friend" in quotation marks. Thats been removed (he was being called out for it by fans). Along with all his appearances that are coming up. Promotion? As the saying goes, "I don't care what you say as long as you get my name right". So I doubt he is too concerned, after all his names in the news.
It's the same sh*t press has spun in the 80's, the 90's and the 2000's. Spin the facts and ignore the truth sitting right in front of everyone's face. Nothing new. Their still so threatened by him it's incredible.
While Ritchie's getting ready for his stint on Carnival Cruise Lines, Michael's music is being played and sung on the streets in Baltimore. Quincy, Ritchie, Landis etc.. all want credit for MJ's genius and the status that went with it. Not gonna happen.

If he thought MJ was so off and in trouble, why then was Michael Nicole Ritchie's godfather? I do think some of his words were spun, but he knows and is going along with it, at this point anyway. What about Michael's children?

castor;4088077 said:
So as he got older he was hanging out with the only people he felt comfortable with, and that was the kids.

Load of crap.

He was also hanging out with adults both men and women.
He hang out with Sophie Loren, Jane Fonda, Diana Ross, Liz Taylor, Marlon Brando and Miko Brando
David Nordhal, Brad Sunberg, Brooke *******, Stephanie Mills etc.
And even Lionel Richie. Was he a kid or what?

But the kids, the menagerie, the relentless plastic surgery.

What is so weird about any of those?
Kids were there because they wanted to be there. They LOVED MJ.
He had animals because he loved animals. Big deal.
Plastic surgery is done every day on thousands of people. So what?

Why is not NASCAR, flag waving or weddings considered weird?
Simply because a lot of humans do that.
That's the key.
As long as you do the same weird things as millions of others you are not weird.
Eh....humans and their logic!

'So if you want to employ staff to look after your chimpanzee and your giraffes, then that’s perfectly normal.’

Oh the humanity! He had a zoo. How weird indeed.
I'm waiting for him to call Prince Jackson weird because he has all those reptiles.
And while we are at it let's call Steve Irwin the biggest weirdo in the galaxy.
He not only lived with animals he got so close to them that they killed him.

‘Every time I saw him,’ he exhales. ‘There was something seriously wrong with Michael.

Now where did that come from?
We saw the video of WATW as Richie and MJ were working together.
He didn't seem like someone who thought something was wrong with Michael.
And if something was so wrong with him why the heck did you let your daughter hang out with him, sleep in his room
why did you work with him at all? Why didn't you just avoid him?
Hypocrite.

“We’ll never get involved with drugs”. And he died of just that.’

What? Never "get involved with drugs" when you have a ****ing balloon under your skin and
you feel your head will split in half? Yeah sure he shouldn't have taken anything just feel the pain.
That's what people do in the 21th century.
And if you can't sleep for days, hey do whatever you want but don't ever ever take sedatives because then
you will be labelled a junkie.
MJ didn't "get involved with drugs" he was prescibed drugs because he had medical problems.

MJ NEVER dissed Richie or any other artist to the press. Never.
And what did he got in return?
Betrayal by his so called friends.
**** them.

You are spot on! Esp about the drugs issue. I suffer from chronic pain and take strong painkillers everyday to function. It is not a big a weakness to be ill and to take drugs prescribed by a doctor to relieve physical pain. Lionel should thank his lucky stars he didn't have to suffer the sort of severe pain and insomnia Michael had to live with everyday day of his life.

the menagerie
If you look back in history there are other rich men who took exotic animals from across the world for their private park.
Today lot´s of money is inwolved with the trafficking of exotic animals.
In several states in the U.S. people can have a tiger or another big cat in a cage in their back yard
In Ohio some years ago a man had several big cats , bears etc in cages .
He opened them and then killed himself.

