Little Michael Appreciation Thread.

Jacksons 5 and Michael all around is just Great :clapping: My contributions for now :)

Michael teenager

Last edited:
Can you tell me how the general audience reacted to The Jacskons split from Motown? Was it meet with hostility or did they embrace the change? I find that period to be very interesting.

There were a couple of high profile Motown acts that left the label during that period (pre-80s). I remember some local radio hosts thought the Jacksons would fail without Motown, even called them ungrateful (I'm from Michigan)! I thought that was an ironic pov to question their loyalty when the label itself moved out west to be closer to a bigger music scene (which made sense). The J5 was becoming stagnant and wanted to do their own music, wanted to grow as artists. They couldn't do that with Motown and most of the fans understood; I know I did! I'm glad they made that break from the label. It was time and that decision proved to be a smart one in the long run.

Edit I thought it was petty for Berry Gordy to take the rights to their band name, Jackson 5/J5/Jackson 5ive from them.

Edit I thought it was petty for Berry Gordy to take the rights to their band name, Jackson 5/J5/Jackson 5ive from them.

It was, but weren't they originally The Jacksons prior to Motown? Obviously they would have liked to have kept the name that brought them everything, but at least it wasn't the worst alternative.

From all I've read, Berry was a very bitter person at times.

It was, but weren't they originally The Jacksons prior to Motown? Obviously they would have liked to have kept the name that brought them everything, but at least it wasn't the worst alternative.

From all I've read, Berry was a very bitter person at times.

They were called the Jackson Brothers before Marlon and Mike joined the group. Once that happened they became the Jackson 5. That was before they signed with Motown. Berry and his label had nothing to do with their band name, which is why I said he was being petty to keep it. I'm not sure how the label came to own the name in the first place. At one point Berry even hinted he'd sign another group of 5 and call them the Jackson 5! Wtf...

Amazing guys! Keep posting songs!

I really really adore got to be there! Tell me who wouldn't pay money to hear older Mike sing the old Motown classics? :D

Back