Michael Jackson Estate Sues ABC Over TV Special

It's funny how the Estate can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.. they can't even sue correctly! haha when they defend Michael, it's not the right way..

Yall can hate on me too, that's fine.. Cuz I know even me (a huge MJ fan) have not defended in the most proactive way many times.. I've walked away from a lot of opportunities to convince people about a lot of positive things about Michael..

It's funny how the Estate can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.. they can't even sue correctly! haha when they defend Michael, it's not the right way..

Yall can hate on me too, that's fine.. Cuz I know even me (a huge MJ fan) have not defended in the most proactive way many times.. I've walked away from a lot of opportunities to convince people about a lot of positive things about Michael..
I do not think the Estate care, nor should they. They know what they can or can not do; and I am ONE who say most of the time, they should not say nothing unless something gets out of hand; but overall, no. No need in giving something more attention than otherwise it would not get.

They cannot. This is all they can do.

giphy.gif

On a sidenote: The Estate mentions they are the owner also on the Triumph-Tour-footage. I allways asked me who will be the owner of the brothers-tour. So Triumph-Tour belongs to the Estate.

That's interesting! - Hope they can release it then!!

Yes that is interesting. Do you think they had to acquire the rights or did MJ already own the rights when he died?

Well this isn’t gonna help push Disney to ever release a Captain EO DVD/3D Bluray...

I mean it probably wasn’t ever going to happen anyways... but still

Can't help, but like the headline ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don’t mess with the estate of Michael Jackson. <a href="https://t.co/fdzLcbUqqV">https://t.co/fdzLcbUqqV</a></p>&mdash; Entertainment Tonight (@etnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/etnow/status/1001942577568890880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">30. Mai 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes that is interesting. Do you think they had to acquire the rights or did MJ already own the rights when he died?

I would have thought that Michael kept the rights to everything he filmed, or arranged to be filmed, but I confess I don't know anything concrete about copyrights to concert footage, especially from as far back as the Triumph Tour. Triumph International Inc., which was Michael's licensing company, only began in 1982 and was cancelled in 2003, when MJ Licensing LLC was established.

I would have thought that Michael kept the rights to everything he filmed, or arranged to be filmed, but I confess I don't know anything concrete about copyrights to concert footage, especially from as far back as the Triumph Tour. Triumph International Inc., which was Michael's licensing company, only began in 1982 and was cancelled in 2003, when MJ Licensing LLC was established.

Triumph Tour was with his brothers so they could have some rights too. Estate might need their permission if they wanted to release it.

Triumph Tour was with his brothers so they could have some rights too. Estate might need their permission if they wanted to release it.
The Jacksons on Facebook keep mentioning the Triumph Tour and even asked if we wanted a DVD of it. Of course I answered yes.
Every comment I make on their page mentions a release.
If enough people beg....

Jaywonder in another Forum posted the copyright-registriation. Michael holds the copyrights to the Forum-concert, casette 84 min.

Don`t know how to post it. Don`t know if the brothers have to agree for a release from the Estate but sure the brothers can`t release it without the Estate.

Jaywonder in another Forum posted the copyright-registriation. Michael holds the copyrights to the Forum-concert, casette 84 min.

Don`t know how to post it. Don`t know if the brothers have to agree for a release from the Estate but sure the brothers can`t release it without the Estate.
I'm sure they all have to be on board, but don't think it would be that hard. The brothers (except Randy) seem to be OK with it, and the Estate gets pestered about it too.
I'd like to see that concert before I croak.

The brothers would not decline a release of material.. they are game hungry, and a perfect way to piggy back off of mj being in the tour..

Can you imagine using Disney's intellectual property – like Mickey Mouse, Cinderella, Star Wars, The Avengers, Toy Story, and so many other works – without asking Disney's permission or getting a license?

The Estate has no choice but to vigorously protect its intellectual property, which is the lifeblood of its business."

