Michael Jackson Chimp Script 'Bubbles' Tops Black List

You can't insert vocal cords into a chimp. Or to be precise, you can, but they would be defunct cause they need to be innervated. Human languages also require a specific make up of one's mouth and I'm not sure if chimps match human's oral and nasal cavities.

^^No, you can't, but it doesn't matter. It's just one of the wierd, wacky stories that spread like wildfire back in the day.
This guy didn't have to read Evans book. Just a bunch of tabloid rags that repeat, repeat.
Just like the Porcelana story at the beginning. Widespread rumour.

I swear this weekend I read no less than 10 different news stories that said Michael outbid Paul for the catalog and Paul never forgave him or spoke to him again. Lies.

All of us could have written this script w/o reading a single book.

I have read some comments under one of the articles. While most of them were the predictable cynical "jokes" that people somehow still think make them funny, but many said it doesn't sound like a good idea and the story is past its selling date. I guess even people who don't care for MJ can see that MJ "jokes" about his skin, allegations etc. are starting to get old and tired and people should just let the man rest in peace instead of still trying money off his name.

Here is the scriptwriter's Twitter: https://twitter.com/isaacadamson/with_replies

He says it may take several years to produce it.

I don't even know how it is legally possible. I mean MJ is dead and he was a public figure, but the script names and portrays other people too - people who are still very much alive and who are not public figures.

From the little I have read, I don't know what made this script get second place on the Black List. To me it sounds idiotic, to be honest. I guess once again it's MJ's name that is being the magnet - and the prospect of cracking cheap, unoriginal, decades old "jokes" at his expense.

I think fans should be smart about this. Not create much buzz about it, not bombard the creator with hate mails etc. Sometimes fans are their (and MJ's) own worst enemies by bringing attention to something with their behavior that otherwise would not attract much interest in the general public. But if they hear a bunch of angry MJ fans are protesting it, it could create some attention to this film.

Last edited:
^^I totally agree with that. No one's going to hear from me on this, except here.
We do not need to call any kind of attention to it.
I actually thought the Black List was supposed to be prestigious. Apparently not.

I did make a lot of comments about the Paul outbid thing, but that's extremely different.

I think what used to be considered prestigious and what is now are very different things. Less attention paid to this the better. I hope it flops.

I read somewhere that telling the story from Bubble's POV is just a way to make an unauthorized biopic about MJ without any legal trouble.
The movie is going to be a tragic hot mess just as I expected it would be, and I hope it flops like a pancake.:)

Well, any worries I had about this film have gone out the window. Taika Waititi, the incredible director behind Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (one of 2016's greatest films - seriously) and the upcoming Thor film is directing the Bubbles film.

For those of you who don't know, Waititi is arguably New Zealand's greatest film director and is a HUGE Michael Jackson fan. I mean HUGE, and he's made no attempt to hide this as you can see in his 2010 film Boy, where he made Michael Jackson a center figure in the film. The main character Boy looks up to Michael Jackson with great admiration in the film and it's represented numerous times in the film. Additionally, as you can see from his statement below, he's not comfortable with telling a story that's disrespectful to Michael, or even focuses on Michael.

I'm actually looking quite forward to this film now! I'm so glad a filmmaker as great as Waititi who has a huge appreciation and understanding for Michael Jackson is helming it.

---------

Taika Waititi's Statement:
“It’s an idea that fascinates me and one I want to develop further,” Waititi, who made Michael Jackson a central figure in his 2010 award-winning film Boy, said.

“Most people know I’m a huge Michael Jackson fan, so the main thing for me is to make sure it’s respectful of him and his legacy. I’m not interested in making a biopic; I want to focus on telling a story that blends fact and fantasy, about an animal trying to make sense of the world.

“This film is not about Michael Jackson because that’s not a story for me to tell – or a story I’d be comfortable telling – it’s about a chimpanzee’s fascinating journey through the complex jungle of human life.