Michael´s animals were treated good and he had a veternarian for them.
Big cats in backyards dies fron infections because people don´t want to pay a veterinarian, they are not healthy because they are given wrong food

Well, I didn't want to say anything right away because I was determined that the tabloid had twisted his words. Just a few months ago, he gave Billboard an interview and he told the same snake story-except that time he said he jumped up screaming and told Michael "you're a freaking crazy expletive" or something like that. I didn't think much of it except I would probably do the same if a big boa came at me like that. It was kinda funny.

But I really expected a statement by now that they had misunderstood him-it's been 2 days and nothing. I am just so disappointed-especially since they go all the way back to Michael's earliest days at Motown. And they're BOTH products of Hollywood pressure and fame. He knows the affect Hollywood can have on children-his own daughter went through a horrible time. And he knows better than to use certain words to a tabloid.

And if he REALLY thought something was "terribly wrong" with Michael (as all the headlines are declaring), he definitely wouldn't have let Nicole be with him, much less make him her godfather.

It's as if Gladys Knight, or Stevie Wonder or Berry Gordy would suddenly say something disparaging-he knows better than to say stuff like this. And it makes me just sad.

Last edited:
I'm not really seeing anything bad...
I'm sure everyone around him had similar thoughts as the years went by.

I'm not really seeing anything bad...
I'm sure everyone around him had similar thoughts as the years went by.

Lionel was not around him in his later years.
And what he said doesn't make any sense anyway.
Every time he saw him there was something seriously wrong with him?

What? He didn't tell.

And every time?

So was he the only person in MJ's life who saw something terribly wrong every time he met him and everyone else
were just lucky not to see the same thing when they were with MJ?

What was it about Lionel that suddenly made MJ so seriously wrong?

My feeling is that Lionel Richie feels chuffed that he has been able to maintain an image of the pop superstar who remained unaffected by fame. If it were a competition between him and Michael, he must feel he has won. After all, he is normal, drug-free and alive! And a part of his down-to-earth charm is 'keeping it real' about his 'friends'.

All I will say about this whole thing is that I am no longer surprised by what people say because I recognise that jealous and envy can poison even the strongest of friendships. Let us not fool ourselves - entertainers (both and past and present) KNOW the scope and breadth of Michael Jackson's legacy and a whole let of them are jealous. Because even in death he is outselling them. My baby is steady laughing cause his 'weird' 'child molesting' self was able to sell out the O2 arena 50 freaking times, while Lionel (bless his normal, well-adjusted heart) can't say the same! Boo Yaa!

My feeling is that Lionel Richie feels chuffed that he has been able to maintain an image of the pop superstar who remained unaffected by fame.

Lionel was never treated the way MJ was partly because he was not the first black dude who made white girls faint and he was not the first black dude who owned the whiteys big time!

Lionel Ritchie normal? The fact many people are unfaithful doesn't mean is normal. Imagine if Michael had been unfaithful to his spouses like Richie was to Nicole's mother, it's not a secret he's treated worse by the media even if other celebs do it too. But I agree the jealousy and envy are big because no matter how much the media worked so hard to destroy him, he had 2 successful albums and one successful tour after the fist allegations and was going to have the most successful comeback after the second ones.

While Ritchie's getting ready for his stint on Carnival Cruise Lines, Michael's music is being played and sung on the streets in Baltimore.

THIS! As much as it's troublesome to consistently have to listen to people tear down MJ's personal life, the fact of the matter is his art (which he put his heart and soul into) has stayed pure. To know that his music and his message were/are/continue to be played for Ferguson, for Baltimore, for Paris, for New York, is to know that no matter what his "friends" and enemies say about him, he was and will always be one of the most influential people across the world. Not the US, not Europe, not Japan, the world. Period.

My feeling is that Lionel Richie feels chuffed that he has been able to maintain an image of the pop superstar who remained unaffected by fame. If it were a competition between him and Michael, he must feel he has won. After all, he is normal, drug-free and alive! And a part of his down-to-earth charm is 'keeping it real' about his 'friends'.

What is "normal"? I think Lionel should look at his own family first.