"We believe the special to be another crass and unauthorized attempt to exploit the life, music and image of Michael Jackson without respect for Michael's legacy, intellectual property rights or his children." The Estate of Michael Jackson
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ues-disney-for-copyright-infringement-w520916

Yay for the Estate. Lately, ABC/Disney are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Uuuggghh

Hey, that's me :)

Here's the screenshot
CLCKCL6.png

Throwing fake songs on an album was certainly showing a lot of respect to his legacy. Anyway I do applaud the estate for this.

oh 'The Forum' this place will always trigger one of the greatest memories of my life.. meeting and hearing Michaels This Is It Rehearsal! Which BTW for those who are not aware - a lot of the This Is It footage was taken from there and not really the Staple Center., they spliced the two locations together.. (maybe due to MJ's condition - who knows)

Anyways, I digress

Will they let this expire like the last claim they made?

https://theblast.com/michael-jackson-estate-lawsuit-abc-disney/

ABC and Disney Claim They Did Nothing Wrong in Michael Jackson Estate Lawsuit

August 14, 2018 at 7:37 am PDT

ABC and Disney claim they had every right to use Michael Jackson music in their documentary special, “The Last Days of Michael Jackson,” and wants the estate’s lawsuit against them dismissed.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, ABC and Disney say their use of songs like “Billie Jean,” “Bad,” “Thriller” and “Black or White” are protected by the doctrine of fair use under the Copyright Act.

ABC and Disney claim they had every right to use Michael Jackson music in their documentary special, “The Last Days of Michael Jackson,” and wants the estate’s lawsuit against them dismissed.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, ABC and Disney say their use of songs like “Billie Jean,” “Bad,” “Thriller” and “Black or White” are protected by the doctrine of fair use under the Copyright Act.

As ABC and Disney explain, they are permitted “to use limited excerpts of copyrighted works — here, in most instances well less than 1% of the works — for the purpose of reporting on, commenting on, teaching about, and criticizing well-known public figures of interest in biographical documentaries without fear of liability from overzealous copyright holders.”

They believe they did just that, claiming, “ABC News used and incorporated short excerpts of some songs, music videos and other material featuring Jackson within a two-hour documentary entitled The Last Days of Michael Jackson for the purpose of providing historical context and explanation tracing the arc and aspects of Jackson’s life and career.”

ABC and Disney wanted the lawsuit tossed and are asking for fees and costs.

As The Blast previously reported, the estate claims “The Last Days of Michael Jackson” used songs and videos that belong to the estate.

The lawsuit claimed, “Disney used this music without obtaining required permissions from both the owners of the sound recordings (the Estate) and the owner of the musical compositions (the Estate for most songs, and third parties for a few others).”

The case is ongoing.

Remember I loved Disney, but I can say is that they have NO RIGHT going against they Estate claiming they did nothing wrong, but they did, they have no permission and they act like the documentary was positive, but it's NOT, we went against it and they're gonna lose the case to the Estate anyways.

Ok well I'm not surprised that they tried to defend their position. What company wouldn't??
The trouble with this is Disney have been so overzealous in protecting their own IP over the years and have generated negative headlines because of it, now they're trying to justify their use of the MJ Estate's property and it makes them look like hypocrites IMO. Sad thing is Disney will probably win this case. They do have some basis for their argument in law, even though I do think they pushed the boundaries of what the law intended though. IF they do win this case be prepared to see all kinds of similar docs coming out, saying whatever they link, all using MJs music, videos etc. It's inevitable IMO.

Does this mean we will never see the Estate and Disney cooperate over a Captain EO release? :(

Does this mean we will never see the Estate and Disney cooperate over a Captain EO release? :(

No, it has nothing to do with each other.

Businesses can sue each other with some problems and work together with other stuff. - Look at Apple and Samsung...

No, it has nothing to do with each other.

Businesses can sue each other with some problems and work together with other stuff. - Look at Apple and Samsung...

I'm not sure the Estate are a global tech giant...

ChrisC;4228124 said:
I'm not sure the Estate are a global tech giant...

?? No they are not... But they are a global business, so it's absolutely the same. There can be a dispute over something but they can easily work together with other things&#8230; Not a problem at all.

The Estate has had problems with John Landis, Quincy Jones, Paul Anka etc. etc. - but they still work together with other stuff.

Hess;4228189 said:
?? No they are not... But they are a global business, so it's absolutely the same. There can be a dispute over something but they can easily work together with other things&#8230; Not a problem at all.

I appreciate you're saying it might not be. But it could just as easily be the opposite. Neither of us know the details.

Again, I'm not sure Paul Anka complaining to the Estate is comparable to Samsung vs Apple.

I also feel projects the Estate co-authored with the likes of Landis may have been part of a settlement deal or similar.

Back