“I think animation is the only way to approach a story like this. I really loved Anomalisa because it was beautiful and authentic in its meditation on loneliness. I’m really excited to be working with Dan Harmon and Starburns as we share similar sensibilities and want to tell human stories in unique and artistic ways.”

E6a17Ri.jpg

Well, any worries I had about this film have gone out the window. Taika Waititi, the incredible director behind Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (one of 2016's greatest films - seriously) and the upcoming Thor film is directing the Bubbles film.

For those of you who don't know, Waititi is arguably New Zealand's greatest film director and is a HUGE Michael Jackson fan. I mean HUGE, and he's made no attempt to hide this as you can see in his 2010 film Boy, where he made Michael Jackson a center figure in the film. The main character Boy looks up to Michael Jackson with great admiration in the film and it's represented numerous times in the film.
Thank you so much for that. I read this somewhere else and they gave his credits, but didn't mention Boy. That makes a lot of difference to me too.

I didn't get to see Boy, but I really wanted to. (It didn't play here). But I read rave reviews about it and all of them talked about his admiration for Michael in the film and it sounded great.

Thank you so much for that. I read this somewhere else and they gave his credits, but didn't mention Boy. That makes a lot of difference to me too.

I didn't get to see Boy, but I really wanted to. (It didn't play here). But I read rave reviews about it and all of them talked about his admiration for Michael in the film and it sounded great.

It's a great film, I really love it! Michael is brought up many times and it's just wonderful. It's on iTunes and Netflix in a number of countries :)

I posted about it here a few months back.

HIStoric;4183537 said:

For those of you who don't know, Waititi is arguably New Zealand's greatest film director and is a HUGE Michael Jackson fan. I mean HUGE, and he's made no attempt to hide this as you can see in his 2010 film Boy, where he made Michael Jackson a center figure in the film. The main character Boy looks up to Michael Jackson with great admiration in the film and it's represented numerous times in the film. Additionally, as you can see from his statement below, he's not comfortable with telling a story that's disrespectful to Michael, or even focuses on Michael.

I'm actually looking quite forward to this film now! I'm so glad a filmmaker as great as Waititi who has a huge appreciation and understanding for Michael Jackson is helming it.

---------

Taika Waititi's Statement:
“It’s an idea that fascinates me and one I want to develop further,” Waititi, who made Michael Jackson a central figure in his 2010 award-winning film Boy, said.

“Most people know I’m a huge Michael Jackson fan, so the main thing for me is to make sure it’s respectful of him and his legacy. I’m not interested in making a biopic; I want to focus on telling a story that blends fact and fantasy, about an animal trying to make sense of the world.

“This film is not about Michael Jackson because that’s not a story for me to tell – or a story I’d be comfortable telling – it’s about a chimpanzee’s fascinating journey through the complex jungle of human life.

“I think animation is the only way to approach a story like this. I really loved Anomalisa because it was beautiful and authentic in its meditation on loneliness. I’m really excited to be working with Dan Harmon and Starburns as we share similar sensibilities and want to tell human stories in unique and artistic ways.”

E6a17Ri.jpg
Whew!
Thank Gawd!
I was worried.:lol:

Now all I have to worry about is that Lifetime biopic. :/

Netflix Lands Michael Jackson Pet Chimp Film, ‘Bubbles’

Netflix strikes again.

The streaming leviathan is closing in on a blockbuster deal for “Bubbles,” a stop motion animated film about Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee that is selling at this year’s Cannes Film Festival market. The simian story is brought to audiences by Taika Waititi, who directed “The Hunt for the Wilderpeople” and the upcoming “Thor:Ragnarok.” It’s co-directored by Mark Gustafson (“Fantastic Mr. Fox”).

Deadline first reported the news. An insider says the pact is for worldwide rights and the figure is just under $20 million.

Netflix is a big presence at this year’s Cannes Film Festival. For the first time, the streaming service has movies playing in competition — Noah Baumbach’s “The Meyerowitz Stories” and Bong Joon-ho’s “Okja.” On the festival circuit, Netflix has been an active buyer, snapping up the likes of “Mudbound,” “Icarus,” and “The Incredible Jessica Jones.”

