Making Michael: Inside the Career of Michael Jackson (Excerpts on page 19)

Thoughts about the book Making Michael?

Just finished reading the book and I was wondering what your thoughts are about it? I have many things I want to discuss and some stuff really rubbed me the wrong way..

I know there was another thread about it but I couldn't find it.

Re: Thoughts about the book Making Michael?

And there will be another litany of illadvised books that will be unleashed in 2017

Making Michael is a great book, one of the very best I've read. I keep banging on about how much I love it but it's such a good read.

Re: Thoughts about the book Making Michael?

Just finished reading the book and I was wondering what your thoughts are about it? I have many things I want to discuss and some stuff really rubbed me the wrong way..

I know there was another thread about it but I couldn't find it.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts before I purchase.

Contacted my library to get the book and while they weren't able to get the physical copy, they still hooked me up with the eBook! Can't wait to read :D

Did it really happen?

Quoted from Bryan Malouf:

"Michael was required to spend a certain amount of hours a day with the chimp, or he would never be his pet, so Bubbles would come to the studio at least twice a week. Michael was such a gentle person, so it was shocking to see him physically reprimanding this chimp in the form of the hardest smack right on top of its mouth. It was right in the face, but from the chimp's reaction it didn't seem like it hurt. Michael said he was given instructions from the chimp's trainer to do that to discipline it."

That`s great.

https://www.makingmichael.co.uk/sin...-Making-Michael-volume-two-coming-soon​

.Announcement: Making Michael volume two coming soon

November 12, 2017|

Mike Smallcombe​

Over the past six months I've thought long and hard about my next project, and I've come to the decision that I have unfinished business with Michael.

Firstly, the feedback from fans who have read 'Making Michael' has been overwhelming. So I feel this work needs to reach a wider audience.

Secondly, I know there is so much more to uncover when it comes to the life and work of Michael Jackson.

As a result, I've decided that I am going to fully revise and update 'Making Michael', with lots of new information and extra chapters.

I am targeting a release date of late August 2018, to coincide with what would have been Michael's 60th birthday.

I will shortly begin the process of reaching out to more people who worked with Michael, so I can get the answers to the many questions I have.

In the meantime, those who have read 'Making Michael' can leave their feedback, and let me know which parts of Michael's career they want me to research for the second volume.

I better get to work.

Mike Smallcombe

info@makingmichael.co.uk​

Mike is the author of Making Michael, a book on the career of Michael Jackson. Find out more here.

Mike Smallcombe‏ @mikesmallcombe1 · 16. Nov.
Recently I was in Moscow, and I visited the hotel room where Michael created ‘Stranger in Moscow’. I’m working on an extensive piece about the song/1993 trip, and will possibly dedicate an entire chapter to it in #MakingMichaelBook2

​

​

​

Bump!

The recent discussion in the "Dangerous" thread made me realize that some of the fans are getting their information about the process of Michael's songwriting/composing from this book, which obviously includes some interviews from the collaborators of Michael after his passing...

"Some who worked with Michael felt that having musicians execute his ideas was a form of cheating. One musician, who worked with Michael for over 15 years and will remain unnamed, said: “The problem with Michael is that he would often have musical secretaries. He would sit down with a musician and have them play parts he had in his head. If a musician played a certain part, Michael would then say, ‘No not like that’, and then when the musician played it differently, he would say, ‘Yeah like that, like that!’ On the musician’s part, this would sometimes be classed as writing.” Another musician, who also worked with Michael for over 15 years, shares a similar view. “Sometimes what musicians would do for Michael would border on writing. Michael would sing a note to a musician, and he would play a chord, sometimes making writing decisions without getting credited for it.” Matt Forger totally disagrees with this viewpoint. “These were situations where Michael worked with different people to help him realise his ideas; sometimes the people working with him contributed ideas as well,” he said. “It would have to be a case-by-case evaluation. I worked on many songs that Michael created from scratch. Others may have opinions of their own, but other people were not responsible for writing his hit songs. They may have played a part, but it was usually in support of him.” Bill Bottrell is also in Michael’s corner. “Michael was better than most at knowing the difference between writing and everything else that goes on,” he said. “We split our compositions clearly and fairly.” After the creation of a demo Michael would then take it to the main studio, such as Westlake, where the session musicians would record a final musical track. Michael would then add his vocals. After this, it was a case of sweetening the track before the engineers (usually Bruce Swedien) mixed it."

An excerpt from the book.

I wonder who these two musicians are, I suspect one of them being Brad Buxer hence his bitterness about SIM.

Anybody have any ideas and what do you guys think about the comments of these two anonymous musicians?

Back