The whole "normal" talk reminds me of the news anchor I saw right after MJ's death saying things like he hoped MJ's children would end up with Jermaine because he "looks so normal" he certainly would raise them right. :doh: The suggestion seemed to be that finally MJ's kids can be raised by "normal people" like Jermaine, not by some "freak" like Michael. So you know what is the "normal" concept for some of these people. That you look normal. That Jermaine neglects even his own children doesn't matter. People judge based on looks.

What is "normal"? I think Lionel should look at his own family first.

The whole "normal" talk reminds me of the news anchor I saw right after MJ's death saying things like he hoped MJ's children would end up with Jermaine because he "looks so normal" he certainly would raise them right. :doh: The suggestion seemed to be that finally MJ's kids can be raised by "normal people" like Jermaine, not by some "freak" like Michael.
Wow. I have to honestly say your post about the news anchor really shocked me. People really are clueless, aren't they?

:mat:

I am going to try to not reply to this INFLAMING article about Lionel Ritchie with the rage and disgust I am really starting to feel for him when he talks of Michael now !!

Maybe he would have been more better served if he listened to Michael in the first place !
He should have said `` I WILL NOT BECOME A REPEAT LOW DOWN CHEATING HUSBAND TO MY MANY WIVES``!
Michael was not on drugs by choice and was never a cheating, fame hungry, obsessed wretch either !
You bury yourself with every word you say about Michael ! As it should be, your fans don`t remember you, maybe because you are a drinker not a drugger, your not any better because you lived !

Psssst Lionel fyi you ever wonder why the whispering and conversations stop when you leave and enter a room !!
Its not fame Lionel.. they all know as well as we do that there is seriously SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU !
We will just have to wait to see who comes out and will expose your REAL LIFE to the same people you just tried to slander Michael to in this article !

Maybe they will show your picture next to Michael on the cover ! They may or may not make Michael shot smaller because you were alive to give your exclusive for the cover! Don`t plan on it though, Michael is still selling more albums then you so he will be the one to sell the article your feeling so famously in !

Say it with me now Lionel -> Thank you Michael again for using your legacy to help further my long and scandalous career ! Thank, you I love you little brother !

To hard for you STILL... :swoon:

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest and believe me this is as PG13 as I can get it !!!

:hysterical:

All I will say about this whole thing is that I am no longer surprised by what people say because I recognise that jealous and envy can poison even the strongest of friendships. Let us not fool ourselves - entertainers (both and past and present) KNOW the scope and breadth of Michael Jackson's legacy and a whole let of them are jealous. Because even in death he is outselling them. My baby is steady laughing cause his 'weird' 'child molesting' self was able to sell out the O2 arena 50 freaking times, while Lionel (bless his normal, well-adjusted heart) can't say the same! Boo Yaa!

Well, I think Lionel just wants a little more attention that´s why he´s saying those things

Lionel sounds so old, so outdated, he tried to get attention by laughing of Michael, Lionel doesn't look better by just making Michael looking worse...

Well i think he just said what he had thought. Don't think it was because of getting attention and so on...

And he is partly right. Michael had some real problems. And i think everyone who knew him wanted to help him! ;)

But that doesn't mean that he was a bad Person or that Lionel didn't like him or something like that! :D

Michael didn't become addicted to painkillers by choice and/or recreational purposes. After the burn accident, he underwent surgeries to reconstruct his scalp TWICE which were extremely painful, as well as the recoveries. Over the years he tried to stay sober but remember, being Michael Jackson is both a benefit and a curse, millions of us still adore him for his geniality and what he did, he accomplished his wish to be loved for that reason but many ones hate him too or hate his success. Michael was a helpless drug addict but to be a drinker for any other celeb is socially acceptable even if some of them are alcoholics.

Lionel Ritchie you are "UGLY" man. I live not far from Glastonbury and I would not got to see you if someone gave me free tickets. Michael IMO wasa not a drug addict. He had a dependency on pain killers at certain times for physical pain and mental pain.

Back