CAA handled the sale.

http://variety.com/2017/film/markets-festivals/netflix-michael-jackson-1202431576/

Taika Waititi presented Michael in such a funny, sweet and positive light on Boy that I'm sure he will do the same on Bubbles, I can't wait to see see it! I hope it's available on Netflix worldwide because Boy wasn’t.

:lol:
tumblr_ogfvtfWGFa1vw5teno1_500.gif

May 11, 2018 by Alex Ritman The Hollywood Reporter
gettyimages-670489014.jpg

Taika Waititi stopped by the Croisette on Friday to discuss several of his upcoming projects, while describing his time on undoubtedly the biggest film of his career to date.

Speaking in Cannes at the International Film Finance Forum presented by Winston Baker, together with actor-turned-director Paul Dano, the New Zealand filmmaker talked about his dark WWII comedy Jojo Rabbit, which stars Scarlett Johansson and Sam Rockwell and is due to start shooting in two weeks in Europe.

“It’s really upbeat fun, it’s a heartfelt, dark comedy, I didn’t even have to pitch it to Fox Searchlight,” he said of the satire, in which a young boy longs to be a part of the Hitler Youth and whose imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler. “It’s really hard to pitch WWII movies, and then you say, don’t worry, it’s going to be funny.”

Further down the line, Waititi has his stop-motion animation film Bubbles, which Netflix acquired in Cannes last year.

“I always wanted to do a side project while making other films,” he said of the film. “It’s the fascinating and hilarious story of Michael Jackson’s chimpanzee, the life and times. We’re all fascinated by Michael, but what about the characters on the periphery? No one ever asks about Bubbles and how he felt during that time.”

Waititi’s and Jemaine Clement’s hit mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows was recently greenlit for a TV series by FX, with Kayvan Novak (Danger Mouse), Matt Berry (Toast of London), Natasia Demetriou (Year Friends) and Harvey Guillen (The Thundermans) set to star.

However, Waititi suggested that his involvement in the show might be limited, and confirmed that he wouldn’t be returning to appear in front of the camera.

“It’s the same universe, but different characters,” he said. “It’s like a documentary crew in New York found this new bunch of vampires.”

But it was Thor: Ragnarok, his hugely successful first trip into Marvel’s superhero universe last year, that Waititi was able to elaborate on.

“Thor was such huge comfort shift, and something I was not prepared for at all,” he said. “But with my smaller films, I wasn’t feeling very challenged; I wasn’t feeling out of my comfort zone.”

Despite Thor: Ragnorok being Waititi’s first studio film, he said he was surprised by how much freedom he was given.

“There are jokes in there that have no business being in that movie,” he said. “But Kevin Feige just said, 'Yeah, more of that stuff.' It was very strange what they were encouraging me to do.”

Ragnorok shot in Australia, which Waititi said was too far away to have any studio executives visit and interfere.

“I was always looking over my shoulders wondering why they’re letting us do this,” he said. “Then I realized they could change anything in post.”

Just revisiting this old story in the light of continuing 'controversy' about one of the Producers who acquired it. The first planned Director moved on (good for him!), but the script is still 'out there' with the likely producer. The script is thoroughly unpleasant, and highlights the allegations against Michael.

Firstly about the acquisition:

Spec Spotlight: Isaac Adamson Talks “Bubbles”
Jul 19, 2016 | Industry

Isaac Adamson felt he had a toehold in the film industry when his first novel, Tokyo Suckerpunch, was optioned in 2000—but his spec script Bubbles launched him to a whole new level. Here’s his story.

Growing up in Fort Collins, Colorado, Adamson studied film at the University of Colorado at Boulder but soon learned he preferred writing fiction. “I was an awful cinematographer—nothing I shot ever looked the way I wanted—and I learned pretty quickly that while re-shooting a terrible scene cost a pretty penny, rewriting a terrible sentence is free,” he said.

The optioning of Tokyo Suckerpunch—a detective story blending martial arts, gangsters, geishas, and Japanese pop culture—demystified the screenwriting process as Adamson saw the scripts generated during development. After crafting the time-bending thriller, Complication, published in 2012, he wrote his first script, a caper about bumbling criminals accidentally killing Chicago’s mayor. It’s still in the “metaphorical drawer,” but writing it forced him to learn screenwriting, and gave him confidence.

“I’ve been concentrating on screenwriting for about the last three years—and only making a full-time living at it for about the last year or so—so it still feels a little funny calling myself a screenwriter,” he said.

He first thought of Bubbles, a biopic of Michael Jackson by way of his beloved chimpanzee, after running across two items: a news story about Bubbles living in a Florida ape sanctuary after Jackson’s death, and Me Cheetah: My Life in Hollywood, a 2009 pseudo-memoir about the chimp who played Tarzan’s simian pal. The idea of seeing Jackson through Bubbles’s eyes intrigued Adamson, but the story didn’t fully gel until he saw 2014’s Dawn of the Planet of the Apes portray the conflict and hierarchy within the primate social structure.

“A lightbulb just went off: What if Bubbles spoke with a pseudo-Shakespearean voice and believed himself to be the heir of The King of Pop?” Adamson said.

The challenge became not letting Jackson overwhelm the story. “It’s similar in ways to Amadeus in that the story isn’t really about Mozart; it’s about Salieri. Yes, it does function as a Michael Jackson biopic, but he’s not really the protagonist.”

Bubbles topped 2015’s Black List. Soon afterward, Adamson was tapped to adapt Alcon Entertainment’s psychological thriller The Ice Twins, based on S.K. Tremayne’s book about a family turned upside-down after an accident kills one of their twin daughters.

Then producer Andrew Kortschak of End Cue, along with Dan Harmon and his Starburns Industries production company, acquired Bubbles to become a stop-motion animated feature. Harmon was an executive producer of Anomalisa, nominated for a 2016 Best Animated Film Oscar.

“Bubbles wasn’t conceived as animation, and I think that’s part of what Starburns found appealing, given their aesthetic,” Adamson said. “The brand of hyper-realistic stop-motion animation they pioneered in Anomalisa, besides looking amazing, solves a lot of the practical puzzles in turning this script into an actual film, like how do we find an actor who looks like Michael Jackson, how do we train a chimpanzee to do the moonwalk, how can we recreate Neverland without spending a bajillion dollars.”

https://www.finaldraft.com/blog/2016/07/19/spec-spotlight-isaac-adamson-talks-bubbles/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secondly about that controversial producer who co-acquired the script (there's always something about these folk....):

Calls for Rick and Morty to be cancelled after Dan Harmon 'baby rape' video resurfaces

Rick and Morty co-creator Dan Harmon is facing criticism for an old video that has re-emerged, in which he simulates the rape of a baby doll in a parody of the TV series Dexter.

The video, which was created in 2009, was unearthed originally in 2018 and shared online by right-wing blogs. It has now resurfaced again, causing outrage and leading to calls for Mr Harmon’s Cartoon Network series Rick and Morty, which streams on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, to be cancelled.

The video was created for a monthly comedy sketch festival called Channel 101

Mr Harmon opens the video, saying, “Hi I’m Dan Harmon. You’re about to watch my controversial new pilot, Daryl.

“Now I have to warn you, I originally made it with Showtime for their audience because it’s a little groundbreaking for normal people to handle. But maybe you’ll surprise me. Good luck.”

The video then features a skit of Daryl, which is a parody of Showtime’s serial killer drama Dexter.

In the disturbing skit, Mr Harmon simulates raping a baby doll.

The clip has been shared hundreds of times on social media, with people commenting their disgust and some saying Rick and Morty should be cancelled or using the hashtag #savethechildren

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/rick-and-morty-dan-harmon-video-cancelled-a4525151.html

Back